Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleverness requested - how to finish both sides of a panel efficiently

Same panel doors, same novice "craftsman".

I'll be attempting to finish two panel doors today. I plan to install
two hooks in each door (in the locations where the hinges will
eventually attach) in order to be able to hang them up between coats. I
thought that was a pretty clever idea, but I realize now that it will be
a pain to rub on the finish (Waterlox) with the pieces swinging in midair.

So firstly, if I rub the finish on, is there anything problematic about
hanging the doors vertically? I'm thinking there won't be enough liquid
for it to "run", but my thinking has been wrong before.

Assuming that's OK, how would you finish both sides without waiting for
one side to dry in-between? My current plan is to apply the Waterlox to
the fronts of the doors in the standard way, with them laying on the
bench, then hang up the doors and do the backs while holding onto a
bottom corner. I'll go over that corner last somehow.

That seems awkward though. I'm certain there's a better way (no points
for suggesting a sprayer. I don't have the necessary equipment, and I'm
certain the world is better for it that I don't).

An ancillary question: How much time between coats? I don't expect to
complete the process in one day, but I'd like to get at as much done as
possible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 09:44:54 -0500, Greg Guarino
wrote:

Same panel doors, same novice "craftsman".

I'll be attempting to finish two panel doors today. I plan to install
two hooks in each door (in the locations where the hinges will
eventually attach) in order to be able to hang them up between coats. I
thought that was a pretty clever idea, but I realize now that it will be
a pain to rub on the finish (Waterlox) with the pieces swinging in midair.

So firstly, if I rub the finish on, is there anything problematic about
hanging the doors vertically? I'm thinking there won't be enough liquid
for it to "run", but my thinking has been wrong before.

It may run during the rubbing-in (application) but not after you get
it rubbed out evenly.

When I have more than one door to do, I lean them on the wall, do the
first side, flip them, then do the second side and both edges. I brush
the ends afterward, taking care to avoid the faces.

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Make a "T" out of 2, 6ft, 1x4s. Then make another.

Nail these to the top and bottom of the door.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Greg Guarino typed:
[...]

I do a side at a time & let it dry the recommended time before flippingh it
over on cotton cloth & doing the other side. But I have: Put
4 nail pins each corner to keep it off the bench. Do that side first, flip
over, and do the other side. When done, remove pins & touchup is needed but
t's not usually needed. Put the nail pin on the inside surfact of the door.

Time between coats? Jeez man, read the container. It varies all over the
map.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
Same panel doors, same novice "craftsman".

I'll be attempting to finish two panel doors today. I plan to install
two hooks in each door (in the locations where the hinges will
eventually attach) in order to be able to hang them up between coats.
I thought that was a pretty clever idea, but I realize now that it
will be a pain to rub on the finish (Waterlox) with the pieces
swinging in midair.

Put nails through a couple of piees of 1x2 and put the nail tips where you
were going to put hooks.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 4:02*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
Same panel doors, same novice "craftsman".

I'll be attempting to finish two panel doors today. I plan to install
two hooks in each door (in the locations where the hinges will
eventually attach) in order to be able to hang them up between coats.
I thought that was a pretty clever idea, but I realize now that it
will be a pain to rub on the finish (Waterlox) with the pieces
swinging in midair.

Put nails through a couple of piees of 1x2 and put the nail tips where you
were going to put hooks.

At the time I was ready to start the finishing, there were no

I went with my original idea, although once I put the hooks in some
variations on the theme of "support the doors on something tiny, like
nails or nail points" came to mind. The hooks (eyescrews, actually)
themselves held most of the "back" side off the bench. I laid the
doors front face down and finished almost the whole back, except for
the stile that would have touched the bench. Then I flipped it over
and did the whole front and three of the edges. Lastly I hung the
door...

Like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...ream/lightbox/

and did the back and edge of the last stile. (The yellow hooks in the
picture are not what was used to hold the doors)

It worked quite nicely. I think I'll use the same method for the next
couple of coats as well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 18:30:22 -0800 (PST),
At the time I was ready to start the finishing, there were no

Well, we didn't think you had any discretionary funds for these:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...56,43390,57821
or the accessories that go with them:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43456,43390
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/4/2011 9:40 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 18:30:22 -0800 (PST),

Looks like I once again posted from Google Groups with the wrong log-in.

At the time I was ready to start the finishing, there were no

Well, we didn't think you had any discretionary funds for these:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...56,43390,57821

Those look handy, I might pick some up. But I can think of some other
things that might work nearly as well, things I have around the house.

or the accessories that go with them:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43456,43390

I think I'll forgo the lazy susan.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/4/2011 8:44 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

If you use a gel varnish the surface is ready to be propped up almost
immediately. I can easily get 3 coats of gel varnish laid down in a day.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote in
:

On 12/4/2011 9:40 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 18:30:22 -0800 (PST),

Looks like I once again posted from Google Groups with the
wrong log-in.

At the time I was ready to start the finishing, there
were no responses here as yet. What did you all do, sleep
in?

Well, we didn't think you had any discretionary funds for
these:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...57821&cat=1,12
0,43456,4339 0,57821

Those look handy, I might pick some up. But I can think of
some other things that might work nearly as well, things I
have around the house.

or the accessories that go with them:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...67720&cat=1,43
456,43390 g

I think I'll forgo the lazy susan.

Depending on the hinge you use Rockler has 2 types of hooks to
hang the door from while finishing them. Navigate to their
website and search for "sure hook".

Larry

#4 nails in the edges where the holes can be repaired or
won't matter. Rest the panels across a couple of 2x4s
until dry.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 09:19:57 -0500, Greg Guarino
wrote:

On 12/4/2011 9:40 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 18:30:22 -0800 (PST),

Looks like I once again posted from Google Groups with the wrong log-in.

At the time I was ready to start the finishing, there were no

Well, we didn't think you had any discretionary funds for these:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...56,43390,57821

Those look handy, I might pick some up. But I can think of some other
things that might work nearly as well, things I have around the house.

They do look handy, don't they? Who here is using them now and how do
they fare? When is Lee Valley's next free shipping event? g

or the accessories that go with them:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43456,43390

I think I'll forgo the lazy susan.

Here, these are a lot cheaper and you can put a hunk of MDF over one
to replicate the pricy model.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...50,43298,43316

--
With every experience, you alone are painting your
own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/5/2011 10:32 AM, Leon wrote:

If you use a gel varnish the surface is ready to be propped up almost
immediately. I can easily get 3 coats of gel varnish laid down in a day.

There was a movie whose name might have been "Moscow on the Hudson";
Robin Williams is a Russian saxophonist who defects in a NY department
store. The one scene I remember best is where, overwhelmed by the myriad
choices in an American supermarket and unable to choose, he faints. I
feel that way in the Cold Remedies aisle these days, and when
contemplating the various wood-finishing choices.

Gel varnish? Maybe if I hit the kind of lottery that awards you the
economy of a mid-sized nation I'll go out and buy all of the various
finishing products and spend a year testing them.

I mean no reproach here; I'm grateful for the advice. But finishing
often seems to be Cape and Pointy Hat territory. Bubble, bubble, OIL and
trouble...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/5/2011 7:09 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Gel varnish application is a no brainer. You wipe it on, you wipe it
off, immediately. Dust is no problem as it is dry to the touch in 2~3
minutes. No drips no runs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 5, 8:43*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

Regular varnish cut 50% works the same.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2011 12:46 AM, Father Haskell wrote:
[...]

Maybe as a result but gel varnishes do not drip or run regardless of how
much you put down.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Attach one or more hinges to the doors and then connect two doors
together with the hinge pins. Then arrange the doors so they can
stand alone. Happy finishing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/5/2011 8:43 PM, Leon wrote:

Gel varnish application is a no brainer. You wipe it on, you wipe it
off, immediately. Dust is no problem as it is dry to the touch in 2~3
minutes. No drips no runs.

"No-Brainer" sounds like just my speed, but I have two questions. How
are the results? And, where do I get some? I did a little preliminary
searching and it seemed that the one company that offered Gel Varnish
(as opposed to Gel Stain) didn't have any right now. I'm not in a hurry,
but the notice seemed odd, almost like the stuff wasn't being made.
Which brand do you use, and where do you get it?

..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

[...]

I hadn't even heard of gel varnish until I got a small can along with a
maple bench top from Grizzly. I needed to be able to touch up some areas
where I made some special cutouts.

In the past, I've always used Watco Danish Oil on most projects. This is
pretty easy to use, but it still takes a while to apply.

The gel stuff is really pretty amazing. Wipe it on, wait a few minutes &
wipe it off. It WILL take several coats to get any significant film
thickness, so if you need serious protection, you are probably better off
with a brush on varnish. However, if all you need is a nice sealed
finish with minimum fuss & no chance of drips or sags, it's just the
ticket.

Doug White
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 9, 9:13*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

Same as "Danish" oil, without the oil portion. Wipe back until
almost dry to the touch, and the varnish won't run. Gel's fine,
until you can't find it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2011 7:15 PM, Father Haskell wrote:
[...]

I am a bit confused, until you can't find it. Admittedly my two
favorite went out of business but they were small businesses. There are
more brands of gel varnish today than twenty years ago when I first
started using the product.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2011 3:13 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 12/5/2011 8:43 PM, Leon wrote:

Gel varnish application is a no brainer. You wipe it on, you wipe it
off, immediately. Dust is no problem as it is dry to the touch in 2~3
minutes. No drips no runs.

"No-Brainer" sounds like just my speed, but I have two questions. How
are the results? And, where do I get some? I did a little preliminary
searching and it seemed that the one company that offered Gel Varnish
(as opposed to Gel Stain) didn't have any right now. I'm not in a hurry,
but the notice seemed odd, almost like the stuff wasn't being made.
Which brand do you use, and where do you get it?

.

I find that the gel varnish needs to have several applications.
Typically I put on a minimum of 3 coats, heavier use 4 coats and rarely
more than that.
Both Rockler and Wood Craft sell Gel Varnishes.

I used to use Bartleys and then Lawrence McFadden but both went out of
business as far as the finishing products are concerned, they were both
premium quality products.

Soooo I am goint to have to find a new brand and the list below is
listed in the order that I will try.

In the order of my preference,

Brands:

Old Masters,
Good Stuff,

General Finishes, found at most any woodworking store, Woodcraft, Rockler

Verathane,
Minwax,

Using this type varnish for 20 years I have found that it works vest and
applies easier if you apply with a lint free t-shirt material or lint
free paper towel. Blue Scotts shop paper towels work well for application.
Almost immediately and or immediately if you want wipe all excess away
on the first coat with a lint free t-shirt material rag. If the rag
becomes saturated, discard of it properly and use a clean new one. You
will need to do this with every coat. You do not want to use a stiff
rag for removing excess. The natural wood color will immediately
appear. A few hours later apply subsequent coats. This time however
wipe just hard enough to remove the excessively thick shiny spots. Wipe
just hard enough to smooth out the finish. Some times it is a matter of
mostly letting the weight of the rag be the only force.

You do have to apply more coats BUT you typically end up with a perfect
finish that is baby butt smooth. Dust is not an issue. You can reapply
3~4 coats a day. Virtually no clean up. No drips No runs.

"If" the final coat feels a bit rough, let it set a day or two and then
rub the surface with a piece of paper. This will work immediately and
almost like magic in smoothing the surface.

Posted to rec.woodworking

General Finish:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Search2/Sea...ry=gel%20stain

or

http://woodworker.com/golden-pine-ge...n&searchmode=2

Both are very safe to deal with...

Gel Varnish is the same product with no color added.