Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing Cabinets ?

I have been experimenting with getting a "cherry" finish on hard maple. I
have been going water-based all the way, using TransTint dye and Target
Coatings Em8000 CV finish.

1) While there is minimal splotch, there is still a little too much color
variations from the different absorption rates of the grain. I am thinking
about going 1/2 strength with the dye and toning the finish the rest of the
way. This would mean 3-4 coats of toner (in my case, just the finish with
some dye added) before the top coats. Any experience with this or
suggestions?

2) I have heard good things about General Finishes, especially their pre-cat
poly, for cabinets. Has anyone played with this? Ideally, a comparison
with Em8000 would be great--saving me an $80 experiment.

3) I keep seeing people brush on "stain" in the DIY shows... just a brush
and no wiping. Is there anything out there this easy to apply that gives
good results, or does this stuff only work on TV?

Cheers, Shawn

PS: I spray with Jewitt's QualSpray AM-6008 gun and can definitely
recommend it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Father Haskell" wrote in message

TransTint dissolved in water? Tried dampening the wood
first to slow absorption?

That will not change anything... a) the tiny dye molecules will simply
migrate from their solvent (what I just applied) to the clear water, simply
diluting things and b) absorption speed is not the issue. The real problem
is *variations* in absorption rate. A wash coat of sealer normally helps to
limit splotch.... but I am trying to streamline the process.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
1. Coloring Maple directly is almost impossible to do well other than
a tonal shift like warming it a little. Toning the finish is the best
approach but why use Maple? Just wondering. When I tone I mix the
finish lighter than I want and build coats to the color I want.

Maple is easy to get for me, it is a strong stable wood, and works very
well. The grain structure does look like cherry when properly stained,
except that it will not darken with age.

Thanks for the confirmation: dye it light, build up toner. My only concern
then becomes witness lines on frame/panel cabinet doors. Capillary action
works very well to get the water-borne dye under the frame, but the toner
will only sit on the visible portions. Will there be a problem if and when
the frame shrinks?

Cheers, Shawn

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RimaNeas" wrote in message
I have been experimenting with getting a "cherry" finish on hard maple. I
have been going water-based all the way, using TransTint dye and Target
Coatings Em8000 CV finish.

1) While there is minimal splotch, there is still a little too much color
variations from the different absorption rates of the grain. I am
thinking about going 1/2 strength with the dye and toning the finish the
rest of the way. This would mean 3-4 coats of toner (in my case, just the
finish with some dye added) before the top coats. Any experience with
this or suggestions?...

Rather than resorting to multiple toner coats right away, you should
consider spit coating the wood with some shellac. This works surprising (at
least to me) well. You might also experiment with a gel stain since it sits
on the top and does not vary in color result very much at all due to grain
issues.

Good Luck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 10, 2:06*am, "RimaNeas" wrote:
[...]

3. Depending on the wood and the stain you can get good results.
Maple, Oak, Walnut (Hard) hardwoods don't take stain very readily.
Even Pine gives trouble. Some general Finish water based stains can go
on like paint but if you wipe it down hard it will be just as weak as
Minwax oil.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 1:03*am, "RimaNeas" wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

1. Coloring Maple directly is almost impossible to do well other than
a tonal shift like warming it a little. Toning the finish is the best
approach but why use Maple? Just wondering. When I tone I mix the
finish lighter than I want and build coats to the color I want.

Maple is easy to get for me, it is a strong stable wood, and works very
well. *The grain structure does look like cherry when properly stained,
except that it will not darken with age.

Thanks for the confirmation: dye it light, build up toner. *My only concern
then becomes witness lines on frame/panel cabinet doors. *Capillary action
works very well to get the water-borne dye under the frame, but the toner
will only sit on the visible portions. *Will there be a problem if and when
the frame shrinks?

Cheers, Shawn

Yes, shrinkage is always a concern (as in life and swimming in cold
water).
1. Finish the panel before you build the frame
- A commonly suggested approach but I find it hard to concieve that
my finishing will be consistent enough to do the frame later and have
a perfect match.
2. I almost always use a colored wax and build it in the corners of my
projects causing an antiquing. Just my style and I use it mostly. So
colored wax can be applied and rubbed in whenver you see a witness of
the uncolored wood if you have such a project.