Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question about wood preparation

Hey All,
I'm going to be resawing some 12/4 cherry this weekend for a table
top. The boards are 13 inches wide and my plan is to rip them to 6
1/2 inch and then resaw each to get bookmatched faces. The top will
be 78 inches long when finished. The wood has been stored in my
unheated garage (living in Maryland, most of the time it's a cold
winter) and will be cut out there. My basement shop is heated and
that's where I will do the rest of the machining.
My qusetion is, would it be better to leave the boards laying flat
with their resawn faces exposed or should I stack and sticher them to
when allowing them to acclimate to my shop's heat and humidity
conditions?
My inclination is to let them acclimate without any weight on top but
I've made incorrect choices before.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 2:51*pm, marc rosen wrote:
Hey All,
I'm going to be resawing some 12/4 cherry this weekend for a table

My inclination is to let them acclimate without any weight on top but
I've made incorrect choices before.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Marc

12/4 x 13... wow. I thought I had some nice cherry. Heck even my
massive white oak find is only 8/4 x 12's x 8' mostly.

I would let them acclimate to the new shop for week at least before
resawing but sounds like that isn't an option. Then if you have the
patience to sticker them and wait another week or two that would be
the very best. Just like a panel glue up it is never good to have one
face exposed and one not. I always stack new panels along the wall
angled so air can get to both sides.

You might consider skip planing the back side so both faces have a
fresh face and equal breathing capability as the wood gets over the
shock of being halved.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2012 4:51 PM, marc rosen wrote:
[...]

If the wood is thoroughly dried I don't think it would hurt at all to
sticker them. If they were going to be thin pieces I would certainly do
this. If the degree of dryness is questionable I certainly would do so
also.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 6:04*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

also.- Hide quoted text -

Hey Sonoma, Leon,
Thanks for the replies. I need to resaw outside where my 20 inch
bandsaw lives but my jointer and planer are inside. The wood is kiln
dried and I'm sure I have enough leeway to skip plane the outside
faces before I stack them. I don't mind waiting a couple weeks since
this is the dining room table I'l be eating from for a long time (I
hope!). Thanks again,
Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote:

[...]

-------------------------------
No good reason other than it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

I'd resaw in the garage, then stack and sticker in the basement.

Don't look at it till 03/01/2012.

BTW, make sure you don't bring in any bugs or other critters with the
wood you stack in the basement.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 6:19*pm, marc rosen wrote:
[...]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Marc- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like a plan.

12/4 Cherry? I still can't get over that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:19:21 -0800 (PST), marc rosen wrote:

[...]

How about letting it acclimate in the basement, then run it outside just long
enough to resaw and then return it to the basement right after (board at a
time, even)?

Stupid question about wood stain (wood tint) Toller Woodworking 9 March 27th 07 04:16 AM
Wood Preparation Greg G. Woodturning 3 November 1st 05 02:15 AM
MinWax Water Base Stain Wood Preparation rasberry Woodworking 4 October 23rd 05 10:33 AM
preparation required for painting wood? DIY Novice UK diy 1 January 20th 05 07:46 PM
Birch Preparation Tom Storey Woodturning 7 October 4th 04 10:23 PM