Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New marker for dark woods.

I found a new marker for dark woods the other day.
I do welding as well as wood working, and I took a soap stone marker to
some walnut... NICE!!!

I had been looking for a replacement to chalk since it seemed to embed
in the pores of some woods and was difficult to clean out even with
mineral spirits.

The soapstone seems to come off very easily. I'll let you know how it
finishes over a cleaned off area later, unless someone else beats me to it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2012 9:10 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I found a new marker for dark woods the other day.
I do welding as well as wood working, and I took a soap stone marker to
some walnut... NICE!!!

I had been looking for a replacement to chalk since it seemed to embed
in the pores of some woods and was difficult to clean out even with
mineral spirits.

The soapstone seems to come off very easily. I'll let you know how it
finishes over a cleaned off area later, unless someone else beats me to it.

A white colored pencil, crayon, or grease pencil, from any hobby shop
works well also.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have tried crayon, but for some reason the multiple white crayons I
find don't show up well. I had a very good one long ago, it was meant
for lumber, but I have not seen one since.

The soap stone really comes off easily. So it might be easier to remove
later.

On 1/9/2012 9:08 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/8/2012 9:10 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I found a new marker for dark woods the other day.
I do welding as well as wood working, and I took a soap stone marker to
some walnut... NICE!!!

I had been looking for a replacement to chalk since it seemed to embed
in the pores of some woods and was difficult to clean out even with
mineral spirits.

The soapstone seems to come off very easily. I'll let you know how it
finishes over a cleaned off area later, unless someone else beats me
to it.

A white colored pencil, crayon, or grease pencil, from any hobby shop
works well also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 9, 8:05*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jan 8, 10:10*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

I found a new marker for dark woods the other day.
I do welding as well as wood working, and I took a soap stone marker to
some walnut... NICE!!!

I had been looking for a replacement to chalk since it seemed to embed
in the pores of some woods and was difficult to clean out even with
mineral spirits.

The soapstone seems to come off very easily. *I'll let you know how it
finishes over a cleaned off area later, unless someone else beats me to it.

Good idea. *I think I have one of those in my toolbox buried under the
timing light...

Timing Light! Why does that make me think of Antiques Roadshow.

Hmmmmm. I wonder if the two buried in the bottom drawer of my box
are worth anything.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2012 8:09 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

Have a bunch of walnut, but have not tried soapstone ... will certainly
do so now. Thanks!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 9, 9:12*pm, RonB wrote:
[...]

I hope so. Twenty years ago when I used to make a living turning
wrenches I bought a snap-on digital timing light and still have but I
really have no use for it.
looks just like this one:
http://ftooz.1.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=10591