Posted to rec.woodworking

Default big vertical bandsaw blades

What are people here using on their large vertical bandsaws (30"+) for
resawing and rough cutting from green logs?

Highland Hardware's wood slicer maxs out at 137".

Timberwolf has longer blades available. I've used them on my 18" saw, and
wouldn't rule them out for my other saw, but I'm exploring options.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

What are people here using on their large vertical bandsaws (30"+) for
resawing and rough cutting from green logs?

Highland Hardware's wood slicer maxs out at 137".

Timberwolf has longer blades available. I've used them on my 18" saw,
and wouldn't rule them out for my other saw, but I'm exploring options.

I don't know why you say that...

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodslicer12resawbandsawblades138to166.aspx

They may not be pre-made to the exact length you want/need, but they're
certainly available (to 240" or so iirc)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
What are people here using on their large vertical bandsaws (30"+) for
resawing and rough cutting from green logs?

Highland Hardware's wood slicer maxs out at 137".

Timberwolf has longer blades available. I've used them on my 18" saw,
and wouldn't rule them out for my other saw, but I'm exploring options.

I don't know why you say that...

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodslicer12resawbandsawblades138to166.aspx

They may not be pre-made to the exact length you want/need, but they're
certainly available (to 240" or so iirc)

Hmmm....

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...73to24 8.aspx

is the range but "**Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery of custom lengths**"
isn't very handy...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

is the range but "**Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery of custom
lengths**" isn't very handy...

Double-hmmm...I hadn't ordered anything from them and hadn't noticed the
lead time disclaimer. That's surprising to me it would be anyways close
to that long.

You might look at Woodcraft and see what you think...they have Laguna
and Olson as well as their house brand. Didn't see lead time mentioned

http://www.woodcraft.com/Category/1002125/Bandsaw-Blades.aspx

The bandsaw is the chief place I'm under-equipped badly but I never seem
to get around to doing anything about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...

is the range but "**Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery of custom
lengths**" isn't very handy...

Double-hmmm...I hadn't ordered anything from them and hadn't noticed the
lead time disclaimer. That's surprising to me it would be anyways close
to that long.

You might look at Woodcraft and see what you think...they have Laguna and
Olson as well as their house brand. Didn't see lead time mentioned

http://www.woodcraft.com/Category/1002125/Bandsaw-Blades.aspx

The bandsaw is the chief place I'm under-equipped badly but I never seem
to get around to doing anything about it.

I did something about it but still don't have the saw up and running. The
saw is too tall (about 8') for my walkout basement shop so I had to increase
the size of my woodshed and raise the roof--a project still in process as my
bicycle trip last year burned all discretionary resources then and I'm still
trying to catch up. It shouldn't be too much longer...

Big saws show up on Craigs List from time to time but some folks think they
are priceless judging by the asking prices. There is one there now where the
guy is asking about 9 times what I paid for mine and my cost includes a new
1 p Baldor 5 HP motor and a new starter/switch. His saw is in rough shape
too... mine came with brand new tires, bearings and paint! Crazy thing is he
thinks he's giving it away by citing Google searches showing saws running
about double what he is asking... he has no idea what he's doing or he
thinks people are stupid! LOL

Troll Craig's List often... there are some deals on there. An 18" Jet, that
looks pretty clean, showed up yesterday for $549.
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/tls/2952575791.html

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

"dpb" wrote in message

You might look at Woodcraft and see what you think...they have Laguna
and Olson as well as their house brand. Didn't see lead time mentioned

http://www.woodcraft.com/Category/1002125/Bandsaw-Blades.aspx

I had a paper catalog handy and notice they say 4-6; only slightly
better. Try looking for American National Knife in NC--they supply the
industry down there w/ knives and cutters; I'm not positive about blades
but I'd think so. I've used them for the knives for my old Model 13 and
former PM 180 planer; they're _very_ knowledgable/helpful (but not
necessarily cheap) if you really do need quick they might be better
suited for larger stuff than the general mail order places that cater to
hobbyist mostly.

The bandsaw is the chief place I'm under-equipped badly but I never
seem to get around to doing anything about it.

I did something about it but still don't have the saw up and running.
The saw is too tall (about 8') for my walkout basement shop so I had to
increase the size of my woodshed and raise the roof--a project still in
process as my bicycle trip last year burned all discretionary resources
then and I'm still trying to catch up. It shouldn't be too much longer...

Troll Craig's List often... there are some deals on there. An 18" Jet,
that looks pretty clean, showed up yesterday for $549.
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/tls/2952575791.html

Since I've returned to the farm it's a long, long way to anywhere of any
size that has any probability at all of anything of interest showing up.
I'd have far better luck in the Raleigh or neighborhood there and
sometime arranging to pick something up on a trip to elder son who is in
Raleigh or younger who's in N KY around Cincy. I did pick up an old
shaper from a guy from the ODU (Old Dominion, Richmond) when they closed
their pattern-making shop out of their industrial arts programs a number
of years ago and brought it back. It's from the Rockwell era when
bought out Walker-Turner; is hybrid of the two. Interestingly, the
fence casting has same identical casting number as the HD Delta until
the X series were introduced...

Anyway, I agree that old iron would be the ideal way; it's just been
inconvenient enough to not do so what with the farming getting in the
way of "important stuff"...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
What are people here using on their large vertical bandsaws (30"+) for
resawing and rough cutting from green logs?

Highland Hardware's wood slicer maxs out at 137".

Timberwolf has longer blades available. I've used them on my 18" saw,
and wouldn't rule them out for my other saw, but I'm exploring options.

I don't know why you say that...

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodslicer12resawbandsawblades138to166.aspx

They may not be pre-made to the exact length you want/need, but they're
certainly available (to 240" or so iirc)

Need green wood blades too... the Wood Slicer isn't recommended for that due
to the thin kerf. Didn't find general purpose blades in the 220" range....
Did I miss them too?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 20:29:12 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

What are people here using on their large vertical bandsaws (30"+) for
resawing and rough cutting from green logs?

Highland Hardware's wood slicer maxs out at 137".

Timberwolf has longer blades available. I've used them on my 18" saw, and
wouldn't rule them out for my other saw, but I'm exploring options.

You might want to check out this supplier in North Carolina.

http://www.woodcraftbands.com

Their web site is a little cheesy, you have to call them to place your
order, but they have (or will make) your size and their prices are
unbeatable.

I have never ordered from them myself but I don't think I've ever seen
so many positive reviews about any other vendor on any of the larger
woodworking forums I read. (sawmillcreek, lumberjocks, ncwoodworker)

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&...il lcreek.org

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&...ber jocks.com

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&...od worker.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What are people here using on their large vertical bandsaws (30"+) for
resawing and rough cutting from green logs?

Highland Hardware's wood slicer maxs out at 137".

Timberwolf has longer blades available. I've used them on my 18" saw, and
wouldn't rule them out for my other saw, but I'm exploring options.

You might want to check out this supplier in North Carolina.

http://www.woodcraftbands.com

Thanks for the lead. Prices for 220" blades look quite reasonable and the
write ups are favorable...

I'm not sure how to interpret the one comment where the guy wrote "Been
running this blade on my main saw for over 12 years now." Is that one blade
in 12 years or a series of them? If one I'm not sure it's an endorsement as
the saw apparently doesn't get used much!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:50:13 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
I'm not sure how to interpret the one comment where the guy wrote "Been
running this blade on my main saw for over 12 years now." Is that one blade
in 12 years or a series of them? If one I'm not sure it's an endorsement as
the saw apparently doesn't get used much!

I'm guessing he's saying that he's used this same supplier for 12
years. If it's the reason of a single blade for long time use or
non-use, then that's still an endorsement of a type. A blade lasting
12 years sounds like a good purchase to me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:50:13 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
I'm not sure how to interpret the one comment where the guy wrote "Been
running this blade on my main saw for over 12 years now." Is that one
blade
in 12 years or a series of them? If one I'm not sure it's an endorsement
as
the saw apparently doesn't get used much!

I'm guessing he's saying that he's used this same supplier for 12
years. If it's the reason of a single blade for long time use or
non-use, then that's still an endorsement of a type. A blade lasting
12 years sounds like a good purchase to me.

Yeah...sort of like Filson clothing catalog endorsements... people have had
the stuff for decades. I shred double-tin brush pants in 2-3 seasons of
pheasant hunting.... got about 10 years out of a shelter cloth upland coat
but a tin cloth vest and a tin cloth jacket have been used during the same
period too. Yup... some stuff lasts seemingly forever if you don't use it
much. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

What are people here using on their large vertical bandsaws (30"+) for
resawing and rough cutting from green logs?

Highland Hardware's wood slicer maxs out at 137".

Timberwolf has longer blades available. I've used them on my 18" saw, and
wouldn't rule them out for my other saw, but I'm exploring options.

Laguna Tools sells several different types of blades for big saws and all
are available by the inch up to whatever outrageous size you might want.
Not cheap but their turnaround should be pretty good since they make their
living supporting commercial users who won't wait patiently.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
Won't Highland make you up a blade to your specs?

You have a 30+ bandsaw... Nice... Not that I have a need. But way nice.

What are people here using on their large vertical bandsaws (30"+) for
resawing and rough cutting from green logs?

Highland Hardware's wood slicer maxs out at 137".

Timberwolf has longer blades available. I've used them on my 18" saw,
and wouldn't rule them out for my other saw, but I'm exploring options.

Another user helped me find them on the site. 6-8 week lead times for the
wood slicer blades.

I have 18" and 36" saws and getting the 36" up and running is my next shop
related project. The saw was the cheap part... it's the building to house it
and the time that is the expensive part! LOL

FS-Bandsaw Blades Gunner Metalworking 18 May 19th 06 06:02 PM
New Bandsaw: What blades? [email protected] Woodworking 15 January 20th 06 09:46 PM
bandsaw blades rick pixley Woodturning 10 May 17th 05 05:01 PM
bandsaw blades Mike Leskowyak Woodturning 5 April 8th 05 04:18 PM
Bandsaw Blades [email protected] Woodturning 13 January 30th 05 04:34 AM