Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Trimming Edging

I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is thick
(1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs to be trimmed
to exact size.

A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the
plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be rather
difficult to handle on cuts like this.

What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is
thick (1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs
to be trimmed to exact size.

A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the
plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be
rather difficult to handle on cuts like this.

What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?

Puckdropper

I frequently use a small Stanley plane like this:
http://www.stanleytools.com/default....Trimming+Plane

I keep it very sharp and hold it almost perpendicular to the edging, sliding
along it and cutting from the inside.

I suppose the problem you have with the router and flush trim but is keeping
the router stable on the narrow edge? You can mitigate that by clamping a
1x or 2x along the edge to widen it.

You can also trim it with a router riding on the plywood surface. You have
to temporarily attach a partial plate to the router so it is elevated above
the edging and so that thebit is free; you then lower the bit to almost kiss
the ply and then trim the edging. Much easier to do this when only twp
parallel sides are edged...do those, apply the other two edging strips, trim
those.

Mostly, I use the little plane. And yes, it is easier to use than a block
plane, much smaller, easy to use in one hand, guiding and controling it with
one hand.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Puckdropper wrote:
I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is
thick (1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs
to be trimmed to exact size.

A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the
plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be
rather difficult to handle on cuts like this.

What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?

Puckdropper

I frequently use a small Stanley plane like this:
http://www.stanleytools.com/default....YPE=PRODUCT&PA
RTNUMBER=12-101&SDesc=Small+Trimming+Plane

I keep it very sharp and hold it almost perpendicular to the edging,
sliding along it and cutting from the inside.

I suppose the problem you have with the router and flush trim but is
keeping the router stable on the narrow edge? You can mitigate that
by clamping a 1x or 2x along the edge to widen it.

You can also trim it with a router riding on the plywood surface. You
have to temporarily attach a partial plate to the router so it is
elevated above the edging and so that thebit is free; you then lower
the bit to almost kiss the ply and then trim the edging. Much easier
to do this when only twp parallel sides are edged...do those, apply
the other two edging strips, trim those.

Mostly, I use the little plane. And yes, it is easier to use than a
block plane, much smaller, easy to use in one hand, guiding and
controling it with one hand.

I had the same problems. With the iron-on veneer trim, it's relatively
easy with either a sharp utility knife, or a medium-fine rasp file,
followed by careful sanding. The 1/4" solid wood is different. I had
the most luck with the "Flush-trim Jig" described in Shopnotes August
2010.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in news:4f72d928$0$7575$c3e8da3
:

I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is thick
(1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs to be trimmed
to exact size.

A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the
plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be rather
difficult to handle on cuts like this.

What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?

In similar cases in the past, I've trimmed the edging down using a scraper.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2012 4:26 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is thick
(1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs to be trimmed
to exact size.

A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the
plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be rather
difficult to handle on cuts like this.

What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?

The problem is the router has a tendency to tip because it riding on
such a thin edge.

Simplest solution is to clamp more plywood flush with the edge the
router is riding on to give you a thicker, more stable, base for your
router base to sit on.

Good opportunity to buy a laminate trimmer, like the Bosch Colt, which
is made for that very task and much easier to handle.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 3/28/2012 4:26 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging
is thick (1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it
needs to be trimmed to exact size.

A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the
plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be
rather difficult to handle on cuts like this.

What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?

The problem is the router has a tendency to tip because it riding on
such a thin edge.

Simplest solution is to clamp more plywood flush with the edge the
router is riding on to give you a thicker, more stable, base for your
router base to sit on.

Good opportunity to buy a laminate trimmer, like the Bosch Colt, which
is made for that very task and much easier to handle.

Or the one from HF, which is about $100 cheaper ($28 vs $125).
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ter-44914.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2012 4:26 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is thick
(1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs to be trimmed
to exact size.

A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the
plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be rather
difficult to handle on cuts like this.

What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?

Puckdropper

Clamp a piece of 2x4 between the piece you are working on and another
piece set at the same height as you are working on. Your router now has
a 3 inch wide platform to set on.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28 Mar 2012 09:26:01 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is thick
(1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs to be trimmed
to exact size.

A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the
plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be rather
difficult to handle on cuts like this.

Are you careful to check the grain before planing?
What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?

Tape off the plywood with a gap between the tape and edging, then
smooth it with a cabinet scraper. (my choice) I don't put a hook on
scrapers, preferring to use them honed, not burnished. They're a bit
less aggressive that way, and the edge seems to last longer.

or

Set up your regular router (with a wide enough bit) to cut an RCH
above flush, lay another piece of the same plywood next to the edging
for support, and run that puppy over the edging. Sand to fit.

or

Get a violinmaker's plane and use it. Use a very thin clamp-on board
as a fence to keep the blade off the plywood. It requires precision.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,230,41182

--
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28 Mar 2012 09:26:01 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is thick
(1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs to be trimmed
to exact size.

A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the
plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be rather
difficult to handle on cuts like this.

What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?

Oops, forgot one. I have a set of these and they're great for tiny
work. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...81&cat=1,50230
These might be the easiest tool for your task, Pucky.

--
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2012 5:26 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is thick
(1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs to be trimmed
to exact size.

A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the
plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be rather
difficult to handle on cuts like this.

What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?

Puckdropper

Hmmm. I tried to post this from Google Groups earlier, but no luck.

I'm a novice, but this is what I did. My edging was oak 1x2; it was the
3/4" edge that needed trimming. I set a rabbet plane to 3/4" width and a
pretty fine cut. The fence kept me from straying onto the main surface.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7874/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7691/lightbox/

I took the pics after I had trimmed the edge, to show someone what I had
done. I think I used the depth gauge, set level with the sole of the
plane, although it's not shown in the photo. It worked well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2012 9:46 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Sorry. Of course the gauge would have been set slightly /below/ the sole
of the plane, even with the cutting edge of the iron.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
b.com...

I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is thick
(1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs to be trimmed
to exact size.

A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the
plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be rather
difficult to handle on cuts like this.

What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?

http://www.patwarner.com/vertical_trim_subbase.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote in
:

On 3/28/2012 9:46 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Hmmm. I tried to post this from Google Groups earlier, but no luck.

I'm a novice, but this is what I did. My edging was oak 1x2; it was
the 3/4" edge that needed trimming. I set a rabbet plane to 3/4"
width and a pretty fine cut. The fence kept me from straying onto the
main surface.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7874/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7691/lightbox/

I took the pics after I had trimmed the edge, to show someone what I
had done. I think I used the depth gauge, set level with the sole of
the plane, although it's not shown in the photo. It worked well.

Sorry. Of course the gauge would have been set slightly /below/ the
sole of the plane, even with the cutting edge of the iron.

That's an interesting idea... I don't have one of those planes, but I do
have a Stanely #192 rabbet plane. With a fence along the plywood edge,
the same basic effect could be achieved.

I've got several of these to do, so there's lots of opportunity to try
different things (and screw up!)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 28 Mar 2012 09:26:01 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is
thick (1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs to
be trimmed to exact size.

A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the
plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be
rather difficult to handle on cuts like this.

Are you careful to check the grain before planing?
What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?

Tape off the plywood with a gap between the tape and edging, then
smooth it with a cabinet scraper. (my choice) I don't put a hook on
scrapers, preferring to use them honed, not burnished. They're a bit
less aggressive that way, and the edge seems to last longer.

I don't have a scraper, but it looks like one'll be easy enough to make.
I've got an old saw that's not worth my time to sharpen and some method
to cut a piece off... (Lotsa options, probably try the hacksaw first then
the angle grinder.)

or

Set up your regular router (with a wide enough bit) to cut an RCH
above flush, lay another piece of the same plywood next to the edging
for support, and run that puppy over the edging. Sand to fit.

I'm not sure how that would work. Wouldn't the base of the router tend
to ride up on the edging, preventing the bit from making a square cut?

or

Get a violinmaker's plane and use it. Use a very thin clamp-on board
as a fence to keep the blade off the plywood. It requires precision.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,230,41182

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

The problem is the router has a tendency to tip because it riding on
such a thin edge.

Simplest solution is to clamp more plywood flush with the edge the
router is riding on to give you a thicker, more stable, base for your
router base to sit on.

Good opportunity to buy a laminate trimmer, like the Bosch Colt, which
is made for that very task and much easier to handle.

I haven't tried this with a smaller router, but the big one still wanted to
tip a bit. I'll have to give it a try with the smaller router.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/12 7:57 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Good opportunity to buy a laminate trimmer, like the Bosch Colt, which
is made for that very task and much easier to handle.

Or the one from HF, which is about $100 cheaper ($28 vs $125).
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ter-44914.html

I was going to buy that but upon closer inspection, discovered the
base/fence were absolute crap and virtually unusable.
Besides that, it seemed fine. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2012 10:17 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Greg wrote in
:

[...]

I suppose the only drawback would be that the fence would obscure the
ply, making it more difficult to tell when you've got it flush. There
are a bunch of the #78 on Ebay, most of them auction format, currently
under $20. I don't know what they typically end at. One guy's got a Buy
It Now for $60.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have used a regular sized router and flush trim bit.
What I do is take two sides that need to be flushed.
I put a small piece of 2x4 between them on each end, clamp them together
so that the 2 objects that need trimming support the router. Then I trim
inside the channel using the other sides support.
Then I flip the pieces and put the outside edges in the channel and do
those sides. I already know that the pieces are straight..

I have also done it with a number 4 smoother keeping only the blade on
the edging, and highly skewed.

And also a scraper. The flush trim bit proved the easiest.

On 3/28/2012 5:26 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is thick
(1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs to be trimmed
to exact size.

A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the
plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be rather
difficult to handle on cuts like this.

What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28 Mar 2012 14:30:41 GMT, Puckdropper
[...]

Go for it!

or

Set up your regular router (with a wide enough bit) to cut an RCH
above flush, lay another piece of the same plywood next to the edging
for support, and run that puppy over the edging. Sand to fit.

I'm not sure how that would work. Wouldn't the base of the router tend
to ride up on the edging, preventing the bit from making a square cut?

Oops! You're right. (Armchair suggestion.) So, first, file a small
groove in your base plate, or make a new C-style base plate.

--
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:04:07 -0700, "CW" wrote:

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is thick
(1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs to be trimmed
to exact size.

A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the
plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be rather
difficult to handle on cuts like this.

What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?

================================================= =======

http://www.patwarner.com/vertical_trim_subbase.html

Pat comes through yet again!

--
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Swingman wrote in
:

The problem is the router has a tendency to tip because it riding on
such a thin edge.

Simplest solution is to clamp more plywood flush with the edge the
router is riding on to give you a thicker, more stable, base for your
router base to sit on.

Good opportunity to buy a laminate trimmer, like the Bosch Colt,
which is made for that very task and much easier to handle.

I haven't tried this with a smaller router, but the big one still
wanted to tip a bit. I'll have to give it a try with the smaller
router.

Puckdropper

It helps if you don't use the router handles to hold move it. Try using
your thumbs on the baseplate with fingers extending down onto each side of
the ply to help steady it vertically.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/28/12 7:57 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Good opportunity to buy a laminate trimmer, like the Bosch Colt,
which is made for that very task and much easier to handle.

Or the one from HF, which is about $100 cheaper ($28 vs $125).
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ter-44914.html

I was going to buy that but upon closer inspection, discovered the
base/fence were absolute crap and virtually unusable.
Besides that, it seemed fine. :-)

I wouldn't know. I've always used a trimming bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote in
:

On 3/28/2012 10:17 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

That's an interesting idea... I don't have one of those planes, but I
do have a Stanely #192 rabbet plane. With a fence along the plywood
edge, the same basic effect could be achieved.

I've got several of these to do, so there's lots of opportunity to
try different things (and screw up!)

Puckdropper

I suppose the only drawback would be that the fence would obscure the
ply, making it more difficult to tell when you've got it flush. There
are a bunch of the #78 on Ebay, most of them auction format, currently
under $20. I don't know what they typically end at. One guy's got a
Buy It Now for $60.

I tried it, and that's exactly what happened. It would work if I had
some kind of stop (sacrificial piece of ply next to it plus a shim?),
but there's better ways to do it.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/28/12 7:57 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Good opportunity to buy a laminate trimmer, like the Bosch Colt,
which is made for that very task and much easier to handle.

Or the one from HF, which is about $100 cheaper ($28 vs $125).
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ter-44914.html

I was going to buy that but upon closer inspection, discovered the
base/fence were absolute crap and virtually unusable.
Besides that, it seemed fine. :-)

I wouldn't know. I've always used a trimming bit.

I received one of those HF trimmers as a gift a number of years ago... it
remains in the box as the base/fence are, as noted above, virtually
unusable. Perhaps there is a way to make it work that is counterintuitive
(compared to all the Porter Cable, Jet and Delta tools I own)???

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/29/2012 5:08 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Greg wrote in
:

[...]

In any case, I'm happy to have been able to *offer* advice for a change
around here.

Being, as I mentioned, a novice, I actually made a small mockup using
the same materials. I tried trimming the edge material with a router &
edge-trimming bit. I found that, at least in my hands, it was difficult
to keep the router level and the cut smooth. The rabbet plane worked
nicely and perhaps most importantly, was easier for me to control.

antenna trimming? mm Electronics Repair 40 December 12th 09 07:00 AM
Trimming the corners Puckdropper[_2_] Woodworking 3 July 26th 09 02:03 PM
Trimming a door to fit Daniel Prince Home Repair 25 July 7th 08 02:41 PM
Trimming Doors John UK diy 11 July 7th 06 12:37 PM
Trimming Hariplank [email protected] Woodworking 4 March 9th 05 03:29 PM