Posted to rec.woodworking

Default band saw problem

I have the typical Delta bandsaw. I just changed blades and now I
can't get the thing to run without the blade slipping off the tire. I
adjusted the upper plate to make sure it was co-planer. I tightened it
up pretty tight. When I spin it by hand the blade stays in the middle
of the tire, but soon as I turn it on it slips off again. I'm stumped!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 6, 3:26*pm, Ed Lowenstein wrote:
I have the typical Delta bandsaw. I just changed blades and now I
can't get the thing to run without the blade slipping off the tire. I
adjusted the upper plate to make sure it was co-planer. I tightened it
up pretty tight. When I spin it by hand the blade stays in the middle
of the tire, but soon as I turn it on it slips off again. I'm stumped!!

Pretty typical of all saws. You need to adjust the tracking while it
is running. Keep shifting it in one direction or theother until it
starts to stay on. Usually spinning fast by hand can show the bad
direction but when the added stress of the motro kicks in it just
really shows the out of alignment.

The only way to adjust the co-planer you rely need under power is to
adjust it under power. The system deflects while running.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 6, 3:26 pm, Ed wrote:
I have the typical Delta bandsaw. I just changed blades and now I
can't get the thing to run without the blade slipping off the tire. I
adjusted the upper plate to make sure it was co-planer. I tightened it
up pretty tight. When I spin it by hand the blade stays in the middle
of the tire, but soon as I turn it on it slips off again. I'm stumped!!

Pretty typical of all saws. You need to adjust the tracking while it
is running. Keep shifting it in one direction or theother until it
starts to stay on. Usually spinning fast by hand can show the bad
direction but when the added stress of the motro kicks in it just
really shows the out of alignment.

The only way to adjust the co-planer you rely need under power is to
adjust it under power. The system deflects while running.

That kind of thing never happens with my MiniMax.
(Sorry; couldn't resist)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2012 8:29 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On Jan 6, 3:26 pm, Ed wrote:
I have the typical Delta bandsaw. I just changed blades and now I
can't get the thing to run without the blade slipping off the tire. I
adjusted the upper plate to make sure it was co-planer. I tightened it
up pretty tight. When I spin it by hand the blade stays in the middle
of the tire, but soon as I turn it on it slips off again. I'm stumped!!

Pretty typical of all saws. You need to adjust the tracking while it
is running. Keep shifting it in one direction or theother until it
starts to stay on. Usually spinning fast by hand can show the bad
direction but when the added stress of the motro kicks in it just
really shows the out of alignment.

The only way to adjust the co-planer you rely need under power is to
adjust it under power. The system deflects while running.

That kind of thing never happens with my MiniMax.
(Sorry; couldn't resist)

Yeah I was going to say that it never happens with my Laguna either. It
is not typical with all saws, it is typical with most entry level saws
today and why I and probably you moved up to this caliber of band saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Lowenstein" wrote in message
I have the typical Delta bandsaw. I just changed blades and now I
can't get the thing to run without the blade slipping off the tire. I
adjusted the upper plate to make sure it was co-planer. I tightened it
up pretty tight. When I spin it by hand the blade stays in the middle
of the tire, but soon as I turn it on it slips off again. I'm stumped!!

I had the same problem. Then through trial and error, I'd get it on there,
and manage to tighten it, and it would stay. Then, months would pass and
I'd break another or it would jump off, and I'd forget which way of turning
the screw did what to the machine. So, I took one of those lumber pens and
wrote little arrows and ON and OFF by the screw. It still may take a bit of
time to get it to run and stay on until you get it dialed in, but it sure
does lessen the time. If you overtighten it so the blade goes further on to
the wheel, there is a ridge on mine, and I can't tighten it so much that it
hurts anything. But loosening it up can get it to come off, so I tend to
overtighten it, run it in short spurts, and back off until it starts to spin
back from the ridge (and off the wheel) and then fine tune from there,
turning the bolt the other direction until it's just right.

You'll get it, just write it down for next time.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2012 5:26 PM, Ed Lowenstein wrote:
I have the typical Delta bandsaw. I just changed blades and now I
can't get the thing to run without the blade slipping off the tire. I
adjusted the upper plate to make sure it was co-planer. I tightened it
up pretty tight. When I spin it by hand the blade stays in the middle
of the tire, but soon as I turn it on it slips off again. I'm stumped!!

I don't understand how you can set it for coplanar wheels unless you
have it running with a stable blade. Get the bearings and guide blocks
back out of the way. Once you have the blade running and staying on the
wheels, turn off the machine and use a long straight edge to see if the
wheels are coplanar. You may be able to move the upper wheel in or out
by removing it and adding/removing a washer behind the wheel based on
the results of the straightedge. My wheels are coplanar, I set the
blade to run at the center of the upper wheel, it does not track at the
center of the bottom wheel. It does read dead on for square to the
table which is all that really matters.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Your probably are already doing this......I was having trouble with the
blade slipping until I cleaned the tracks it ran on really good. After
that..pas de problem!!

Keith