Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is the proper term for chemicals used to color wood via chemical reaction

ISTR that there is a word for the chemicals used to artificially age
or color wood via a chemical reaction.
Examples would be sodium hydroxide, iron acetate, potassium
dichromate, or nitric acid.

This is distinct from coloring wood with dyes or stains or toning it
with colored clear finishes.

Does anybody know what the proper term is for the technique or the
chemicals used?

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 1:47*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 11/4/2011 12:43 PM, Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

ISTR that there is a word for the chemicals used to artificially age
or color wood via a chemical reaction.
Examples would be sodium hydroxide, iron acetate, potassium
dichromate, or nitric acid.

This is distinct from coloring wood with dyes or stains or toning it
with colored clear finishes.

Does anybody know what the proper term is for the technique or the
chemicals used?

Fuming

Now now, don't get angry...

OK, just kidding. That's what you call it when you use ammonia
vapor, but not
when you apply the chemical in aqueous solution, right?

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

One word that would apply to sodium hydroxide and nitric acid when in
contact with organic materials is that they act as 'denaturants.'
They alter the structure of proteins, a process called denaturation.
A drop of nitric acid will produce yellowish brown stains on skin.

As to the other chemicals, I don't know if the same thing applies. I
seem to remember potassium dichromate had a strong orange color, but I
think you're looking for effects produced through a chemical
reactions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
ISTR that there is a word for the chemicals used to artificially age
or color wood via a chemical reaction.
Examples would be sodium hydroxide, iron acetate, potassium
dichromate, or nitric acid.

This is distinct from coloring wood with dyes or stains or toning it
with colored clear finishes.

Does anybody know what the proper term is for the technique or the
chemicals used?

--

FF

There is no one word that characterizes the use of "chemicals" to color
wood. Since they react with the wood itself, unlike a pigment or dye,
perhaps "reactives" might be a good shorthand. Fuming is specific to
ammonia. Acids like nitric and sulfuric as well as things like potassium
permanganate are all oxidants. They color the wood by oxidizing the wood
components. Dichromate both oxidizes and dyes the wood. Think of oxidants
acting as a very controlled "burn".

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message

On Nov 4, 1:47 pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 11/4/2011 12:43 PM, Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

ISTR that there is a word for the chemicals used to artificially age
or color wood via a chemical reaction.
Examples would be sodium hydroxide, iron acetate, potassium
dichromate, or nitric acid.

This is distinct from coloring wood with dyes or stains or toning it
with colored clear finishes.

Does anybody know what the proper term is for the technique or the
chemicals used?

Fuming

Now now, don't get angry...

OK, just kidding. That's what you call it when you use ammonia
vapor, but not
when you apply the chemical in aqueous solution, right?

Correct, direct application is not fuming. I don't remember what he called
it but David Marks once used this on one of his shows. I believe that
potassium
dichromate was what he used.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:39:45 +0000 (GMT), Stuart
wrote:

In article
,
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:
ISTR that there is a word for the chemicals used to artificially age
or color wood via a chemical reaction.
Examples would be sodium hydroxide, iron acetate, potassium
dichromate, or nitric acid.

This is distinct from coloring wood with dyes or stains or toning it
with colored clear finishes.

Does anybody know what the proper term is for the technique or the
chemicals used?

I think the term is "distressing", which also covers deliberatly damaging
furniture to make it look old or antique.

That's called "Minwaxing" here. titter

--
Life is an escalator:
You can move forward or backward;
Posted to rec.woodworking

Your sig.

Yes, I can remain still on an escalator for quite some time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2011 12:58 PM, CW wrote:

[...]

I was thinking aback about DM also but I thought he was using the
chemicals on metal surfaces rather than wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2011 8:30 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/5/2011 12:58 PM, CW wrote:

[...]

He did a lot of that with metal and called it patination IIRC.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 11/5/2011 12:58 PM, CW wrote:

[...]

I remember the metal piece but I thought that he also did one with wood.
Could be wrong. Long time ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 5, 6:34*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:39:45 +0000 (GMT), Stuart

wrote:
In article
,
* Fred the Red Shirt wrote:
ISTR that there is a word for the chemicals used to artificially age
or color wood via a chemical reaction.
Examples would be sodium hydroxide, iron acetate, potassium
dichromate, or nitric acid.

This is distinct from coloring wood with dyes or stains or toning it
with colored clear finishes.

Does anybody know what the proper term is for the technique or the
chemicals used?

I think the term is "distressing", which also covers deliberatly damaging
furniture to make it look old or antique.

That's called "Minwaxing" here. *titter

Or any finishing using polyurethane.