Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Uses for MDF?

I have read various posts about what MDF is not good for. So, what IS it
good for? Why is it made? Who uses it?

Jigs? Sleds? Boxes? Shelves? Cupboards? Cupboard doors?

Same thing re finishes for MDF.

Oil? Alcohol (shellac)? Water-based?

I recently made some utility boxes with it and was pleased with how easily
it machined. First time I've used it. (Dust collection an absolute must.)
I put them together with 18ga brads and glue with a shellac sealer. Seems
OK now but will it fall apart or disintegrate in 6 months?

Minwax shows a video of putting gel stain on MDF so they must have some idea
of how to seal it.

There must be some rationale for making the stuff unless the government is
just subsidizing it like solar cells.

Ralph

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 21:19:12 -0800, "Ralph Compton"
wrote:

I have read various posts about what MDF is not good for. So, what IS it
good for? Why is it made? Who uses it?

Jigs? Sleds?

No, use Baltic or Russian birch ply instead.
Gluing and routing jigs are the exception.

Boxes? Cupboards?

Yes, cabinetry and speaker boxes.

Shelves?

Narrow shelves, as it won't support weight for long.

Cupboard doors?

VERY low-rent.

Same thing re finishes for MDF.

Oil? Alcohol (shellac)? Water-based?

Shellac or oil finishes preferred, IF you finish it.

I recently made some utility boxes with it and was pleased with how easily
it machined. First time I've used it. (Dust collection an absolute must.)

Yes, use DC, but it's hell on bits. Dulls 'em quickly.

I put them together with 18ga brads and glue with a shellac sealer. Seems
OK now but will it fall apart or disintegrate in 6 months?

They don't like a lot of movement, so they don't make good travel
chests. Brads to hold the glue until it sets is just fine. Biscuits
are fine, too, usually with brads to...

Minwax shows a video of putting gel stain on MDF so they must have some idea
of how to seal it.

snort

There must be some rationale for making the stuff unless the government is
just subsidizing it like solar cells.

It's cheap, flat, fairly strong, and easy to hide. People veneer it
and laminate it, mostly. Reason for making it: To use up all that
damned excess sawdust, of course.

--
In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the
necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/29/2011 9:38 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 21:19:12 -0800, "Ralph Compton"

Cupboard doors?

VERY low-rent.

Bzzzzzt! Not true at ALL C-Less!

All mdf is not created equal and high quality mdf makes some of the best
cabinet doors you can buy, and also some of the best interior doors for
houses.

AAMOF, the dimensional stability of the product makes it superior for
many of these applications, particularly where design spacing spec's
must be met 24/7/365.

Jerk thyself into the 21st century!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Shellac or oil finishes preferred, IF you finish it.

Finish it? Hell, the only proper way to finish MDF is to throw the crap in
the dumpster. That finishes it perfectly.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:07:06 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 11/29/2011 9:38 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 21:19:12 -0800, "Ralph Compton"

Cupboard doors?

VERY low-rent.

Bzzzzzt! Not true at ALL C-Less!

All mdf is not created equal and high quality mdf makes some of the best
cabinet doors you can buy, and also some of the best interior doors for
houses.

I sit corrected, but the only ones I've seen were truly less than
Sauder quality, more like _early_ particle board. =:0 Remember that
gawdawful stuff? Three drops of water and you get instant delam a
foot in diameter.

AAMOF, the dimensional stability of the product makes it superior for
many of these applications, particularly where design spacing spec's
must be met 24/7/365.

Yes, when kept dry, they're very stable.

Jerk thyself into the 21st century!

Easily, old sport. I'm ambidextrous.

--
In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the
necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create.
-- Raoul Vaneigem

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 10:38*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Yes, cabinetry and speaker boxes.

I used to buy HDF, high density fibre board. Considerably denser and
able to make MUCH bigger dust storms.
I had it laid up with a variety of veneers. Made very heavy/
acoustically dead boxes. My V-groove guy was able to cut exactly half-
way through the veneer which ranged, depending on species from 1/32 to
as much as .040 ( just a smidge over a mm.) Wonderful substrate.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I made kitchen counter tops from MDF. Comes in 48-49-50 inch widths.
Cut it in half roughly and you get double layers of counter top.
Takes plastic laminate great. Contact cement sticks to it great.
Cover the edges so water won't get to it and it should last for
decades.

On Nov 28, 11:19*pm, "Ralph Compton"
wrote:
I have read various posts about what MDF is not good for. *So, what IS it
good for? * Why is it made? *Who uses it?

Jigs? *Sleds? *Boxes? *Shelves? *Cupboards? *Cupboard doors?

Same thing re finishes for MDF.

Oil? *Alcohol (shellac)? *Water-based?

I recently made some utility boxes with it and was pleased with how easily
it machined. *First time I've used it. *(Dust collection an absolute must.)
I put them together with 18ga brads and glue with a shellac sealer. *Seems
OK now but will it fall apart or disintegrate in 6 months?

Minwax shows a video of putting gel stain on MDF so they must have some idea
of how to seal it.

There must be some rationale for making the stuff unless the government is
just subsidizing it like solar cells.

Ralph

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have read various posts about what MDF is not good for. *So, what IS it
good for? * Why is it made? *Who uses it?

Jigs? *Sleds? *Boxes? *Shelves? *Cupboards? *Cupboard doors?

Same thing re finishes for MDF.

Oil? *Alcohol (shellac)? *Water-based?

I recently made some utility boxes with it and was pleased with how easily
it machined. *First time I've used it. *(Dust collection an absolute must.)
I put them together with 18ga brads and glue with a shellac sealer. *Seems
OK now but will it fall apart or disintegrate in 6 months?

Minwax shows a video of putting gel stain on MDF so they must have some idea
of how to seal it.

There must be some rationale for making the stuff unless the government is
just subsidizing it like solar cells.

Ralph

You have to apply a balance sheet. Have to.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/29/2011 3:06 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:07:06 -0600, wrote:

On 11/29/2011 9:38 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 21:19:12 -0800, "Ralph Compton"

Cupboard doors?

VERY low-rent.

Bzzzzzt! Not true at ALL C-Less!

All mdf is not created equal and high quality mdf makes some of the best
cabinet doors you can buy, and also some of the best interior doors for
houses.

I sit corrected, but the only ones I've seen were truly less than
Sauder quality, more like _early_ particle board. =:0 Remember that
gawdawful stuff? Three drops of water and you get instant delam a
foot in diameter.

AAMOF, the dimensional stability of the product makes it superior for
many of these applications, particularly where design spacing spec's
must be met 24/7/365.

Yes, when kept dry, they're very stable.

Actually there is MDF that remains dimensionally stable when wet. I
forget the technical name for it but it is referred to as water
resistant MDF. The particular kind I am referring to is green, dollar
bill green. Swingman and I recently built cabinets and doors for a
kitchen remodel, the doors were this green MDF and we put a piece of the
material 3/4x3/4x8" in a bird bath that had circulating water and left
it to soak over night. The MDF did not change size or shape and the
water did not wick.

Jerk thyself into the 21st century!

Easily, old sport. I'm ambidextrous.

--
In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the
necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create.
-- Raoul Vaneigem

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/2011 7:48 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes, when kept dry, they're very stable.

Actually there is MDF that remains dimensionally stable when wet. I
forget the technical name for it but it is referred to as water
resistant MDF. The particular kind I am referring to is green, dollar
bill green. Swingman and I recently built cabinets and doors for a
kitchen remodel, the doors were this green MDF and we put a piece of the
material 3/4x3/4x8" in a bird bath that had circulating water and left
it to soak over night. The MDF did not change size or shape and the
water did not wick.

And that piece was unfinished ... after being primed and painted that
particular material is at the top of the category of any other material
suitable for cabinet doors in a _painted_ kitchen environment, and
better than most for its dimensional stability and resistance to
warping, shrinking and cracking.

Until the end of the first decade of the 21st century I was reluctant to
even consider the use of composite material in a kitchen door, but times
have changed, and so have the properties of the materials available.

The problems come, not from the material itself, but from reactions
based on old experiences, ignorance of the properties of newer materials
available, and an unwillingness to change with the times.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:48:58 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Amazing, but that material is certainly not the norm, nor is it
reasonable in price, nor is it easily obtained locally.

--
In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the
necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create.
-- Raoul Vaneigem
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/11 8:32 AM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

I remember an argument in here in which someone said they refused to use
that horrible, cheap, new building material called, "plywood" as a
subfloor, but would stick with the tried and true 6 and 8 inch wide
floor boards which were so much stronger and more stable. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/2011 12:02 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:48:58 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet

Amazing, but that material is certainly not the norm, nor is it
reasonable in price, nor is it easily obtained locally.

UltraStock: $32.95 (4 x 8x 3/4).

Heard tell right here the other day that Home Depot carries
Temple-Inland's "UltraStock" (the green stuff Leon is talking about) in
many locales. A hardwood plywood supplier/lumber yard should have it,
or can get it.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 5:27*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 29, 5:17*pm, "

wrote:

I have read various posts about what MDF is not good for. *So, what IS it
good for? * Why is it made? *Who uses it?

Jigs? *Sleds? *Boxes? *Shelves? *Cupboards? *Cupboard doors?

Same thing re finishes for MDF.

Oil? *Alcohol (shellac)? *Water-based?

I recently made some utility boxes with it and was pleased with how easily
it machined. *First time I've used it. *(Dust collection an absolute must.)
I put them together with 18ga brads and glue with a shellac sealer. *Seems
OK now but will it fall apart or disintegrate in 6 months?

Minwax shows a video of putting gel stain on MDF so they must have some idea
of how to seal it.

There must be some rationale for making the stuff unless the government is
just subsidizing it like solar cells.

Ralph

You have to apply a balance sheet. Have to.- Hide quoted text -

By balance sheet I assume you mean another layer of plastic laminate
to the other side of the MDF. Would you? Assuming two layers of MDF,
1.5" thick. With plastic laminate on the top for the counter top.
Would you put another layer of plastic laminate on the bottom?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/2011 04:45 PM, wrote:
On Nov 29, 5:27 pm, wrote:
On Nov 29, 5:17 pm, "

wrote:

[...]

Depends on environment. My 5th wheel countertops are bowed up at the
ends close to 1/4" over 7' meaning the 3/4' mdf substrate has expanded
and the formica hasn't. Of course, the 5th wheel sits unheated and
uncooled for weeks and sometimes months at a time. Even so, I am
surprised as it mostly is stored in the Arizona desert environment. I
think plywood would have been a better choice for a substrate in a RV -
that's what I used in a house I built in Washington State and the
countertops stayed flat.

--
"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame somebody else." -John Burroughs