Posted to rec.woodworking

Default shocking dewalt planner

I have a new Dewalt dw735 portable planner that replaced a delta 22-560.
Problem is every time I run a board threw and I touch the dust collector
hoses (wire reinforced urethane) or the folding tables I get a shock. The
dust collector is a 1.5 grizzly with a metal trash can separator and the
pipes are spiral galvanized steel. I called Dewalt but they had never heard
of this happening before (but then they never hear of anything).Have any of
you guys run into this?

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
:

I have a new Dewalt dw735 portable planner that replaced a
delta 22-560. Problem is every time I run a board threw and
I touch the dust collector hoses (wire reinforced urethane)
or the folding tables I get a shock. The dust collector is
a 1.5 grizzly with a metal trash can separator and the
pipes are spiral galvanized steel. I called Dewalt but they
had never heard of this happening before (but then they
never hear of anything).Have any of you guys run into this?

Len

I have the same planer with the same static buildup. None of my
other tools have the problem but the dust collector hose
connected to that planer will put a charge into you. I've
touched 110v wires that shocked me less. My solution is to not
touch the hose.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 11, 4:29*pm, "
wrote:
I have a new Dewalt dw735 portable planner that replaced a delta 22-560.
Problem is every time I run a board threw and I touch the dust collector
hoses (wire reinforced urethane) or the folding tables I get a shock. The
dust collector is a 1.5 grizzly with a metal trash can separator and the
pipes are spiral galvanized steel. I called Dewalt but they had never heard
of this happening before (but then they never hear of anything).Have any of
you guys run into this?

Len

Yep, static. The trash separator is breaking the circuit somewhere so
it can't dissipate. Run a bare copper wire from the planer to the
trash can and one from the can to the exit pipe so the path is
complete. I could light a cigarette off the sparks I got from my 15"
griz planer attached to my 3hp DC. I use flexible plastic pipe and
ridgid PVC. My pvc has aluminum tape along it's length and I use some
bare copper wire to wrap from the tape around the flex pipe and
attached to the machine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
:

I have a new Dewalt dw735 portable planner that replaced a delta
22-560. Problem is every time I run a board threw and I touch the dust
collector hoses (wire reinforced urethane) or the folding tables I get
a shock. The dust collector is a 1.5 grizzly with a metal trash can
separator and the pipes are spiral galvanized steel. I called Dewalt
but they had never heard of this happening before (but then they never
hear of anything).Have any of you guys run into this?

Len

Sounds like static... I solved my problem by wrapping a wire around the
output hose and stripping an end and attaching it to the base of the
planer. Sounds like you've already got a wire wrapped around your hose,
maybe you should attach it to a good ground point.

Puckdropper

--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
:

I have a new Dewalt dw735 portable planner that replaced a delta
22-560. Problem is every time I run a board threw and I touch the dust
collector hoses (wire reinforced urethane) or the folding tables I get
a shock. The dust collector is a 1.5 grizzly with a metal trash can
separator and the pipes are spiral galvanized steel. I called Dewalt
but they had never heard of this happening before (but then they never
hear of anything).Have any of you guys run into this?

Absolutely. I have a 735 also, and if the dust collection hose isn't grounded, I get hellacious painful
static shocks from it. I'm sure that's all you're experiencing. I concur with the advice you've received
from several other people to ground the reinforcing wire in the hose.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 19:29:03 -0500, "
wrote:

I have a new Dewalt dw735 portable planner that replaced a delta 22-560.
Problem is every time I run a board threw and I touch the dust collector
hoses (wire reinforced urethane) or the folding tables I get a shock. The
dust collector is a 1.5 grizzly with a metal trash can separator and the
pipes are spiral galvanized steel. I called Dewalt but they had never heard
of this happening before (but then they never hear of anything).Have any of
you guys run into this?

Len

If they don't know about static with dust collection (all those moving
dust particles in the hose) then they don't know much about the
equipment they sell. You'd think their knowledge database would help
with this, but hah! it depends on what search terms they type in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Jim Weisgram typed:
wrote:

I have a new Dewalt dw735 portable planner that replaced
a delta 22-560. Problem is every time I run a board
threw and I touch the dust collector hoses (wire
reinforced urethane) or the folding tables I get a
shock. The dust collector is a 1.5 grizzly with a metal
trash can separator and the pipes are spiral galvanized
steel. I called Dewalt but they had never heard of this
happening before (but then they never hear of
anything).Have any of you guys run into this?

Len

If they don't know about static with dust collection (all
those moving dust particles in the hose) then they don't
know much about the equipment they sell. You'd think
their knowledge database would help with this, but hah!
it depends on what search terms they type in.

Whoever Len talked to at DeWalt should be reported and then fired. No one
should be that ignorant of the possible facts to check out. Also the OP has
been told how to handle the situation.

HTH,

Twayne`

I want a planner that will do this! John Grossbohlin[_2_] Woodworking 5 July 8th 09 04:29 AM
Planner Set up Chris Woodworking 3 January 28th 08 07:07 PM
FA: DeWalt Cordless Tools, DeWalt 8" Radial Arm Saw Marty Escarcega Woodworking 0 April 25th 06 10:50 AM
Chatter at end of cut DeWalt Planner DW733. W. Kirk Crawford Woodworking 5 March 18th 05 02:37 AM
Some chater at the end of cut, DeWalt Planner DW733. W. Kirk Crawford Woodworking 0 March 12th 05 10:17 PM