Posted to rec.woodworking

Default questions about rare earth magnet settings

Hey All,
I am attempting to make a small clam shell type presentation box (for
a pen and pencil set I turned) using rare earth magnets to hold it
shut. I resawed a nice piece of cherry and routed two opposing
grooves on each of the bookmatched faces. The 1/4 inch diameter
magnets will be positioned in each corner of each half so I would need
four pair of magnets to hold the two halves together. I want the
magnets hidden too so I thought I would place them as close to the
inside face as possible from the outside and plug the holes with a
cocobolo dowel (the same wood as the pen bodies) .
I did a few test mounts drilling the 1/4 inch hole and leaving 1/8
inch wood face. The 1/4 inch magnets will not hold very well with two
1/8 inch layers of wood. They will attract when placed across 1/2
inch cherry but I know the strength of their attraction is less than
the strength necessary to hold two pieces of wood together. (The
magnets are placed so they attract.) I only have 1/4 magnets right
now but can pick up larger ones tomorrow although I am not inclined to
go over 3/8 inch.
So I'd like to know if anyone here has any suggestions about the
thickness of wood (2 pieces) or the size of magnets needed to hold
stuff together. The faces are 7 by 4 inches so it's not a lot of
weight but I think the 1/4 inch magnets are insufficient to do the
job. I would prefer to keep the wall thickness 1/8 inch because I am
concerned about damaging it when trying to seat the magnet. Would
using two magnets in series in each hole make the attraction
stronger? I did not test that set up yet.
Any suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance,

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 13, 9:18*pm, marc rosen wrote:
[...]

In my experience putting 2 mags together only gives a slight
improvement...may be enough...may not. Look at lee valley for steel
cups to put mag in...it directs/focus's the mag force...you will need
to drill a larger hole tho.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2011 8:18 PM, marc rosen wrote:
[...]

Can you stack the magnets? Like batteries stacked end to end both will
increase in strength.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 12:02*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

the lee valley cup sets are the way to go... you can use epoxy to hold
the magnets in if the wood is too thin for screws. You might just need
the very small magnerts

shelly
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 23:31:28 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Hey All,
I am attempting to make a small clam shell type *presentation box (for
a pen and pencil set I turned) using rare earth magnets to hold it
shut. *I resawed a nice piece of cherry and routed two opposing
grooves on each of the bookmatched faces. The 1/4 inch diameter
magnets will be positioned in each corner of each half so I would need
four pair of magnets to hold the two halves together. *I want the
magnets hidden too so *I thought I would place them as close to the
inside face as possible from the outside and plug the holes with a
cocobolo dowel (the same wood as the pen bodies) .

Put the magnets as close to the surface as possible and hide them with
felt buttons. Rare earth magnets are extremely strong.

Think NO GAP when mating magnets. -Much- stronger.

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 06:44:42 -0800, Larry Jaques
Put the magnets as close to the surface as possible and hide them with
felt buttons. Rare earth magnets are extremely strong.

Think NO GAP when mating magnets. -Much- stronger.

And then don't forget to have a screw driver handy when you need to
pry the box open. g
Posted to rec.woodworking

I cannot really answer your questions but do want to mention that
the strenght of these magnets can differ even for the same physical
size. I do not recall the units that are used to describe their strength
but it shouldn't be too hard to google up a reference.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, my goal was to have hidden magnets but after several trials none
of the combinations would hold the two test boards together. I bought
some 3/8 inch magnets, confident the 1/4 inch would not be strong
enough, and set them in the boards leaving only slightly more than 1/8
inch of wood and air gap (the taper of the drill point). I used 6
magnets in each board and the holding power was so weak that you could
not pick up one board with the other. I then tried stacking more of
them in each hole but that too proved useless so I had to abandon the
invisible magnet approach and go to exposed magnets with the metal
pocket. Two, 3/8 inch magnets, medially located 5/8 inch from the
ends on each face and you'd think the boards were velcrowed together.
The box still looks nice andI'm certain the recipient will be very
pleased but it would have been nice for me to have only wood
showing. I'm the one who wanted no "hardware" showing, not the folks
who asked for the pen set anfd box. I'll try experimenting with 1/2
inch magnets after Christmas and maybe it will work.
Thanks anyway to those who responded. And to all of you out there, I
hope you have a great time this winter season. Merry Christmas or
Happy Chanukah. And to my Zappa friends, Happy Zappadan.

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 19:23:14 -0800 (PST), marc rosen
wrote:

Well, my goal was to have hidden magnets but after several trials none
of the combinations would hold the two test boards together. I bought
some 3/8 inch magnets, confident the 1/4 inch would not be strong
enough, and set them in the boards leaving only slightly more than 1/8
inch of wood and air gap (the taper of the drill point). I used 6
magnets in each board and the holding power was so weak that you could
not pick up one board with the other. I then tried stacking more of

Yeah, and electrical plugs taped onto the outside of an outlet deliver
zero electricity, too.

them in each hole but that too proved useless so I had to abandon the
invisible magnet approach and go to exposed magnets with the metal
pocket. Two, 3/8 inch magnets, medially located 5/8 inch from the
ends on each face and you'd think the boards were velcrowed together.
The box still looks nice andI'm certain the recipient will be very
pleased but it would have been nice for me to have only wood
showing. I'm the one who wanted no "hardware" showing, not the folks
who asked for the pen set anfd box. I'll try experimenting with 1/2
inch magnets after Christmas and maybe it will work.
Thanks anyway to those who responded. And to all of you out there, I
hope you have a great time this winter season. Merry Christmas or
Happy Chanukah. And to my Zappa friends, Happy Zappadan.

Happy Zappadan! Now go cover those exposed mags with sticky felt, or
something else really thin. Dis -ain't- rocket surgery, mon.

P.S: Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and RE magnets.

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 10:23*pm, marc rosen wrote:
[...]

Merry Frankmas, Marc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5-p9TSDngg Do not miss this!

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 15, 11:29*pm, Father Haskell wrote:
[...]

Merry Frankmas, Marc.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Father,
I really appreciate that.
Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

* * * * * * * * -- Christina Rossetti- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for that Larry. So, are you one of us?
Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 20:13:51 -0800 (PST), marc rosen
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I'm a Zappa fan, having cut my teeth on Hot Rats, if that's what you
mean. Otherwise, what is one of y'all?

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti

Posted to rec.woodworking

*And to all of you out there, I
hope you have a great time this winter season. *Merry Christmas or
Happy Chanukah. *And to my Zappa friends, Happy Zappadan.

Marc

Merry Frankmas, Marc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5-p9TSDngg*Do not miss this!

Thanks for that Larry. *So, are you one of us?

I'm a Zappa fan, having cut my teeth on Hot Rats, if that's what you
mean. *Otherwise, what is one of y'all?

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
* * * * * * * * -- Christina Rossetti- Hide quoted text -

Hi Larry,
Hot Rats is a great place to start. Thanks for the reply, that's all
I want to know.
By the way, magnets and felt worked and it looks good to me. The
recipient gets his pen set on Tuesday. As soon as I get my Dad's
Birthday turkey in the oven it's back to the basement shop to continue
working on my dining room table (as I steer the thread back on topic.
Hope you all have productive weekends too!
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/17/2011 7:49 AM, marc rosen wrote:
And to all of you out there, I
hope you have a great time this winter season. Merry Christmas or
Happy Chanukah. And to my Zappa friends, Happy Zappadan.

Marc

Merry Frankmas, Marc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5-p9TSDngg Do not miss this!

Thanks for that Larry. So, are you one of us?

I'm a Zappa fan, having cut my teeth on Hot Rats, if that's what you
mean. Otherwise, what is one of y'all?

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti- Hide quoted text -

Hi Larry,
Hot Rats is a great place to start. Thanks for the reply, that's all
I want to know.

Ever heard the Tinseltown Rebellion version of "Peaches En Regalia"? Fun stuff.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:18:00 -0700, marc rosen wrote
(in article
):

[...]

You need a stronger magnet:
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetai...prod=DY0Y0-N52

Actually this site is a great place to find anything related to magnets...

-Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ever heard the Tinseltown Rebellion version of "Peaches En Regalia"? *Fun stuff.

To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/- Hide quoted text -

Hi Steve,
Thanks. I have the entire Zappa catalogue and that's all I listen
too. TR Peaches is a great tune.

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 05:49:21 -0800 (PST), marc rosen
wrote:

*And to all of you out there, I
hope you have a great time this winter season. *Merry Christmas or
Happy Chanukah. *And to my Zappa friends, Happy Zappadan.

Marc

Merry Frankmas, Marc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5-p9TSDngg*Do not miss this!

Thanks for that Larry. *So, are you one of us?

I'm a Zappa fan, having cut my teeth on Hot Rats, if that's what you
mean. *Otherwise, what is one of y'all?

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
* * * * * * * * -- Christina Rossetti- Hide quoted text -

Hi Larry,
Hot Rats is a great place to start. Thanks for the reply, that's all
I want to know.

Peaches En Regalia and Willie The Pimp rule!

By the way, magnets and felt worked and it looks good to me. The

Excellent. Grab that gauss by the, um, well, you know.

recipient gets his pen set on Tuesday. As soon as I get my Dad's
Birthday turkey in the oven it's back to the basement shop to continue
working on my dining room table (as I steer the thread back on topic.

G'luck with steerage, sir. (Heavy currents, y'know.)

Hope you all have productive weekends too!

Got the week's dishes done (oral surgery slowed me down there) and
baked a plum coffee cake (with 10 of my Santa Rosa plums in it) for
later.

Now I can start drawing up some drawer separators for a client. Oops,
the Pro features have expired. She wants vertical separators for her
Pyrex dishware.

I'll be looking for some poplar or other inexpensive clear wood for
the frame and using 1/4" ply for the separator leaves. Hmm, the
Hardwoods Plus store phone is out of order.

Big project: a whopping 2 of 'em, if I can find wood. sigh
But any work coming in these days is good work.

--
If you're trying to take a roomful of people by
surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Zappa (was questions about rare earth magnet settings)

wrote:

Ever heard the Tinseltown Rebellion version of "Peaches En Regalia"? *Fun stuff.

To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/- Hide quoted text -

Hi Steve,
Thanks. I have the entire Zappa catalogue and that's all I listen
too. TR Peaches is a great tune.

Recently saw Dweezel and Zappa Plays Zappa. They do an excellent job, DZ plays
guitar as well as his dad (and sometimes plays rhythm while frank plays lead on
the video screen). The band are all excellent musicians. Check out the
ZPZ DVD (it's often played on PBS stations during pledge breaks, and includes
FZ alum like Napolean Brock, Steve Vai and Terry Bozio).

Last december at the Warfield was a great show. They recently toured as
the opening act for Return to Forever - an odd, but effective pairing.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Ever heard the Tinseltown Rebellion version of "Peaches En Regalia"? Fun stuff.

To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/- Hide quoted text -

Hi Steve,
Thanks. I have the entire Zappa catalogue and that's all I listen
too. TR Peaches is a great tune.

-1

Meaning?

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ever heard the Tinseltown Rebellion version of "Peaches En Regalia"? *Fun stuff.

Hi Steve,
Thanks. *I have the entire Zappa catalogue and that's all I listen
too. *TR Peaches is a great tune.

-1

Meaning?

Translation: TR = Tinseltown Rebellion, Peaches = Peaches en Regalia,
Great Tune = really fun music to listen to.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 04:40:40 -0800 (PST), marc rosen
wrote:

Ever heard the Tinseltown Rebellion version of "Peaches En Regalia"? *Fun stuff.

Hi Steve,
Thanks. *I have the entire Zappa catalogue and that's all I listen
too. *TR Peaches is a great tune.

-1

Meaning?

Translation: TR = Tinseltown Rebellion, Peaches = Peaches en Regalia,
Great Tune = really fun music to listen to.

-1 meant that I didn't particularly like the TR version. Too much
electronic noise vs the original musical theme. It sounded to me as if
it were made during the first year of MIDI's existence, when accurate
sounds of musical instruments weren't yet anywhere close to being
produced.

--
If you're trying to take a roomful of people by
surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets
if you don't yell going through the door.
-- Lois McMaster Bujold

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/18/2011 6:40 AM, marc rosen wrote:

Ever heard the Tinseltown Rebellion version of "Peaches En Regalia"? Fun stuff.

Hi Steve,
Thanks. I have the entire Zappa catalogue and that's all I listen
too. TR Peaches is a great tune.

-1

Meaning?

Translation: TR = Tinseltown Rebellion, Peaches = Peaches en Regalia,
Great Tune = really fun music to listen to.

Understood and agreed, but I was really trying to figure out why Larry gave
your post a "minus one". An extra "o" in "to" perhaps?

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in

See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!

I stumbled across this the other day.
http://sportsclimax.com/wtf/the-nads...f-the-mascots/

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Ever heard the Tinseltown Rebellion version of "Peaches En Regalia"? Fun stuff.

Hi Steve,
Thanks. I have the entire Zappa catalogue and that's all I listen
too. TR Peaches is a great tune.

-1

Meaning?

Translation: TR = Tinseltown Rebellion, Peaches = Peaches en Regalia,
Great Tune = really fun music to listen to.

-1 meant that I didn't particularly like the TR version. Too much
electronic noise vs the original musical theme. It sounded to me as if
it were made during the first year of MIDI's existence, when accurate
sounds of musical instruments weren't yet anywhere close to being
produced.

Perhaps, but it's the musicianship of the entire TR album that floors me.
Frank himself has said (in so many words) that playing his music was so much
more enjoyable in his later bands (mid to late seventies and onward) because
the musicians were so much better. That album is fun to listen to because you
can tell they're all just having a freakin' blast playing the music.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/18/2011 3:01 PM, Artemus wrote:
"Steve wrote in

See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!

I stumbled across this the other day.
http://sportsclimax.com/wtf/the-nads...f-the-mascots/

LOL!

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 17, 9:33*am, Steve Turner
wrote:
On 12/17/2011 7:49 AM, marc rosen wrote:

* And to all of you out there, I
hope you have a great time this winter season. *Merry Christmas or
Happy Chanukah. *And to my Zappa friends, Happy Zappadan.

Marc

Merry Frankmas, Marc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5-p9TSDnggDo not miss this!

Thanks for that Larry. *So, are you one of us?

I'm a Zappa fan, having cut my teeth on Hot Rats, if that's what you
mean. *Otherwise, what is one of y'all?

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
* * * * * * * * *-- Christina Rossetti- Hide quoted text -

Hi Larry,
Hot Rats is a great place to start. *Thanks for the reply, that's all
I want to know.

Ever heard the Tinseltown Rebellion version of "Peaches En Regalia"?
Fun stuff.

Essential FZ. Phish did a surprisingly good cover.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 17, 7:32*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 20:13:51 -0800 (PST), marc rosen

wrote:

wrote:
On Dec 14, 10:23*pm, marc rosen wrote:
Well, my goal was to have hidden magnets but after several trials none
of the combinations would hold the two test boards together. *I bought
some 3/8 inch magnets, confident the 1/4 inch would not be strong
enough, and set them in the boards leaving only slightly more than 1/8
inch of wood and air gap (the taper of the drill point). *I used 6
magnets in each board and the holding power was so weak that you could
not pick up one board with the other. *I then tried stacking more of
them in each hole but that too proved useless so I had to abandon the
invisible magnet approach and go to exposed magnets with the metal
pocket. *Two, 3/8 inch magnets, medially located 5/8 inch from the
ends on each face and you'd think the boards were velcrowed together.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 17, 10:41*am, Bruce wrote:
[...]

I want that, and for absolutely no goddamned reason.

HTF do they ship that without it sticking to anything
steel inside the truck, including the truck?

Actually this site is a great place to find anything related to magnets....

-Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 22:00:08 -0800 (PST), Father Haskell
wrote:

On Dec 17, 7:32*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 20:13:51 -0800 (PST), marc rosen

Thanks for that Larry. *So, are you one of us?

I'm a Zappa fan, having cut my teeth on Hot Rats, if that's what you
mean. *Otherwise, what is one of y'all?

Apostrophe got me hooked. Second album HAD to be
Frank's first. Side 4 was like a thermonuclear mind****.

I'm more of a fan of Frank's for the irreverent humor than the music.
Then again, I liked the music more when I was less clearheaded, but
that was a whole 'nother life ago.

The poodle chews, the poodle bites it.

--
If you're trying to take a roomful of people by
surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets
if you don't yell going through the door.
-- Lois McMaster Bujold
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/18/11 11:57 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

Essential FZ. Phish did a surprisingly good cover.

As seen on a bumper sticker in a college town....
"Jerry's dead, Phish sucks, get a job."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 23:04:40 -0700, Father Haskell wrote
(in article
):

On Dec 17, 10:41*am, Bruce wrote:

You need a stronger
magnet:http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetai...prod=DY0Y0-N52

I want that, and for absolutely no goddamned reason.

I have a "smaller" one permanently stuck to my filing cabinet at work....

HTF do they ship that without it sticking to anything
steel inside the truck, including the truck?

I've wondered about that. Sure would screw with their compass.