DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Metal Router Table Top (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/33754-metal-router-table-top.html)

WoodChuck34 July 28th 04 08:53 PM

Metal Router Table Top

Has anyone ever tried a Steel or Aluminum top in their shop made
router table. I will probably go with MDF again, but I have a bunch
of friend who are sell metal. I'm guessing you wouldn't need to thick
of a guage to hang a router under there. 1/4" of steel plate or sheet
would probably be overkill. Not sure how much a 2' x 2' piece would
weigh though.

Just a random thought. My double laminated, double layers MDF top
sagged a bit and the rail and stiles on the doors I just make fit
accordingly. My fault for never building a proper stand. Saw horses
are good until you finish the cabinet, but not a long term solution.

Chuck

Pat Barber July 28th 04 09:22 PM

Metal Router Table Top

Like this ????

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...rency=1&S ID=

Bruce Barnett July 29th 04 01:24 AM

Metal Router Table Top

(WoodChuck34) writes:

Has anyone ever tried a Steel or Aluminum top in their shop made
router table.

Well, the groove for the miter gauge was a PITA....

:-)

J. Clarke July 29th 04 02:46 AM

Metal Router Table Top

WoodChuck34 wrote:

Has anyone ever tried a Steel or Aluminum top in their shop made
router table. I will probably go with MDF again, but I have a bunch
of friend who are sell metal. I'm guessing you wouldn't need to thick
of a guage to hang a router under there. 1/4" of steel plate or sheet
would probably be overkill. Not sure how much a 2' x 2' piece would
weigh though.

Steel would be find if you don't mind the weight, have the tools to work it,
and bear in mind that dropping a carbide bit on a steel table is more
likely to chip the carbide than dropping it on a wood or MDF table--since
router bits are changed more frequently than saw blades this is a real
issue.

Just make sure you have it well grounded.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

WoodChuck34 July 29th 04 02:01 PM

Metal Router Table Top

Pat Barber wrote in message ...
Like this ????

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...rency=1&S ID=

Pat,

Yes, almost exactly like that except I wouldn't pay $200 for a piece
of steel I could probably get for $20.

Chuck

WoodChuck34 July 29th 04 02:03 PM

Metal Router Table Top

WoodChuck34 wrote:

Has anyone ever tried a Steel or Aluminum top in their shop made
router table. I will probably go with MDF again, but I have a bunch
of friend who are sell metal. I'm guessing you wouldn't need to thick
of a guage to hang a router under there. 1/4" of steel plate or sheet
would probably be overkill. Not sure how much a 2' x 2' piece would
weigh though.

Steel would be find if you don't mind the weight, have the tools to work it,
and bear in mind that dropping a carbide bit on a steel table is more
likely to chip the carbide than dropping it on a wood or MDF table--since
router bits are changed more frequently than saw blades this is a real
issue.

Just make sure you have it well grounded.

Good point on grounding, I wouldn't have thought of that. The other
idea I had is a steel plate with a single layer of MDF on top. I'm
looking to eliminate sagging.

chuck

Pat Barber July 29th 04 04:44 PM

Metal Router Table Top

That's a better choice in my opinion. In fact
several folks in years past have mentioned using
angle iron on the bottom. I suspect the angle
would do just as well as a steel plate.

Two pieces of 3/4" MDF will not start sagging
"right away"...

Michael Daly July 29th 04 06:44 PM

Metal Router Table Top

On 29-Jul-2004, Pat Barber wrote:

I suspect the angle
would do just as well as a steel plate.

If you don't care about the weight, that's true. However, if
you want to keep the weight down, almost any other combination
will do better than a steel plate.

A hardwood frame under the MDF will stiffen the MDF just as
well as steel but with less weight. Pound for pound, if you
get carried away and make hardwood-framed, MDF-skinned torsion
box, it will be way stiffer than a steel plate or steel angle
backed MDF sheet.

It ain't the material, it's how you use it.

Mike

Michael Daly July 29th 04 07:11 PM

Metal Router Table Top

On 29-Jul-2004, (WoodChuck34) wrote:

Yes, almost exactly like that except I wouldn't pay $200 for a piece
of steel I could probably get for $20.

That's $20 for the steel, but $180 for the finishing. If you don't care about
the quality of the surface, then save the $180. When I worked as a welding
inspector many years ago, I don't remember seeing too many sheets of steel
that were actually flat. Flat was something you had to work on. LV went a
step further and shaped it into a convex curve so that the table doesn't go
concave under the weight of the router. It would take a _long_ time to do
that by hand yourself and probably about $180 to have it done to your
$20 slab of steel.

Mike

J. Clarke July 29th 04 08:07 PM

Metal Router Table Top

WoodChuck34 wrote:

WoodChuck34 wrote:

[...]

There's a design floating around for a top that has some steel bar stock in
it for stiffening.

chuck

John Siegel July 30th 04 12:28 AM

Metal Router Table Top

I started with the metal base from a Sears router table - threw away the
cast aluminum top and fence as useless. Put on two rails using heavy
angle iron salvaged from an old bed frame. The top is commercial -
1"MDF with laminate on both sides. No sign of any sag using a large
router in a router lift. Weight was not a consideration. I built
drawers into the base and put the whole thing on a mobile base.
John

Basic Wedge July 30th 04 04:07 AM

Metal Router Table Top

It's the router clamping system, the inserts, and coining you pay for, and,
given how well it all works, you're getting a bargain.

Rob

-----------------------------

"WoodChuck34" wrote ...

Greg Ostrom July 30th 04 06:20 PM

Metal Router Table Top

http://www.metalsdepot.com/index.phtml

I got a chunk of 3/8 aluminum one foot square and made my own table insert.
The 6 inches or so from the bit seems to be enough flat area to allow nice
raised panel work.

Table deflection vs size. I looked up some engineering formulas. If a
given weight deflects a beam .005" and you double the length of the beam,
the deflection goes up a factor 8 to 0.04. I.E. it is important to supply
support close to the weight as it is a 3rd power law.

Greg

Unisaw A100 July 30th 04 10:37 PM

Metal Router Table Top

Table deflection vs size. I looked up some engineering formulas. If a
given weight deflects a beam .005" and you double the length of the beam,
the deflection goes up a factor 8 to 0.04. I.E. it is important to supply
support close to the weight as it is a 3rd power law.

Or you could just make it extra stiffy underneath.

UA100, extra stiffy underneath...