Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Good deal on 12 V drill at local megastore (USA)

Lowe's has the Bosch 12-Volt 3/8" cordless drill (PS31-2A) for $99
plus tax. I guess its nationwide.

I want one because it's no doubt much lighter and easier to
control than my 14.4 V DeWalt compact drill. Should do for most
drilling and screwing. I have two of their other 12 V products.
They work well.

BTW... If you already have the batteries, extra batteries can be
used to power a Dremel rotary tool, via wires. No need to chop up
the rotary tool body, you just need a wire and a spare male
battery plug (mine came from their flashlight). Sticking the
battery in my pocket or setting it on the table makes for a light
and nimble cutoff tool. And battery life is better than the stock
Dremel batteries. And they use a real lithium-ion battery charger,
unlike the cheap battery destroying charger that came with my old
Dremel cutoff tool. I like it so far, after significant use. The
rotary tool without the attached battery is easier to control.

--
This is not spam. Please feel free to advertise what you think is
a better deal.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2012 10:45 PM, John Doe wrote:
[...]

What is the Bosch return policy, before you buy. For me personally over
the past 24 years the only drill that had failed while I was using it
was a Bosch. That has happened 3~4 times and once at a WW show.

I too own Bosch routers and an 18volt Bosch Impact driver. I won the
Bosch impact driver and it is about 3 years old. I very seldom use it
over my 7 year old Makita Impact driver.

You may very well be very happy with it but I probably would never buy one.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Leon lcb11211 swbelldotnet wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

Well that just sounds weird. The vast majority of Bosch tool users
are satisfied.

Since it's from the local Lowe's, the first line of defense is
simply returning it to the store. That's one reason it's a good
deal.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"tiredofspam" wrote
That's because leon is a Festooly...
Anything but is a compromise to him.

A festooly?? Shouldn't that be spelled festoolee?? (My spell checker
doesn't like either term) Sounds like some kind of serious disease. Is
there a cure? Is it a condition that can be "managed"?

Perhaps some other terms could apply. Like...

Quality tool freak.
Tool excellence syndrome.
Tool one upmanship.
Quality import tool connoisseur.
Tool snob.
Tooling aristocrat.
Over the hill car guy losing his way.
Festool cult member.
Laguna cult member.

I am sure you guys can come up with a couple more.

Just thinking, what would a man hating shrink make of Leon's "tool disorder?
LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

I think you are right... Festool cult member...
they took him away and brainwashed him.
I will buy Festool.
I will buy Festool....
I will buy Festool....
I will buy Festool....
I will buy Festool....

On 3/2/2012 12:03 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"tiredofspam" wrote
That's because leon is a Festooly...
Anything but is a compromise to him.

A festooly?? Shouldn't that be spelled festoolee?? (My spell checker
doesn't like either term) Sounds like some kind of serious disease. Is
there a cure? Is it a condition that can be "managed"?

Perhaps some other terms could apply. Like...

Quality tool freak.
Tool excellence syndrome.
Tool one upmanship.
Quality import tool connoisseur.
Tool snob.
Tooling aristocrat.
Over the hill car guy losing his way.
Festool cult member.
Laguna cult member.

I am sure you guys can come up with a couple more.

Just thinking, what would a man hating shrink make of Leon's "tool
disorder? LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 8:37*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

I own several Bosch power tools. The 12 volt Lithium system has been
flawless. Their jigsaw second to none and drills and sanders have been
work horses. When a cpl of Bosch routers wore out, I replaced them
with Milwaukee. I don't like Bosch routers. Festool is my brand of
choice but not ALL their tools are head and shoulders above the rest.
Some are. NO brand has all bases covered.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

I have some bosch routers, 1617evs, I like them, I have one issue, the
quick release mechanism, I like the Milwaukee better.

I replace the motor cans on them, to Aluminum from Magnesium, I hated
the oxidation that prevented it from moving well. It took years but
Bosch finally owned up to the fact that the mag. was not working.
They now move like silk.

What is is that you don't like Rob?

On 3/2/2012 12:21 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I own several Bosch power tools. The 12 volt Lithium system has been
flawless. Their jigsaw second to none and drills and sanders have been
work horses. When a cpl of Bosch routers wore out, I replaced them
with Milwaukee. I don't like Bosch routers. Festool is my brand of
choice but not ALL their tools are head and shoulders above the rest.
Some are. NO brand has all bases covered.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

tiredofspam wrote:
I think you are right... Festool cult member...
they took him away and brainwashed him.
I will buy Festool.
I will buy Festool....
I will buy Festool....
I will buy Festool....
I will buy Festool....

On 3/2/2012 12:03 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"tiredofspam" wrote
That's because leon is a Festooly...
Anything but is a compromise to him.

A festooly?? Shouldn't that be spelled festoolee?? (My spell checker
doesn't like either term) Sounds like some kind of serious disease.
Is there a cure? Is it a condition that can be "managed"?

Hey Leon - I think they're picking on you. Don't let them get away with
that...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 1:04*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
I have some bosch routers, 1617evs, I like them, I have one issue, the
quick release mechanism, I like the Milwaukee better.

I replace the motor cans on them, to Aluminum from Magnesium, I hated
the oxidation that prevented it from moving well. It took years but
Bosch finally owned up to the fact that the mag. was not working.
They now move like silk.

What is is that you don't like Rob?

Mine were the 2 HP composite bodies with a rotating cam-like height
adjustment. The centre of the base and the centre of the bit would
never be the same as the motor body rotated during adjustment. The
switches were weak as well. The bearing, closest to the collet wore
out pretty quick. But as far as medium router power was concerned,
they were the best in their day (early 1980's)Smaller Porter Cable
routers were just starting to come out. I cannot comment on later
Bosch/(Craftsman) routers.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 1:08*pm, "Mike Marlow" wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:
I think you are right... Festool cult member...
they took him away and brainwashed him.
I will buy Festool.
I will buy Festool....
I will buy Festool....
I will buy Festool....
I will buy Festool....

On 3/2/2012 12:03 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"tiredofspam" wrote
That's because leon is a Festooly...
Anything but is a compromise to him.

A festooly?? Shouldn't that be spelled festoolee?? (My spell checker
doesn't like either term) Sounds like some kind of serious disease.
Is there a cure? Is it a condition that can be "managed"?

Hey Leon - I think they're picking on you. *Don't let them get away with
that...

--

-Mike-

Don't you worry about Leon. He knows he has the best and uses those
tools to their potential. No mismatch there.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
b.com...

"tiredofspam" wrote
That's because leon is a Festooly...
Anything but is a compromise to him.

A festooly?? Shouldn't that be spelled festoolee?? (My spell checker
doesn't like either term) Sounds like some kind of serious disease. Is
there a cure? Is it a condition that can be "managed"?

Perhaps some other terms could apply. Like...

Quality tool freak.
Tool excellence syndrome.
Tool one upmanship.
Quality import tool connoisseur.
Tool snob.
Tooling aristocrat.
Over the hill car guy losing his way.
Festool cult member.
Laguna cult member.

I am sure you guys can come up with a couple more.

Just thinking, what would a man hating shrink make of Leon's "tool disorder?
LOL
Everything has to have initials these days. HETS. High End Tool Syndrome.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 07:37:13 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

One sample is hardly evidence of anything.

I too own Bosch routers and an 18volt Bosch Impact driver. I won the
Bosch impact driver and it is about 3 years old. I very seldom use it
over my 7 year old Makita Impact driver.

I own seven Bosch drivers (three 12V drivers, 12V & 18V impacts, and 12V and
18V drill). No problems at all. Love the things.

You may very well be very happy with it but I probably would never buy one.

....on the basis of one failure.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
b.com:

"tiredofspam" wrote
That's because leon is a Festooly...
Anything but is a compromise to him.

A festooly?? Shouldn't that be spelled festoolee?? (My spell checker
doesn't like either term) Sounds like some kind of serious disease.
Is there a cure? Is it a condition that can be "managed"?

Perhaps some other terms could apply. Like...

Quality tool freak.
Tool excellence syndrome.
Tool one upmanship.
Quality import tool connoisseur.
Tool snob.
Tooling aristocrat.
Over the hill car guy losing his way.
Festool cult member.
Laguna cult member.

I am sure you guys can come up with a couple more.

Just thinking, what would a man hating shrink make of Leon's "tool
disorder? LOL

I vote for "tool snob".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

John Doe wrote:

[...]

Not weird at all. No tool manufacturer is great at everything. The
vast majority of Bosch tool users don't use Bosch drills.

Since it's from the local Lowe's, the first line of defense is
simply returning it to the store. That's one reason it's a good
deal.

As long as you are not stuck with your purchase should you not be pleased.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2012 10:30 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
That's because leon is a Festooly...
Anything but is a compromise to him.

LOL, No I was not a Bosch "drill" fan long before I knew Festool existed.

And as far as that goes, I still prefer my Milwaukee jig saw to the
current Festool jig saw. :~)
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2012 11:03 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"tiredofspam" wrote
That's because leon is a Festooly...
Anything but is a compromise to him.

A festooly?? Shouldn't that be spelled festoolee?? (My spell checker
doesn't like either term) Sounds like some kind of serious disease. Is
there a cure? Is it a condition that can be "managed"?

Perhaps some other terms could apply. Like...

Quality tool freak.
Tool excellence syndrome.
Tool one upmanship.
Quality import tool connoisseur.
Tool snob.
Tooling aristocrat.
Over the hill car guy losing his way.
Festool cult member.
Laguna cult member.

I am sure you guys can come up with a couple more.

Just thinking, what would a man hating shrink make of Leon's "tool
disorder? LOL

I like,,,

Number 1,2,4,,8, and 9. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2012 1:37 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 2, 1:08 pm, "Mike wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

Good save there Robatoy! Especially since I blame you personally for
showing me the way several years ago with a link to the Domino in
Europe. But then I showed Swingman the way and maybe Dave. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2012 12:04 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I have some bosch routers, 1617evs, I like them, I have one issue, the
quick release mechanism, I like the Milwaukee better.

I replace the motor cans on them, to Aluminum from Magnesium, I hated
the oxidation that prevented it from moving well. It took years but
Bosch finally owned up to the fact that the mag. was not working.
They now move like silk.

What is is that you don't like Rob?

On 3/2/2012 12:21 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I own several Bosch power tools. The 12 volt Lithium system has been
flawless. Their jigsaw second to none and drills and sanders have been
work horses. When a cpl of Bosch routers wore out, I replaced them
with Milwaukee. I don't like Bosch routers. Festool is my brand of
choice but not ALL their tools are head and shoulders above the rest.
Some are. NO brand has all bases covered.

I have one of the very first 1617EVS routers, I got it in the summer of
1998. The magnesium body was not a problem for me at all however the
motor housing oxidized immediately. I cleaned the motor housing up and
put TopCote on it IIRC and it has never been a problem in the past 10 or
so years. Was the motor housing magnesium too?

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2012 11:42 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Yes it was. and no I didn't try topcote on the housing.
But I am ok with the aluminum, maybe a little more mass, but not too bad.

Ahhhh well that all makes sense now. The inside of the outer body
seldom gets contaminated with your hands touching it inside and probably
why I never realized the problem, so to speak. I knew early on about
the complaints. I thought only the outer housing was magnesium as the
motor body appeared different in color and did not have the magnesium
imprint in it.

On 3/3/2012 12:34 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

John Doe wrote:

Lowe's has the Bosch 12-Volt 3/8" cordless drill (PS31-2A) for $99
plus tax. I guess its nationwide.

That's kinda high for a 3/8" corded drill. If it had a 1/2" chuck,
maybe.

--
Fettucini alfredo is macaroni and cheese for adults. -Mitch Hedberg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 12:03:21 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
Quality tool freak.
Tool excellence syndrome.
Tool one upmanship.
Quality import tool connoisseur.
Tool snob.
Tooling aristocrat.
Over the hill car guy losing his way.
Festool cult member.
Laguna cult member.

I am sure you guys can come up with a couple more.

Sure, I've experienced a few...
Finding out (in this case) that the quality tool is worth the money
Knowing that your Festool is better quality than most
Taking advantage of the Festool support group
Knowing that your Festool won't make a mess like other tools
Sorry, don't own a Laguna yet, so I guess I lose

But, I guess at this point that most of us Festoolin people sound like
Michael Joel with his unwavering religion. The only difference being
that you can prove the viability of Festool with a purchase ~ not so
easy with finding God, at least scientifically.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 13:08:54 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Hey Leon - I think they're picking on you. Don't let them get away with
that...

**** disturber.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 23:29:35 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Good save there Robatoy! Especially since I blame you personally for
showing me the way several years ago with a link to the Domino in
Europe. But then I showed Swingman the way and maybe Dave. ;~)

So it was YOUR fault. All that info on the Domino you gave me made me
decide to buy. I think you send me the current purchase price of a
Domino.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hey Leon - I think they're picking on you. Don't let them get away
with that...

**** disturber.

That is Stirrer, sir. Anyone can disturb, but stirring takes a certain
knack.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 06:43:00 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
**** disturber.

That is Stirrer, sir. Anyone can disturb, but stirring takes a certain
knack.

Ok then. You're a Stirring **** Disturber.

Happy?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Good save there Robatoy! Especially since I blame you personally for
showing me the way several years ago with a link to the Domino in
Europe. But then I showed Swingman the way and maybe Dave. ;~)

So it was YOUR fault. All that info on the Domino you gave me made me
decide to buy. I think you send me the current purchase price of a
Domino.

IIRC, you asked me about the Domino first and I recommended Leon as the
pusher.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Good save there Robatoy! Especially since I blame you personally for
showing me the way several years ago with a link to the Domino in
Europe. But then I showed Swingman the way and maybe Dave. ;~)

So it was YOUR fault. All that info on the Domino you gave me made me
decide to buy. I think you send me the current purchase price of a
Domino.

IIRC, you asked me about the Domino first and I recommended Leon as the
pusher.

Yeah that sounds right I think Dave was all oiled up by the time he
started quizzing me on the tool. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

John Doe wrote:

[...]

Not weird at all.

You are the same guy that jumped into my last thread to give
off-topic advice just to brag about your expensive tool. It's no
big deal but it is weird IMO.

--

No tool manufacturer is great at everything. The
vast majority of Bosch tool users don't use Bosch drills.

Since it's from the local Lowe's, the first line of defense is
simply returning it to the store. That's one reason it's a good
deal.

As long as you are not stuck with your purchase should you not be pleased.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/2012 11:06 AM, John Doe wrote:

You are the same guy that jumped into my last thread to give
off-topic advice just to brag about your expensive tool. It's no
big deal but it is weird IMO.

You might note that you crossposted, so welcome to the wRec on UseNet,
where every message can be replied to without regard to the wishes of
the original poster, and where it's even more weird to expect otherwise.

Count your blessings ... thus far there has been no mention of religion,
politics or electricity on your precious topic ... but don't hold your
breath.

Besides, around here it's all Butch's fault ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

John Doe wrote:

[...]

Which thread would that be?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 08:36:44 -0600, Swingman wrote:
So it was YOUR fault. All that info on the Domino you gave me made me
decide to buy. I think you should send me the current purchase price of a
Domino.

IIRC, you asked me about the Domino first and I recommended Leon as the
pusher.

Yeah, but I'm willing to bet that you two work together. You start the
process with your construction images and Leon closes with his fine
detail information. After all, you almost live across the street from
each other. So, how much Festool commission do you really get?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 08:39:51 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Yeah that sounds right I think Dave was all oiled up by the time he
started quizzing me on the tool. LOL

I *knew* it. You two are working together. What's your commission?
Huh? Huh? I otta sue you two.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/200...awsuit_080109/

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

John Doe wrote:

You are the same guy that jumped into my last thread to give
off-topic advice just to brag about your expensive tool. It's no
big deal but it is weird IMO.

Nah - that would not be Leon. He loves his Festools, but don't get him
wrong - he's not the guy that is going to brag about his expensive tools.

--

-Mike-