Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Substrate for a chess board

I'm going to make a chessboard and pieces for my son for Christmas. I know how to make the chessboard, but I'm not clear on what would be a good substrate. I was going to use 3/4 maple and walnut, then glue it all onto a piece of 3/4 or 1/2 MDF, then trim it out. I thought this would give it a nice thick, heavy feel. Or would I be better off using birch ply for the substrate? I'm concerned about the expansion and contraction of the different woods. Of course, neither one will look great from the bottom, I don't know how to solve that.

I have all the white pieces turned so far, man, that took some time. Why do I always wait until December to start this stuff...

-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/12/2011 3:28 PM, jtpr wrote:

I'm going to make a chessboard and pieces for my son for Christmas. I know how to make the chessboard, but I'm not clear on what would be a good substrate. I was going to use 3/4 maple and walnut, then glue it all onto a piece of 3/4 or 1/2 MDF, then trim it out. I thought this would give it a nice thick, heavy feel. Or would I be better off using birch ply for the substrate? I'm concerned about the expansion and contraction of the different woods. Of course, neither one will look great from the bottom, I don't know how to solve that.

I have all the white pieces turned so far, man, that took some time. Why do I always wait until December to start this stuff...

Sorry ... it's against federal regulations to use anything but hard
maple! You might accidentally drop a chip 'n dip on it between moves.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" wrote in message
I'm going to make a chessboard and pieces for my son for Christmas. I know
how to make the chessboard, but I'm not clear on what would be a good
substrate. I was going to use 3/4 maple and walnut, then glue it all onto
a piece of 3/4 or 1/2 MDF, then trim it out. I thought this would give it a
nice thick, heavy feel. Or would I be better off using birch ply for the
substrate? I'm concerned about the expansion and contraction of the
different woods. Of course, neither one will look great from the bottom, I
don't know how to solve that.

I have all the white pieces turned so far, man, that took some time. Why do
I always wait until December to start this stuff...

-Jim

May I suggest that you use thinner material for the squares.... I just
repaired a large chess board for a school fund raising auction (I get tagged
with this kind of stuff all the time... ) The primary problem was the
squares were too thick and cupped to the point that the edges pulled away
from the substrate. I ended up hand planning and scraping the squares and
regluing them. I also had to replace one dark square that kind of
disintegrated. By the time I finished the job the squares were probably 1/2
as thick as they were when I started. I must have done OK as the set pulled
in $300 at the auction--I have to admit the pieces were nice. ;~)

Think in terms of thick veneer (no more than an 1/16"-1/8") when you do your
board and I think you will end up with better results.

You didn't mention how you are edging the board... you could use 5 MM luan
as the substrate if you treat the board as a panel within a frame. veneer
the bottom for appearance. I wouldn't use solid wood as a substrate due to
the movement...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 12, 1:28*pm, jtpr wrote:
I'm going to make a chessboard and pieces for my son for Christmas. I know how to make the chessboard, but I'm not clear on what would be a good substrate. *I was going to use 3/4 maple and walnut, then glue *it all onto a piece of 3/4 or 1/2 MDF, then trim it out. *I thought this would give it a nice thick, heavy feel. *Or would I be better off using birch ply for the substrate? *I'm concerned about the expansion and contraction of the different woods. *Of course, neither one will look great from the bottom, I don't know how to solve that.

I have all the white pieces turned so far, man, that took some time. *Why do I always wait until December to start this stuff...

-Jim

You can use Maple and Walnut legally in this application. However,
maybe you want to float the chess board over the substrate. Make a
frame around the sides that lips over the board allowing it to expand
and contract like a panel in a frame.

Just a though but I think it could be done in a beautiful manner
somehow.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/12/2011 3:28 PM, jtpr wrote:
I'm going to make a chessboard and pieces for my son for Christmas. I know how to make the chessboard, but I'm not clear on what would be a good substrate. I was going to use 3/4 maple and walnut, then glue it all onto a piece of 3/4 or 1/2 MDF, then trim it out. I thought this would give it a nice thick, heavy feel. Or would I be better off using birch ply for the substrate? I'm concerned about the expansion and contraction of the different woods. Of course, neither one will look great from the bottom, I don't know how to solve that.

I have all the white pieces turned so far, man, that took some time. Why do I always wait until December to start this stuff...

An mdf substrate would be perfect for this application, IME ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 17:55:58 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"jtpr" wrote in message
[...]

The BEST way to do it, stability-wize, is to use thin hardwood ply
for the back, and thin hardwood ply squares. Make the back slightly
smaller than the playing surface and make a "set in" frame of hardwood
to surround it. You rabbet the top of the frame to accept the squares,
and miter the corners to get a nice tight fit around the playing
surface. A bit of a gap on the backside is OK - glue felt on the back
and you are done. Using a router on the top )and bottom if you like)
edges of the frame pretties it up - or simply "break" the edge with a
sanding block.

If you take your time you can make the frame fit as well on the bottom
as on the top and just varnish the whole thing - doing away with the
felt.

Guaranteed it will never warp and the squares won't lift (as long as
you use decent glue)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 18:47:30 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 12/12/2011 3:28 PM, jtpr wrote:
I'm going to make a chessboard and pieces for my son for Christmas. I know how to make the chessboard, but I'm not clear on what would be a good substrate. I was going to use 3/4 maple and walnut, then glue it all onto a piece of 3/4 or 1/2 MDF, then trim it out. I thought this would give it a nice thick, heavy feel. Or would I be better off using birch ply for the substrate? I'm concerned about the expansion and contraction of the different woods. Of course, neither one will look great from the bottom, I don't know how to solve that.

I have all the white pieces turned so far, man, that took some time. Why do I always wait until December to start this stuff...

An mdf substrate would be perfect for this application, IME ...

Another trick that works when making chess boards is to slightly
back-cut the squares - make the bottoms just a tiny bit smaller than
the tops - so when you assemble the board the joints are TIGHT at the
top (surface) even with a layer of glue between the edges. The glue
will keep the peices from moving - good glue is stronger than the wood
it is fastening.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:28:25 -0800 (PST), jtpr
wrote:

I'm going to make a chessboard and pieces for my son for Christmas. I know how to make the chessboard, but I'm not clear on what would be a good substrate. I was going to use 3/4 maple and walnut, then glue it all onto a piece of 3/4 or 1/2 MDF, then trim it out. I thought this would give it a nice thick, heavy feel. Or would I be better off using birch ply for the substrate? I'm concerned about the expansion and contraction of the different woods. Of course, neither one will look great from the bottom, I don't know how to solve that.

I have all the white pieces turned so far, man, that took some time. Why do I always wait until December to start this stuff...

-Jim

Think about the finish too.

In high school, I once made a fine chessboard out of 1/4" light/dark
plywood squares (I forget what woods, pretty though). I glued them to
a 1/2" C/D construction plywood substrate, and framed the assembly
with hardwood with a 1/8" lip.

THEN, I poured polyester resin to fill the lip. Mistake. When the
resin dryed, the assembly cupped a full 3/8" from the center to the
corners (very symmetrically though). I threw it out later, but my
then room-mate retrieved it and for years played "wobbly chess". An
additional rule was "If you knock down any piece, the opponent gets a
piece back."

Ah, good times....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 15:53:42 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 12/12/2011 3:28 PM, jtpr wrote:

I'm going to make a chessboard and pieces for my son for Christmas. I know how to make the chessboard, but I'm not clear on what would be a good substrate. I was going to use 3/4 maple and walnut, then glue it all onto a piece of 3/4 or 1/2 MDF, then trim it out. I thought this would give it a nice thick, heavy feel. Or would I be better off using birch ply for the substrate? I'm concerned about the expansion and contraction of the different woods. Of course, neither one will look great from the bottom, I don't know how to solve that.

I have all the white pieces turned so far, man, that took some time. Why do I always wait until December to start this stuff...

Sorry ... it's against federal regulations to use anything but hard
maple! You might accidentally drop a chip 'n dip on it between moves.

Uh, oh! Wait'll Snomy sees that...

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 18:47:30 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 12/12/2011 3:28 PM, jtpr wrote:
I'm going to make a chessboard and pieces for my son for Christmas. I know how to make the chessboard, but I'm not clear on what would be a good substrate. I was going to use 3/4 maple and walnut, then glue it all onto a piece of 3/4 or 1/2 MDF, then trim it out. I thought this would give it a nice thick, heavy feel. Or would I be better off using birch ply for the substrate? I'm concerned about the expansion and contraction of the different woods. Of course, neither one will look great from the bottom, I don't know how to solve that.

I have all the white pieces turned so far, man, that took some time. Why do I always wait until December to start this stuff...

An mdf substrate would be perfect for this application, IME ...

Stained and polyed, of course.

Chess Board Chris Woodworking 4 October 23rd 08 02:12 PM
Chess Board Question Jerry - OHIO Woodworking 5 May 24th 08 03:19 AM
VENEERED CHESS BOARD J T Woodworking 0 March 11th 05 05:07 AM
PAY - CHESS BOARD KIT J T Woodworking 0 November 10th 04 04:43 AM
CHESS BOARD T. Woodworking 0 October 30th 03 06:37 AM