Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Old chisels...quality steel?

I'm in the market for a couple of larger framing chisels, and I'm
hoping to find them cheaper than the $100+ offerings from Sorby, Barr
et al... I almost bought a Keen Kutter but it disappeared off of
eBay. Are there specific brands to avoid?...to look for? Any good
sources of info? Just hoping for some thoughts. Thanks.
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking
bw bw is offline

"JayPique" wrote in message
I'm in the market for a couple of larger framing chisels, and I'm
hoping to find them cheaper than the $100+ offerings from Sorby, Barr
et al... I almost bought a Keen Kutter but it disappeared off of
eBay. Are there specific brands to avoid?...to look for? Any good
sources of info? Just hoping for some thoughts. Thanks.
JP

Witherby is excellent. I have one.
http://sawnutz.galootcentral.com/witherby/index.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/beautiful-T-...em416132 9309

Posted to rec.woodworking

Witherby is excellent. I have one. -BW
http://sawnutz.galootcentral.com/witherby/index.htm

An interesting piece of history that .. thanks.
`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
JayPique wrote:

I'm in the market for a couple of larger framing chisels, and I'm
hoping to find them cheaper than the $100+ offerings from Sorby, Barr
et al... I almost bought a Keen Kutter but it disappeared off of
eBay. Are there specific brands to avoid?...to look for? Any good
sources of info? Just hoping for some thoughts. Thanks.

I have the set of 10 of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67707&cat=1,41504

From 1/4" to 2"...

Decent quality, and good price.

djb

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the set of 10 of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67707&cat=1,41504

From 1/4" to 2"...

Decent quality, and good price.

I've got my eye on these. A couple of the guys on G+ put this together
about the Narex mortising chisels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoPBFPBW_3A

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Swingman
wrote:

A couple of the guys on G+ put this together
about the Narex mortising chisels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoPBFPBW_3A

I recently picked up the set of 6... 1/8 - 1/2, but haven't used them
yet. I also have the LH and RH skew chisels and quite like them as
well.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"JayPique" wrote in message
I'm in the market for a couple of larger framing chisels, and I'm
hoping to find them cheaper than the $100+ offerings from Sorby, Barr
et al... I almost bought a Keen Kutter but it disappeared off of
eBay. Are there specific brands to avoid?...to look for? Any good
sources of info? Just hoping for some thoughts. Thanks.
JP

Read up. Learn brand names of quality chisels, both old and new. Know what
they're worth before you see them, and haggle, haggle, haggle. Some of the
old stuff that you can pick up for a buck or two is just as good as any new
stuff that's $50. Educate yourself first, then to shopping.

Steve

www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 12, 9:16*pm, JayPique wrote:

I'm in the market for a couple of larger framing chisels, and I'm
hoping to find them cheaper than the $100+ offerings from Sorby, Barr
et al... *I almost bought a Keen Kutter but it disappeared off of
eBay. *Are there specific brands to avoid?...to look for? *Any good
sources of info? *Just hoping for some thoughts. *Thanks.
JP

Peck, Stow & Wilcox (aka PEXTO) are very good antique chisels. Not as
well known as some of the bigger names, but quality stuff and you
should be able to scoop up a deal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 31, 10:42*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 12, 9:16*pm, JayPique wrote:

I'm in the market for a couple of larger framing chisels, and I'm
hoping to find them cheaper than the $100+ offerings from Sorby, Barr
et al... *I almost bought a Keen Kutter but it disappeared off of
eBay. *Are there specific brands to avoid?...to look for? *Any good
sources of info? *Just hoping for some thoughts. *Thanks.
JP

Peck, Stow & Wilcox (aka PEXTO) are very good antique chisels. *Not as
well known as some of the bigger names, but quality stuff and you
should be able to scoop up a deal.

I bought an old Buck Brothers 2" bench chisel that seems to take and
hold an edge nicely. Haven't done much work with it yet though. Too
bad I didn't have it before that last job...that seems to be the case
a lot.
JP

MHG Chisels Robert Peters Woodworking 0 March 31st 07 06:33 PM
where to buy chisels william kossack Woodturning 14 May 31st 06 05:10 PM
Old Chisels SteveB Woodworking 0 September 16th 05 05:23 PM
Looking for better chisels... David F. Eisan Woodworking 20 November 23rd 04 05:19 PM
steel suited for chisels Mike DeCourcey Woodworking 3 August 27th 03 10:16 PM