Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Just another one of those DOH! moments

I have a Grizzly 3hp dust collector that I've had for years. Been working
just fine. My "shop" is my garage so I used 4" PVC pipe to run overheads
and drops to the various machines, etc. Did all sorts of things like putting
sealing compound around the lid of the trash can used as a separator, sealed
all the gates as best as possible, PVC joints, etc. Always felt that the
suction was a tad low but I lived with it.

Last night I decided to change the way I had the original routing from the
unit to the separator, so I had to remove the main Y joint at the unit - the
DOH! moment came when I saw part of a plastic bag partially covering the
main opening. It had been there for a long time because when I removed it,
the resulting suction was noticeably different than it has been in years.
Not enough to completely block the flow but enough to diminish it.

Just don't know why I hadn't thought of checking that junction first.

life goes on.....

Vic

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't