Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router planing sled with a mortising bit?

I am putting together a router sled to plane down an end grain cutting board this weekend as the belt sander is not really doing what I want and taking a loooong time.

Anyway, I know what I'm going to build, but my question is with the bit. I can buy "flat bottom" or planing bits online, but nothing local and I really wanted to do this over this weekend. Woodcraft (we have a store here) has a 1 1/4" mortising bit:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...4-D-12-CL.aspx

Would this not produce a pretty flat surface in this scenario? I know I have to do some sanding to finish it, I just am trying to minimize it.

-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/1/2011 3:19 PM, jtpr wrote:

Would this not produce a pretty flat surface in this scenario?...

In that scenario a core box bit will produce a flat surface (if you move
over the surface enough)...

Sure; anything flat will suffice for the purpose, larger means fewer
passes to cover the area but you'll want a few more passes over the
material to ensure don't hit some big area too hard first cut. If
you've got a 3/4" or so, give it a go and see--it'll probably turn out
to be all you need.

Or, of course, let your fingers do the walking to the nearby shop and
have them run it through their thickness sander... If you've got a
Woodcraft it's a big enough place there's bound to be a cabinet or
architectural shop that surely would be glad to do it...

Biggest thing miss from Lynchburg was the access to the commercial shop
at a whim.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...108-Mortising-...

Would this not produce a pretty flat surface in this scenario? *I know I have to do some sanding to finish it, I just am trying to minimize it.

-Jim

That'l do it
Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Yeah, I thought of that, but I'd like to do the whole thing myself just to see what is involved in the event I want to make more. But you have a point, I think I'll see what is in the area just for a backup.

-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/11 3:19 PM, jtpr wrote:
I am putting together a router sled to plane down an end grain cutting board this weekend as the belt sander is not really doing what I want and taking a loooong time.

Anyway, I know what I'm going to build, but my question is with the bit. I can buy "flat bottom" or planing bits online, but nothing local and I really wanted to do this over this weekend. Woodcraft (we have a store here) has a 1 1/4" mortising bit:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...4-D-12-CL.aspx

Would this not produce a pretty flat surface in this scenario? I know I have to do some sanding to finish it, I just am trying to minimize it.

-Jim

If the top edges of the bit are also cutting edges, it will produce a
pretty smooth surface. Get the largest diameter you can find.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--