Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Fluorescent light question

Some good ideas, no winners, though.

No starters, just the ballasts. Used starters on the fish
tanks for years so I knew what to look for. sorry I didn't
mention it to start with.

3 of 4 are grounded using a 3-wire cord, the other has
the ground wire attached to a screw. Connection is good.
I could try a 12' ground rod through the floor, I guess.

They have Sylvania WORKSHOP F40 bulbs that are
always replaced in pairs except for a GE SHOPLIGHT
I just stuck in - it does the same thing.

Switch good - when turned on in warm weather they glow
dimly, then one or the other may come on.
-J

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe invalid writes:

Some good ideas, no winners, though.

No starters, just the ballasts. Used starters on the fish
tanks for years so I knew what to look for. sorry I didn't
mention it to start with.

3 of 4 are grounded using a 3-wire cord, the other has
the ground wire attached to a screw. Connection is good.
I could try a 12' ground rod through the floor, I guess.

They have Sylvania WORKSHOP F40 bulbs that are
always replaced in pairs except for a GE SHOPLIGHT
I just stuck in - it does the same thing.

Switch good - when turned on in warm weather they glow
dimly, then one or the other may come on.
-J

The ballasts may be overheating. is there air space between
the fixture and the ceiling?

Otherwise, the ballasts probably need replacement.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe " invalid wrote in message

Some good ideas, no winners, though.

No starters, just the ballasts. Used starters on the fish
tanks for years so I knew what to look for. sorry I didn't
mention it to start with.

3 of 4 are grounded using a 3-wire cord, the other has
the ground wire attached to a screw. Connection is good.
I could try a 12' ground rod through the floor, I guess.

They have Sylvania WORKSHOP F40 bulbs that are
always replaced in pairs except for a GE SHOPLIGHT
I just stuck in - it does the same thing.

Switch good - when turned on in warm weather they glow
dimly, then one or the other may come on.
-J

It's possible that your ground wire isn't actually connected to a
good solid ground. Easy to test and risky not to.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

Some good ideas, no winners, though.

3 of 4 are grounded using a 3-wire cord, the other has
the ground wire attached to a screw. Connection is good.
I could try a 12' ground rod through the floor, I guess.

Well, if you do that, just make sure to wrap a #4 stranded copper around it
to ward off skin effect...

Switch good - when turned on in warm weather they glow
dimly, then one or the other may come on.

I have to say - I have never seen this happen. Have you measured your
voltage to ensure there's not a voltage problem? This would really only be
a consideration if they are all on the same lighting circuit though.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Buy a new ballast for one, install it and see if there is any change,
for the good, in that light. If so, change the ballasts. If not,
then it's probably a ground issue.

Replacing the fixtures, maybe? I bought seven 4-bulb fixtures (T-8
bulbs) for $35 a piece at Lowes. I didn't think that was a high
price. I got one "damaged" fixture (broken bulb only) for $10.
Check for damaged fixtures for discount purchasing.... at Home Depot,
also.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2012 6:27 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Some good ideas, no winners, though.

3 of 4 are grounded using a 3-wire cord, the other has
the ground wire attached to a screw. Connection is good.
I could try a 12' ground rod through the floor, I guess.

Well, if you do that, just make sure to wrap a #4 stranded copper around it
to ward off skin effect...

Switch good - when turned on in warm weather they glow
dimly, then one or the other may come on.

I have to say - I have never seen this happen. Have you measured your
voltage to ensure there's not a voltage problem? This would really only be
a consideration if they are all on the same lighting circuit though.

OR static electricity build up?? I have seen a restaurant owner turn on
the switch to his out side florescent lights, and then use a broom to
actually touch all of the tubes before they would come on. He gently
brushed them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 26, 7:25*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

Almost certainly indicates a faulty ground.