Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Where to buy 320 grit 3 x 18 sanding belts?

I need a 320 grit or higher 3" x 18" sanding belt. Or a
variety/assortment pack that includes at least one 320 grit
sanding belt. Amazon has 10 for $21 (shipped), but here that would
be a waste of about eight of those belts. I need at most two or
three, and can get by with one for now. I don't mind paying more
per belt for fewer belts.

Or maybe I should just pay the $21 and forget about the waste of
belts.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Nov 23, 1:48*pm, John Doe wrote:
I need a 320 grit or higher 3" x 18" sanding belt. Or a
variety/assortment pack that includes at least one 320 grit
sanding belt. Amazon has 10 for $21 (shipped), but here that would
be a waste of about eight of those belts. I need at most two or
three, and can get by with one for now. I don't mind paying more
per belt for fewer belts.

Or maybe I should just pay the $21 and forget about the waste of
belts.

Thanks.

Lacking a local mainstream store that handles them I would check
Yellow Pages or Google for an area industrial supply store. We live
in a rural town but we have several shops within 20-30 miles that can
get pretty much anything - often at a a lower price than the usual
retail outlets. One store that comes to mind is Fastenal but there
are others - many privately operated.

RonB
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

http://barbkat.com/sanding_belts

320 & 400 available. $.90 ea + shipping

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 11/23/2011 12:48 PM, John Doe wrote:
I need a 320 grit or higher 3" x 18" sanding belt. Or a
variety/assortment pack that includes at least one 320 grit
sanding belt. Amazon has 10 for $21 (shipped), but here that would
be a waste of about eight of those belts. I need at most two or
three, and can get by with one for now. I don't mind paying more
per belt for fewer belts.

Or maybe I should just pay the $21 and forget about the waste of
belts.

Thanks.

i use http://customsandingbelts.com/abrasive.asp

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

http://tinyurl.com/6rulghb

Lew

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/search.aspx?q=3x18

I've used this company for years - very high quality paper
and cloth.

The prices should be much better.

Martin

On 11/23/2011 1:48 PM, John Doe wrote:
I need a 320 grit or higher 3" x 18" sanding belt. Or a
variety/assortment pack that includes at least one 320 grit
sanding belt. Amazon has 10 for $21 (shipped), but here that would
be a waste of about eight of those belts. I need at most two or
three, and can get by with one for now. I don't mind paying more
per belt for fewer belts.

Or maybe I should just pay the $21 and forget about the waste of
belts.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 14:59:36 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

http://barbkat.com/sanding_belts

320 & 400 available. $.90 ea + shipping

Bob

I STRONGLY recommend Barbkat. Ive bought belts from her for many years
and turned on many customers to her and all have been tickled ****less
with the quality and pricing

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 11/23/2011 1:48 PM, John Doe wrote:
I need a 320 grit or higher 3" x 18" sanding belt. Or a
variety/assortment pack that includes at least one 320 grit
sanding belt. Amazon has 10 for $21 (shipped), but here that would
be a waste of about eight of those belts. I need at most two or
three, and can get by with one for now. I don't mind paying more
per belt for fewer belts.

Or maybe I should just pay the $21 and forget about the waste of
belts.

Thanks.

Klingspor will make any size you want, though 3x18 looks to be a
standard size:
http://www.klingspor.com/

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/search.aspx?q=3x18

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Gunner Asch gunnerasch gmail.com wrote:

Bob Engelhardt bobengelhardt comcast.net wrote:

http://barbkat.com/sanding_belts

320 & 400 available. $.90 ea + shipping

Bob

I STRONGLY recommend Barbkat.

FWIW... Deleted from my bookmarks...
--

Ive bought belts from her for many years
and turned on many customers to her and all have been tickled ****less
with the quality and pricing

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Wild_Bill" wb_wildbill XSPAMyahoo.com wrote:

I'm not seeing the OP (frequently happens with this
hack/spitVistablows and APN), so I'll add a comment here.

If JD could find a roll of 3" wide abrasive with a suitable
backing, it's not too difficult to make belts. I've used a hard
hone stone to knock off about 1/8" of the grit from the
angle-cut ends cut from roll stock, which then provides a thin
backing margin which can be overlapped without creating a hump.
Superglue or other adhesive that's not particularly sensitive to
heat, can be used to glue the overlap. Apply glue, compress with
a clamp so the belt is flat and straight (like one does when
welding a bandsaw blade).

Whether this method will be suitable for the intended use
depends upon the application, but for working with wood it works
fine IME.

FWIW...
I ordered three 3 x 18 aluminum oxide closed coat 600 grain/grit
sanding belts from (http://customsandingbelts.com/abrasive.asp)
If everything goes well, they should last for months or more,
here. Making them sounds fun, but I need few.
Thanks to the replies.