Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ash

It's been ages since I did a piddlin' little bit of work with some ash scraps.
As I recall, it's about as dense as red oak or maple, and cuts similarly.

Any peculiarities of ash that I should know about before starting a little
ash project? I know about the Emerald Ash Borer threat.

Thx,
Puddin'

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 22:51:12 -0600, Puddin' Man
wrote:

It's been ages since I did a piddlin' little bit of work with some ash scraps.
As I recall, it's about as dense as red oak or maple, and cuts similarly.

Any peculiarities of ash that I should know about before starting a little
ash project? I know about the Emerald Ash Borer threat.

Of course it's very blond and unless stained/dyed doesn't show much in the way
of grain. It's also hard as a ******* (they use it for baseball bats) and as
such tears out badly. I have a few hundred board feet squirreled away. I
like it to work with but one has to be careful with the planer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puddin' Man wrote:

It's been ages since I did a piddlin' little bit of work with some ash
scraps. As I recall, it's about as dense as red oak or maple, and cuts
similarly.

Any peculiarities of ash that I should know about before starting a little
ash project? I know about the Emerald Ash Borer threat.

Thx,
Puddin'

Ash is actually my favorite wood to work with. Its hard, but not as hard as
white oak. It sands well and takes stain well. Add to that its great for
making laminated forms.

The downside:

It tends to clog the cyclone as the chips will stick together. Make sure
you route with the grain. Go against the grain and you risk (rather high
risk) of having the grain run with you and removing much more wood that you
intended, which will definitely not be in the profile you were putting on
the wood with the router.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Any peculiarities of ash that I should know about before starting a little
ash project? I know about the Emerald Ash Borer threat.

It can be very peculiar working with ash. First, never use any rope
because you never want your ash in a sling. Be careful not to fall on
your ash. If you make me mad I may kick your ash. You will want to
especially careful when you drill ash. Drilling ash can be dangerous
in many ways. Also once you drill it you will now have an ash hole and
that presents another whole set of issues. You really want to be
careful with your ash hole. etc. etc.

And don't get me started on yew.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Puddin' Man wrote in
:

It's been ages since I did a piddlin' little bit of work with some ash
scraps. As I recall, it's about as dense as red oak or maple, and cuts
similarly.

Any peculiarities of ash that I should know about before starting a
little ash project? I know about the Emerald Ash Borer threat.

Thx,
Puddin'

I made a mudroom shoe bench from ash from a plan from somewhere, and ended
up with a nice product. All the above gentle folks' comments are extremely
to the point, taking humor into account with a grin. As I recall, the
"staining" with amber shellac went a little funny, because of the green
hues it first had (they disappeared). I also made a shelf unit for my
bathroom, which I finished with poly. I'll post pictures nd give the link
in a follow-up.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Han wrote in
:

Puddin' Man wrote in
:

It's been ages since I did a piddlin' little bit of work with some
ash scraps. As I recall, it's about as dense as red oak or maple, and
cuts similarly.

Any peculiarities of ash that I should know about before starting a
little ash project? I know about the Emerald Ash Borer threat.

Thx,
Puddin'

I made a mudroom shoe bench from ash from a plan from somewhere, and
ended up with a nice product. All the above gentle folks' comments
are extremely to the point, taking humor into account with a grin. As
I recall, the "staining" with amber shellac went a little funny,
because of the green hues it first had (they disappeared). I also
made a shelf unit for my bathroom, which I finished with poly. I'll
post pictures nd give the link in a follow-up.

link to photos. The first 2 are ash, the rest is mostly the NY Botanical
Garden train show.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...n/photostream/

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in
:

It can be very peculiar working with ash. First, never use any rope
because you never want your ash in a sling. Be careful not to fall on
your ash. If you make me mad I may kick your ash. You will want to
especially careful when you drill ash. Drilling ash can be dangerous
in many ways. Also once you drill it you will now have an ash hole and
that presents another whole set of issues. You really want to be
careful with your ash hole. etc. etc.

And don't get me started on yew.

I laughed my ash off when I read this...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2012 1:49 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

snip of funny stuff

in many ways. Also once you drill it you will now have an ash hole and
that presents another whole set of issues. You really want to be
careful with your ash hole. etc. etc.

And always use a brown ash bung for an ash hole ..

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in
:

It can be very peculiar working with ash. First, never use any rope
because you never want your ash in a sling. Be careful not to fall on
your ash. If you make me mad I may kick your ash. You will want to
especially careful when you drill ash. Drilling ash can be dangerous
in many ways. Also once you drill it you will now have an ash hole and
that presents another whole set of issues. You really want to be
careful with your ash hole. etc. etc.

And don't get me started on yew.

I laughed my ash off when I read this...

Most of it is pretty old but he did spruce it up a bit.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:

link to photos. The first 2 are ash, the rest is mostly the NY
Botanical Garden train show.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...n/photostream/

Hey Han - looks like Yahoo requires the viewer to create an account to view
these photos. Got another place you can post these?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:

link to photos. The first 2 are ash, the rest is mostly the NY
Botanical Garden train show.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...n/photostream/

Hey Han - looks like Yahoo requires the viewer to create an account to
view these photos. Got another place you can post these?

I'll try. Do you have access to abpw, alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking?

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 13:17:57 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Han wrote:

link to photos. The first 2 are ash, the rest is mostly the NY
Botanical Garden train show.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...n/photostream/

Hey Han - looks like Yahoo requires the viewer to create an account to view
these photos. Got another place you can post these?

It wouldn't do you any good, Mikey. I signed in and got this:

This photo is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 21, 10:51*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
It's been ages since I did a piddlin' little bit of work with some ash scraps.
As I recall, it's about as dense as red oak or maple, and cuts similarly.

Any peculiarities of ash that I should know about before starting a little
ash project? I know about the Emerald Ash Borer threat.

* Thx,
* Puddin'

I have used Ash in a few projects and I agree with your comparison
with Oak. The only problem I have had, on a couple of occasions, is a
little blotching with stain. Both times it was with wood that had a
little looser grain pattern and the result was disappointing. Since
then I take a moment to wipe the project down with pre-stain
conditioner and the results have been good.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Any peculiarities of ash that I should know about before starting a little
ash project? I know about the Emerald Ash Borer threat.

It can be very peculiar working with ash. First, never use any rope
because you never want your ash in a sling. Be careful not to fall on
your ash. If you make me mad I may kick your ash. You will want to
especially careful when you drill ash. Drilling ash can be dangerous
in many ways. Also once you drill it you will now have an ash hole and
that presents another whole set of issues. You really want to be
careful with your ash hole. etc. etc.

Don't store it in an excavation area unless you know your ash from a
hole in the ground.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:346ad$4f1c65d3
:

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:

link to photos. The first 2 are ash, the rest is mostly the NY
Botanical Garden train show.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...n/photostream/

Hey Han - looks like Yahoo requires the viewer to create an account
to view these photos. Got another place you can post these?

I'll try. Do you have access to abpw,
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking?

Yup

Now on abpw under "Ash shelfunit and mudroom bench"

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Many thanks for various responses on working with ash. All that info, and
humour to boot! Laughed me ash off. :-)