DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Designing a work table (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/339849-re-designing-work-table.html)

Joe May 4th 12 08:09 PM

Designing a work table

Subject: Designing a work table

Bill wrote in :

I need to build a table to mount a machinist vise and for sharpening (a
table to to "boot from" in computer parlance). My "Work-Mate" is not
suitable for those things. I started-out with a design incorporating
M&T joinery, and then I got more realistic.

I just finished a design I put on my web site to sha
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

I plan to use SYP for the top--in fact, that was my starting point.
One thing I'm still not decided on is how to attach the 2by4's on each
end to the 4by4 legs. Nailing an extra piece of 2by4 to left and right
side of each joint, like a bandaid, would probably work (but is surely
"pitiful" technique).

By the way, it may look a little unorthodox, but I put the strechers on
the inside to buy myself a little leg room. I'm not actually sure
whether the 3 1/2 inches will really make much difference. Also, in my
current design, all assembly is done with nails.

I'd welcome any comments anyone would care to provide.

Cheers!
Bill

Make it a little wider, say 26-28". That way, if you build a piece
2'x4' it will fit on the table easily. I'm going to have to extend the
top of my workbench a bit for that exact reason... The width was good,
but the length was exactly 48".
You may want to consider making the bottom support a shelf or cabinet.
Not only will it add some rigidity, but you'll gain some storage space.
Instead of putting the supports inside the legs, consider making the base
a little smaller than the top. That way, you'll have clamping space
around the entire top (near the edges) and you'll get the knee space you
desire. At 37" tall, you'll want to stand to use the bench, so it's
probably more important to make room for your feet.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
From: Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com
Bill wrote in :

[...]

I noticed distinct similarities between your proposed design and my
mostly finished reality. I plan turning the bottom of the bench into a
cabinet to try to keep some of the dust off my less-used tools. The big
thing on top isn't part of the bench, it's a project. ;-)
http://www.puckdroppersplace.us/other/bench.jpg
A couple things to note:
1) The bench top is designed to allow for clamping. It's at least two
inches larger than the base for that reason.
2) The drawer height is designed to allow an item to remain clamped to
the top while the drawer is opened.
3) The drawers open from either end (convenient!)
4) The legs are just 1x material. They are two pieces joined at a right
angle, which allowed installation of the shelf and drawer box.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
From: "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net
------------
I always recommend a shelf a few inches under the top. This creates a space
where you can put tools that can be easily accessed when working. And gets
them out of the way when you don't need them. I have that on my primary
shop bench and it has been a super time saver and organizer. Then put one
or two more shelves under there. You can never have too many shelves or
storage space in a shop.
Make the bench sturdy. One way to do this is to simply make it heavier.
Use heavier materials and stack stuff on the shelves. The heavier it is,
the more stable of a work surface that you will have. Particularly
important if mounting a vise on the bench.
Wimpy, light weight benches are mostly useless. Be a man! Be macho! Don't
build a pussy bench! And if you want to make it a bit stronger, use some
construction adhesive where possible. Nails are OK. I would personally use
screws. I built a lot of things with glue and screws. Some of those things
are still going strong after 30 years.

From: Limp Arbor

On May 4, 6:47=A0am, "G.W. Ross" wrote:

I would put the upper cross pieces on the side of the legs rather than
on top. =A0Nailing into the end grain of the legs will not hold as well.

--
G.W. Ross

I used to be sane, but I'm feeling
much better now.- Hide quoted text -

A lot of good suggestions that I'll agree with
1 top cross pieces on sides of legs
2 notch legs to inset stretchers
3 top should overhang on all 4 sides
4 use screws or bolts - nails back out easier
Another thing you you might want to consider is two feet. I connected
the legs of my bench at the bottom with a foot. Helps prevent
racking. Makes it easier to level. Makes it easier to move. You msy
not plan on it now but at some point you'll put something in that vise
to bend or beat on and you want the bench stable.
http://www.swigerwoodworks.com/images/Workbench_011.jpg
(not mine)
-----------------------------
From: "G.W. Ross" )

Limp Arbor wrote:
On May 4, 6:47 am, "G.W. wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

on top. Nailing into the end grain of the legs will not hold as well.

--
G.W. Ross

I used to be sane, but I'm feeling
much better now.- Hide quoted text -

A lot of good suggestions that I'll agree with
1 top cross pieces on sides of legs
2 notch legs to inset stretchers
3 top should overhang on all 4 sides
4 use screws or bolts - nails back out easier

Another thing you you might want to consider is two feet. I connected
the legs of my bench at the bottom with a foot. Helps prevent
racking. Makes it easier to level. Makes it easier to move. You msy
not plan on it now but at some point you'll put something in that vise
to bend or beat on and you want the bench stable.
http://www.swigerwoodworks.com/images/Workbench_011.jpg
(not mine)

I built both of mine similar but no overhang in back--I screwed the
back legs to the wall.
No racking or shaking.

From: Limp Arbor
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking

I need to build a table to mount a machinist vise and for sharpening (a
table to to "boot from" in computer parlance). =A0My "Work-Mate" is not
suitable for those things. =A0I started-out with a design incorporating
M&T joinery, and then I got more realistic.

I just finished a design I put on my web site to sha
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

I plan to =A0use SYP for the top--in fact, that was my starting point.

-
Limp Arbor wrote:

Bill wrote:
I need to build a table to mount a machinist vise and for sharpening
(a table to to "boot from" in computer parlance). My "Work-Mate" is
not suitable for those things. I started-out with a design
incorporating M&T joinery, and then I got more realistic.

I just finished a design I put on my web site to sha
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

I plan to use SYP for the top--in fact, that was my starting point.
One thing I'm still not decided on is how to attach the 2by4's on each
end to the 4by4 legs. Nailing an extra piece of 2by4 to left and right
side of each joint, like a bandaid, would probably work (but is surely
"pitiful" technique).

It's a work table. You need 4x4 legs like a hole in the head but hey, it's
your table, use 'em if you want 'em. Nail/screw 2x4s to them all the way
around at the top, ditto at bottom if you feel the need for stretchers.
Fasten on top. Done. If you do use 4x4 legs, I'd cut out 1/2 so 2x4s sit
flush to them.

-------------------
I'm in the process of doing the same thing.

i'm using a plan from Path: news.usenetserver.com!s05-b32.iad!npeersf02.iad.highwinds-media.com!npeer03.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.glorb.com!newsfeed1.swip.net!news.a straweb.com!border6.a.newsrouter.astraweb.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking

From: "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 10:11:18 -0400

From: Limp Arbor
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 05:37:42 -0700 (PDT)

Bill wrote:

[...]

Get free backup service using Drop Box
Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
Bonus space provided using this link: http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 09:52:13 -0400
From: "G.W. Ross"
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html

From: "dadiOH"
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 07:49:17 -0400

Bill wrote:
[...]

-------------------------
Bill-

I'm in the process of doing the same thing.

I'm using a plan from http://www.woodsmithshop.com/downloa...-workbench.pdf
with slight modifications. Mine will be wall mounted, a couple
of inches higher, have two shelves, and go all the way to the floor to
keep out dust and critters. There's also a video available. Panels on the
sides provide stability. See the picture in the a.b.pictures.woodworking
group.

A fancier version using the same design but out of maple and with
drawers is in Woodsmith - 133 - Feb 2001 - Heavy Duty Workbench.

Your plan looks top-heavy and like it might stand a good chance of racking,
especially after mounting a vise. I think stretchers like are shown on the plan
would work better. If it's wall mounted, that may solve it, depending on how
you mount it. See also the picture of how Woodsmith mounts a machinist's
vise to the same table.
-J

Bill[_37_] May 5th 12 12:44 AM

Designing a work table

I'm using a plan fromhttp://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/206/heavy-duty-workbench.pdf
with slight modifications. Mine will be wall mounted, a couple
of inches higher, have two shelves, and go all the way to the floor to
keep out dust and critters. There's also a video available. Panels on the
sides provide stability. See the picture in the a.b.pictures.woodworking
group.

A fancier version using the same design but out of maple and with
drawers is in Woodsmith - 133 - Feb 2001 - Heavy Duty Workbench.

Your plan looks top-heavy and like it might stand a good chance of racking,
especially after mounting a vise. I think stretchers like are shown on the plan
would work better. If it's wall mounted, that may solve it, depending on how
you mount it. See also the picture of how Woodsmith mounts a machinist's
vise to the same table.
-J

I may indeed borrow the idea of using an "overlap joint" for my
stretchers, which is the key part of what you are suggesting, I believe.

Dare I try to make such joints with a hand-held circular saw and a
chisel? No replies from any SS owners please! : )

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 5th 12 02:48 AM

Designing a work table

Bill wrote:

I may indeed borrow the idea of using an "overlap joint" for my
stretchers, which is the key part of what you are suggesting, I
believe.
Dare I try to make such joints with a hand-held circular saw and a
chisel? No replies from any SS owners please! : )

Don't even need the chisel Bill.

--

-Mike-

Bill[_37_] May 5th 12 03:23 AM

Designing a work table

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I may indeed borrow the idea of using an "overlap joint" for my
stretchers, which is the key part of what you are suggesting, I
believe.
Dare I try to make such joints with a hand-held circular saw and a
chisel? No replies from any SS owners please! : )

Don't even need the chisel Bill.

Cool. I'll try it then. When I've seen folks do it on TV,
they make a bunch of cuts with a TS (maybe it was a hand saw?) and then
use a chisel. I guess you are suggesting that, towards the end, you
can use the circular saw a little like a router!

Lee Michaels[_3_] May 5th 12 05:00 AM

Designing a work table

"Bill" wrote in message
Joe wrote:
[...]

I have made a ton of things with lap joints. I used both radial arm saws
and circular saws. If you make enough cuts, almost nothing is left in the
bottom of the joint. Any chisel work is just to clean it up and make it
absolutely flat. But if you do a good enough job with the cuts, almost
nothing is left to smooth out.

Lew Hodgett[_6_] May 5th 12 06:15 AM

Designing a work table

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

I have made a ton of things with lap joints. I used both radial arm
saws and circular saws. If you make enough cuts, almost nothing is
left in the bottom of the joint. Any chisel work is just to clean
it up and make it absolutely flat. But if you do a good enough job
with the cuts, almost nothing is left to smooth out.

------------------------------------
A blade with a flat top grind makes life easier.

Lew

Dave[_52_] May 5th 12 08:00 AM

Designing a work table

On Fri, 4 May 2012 22:15:59 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
I have made a ton of things with lap joints. I used both radial arm

A blade with a flat top grind makes life easier.

And, a dado blade makes lap joints a breeze.

Bill[_37_] May 5th 12 08:42 AM

Designing a work table

Dave wrote:
On Fri, 4 May 2012 22:15:59 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
I have made a ton of things with lap joints. I used both radial arm

A blade with a flat top grind makes life easier.

And, a dado blade makes lap joints a breeze.

That wouldn't be sportsman-like! ; )

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 5th 12 12:57 PM

Designing a work table

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I may indeed borrow the idea of using an "overlap joint" for my
stretchers, which is the key part of what you are suggesting, I
believe.
Dare I try to make such joints with a hand-held circular saw and a
chisel? No replies from any SS owners please! : )

Don't even need the chisel Bill.

Cool. I'll try it then. When I've seen folks do it on TV,
they make a bunch of cuts with a TS (maybe it was a hand saw?) and
then use a chisel. I guess you are suggesting that, towards the
end, you can use the circular saw a little like a router!

You can cut your half laps with cuts from two different directions. One
down through the end grain, and one cross cut.

--

-Mike-

dadiOH[_3_] May 5th 12 01:21 PM

Designing a work table

Bill wrote:

I may indeed borrow the idea of using an "overlap joint" for my
stretchers, which is the key part of what you are suggesting, I
believe.
Dare I try to make such joints with a hand-held circular saw and a
chisel? No replies from any SS owners please! : )

You could. It would be a lot easier with a bandsaw. Not hard with a table
or radial saw either...just make a number of crosscuts to the proper depth,
pop out the excess, clean up with chisel and/or rasp. Do it the same way
with a circular saw. You could even use a chain saw. Or a hand saw.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Steve Turner[_3_] May 5th 12 02:48 PM

Designing a work table

On 5/5/2012 2:42 AM, Bill wrote:
Dave wrote:
On Fri, 4 May 2012 22:15:59 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
I have made a ton of things with lap joints. I used both radial arm
A blade with a flat top grind makes life easier.

And, a dado blade makes lap joints a breeze.

That wouldn't be sportsman-like! ; )

A good sharp No. 71 (or 71-1/2) Stanley router plane is a great tool for
cleaning up the irregularities left by the saw blade at the bottom of a dado or
rabbet. A lot more fun and very sportsman-like. :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Bill[_31_] May 5th 12 06:25 PM

Designing a work table

On 5/5/2012 8:21 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Bill wrote:

I may indeed borrow the idea of using an "overlap joint" for my
stretchers, which is the key part of what you are suggesting, I
believe.
Dare I try to make such joints with a hand-held circular saw and a
chisel? No replies from any SS owners please! : )

You could. It would be a lot easier with a bandsaw. Not hard with a table
or radial saw either...just make a number of crosscuts to the proper depth,
pop out the excess, clean up with chisel and/or rasp. Do it the same way
with a circular saw. You could even use a chain saw. Or a hand saw.

Good points. Not all of them apply to making the cut in the middle of a
4by4. I don't have a table saw yet. I didn't quite realize I could
count on a BS for glue-able flatness--I suppose with a 1/2" blade (which
I have).

Among other things, this table is going to be my "Scarey-Sharp"
sharpening station. I may have to practice my Scarey-Sharp technique in
the kitchen first before I complete this project! : )

Thanks!
Bill

tiredofspam May 6th 12 01:38 AM

Designing a work table

Bill you've seen the Nike commercials.. The ones that say

JUST DO IT

right?

JUST DO IT!

Lew Hodgett[_6_] May 6th 12 01:53 AM

Designing a work table

"tiredofspam" wrote:

Bill you've seen the Nike commercials.. The ones that say

JUST DO IT

right?

JUST DO IT!

--------------------------------------
Then Bill would have to quit "window shopping" and start spending some
money.

It isn't ever going to happen.

Lew

Bill[_37_] May 6th 12 04:18 AM

Designing a work table

tiredofspam wrote:
Bill you've seen the Nike commercials.. The ones that say

JUST DO IT

right?

JUST DO IT!

....Working on getting to it. Hang in there!

I... woke up this morning...
Lookin' 'round for my shoes....
Some cat stole my Nikes...
and now I got the walking blues;

They was just there yesterday..
Just sitting next to my saw..(tenny's ain't good for working ya know)
And they was still there this morning...
I may never shake these walking blues,
Cause a certain man thinks I'm boring;

(With all due apologies to Robert Johnson) : )

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 6th 12 05:32 AM

Designing a work table

tiredofspam wrote:

Bill you've seen the Nike commercials.. The ones that say

JUST DO IT

right?

JUST DO IT!

Ugh-oh... I'm going to get blamed for this post...

Oh well, since I am, I'll just echo the sentiment!

Do it and learn from it!

There - I feel better now...

--

-Mike-

Bill[_37_] May 6th 12 05:39 AM

Designing a work table

Mike Marlow wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:

Bill you've seen the Nike commercials.. The ones that say

JUST DO IT

right?

JUST DO IT!

Ugh-oh... I'm going to get blamed for this post...

Oh well, since I am, I'll just echo the sentiment!

Do it and learn from it!

There - I feel better now...

Good, it's too late for me to write another verse! lol.

tiredofspam May 6th 12 03:57 PM

Designing a work table

On 5/6/2012 12:32 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:

Bill you've seen the Nike commercials.. The ones that say

JUST DO IT

right?

JUST DO IT!

Ugh-oh... I'm going to get blamed for this post...

Oh well, since I am, I'll just echo the sentiment!

Do it and learn from it!

Exactly. That's how you get better.

There - I feel better now...

tiredofspam May 6th 12 04:04 PM

Designing a work table

BTW Bill, everyone makes mistakes.

What makes a good woodworker, or any craftsperson, is how they fix their
mistakes.

You learn to hide, or enhance it. Sometimes you take a different tack...
But you'll never learn until you do. And after a while it will become
second nature. You'll find yourself not thinking about it, just doing
it. Along the road you will feel very good when you complete a process
and it went well and looks well.

Making anything is just learning to work in order, and chunk it down.
Don't be overwhelmed, just chunk it down.

Learning to work efficiently is learning to work:
In order You can't build draws until the carcas is complete.
On something else while something is drying.

Just keep going, make a mistake?? Figure out how you can fix it.
If you can't start again on that module.

Bill[_37_] May 6th 12 10:33 PM

Designing a work table

tiredofspam wrote:

Making anything is just learning to work in order, and chunk it down.
Don't be overwhelmed, just chunk it down.

Learning to work efficiently is learning to work:
In order You can't build draws until the carcas is complete.
On something else while something is drying.

Yes, I have been somewhat surprised to find myself using the same
principles in my woodworking-related projects that I would use in
non-woodworking work. Especially Lists!

And I'm still struggling with the idea that I don't have to save all of
my documentation! : )

I'll be able to get back to ww stuff soon.

The AC broke today (only blows room temperature air). But, I'm a little
ahead of the game this year, compared to last year when it also broke
(twice: solenoid and a pin-hole leak). I had mentioned it last year,
else I wouldn't have brought it up. I just examined the solenoid, and
it is not "split" like last year, so it's time to call a pro.

A lightning strike last week took out the furnaces of two houses accross
the street. I considered myself lucky. But I'm not sure whether a big
electrical strike to the ground could cause a refrigerant leak, like I
suspect I probably have, or not. Since I'll be paying the bill either
way it's sort of an academic question. : )

Puckdropper[_2_] May 6th 12 11:00 PM

Designing a work table

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

*snip*

You learn to hide, or enhance it. Sometimes you take a different tack...
But you'll never learn until you do. And after a while it will become
second nature. You'll find yourself not thinking about it, just doing
it. Along the road you will feel very good when you complete a process
and it went well and looks well.

*snip*

Sometimes the best place to hide a mistake is in plain sight. Just leave
it there and don't advertise it.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Bill[_37_] May 7th 12 07:59 AM

Designing a work table

tiredofspam wrote:
Bill you've seen the Nike commercials.. The ones that say

JUST DO IT

One thing I try to impress upon my students is

Design, Design, Design!

Some of them don't understand, so I may explain with more emphasis:

Design, Design, Design, Design, Design, Design! (slight exaggeration)

I say, "You're nodding, but I still don't think you appreciate it (what
is behind the words) enough".

I suggest that when confronted with a job interview, or similar, that
they could do a lot worse than to reveal a sacred point of view
regarding design. At least they encountered one person who defended a,
perhaps, unusually-euphoric reverence for it.

Admittedly, I explain, a careful design may be of less importance on a
project you intend to build by yourself in one day. Still, the world
might be a better place if more people embraced the D-word.
For a software developer, I consider it evidence of maturity.

I am almost reticent to share now that I think it holds its
weight in this environment too. How likely is it that a result will be
superior to a plan? Experience has shown too that the sooner one can
identify a problem, the cheaper and easier it is to fix it. It is
interesting to note that, timewise, cutting wood, depending on how one
defines cutting wood fibers, may amount to less than 1% of a ww project,
yet it, the materials, could represent a significant proportion of the
cost of the project. The woodworking materials may not even be directly
replaceable. In short, there is probably adequate time to DO IT, after
one has crafted a design. Of course, as most everyone is aware, design
can take many forms, such as building a prototype, or involve practicing
the unfamiliar, but don't get me started...

Cheers, with a capital D,
Bill

Puckdropper[_2_] May 7th 12 11:30 AM

Designing a work table

Bill wrote in :

tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

A driver has to deliver packages to points A, B, C, D, E and F. The
route can use any legal street. Calculate the best route. Design 1:
Find the best route between all roads. Design 2: Just do it. Design 3:
Avoid the worst, don't worry about minor inefficiencies.

Results
-------
Design 1: Starts extremly slowly, but extremely efficient when done...
Except locations C and D have moved, E went out of business and A has
sued for failure to comply with the delivery contract.

Design 2: Starts immediately, but is usually rather inefficient. The 20
mile round trip takes 200 miles and two tanks of gas while the driver
attempts to go through a construction zone traffic jam.

Design 3: Starts reasonably quickly, but is usually good enough. The 20
mile round trip takes 25 miles, avoids the traffic jam and the driver is
home in time to watch Roy, Tommy Mac and the guy with the moustache on
Woodsmith Shop.

If you look at your projects as a series of goals, and divide them into
major and minor goals then address the major ones in the design and get
as many of the minor ones in as possible you'll most likely get a good
result. Strive for perfection, but recognize when "good enough" has been
attained and stop there.

Puckdropper

--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

dadiOH[_3_] May 7th 12 12:22 PM

Designing a work table

Bill wrote:

snip

Admittedly, I explain, a careful design may be of less importance on a
project you intend to build by yourself in one day. Still, the world
might be a better place if more people embraced the D-word.
For a software developer, I consider it evidence of maturity.

I am almost reticent to share now that I think it holds its
weight in this environment too. How likely is it that a result will
be superior to a plan?

Very. What seems like a good idea on paper is often stupid or impossible in
reality.

There are times when strict adherence to a plan is necessary but IMO & IME
hobbyist woodworking is not among them.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Bill[_37_] May 7th 12 12:33 PM

Designing a work table

Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in :

tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

Led by me, my students and I solved your problem a few years ago.
All you really need is a time or distance function dist(p1, p2) between
each pairs of points p1 and p2 in {A, B, C, ..., F} and a "brute force"
search (through all of the possibilities). Once you find a route, you
need not consider a longer one, so the search list is not
insurmountable. I think the shipping companies take this many steps
further. With gas at $4/gallon, you can't afford to assume all of your
drivers are equally equipped to choose a good route. In fact, you'd
probably prefer that they be driving rather than looking at maps.

Results
-------
[...]

Yes, I basically agree. "Lists" are my secret to getting things done. I
use separate lists for home, work and play.

Strive for perfection, but recognize when "good enough" has been
attained and stop there.

It's not even easy to get "good enough" out of a lot of people. Good
luck to you with your results if you request it! I can see the stacks
of folded shirts at JC Penny's now which are folded "good enough"! : )

Cheers,
Bill

Puckdropper

Bill[_37_] May 7th 12 01:00 PM

Designing a work table

dadiOH wrote:
Bill wrote:

snip

Admittedly, I explain, a careful design may be of less importance on a
project you intend to build by yourself in one day. Still, the world
might be a better place if more people embraced the D-word.
For a software developer, I consider it evidence of maturity.

I am almost reticent to share now that I think it holds its
weight in this environment too. How likely is it that a result will
be superior to a plan?

Very. What seems like a good idea on paper is often stupid or impossible in
reality.

I have to yield to your experience in woodworking, which is certainly
far greater than mine. But, I'm on the 3rd version (plan) of my work
table now and i have not wasted a single board. Without this approach,
I'd still be building the 1st inferior version. I built, almost by the
seat of my pants, when I was a teenager. Now I draw more. Perhaps after
I've acquired more experience I'll draw less. At the level I'm at now,
I make stupid mistakes if I'm not careful--and having a plan helps me be
careful.

There are times when strict adherence to a plan is necessary but IMO& IME
hobbyist woodworking is not among them.

No one said anything about strict adherence. I know people struggling
in life because they don't have and won't make a plan (seriously)...

Best to you,
Bill

Bill[_37_] May 7th 12 01:23 PM

Designing a work table

dadiOH wrote:

There are times when strict adherence to a plan is necessary but IMO& IME
hobbyist woodworking is not among them.

Where does designing jigs, for instance, fit in there? That's about the
last thing I want to have to do when the planets are aligned and I have
the time to actually be running machinery. I would confess, if I ended
up in that position, that I hadn't planned well.

J. Clarke[_2_] May 7th 12 01:58 PM

Designing a work table

In article , says...

Bill wrote:

snip

Admittedly, I explain, a careful design may be of less importance on a
project you intend to build by yourself in one day. Still, the world
might be a better place if more people embraced the D-word.
For a software developer, I consider it evidence of maturity.

I am almost reticent to share now that I think it holds its
weight in this environment too. How likely is it that a result will
be superior to a plan?

Very. What seems like a good idea on paper is often stupid or impossible in
reality.

There are times when strict adherence to a plan is necessary but IMO & IME
hobbyist woodworking is not among them.

Depends on the project. For a first of anything sometimes it's better
to start hacking and see what develops. The result may suck but you'll
have a better understanding of the problem when you go to do a top down
design.

In the case of the "first bench", get a load of nails and 2x6s from Home
Despot and hammer something vaguely bench-like together and you'll have
killed two birds. First you'll have a work surface, however crappy, and
second after you've used it a while you'll have a better idea of what
you really want.

Swingman May 7th 12 02:04 PM

Designing a work table

On 5/7/2012 1:59 AM, Bill wrote:

I am almost reticent to share now that I think it holds its
weight in this environment too. How likely is it that a result will be
superior to a plan? Experience has shown too that the sooner one can
identify a problem, the cheaper and easier it is to fix it.

The difference between mediocrity and supremacy is attention to detail;
and that detail is the essence of what a plan/design provides.

You just described the importance of using a design tool, which was why
it was so exciting to me to get my hands on an easy to use design tool
like Sketchup when it first became available.

Make a detailed plan, and execute the plan, and you can win wars and
build skyscrapers.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Bill[_37_] May 7th 12 02:35 PM

Designing a work table

Swingman wrote:
On 5/7/2012 1:59 AM, Bill wrote:

I am almost reticent to share now that I think it holds its
weight in this environment too. How likely is it that a result will be
superior to a plan? Experience has shown too that the sooner one can
identify a problem, the cheaper and easier it is to fix it.

The difference between mediocrity and supremacy is attention to detail;
and that detail is the essence of what a plan/design provides.

You just described the importance of using a design tool, which was why
it was so exciting to me to get my hands on an easy to use design tool
like Sketchup when it first became available.

Make a detailed plan, and execute the plan, and you can win wars and
build skyscrapers.

Put me down as a believer. I'm struggling to convert the masses. I
think it's a great deal easier to become a believer AFTER you've learned
your way around SU a bit. Everytime I use SU, it shows me my technique
isn't all that good, but that's a work in progress! %-)

Lee Michaels[_3_] May 7th 12 03:22 PM

Designing a work table

"J. Clarke" wrote

In the case of the "first bench", get a load of nails and 2x6s from Home
Despot and hammer something vaguely bench-like together and you'll have
killed two birds. First you'll have a work surface, however crappy, and
second after you've used it a while you'll have a better idea of what
you really want.

I have built a bunch of these temporary benches over the years. Some of
them are still going after thirty years. They don't die. One idea that
just spontaneously occurred was to put one outside. This becomes a work
surface that is available, when weather permits, and doesn't tie up shop
space. One bench I set up had the top warp a bit. I just took some 2 X 6's
and nailed them on the top it. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. I have also
done this with plywood.

I built a wood box out of 2 X 12's and put a plywood bottom on it. When I
moved I was going to cut it up and burn it. I set it out on the patio in
back and turned it over. It became my outside work bench. I recently
screwed in some deck screws to control some warping on the side. The top is
still good and fairly level. It just keeps going and going. It has been
out there for about seven years now.

Never under estimate the usefulness of simple building materials banged
together for a certain purpose. Every thing you build does not have to be
art or furniture. Sometimes quick and dirty is all that is needed and can
provide some useful support for more complex builds. It can also happen
much more quickly than more complex builds. Saves a bunch of time.

chaniarts[_3_] May 7th 12 04:58 PM

Designing a work table

On 5/7/2012 4:33 AM, Bill wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in :

tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

a simple djikstra's algorithm

Results
-------

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 7th 12 06:08 PM

Designing a work table

Bill wrote:

I have to yield to your experience in woodworking, which is certainly
far greater than mine. But, I'm on the 3rd version (plan) of my work
table now and i have not wasted a single board. Without this
approach, I'd still be building the 1st inferior version. I built,
almost by the seat of my pants, when I was a teenager. Now I draw
more. Perhaps after I've acquired more experience I'll draw less. At
the level I'm at now, I make stupid mistakes if I'm not careful--and
having a plan helps me be careful.

Well Bill - as one of the more consistent voices encouraging you to get out
and do it, I'll step back and say that I absolutely understand what you are
saying here. I think you raise a very valid point. I spend untold amounts
of time thinking my way through new ventures, and considering the
alternatives. Like you - when I finally get at it, I don't want any more
re-runs than are necessary. For me - I come up with ideas in my own head.
Then, I utilize tools like google to validate whether my homegrown ideas
have merit or weaknesses. That part of my process is usually reasonably
quick. If I find something that I can't resolve between my ideas and what I
see others doing, then I'll throw it out to a community like this for input.
It usually does not take me long to resolve this entire process and to get
moving on into production. So - what I'm saying is simply that I do
understand your reluctance.

All that said - for small, simple, cheap things like your table project...
there is an equally valid notion that says if you just go do it, you'll
learn from it. You'll learn those things that you are trying to get all in
a row right now. Sure... you'll make a mistake and have to re-do something.
Oh well - that's not all that bad. If you are trying to engage in something
new, and to plan it so precisely as to anticipate the ultimate in perfection
on your first go around, you're probably putting too much emphasis on the
planning part. Hell - with the best of planning, we can still find a way to
screw something up.

What most of us are trying to say when we say to just do it, is that you
simply cannot fully plan the perfect execution, and despite the best of
planning, you will have other aspects of the job (actually using the tools
for example), that fall outside of the plan. You can plan the job
perfectly, but until you master some of the mechanical skills, the plan is
just an abstraction.

The two go together, and as much as planning is a requirement, doing the
work is an equal requirement.

There are times when strict adherence to a plan is necessary but
IMO& IME hobbyist woodworking is not among them.

No one said anything about strict adherence. I know people struggling
in life because they don't have and won't make a plan (seriously)...

Sure - a very valid point. Equally so are the numbers of people who never
got out of the box because they just couldn't get past the analysis stage.
Remember - after the perfect plan, comes the ability to perfectly execute
the plan. That only comes with practice and... unfortunately - some amount
of mistakes.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 7th 12 06:12 PM

Designing a work table

Bill wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

There are times when strict adherence to a plan is necessary but
IMO& IME hobbyist woodworking is not among them.

Where does designing jigs, for instance, fit in there? That's about
the last thing I want to have to do when the planets are aligned and
I have the time to actually be running machinery.

Agreed! The worst part of jigs in my opinion is the distraction they create
from the actual work process, to me. Damn! Another set up type of
requirement. I just want to get going! But - that's a tad different from
over planning on the front end.

I would confess,
if I ended up in that position, that I hadn't planned well.

Maybe so. Or - maybe not. I've encountered many tasks where I discovered
mid-project that I needed something I had not anticipated. That can happen
for a lot of reasons. If you consider that to be poor planning, then I fear
you will never get out of the planning stages of anything.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 7th 12 06:20 PM

Designing a work table

Swingman wrote:

The difference between mediocrity and supremacy is attention to
detail; and that detail is the essence of what a plan/design provides.

For some things - agreed. Very much so. For other things - not so much.
Some things are purely utilitarian, and detail be damned. For example - I
need a sawhorse now. I can spend all kinds of time designing and creating
the perfect sawhorse, or I can crudely knock one together to get the job
done. Who really cares if it has any usefullness beyond the next 20 hours?
I simply need to get this done. So - there is a simple case where ability
and capability, accompanied by a modicum of experience, result in perfection
in time of need. Not at all elegant. Might even end up in the burn pile at
the end. So what? Didn't need art.

You just described the importance of using a design tool, which was
why it was so exciting to me to get my hands on an easy to use design
tool like Sketchup when it first became available.

Inarguable when it comes to the stuff you normall deal in. Different
though, when dealing with utilitarian stuff.

Make a detailed plan, and execute the plan, and you can win wars and
build skyscrapers.

Only if the skyscraper actually ever begins to be built.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 7th 12 06:22 PM

Designing a work table

Bill wrote:

Put me down as a believer. I'm struggling to convert the masses.

So - the guy who has not put nail to wood is attempting to convert the
masses? Silly.

think it's a great deal easier to become a believer AFTER you've
learned your way around SU a bit.

That's a fine belief, but how do you really expect to convince people who
actually perform the work you dream of, without all of that elaborate
planning?

Everytime I use SU, it shows me my
technique isn't all that good, but that's a work in progress! %-)

Wait until you discover what your hammer and your saw actually show you.

--

-Mike-

Swingman May 7th 12 06:30 PM

Designing a work table

On 5/7/2012 12:20 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

[...]

Perfect examples why you will never win a war, or build a skyscraper. :)

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Leon[_7_] May 7th 12 06:49 PM

Designing a work table

On 5/7/2012 8:35 AM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 5/7/2012 1:59 AM, Bill wrote:

[...]

If it makes you feel any better I was an AutoCAD LT user and installed
Sketchup 3 times before I left it on my computer. IIRC it was the first
program to be installed on my new computer.

It does take a different way of thinking and the more you use it the
more you learn.

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 7th 12 06:53 PM

Designing a work table

Swingman wrote:

Perfect examples why you will never win a war, or build a skyscraper.
:)

I have done the equivelent of both by knowing when to think too much and
when to act. I know you too well now Karl - and I know that you too have
figured this out. But - that is not coming through in your posts. Come
on - you've never - or you don't hack a quick fix together to get you
through something? I'm going to call bull**** on you on that one.

--

-Mike-

dadiOH[_3_] May 7th 12 07:27 PM

Designing a work table

Bill wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

There are times when strict adherence to a plan is necessary but
IMO& IME hobbyist woodworking is not among them.

Where does designing jigs, for instance, fit in there? That's about
the last thing I want to have to do when the planets are aligned and
I have the time to actually be running machinery. I would confess,
if I ended up in that position, that I hadn't planned well.

I don't know where it fits.

Jigs are a result of a need, either a onetime or frequent need. For one
time use, down and dirty is good enough. For others, I try to build in some
versatility. As an example, consider my ex-step father in law...

One time he visited he spied my newly made router table. He then set out to
design his. He spent five years - FIVE YEARS - doing so. Many, many plan
revisions. Highly detailed plans (he was an enginner/draughtsman).

His final revision called for it to be put together with mortise and tenon
joints. Don't ask me why, I don't know but it presented a problem for him so
he made a jig to make them. The jig he made was ONLY good for that one time
use...for the lumber sizes he was using. It would have been easy to make it
so it could be used in a more universal manner.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...