Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bowsaur Post for LarryJ --read the part about 15 minutes!

i'm looking at making a small camping saw like the one in this link.

http://www.wyomingknife.com/saws.htm

basically a standard short blade that can be broken down for travel
and repaired easily in the field. anyone been here before? i've
made bowsaws, but they're larger than i'd like for this application.

Here's one for you. I took a Scout Leader training course that they
called "Bushcraft". Basically you do everything in the Scout handbook
that has to do with camping. So we are not asking the kids to do
anything we have not done ourselves. Huge fun! But I digress.

One of our enablers, er facilitators, built this bowsaw whilst we
were stopped for lunch on the trail. The string was in his pocket,
the blade was inside his belt, the sticks he cut with his knife and
whittled the joints. Took him maybe 15 minutes to make the frame.
And it works, but I suspect that your first few efforts would fail until
you understood the joints and geometry better. I'm sure a good galoot
like you can figure it out...

galootcentral.com/components/cpgalbums/userpics/10074/100_5533.JPG
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:10:45 -0500, Bill
wrote:

i'm looking at making a small camping saw like the one in this link.

http://www.wyomingknife.com/saws.htm

Har! What's "camoflauge"?

[...]

Cool!

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Re to the young Scouts: It's a good time to explain why math/geometry
is good to know for/in many aspects of everyday life, i.e., the origin
of handmade saws (or most any tool) goes back many years, so even
folks with little formal education needed basic math skills and
understanding of concepts to perform many basic chores. You're never
too young to learn (be introduced to) some of these skills or
concepts. Sometimes informal education is as valuable as formal
education.

Sonny

BowSaur Bill[_37_] Woodworking 9 November 11th 11 01:43 AM
Hello to all.please read my post and give your answers vinay Metalworking 14 August 2nd 07 08:23 AM
Google groupers: read this before you post here John Fields Electronics 26 March 31st 06 11:37 PM
PLEASE READ THIS POST woodwork problem Searcher Woodworking 2 March 11th 06 04:18 AM
Now Since Steve hasnoballs and loves [email protected] I should post every 5 minutes just to see how he's doing! 199.44.49.11 Woodworking 0 November 18th 05 12:07 AM