Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SCMI F9a Jointer

I have an opportunity to get a SCMI F9a 12" jointer and have no luck finding
out any information on this machine. Anyone ever hear or have any knowledge
of this machine? As I would be interested in installing a Byrd cutter head
(I have them on all my other tools and love them) and have contacted Byrd to
see if they make one for this machine. Asking price is 950.00, not sure if
this is a good, great price point for this machine. Any info anyone has
would be appreciated.

SteveA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SteveA" wrote in message
I have an opportunity to get a SCMI F9a 12" jointer and have no luck
finding out any information on this machine. Anyone ever hear or have any
knowledge of this machine? As I would be interested in installing a Byrd
cutter head (I have them on all my other tools and love them) and have
contacted Byrd to see if they make one for this machine. Asking price is
950.00, not sure if this is a good, great price point for this machine. Any
info anyone has would be appreciated.

SteveA

I found 12" with a different model number F3a... for example:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-(lots-of-pics)
http://www.holbren.com/byrd-shelix-h...2-jointer.html

Any chance F9a isn't the right number?

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...

"SteveA" wrote in message
I have an opportunity to get a SCMI F9a 12" jointer and have no luck
finding out any information on this machine. Anyone ever hear or have any
knowledge of this machine? As I would be interested in installing a Byrd
cutter head (I have them on all my other tools and love them) and have
contacted Byrd to see if they make one for this machine. Asking price is
950.00, not sure if this is a good, great price point for this machine.
Any info anyone has would be appreciated.

SteveA

I found 12" with a different model number F3a... for example:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-(lots-of-pics)
http://www.holbren.com/byrd-shelix-h...2-jointer.html

Any chance F9a isn't the right number?

John

Steve,

This the one you found?

http://longisland.craigslist.org/app/2783048687.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SteveA" wrote in message
I have an opportunity to get a SCMI F9a 12" jointer and have no luck
finding out any information on this machine. Anyone ever hear or have any
knowledge of this machine? As I would be interested in installing a Byrd
cutter head (I have them on all my other tools and love them) and have
contacted Byrd to see if they make one for this machine. Asking price is
950.00, not sure if this is a good, great price point for this machine.
Any info anyone has would be appreciated.

SteveA

I found 12" with a different model number F3a... for example:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-(lots-of-pics)
http://www.holbren.com/byrd-shelix-h...2-jointer.html

Any chance F9a isn't the right number?

John

John,

I appreciate the reply, I also found a F3a, unfortunately all I have to go
on until I see the machine is that the guy tells me via email. Since he owns
it I have to assume that he knows what he has. Hopefully I can see it next
week but thought I would throw this out in the mean time.

SteveA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SteveA" wrote in message

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
message m...

"SteveA" wrote in message
[...]

Tough to read the tag with the model number from that angle. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 7, 9:14*am, "SteveA" wrote:
I have an opportunity to get a SCMI F9a 12" jointer and have no luck finding
out any information on this machine. Anyone ever hear or have any knowledge
of this machine? As I would be interested in installing a Byrd cutter head
(I have them on all my other tools and love them) and have contacted Byrd to
see if they make one for this machine. Asking price is 950.00, not sure if
this is a good, great price point for this machine. Any info anyone has
would be appreciated.

SteveA

I may have to be in the market myself. I have a few 10, 11, 12 and
even 14" wide x 8/4 quartersawn white oak 8' slabs that are still
rough. I have an 18" planer but they make my 8" powermatic jointer
look like a toy. I hate to cut down these slabs and I am considering
designs where I can use them intact but dread hand planing the first
side flat to get things started.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

On Jan 7, 9:14 am, "SteveA" wrote:
[...]

Use a power plane. Utility and speed. With it and a straightedge, you can
flatten the first side well enough for your planer in know time. I have
traditional planes, that I use, but when there is a lot to come off, the
power plane comes out.

FS: SCMI MiniMax S45 18" Bandsaw, Mesa, AZ Marty Escarcega Woodworking 0 April 8th 07 04:19 PM
SCMI Mini Max S45 Bandsaw Marty Escarcega Woodworking 4 March 29th 07 03:42 PM
jointer Dr. Deb Woodworking 10 November 15th 05 10:15 PM
8" jointer or a combo jointer/planer machine? [email protected] Woodworking 1 March 13th 05 05:31 AM
Newer Ridgid jointer or older Craftsman jointer RobW Woodworking 5 November 5th 04 04:47 PM