Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Somebody remind me

Of the technique for boring equally-spaced holes in boards that will be the
sides of a bookshelf, for the little posts that hold up the shelves.

I'll be using a drill press.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Of the technique for boring equally-spaced holes in boards that will be
the sides of a bookshelf, for the little posts that hold up the shelves.

I'll be using a drill press.

Simplest, fastest, cheapest method is to just use some pegboard. Cut it to
size, clamp it to the board and drill away. Just make sure that the
distance from the edge is the same front and back.

Most folks I know who do this use some kind of router template. These are
available from almost any kind of woodworkers store.

I have just laid out the holes on the board and marked them. I use
something to "counterpunch" a depression or drill a tiny hole first. This
helps "grab" the drill when lining up the stock under the drill in a drill
press.

I suppose it just depends on how many holes you have to drill and how much
time and money you want to put into it. I have seen custom drill templates
made out of aluminum for this purpose. Just remember any kind of template
can get sloppy real fast if the drill takes any material away from the guide
hole. Which is why most folks prefer a router for this kind of thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 1, 2:43*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Of the technique for boring equally-spaced holes in boards that will be the
sides of a bookshelf, for the little posts that hold up the shelves.

I'll be using a drill press.

Thanks.

They sell templates that are made to work with self centering drills,
a drill bit in a sliding spring loaded cylinder. It has a built in
depth stop. Wit the template you can do this with a hand drill pretty
fast.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Simplest, fastest, cheapest method is to just use some pegboard.

-----------------------------------
Life is too short to waste it.

http://tinyurl.com/7rde2kt

Best $25 you will ever invest.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/11 6:27 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Simplest, fastest, cheapest method is to just use some pegboard.

-----------------------------------
Life is too short to waste it.

http://tinyurl.com/7rde2kt

Best $25 you will ever invest.

Lew

Someday they will make those bits so they don't clog every 4th hole. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On Dec 1, 2:43 pm, wrote:
Of the technique for boring equally-spaced holes in boards that will be the
sides of a bookshelf, for the little posts that hold up the shelves.

I'll be using a drill press.

Thanks.

They sell templates that are made to work with self centering drills,
a drill bit in a sliding spring loaded cylinder. It has a built in
depth stop. Wit the template you can do this with a hand drill pretty
fast.

On a sort-of similar project, I made my own template out of 3/4" scrap
stuff. I clamped it to the work and drilled through the same-size holes
I drilled in it. If your "template" has a square end, it seems like it
would work pretty well for drilling holes in a row along evenly spaced
lines. It will help avoid tear-out too.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Simplest, fastest, cheapest method is to just use some pegboard.

-----------------------------------
Life is too short to waste it.

http://tinyurl.com/7rde2kt

Best $25 you will ever invest.

+10

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Edward A. Falk wrote:
In ,
wrote:
Of the technique for boring equally-spaced holes in boards that will be the
sides of a bookshelf, for the little posts that hold up the shelves.

Here's what I did: I made a wooden strip about three feet long, and
very carefully pounded nails through it at precise 1.5" intervals
so that just their tips stuck out the other side.

Then, whenever I want to make a line of holes, I place the wooden
strip where I want the holes to be, and press it down until all the
nail tips leave good dimples in my workpiece. Then I use the
drill press to drill out all the holes.

I think this consistent with my earlier suggestion. In practice, I'm
not yet convinced that a well-centered nail hole or dimple is a lot
better than a pencil mark. A 3/4" template permits you to drill with
confidence. Some good suggestions below!

Bill (i.e. what do I know?)

A couple more tips: Don't drill the holes all the way through; it's
unsightly. If the bookshelf has more than one vertical compartment,
the vertical board between compartments becomes a problem -- holes
drilled on one side will likely meet holes drilled from the other
side and become through holes, which you don't want. To prevent
this, offset the two lines of holes. E.g. on one side, make the holes
1" from the front, and on the other, make them 1-1/4". This way,
the holes don't meet, and you'll never notice the offset.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4ed81b81$0$8602
:

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Simplest, fastest, cheapest method is to just use some pegboard.

-----------------------------------
Life is too short to waste it.

http://tinyurl.com/7rde2kt

Best $25 you will ever invest.

Lew

Indeed. Clamp the jig securely or else ... DAMHIKT

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 02 Dec 2011 01:56:02 GMT, Han wrote:

Indeed. Clamp the jig securely or else ... DAMHIKT

We drilled a small hole at each end for a 4d nail to hold it in place.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Simplest, fastest, cheapest method is to just use some pegboard.

-----------------------------------
Life is too short to waste it.

http://tinyurl.com/7rde2kt

Best $25 you will ever invest.

Lew

Indeed. Clamp the jig securely or else ... DAMHIKT

Drill one hole, peg it, move to the other end, drill and peg, then
finish the pattern.

--
Intuition isn't the enemy, but the ally, of reason.
-- John Kord Lagemann
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/11 7:56 PM, Han wrote:
"Lew wrote in news:4ed81b81$0$8602
:

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Simplest, fastest, cheapest method is to just use some pegboard.

-----------------------------------
Life is too short to waste it.

http://tinyurl.com/7rde2kt

Best $25 you will ever invest.

Lew

Indeed. Clamp the jig securely or else ... DAMHIKT

Clamp? Why? The index pin holds it in the last hole drilled and
drilling takes only one hand.
I hold it with the other hand, just like the picture in the link.

Of course, unclogging that bit takes both hands. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/11 8:50 PM, Mike O. wrote:
On 02 Dec 2011 01:56:02 GMT, wrote:

Indeed. Clamp the jig securely or else ... DAMHIKT

We drilled a small hole at each end for a 4d nail to hold it in place.

Mike

Why don't you guys just hold it in place like in the picture?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2011 4:43 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Of the technique for boring equally-spaced holes in boards that will be the
sides of a bookshelf, for the little posts that hold up the shelves.

I'll be using a drill press.

Thanks.

Can you say Tee Dee Us? Unless you just need some DP time, avoid it.
Too darn slow and you don't need "PERFECT" 90 degree holes. Spacing is
important. I use what Lew is suggesting but you can get away with a
brad point bit, depth stop collar, and pegboard.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Simplest, fastest, cheapest method is to just use some pegboard.

-----------------------------------
Life is too short to waste it.

http://tinyurl.com/7rde2kt

Best $25 you will ever invest.

Lew

Indeed. Clamp the jig securely or else ... DAMHIKT

I never have clamped my jig, I use a a shelf hook in a previously
drilled hole to hold it in place.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Of the technique for boring equally-spaced holes in boards that will
be the sides of a bookshelf, for the little posts that hold up the
shelves. I'll be using a drill press.

Simplest, fastest, cheapest method is to just use some pegboard. Cut
it to size, clamp it to the board and drill away. Just make sure
that the distance from the edge is the same front and back.

[Slaps forehead] Pegboard. Of course. Thanks for reminding me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Simplest, fastest, cheapest method is to just use some pegboard.

-----------------------------------
Life is too short to waste it.

http://tinyurl.com/7rde2kt

Best $25 you will ever invest.

Lew

Someday they will make those bits so they don't clog every 4th hole. :-)

--

-MIKE-

Mike.... Thats the way to go. I have used one for a couple years. Will never
part with it. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Simplest, fastest, cheapest method is to just use some pegboard.
-----------------------------------
Life is too short to waste it.

http://tinyurl.com/7rde2kt

Best $25 you will ever invest.

Lew

Someday they will make those bits so they don't clog every 4th hole. :-)

--

-MIKE-

Mike.... Thats the way to go. I have used one for a couple years. Will never
part with it. WW

I have one.... two, no wait, three... and they all clog every few holes
to the point where the spring-bushing sticks in the depressed position,
so you have to stop and hold the housing while you spin the bit,
dislodging the clogged debris. It's very, very f-n annoying and
frustrating.

I'm not saying I'd go back to using no guide, but it sure would be nice
if they'd modify the bit to expel the debris better. If there's a better
3rd party bit that fit the guide, I'm all ears.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2011 5:43 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Of the technique for boring equally-spaced holes in boards that will be the
sides of a bookshelf, for the little posts that hold up the shelves.

I'll be using a drill press.

Simply mark the shelf sides where you want the pins, transfer the marks
with a square to the other side of the shelf. Set your fence on the DP
to the distance you want from the edge, put a mark on the DP fence and
align the marks on the fence to the mark on the shelf sides and drill
away. The pins will be perfect every time and easier than fussing
around with peg board, jigs and all that rot.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com