Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Recall / Free Upgrade Kit

This is old news for some guys. Sears will send you a free upgrade
kit.

Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Recall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7emIOjHC_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgjxwvHf9To
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:26:43 -0700 (PDT), kimosabe
wrote:

This is old news for some guys. Sears will send you a free upgrade
kit.

Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Recall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7emIOjHC_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgjxwvHf9To

Got mine a couple of months ago. They say it takes up to ten weeks but it was
less than two, IIRC. Still haven't opened the box, though.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dss dss is offline

Got mine last year for a 20-year old saw. Only needed the serial
number and got it in a couple of weeks. Installed it this summer in a
couple of hours. It is of reasonable quality and makes the saw safer
and still very usable. The best part is it comes with a new 1" thick
table top.

Definitely worth doing.

dss
Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
zzzzzzzzzz typed:
wrote:

This is old news for some guys. Sears will send you a
free upgrade kit.

Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Recall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7emIOjHC_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgjxwvHf9To

Got mine a couple of months ago. They say it takes up to
ten weeks but it was less than two, IIRC. Still haven't
opened the box, though.

They should also be payng for labor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dss wrote:

Got mine last year for a 20-year old saw. Only needed the serial
number and got it in a couple of weeks. Installed it this summer in a
couple of hours. It is of reasonable quality and makes the saw safer
and still very usable. The best part is it comes with a new 1" thick
table top.

Definitely worth doing.

dss

I've got a 12" Craftsman. Is this available for it? Thanks, Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
dss dss is offline

James,

Here's the link I used.

http://radialarmsawrecall.com/

It doesn't look like the 12-inch are included.

dss

Posted to rec.woodworking

Does anyone know where I can get the upgrade kit from. I've just bought a rash and there stopped doing the kit in Feb apparently. I'm in the UK
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/21/2011 8:59 AM, dss wrote:
Got mine last year for a 20-year old saw. Only needed the serial
number and got it in a couple of weeks. Installed it this summer in a
couple of hours. It is of reasonable quality and makes the saw safer
and still very usable. The best part is it comes with a new 1" thick
table top.

Definitely worth doing.

dss

I say. Do it. You won't look back. Better than before.

Martin
Posted to rec.woodworking

I called this morning and when they offered the 100$ for sending in the old parts I told them that 100 would not replace the saw and I still needed to use it. The man said that they still had the kits and would send me the kit instead of the 100. You just have to ask when you call the number.

Posted to rec.woodworking

What was the number you call i recently bought one of these radial armsaws and found out the it need the upgrade guard..
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://bit.ly/15M7jmp

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

I called Sears about the recall and they told me my saw wasn't affected (typical Sears BS) when I knew mine was. Called Emerson at 1-800-511-2628 and had them run the model and serial number. Sure enough, they sent me the retrofit kit which includes the new table parts. If they haven't accounted for all of the saws affected, they have to honor your request. Sears will try and tell you the recall has ended, but it hasn't. Emerson will try and offer you a $100 to send the carriage assembly back to them, but opt for the kit. I called them about a month ago and my retrofit kit got here yesterday and I've already gotten it installed. I have an electronic model and I wasn't about to disable a perfectly good saw. Just some info for all you other woodworkers out there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 4:26:43 PM UTC-4, kimosabe wrote:
This is old news for some guys. Sears will send you a free upgrade
kit.

Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Recall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7emIOjHC_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgjxwvHf9To

just tried to call the 800-511-2628 number 6-19-2015. Worked earlier this week as Emerson RASrecall. But now says number is malfunctioning and Ridgid is making effort to correct problem by 22 June. Guess retrofit kits are no longer available. Bummer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

The phone likely goes into a rotating bank of phones. e.g. a call
center. So if the digital unit went down, wait it out and order one.

It is worth it by all means. I use the new one.

Just when you get it, add a layer of mdf or better ply on the top of
the mdf which will save the new flat hard layer.

I'm concerned with absorption of water - my shop is not sealed or
conditioned. Sometimes it rains inside.
Put machine cover over it and it should be ok.

Martin

On 6/19/2015 8:43 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 4:26:43 PM UTC-4, kimosabe wrote:
This is old news for some guys. Sears will send you a free upgrade
kit.

Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Recall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7emIOjHC_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgjxwvHf9To

just tried to call the 800-511-2628 number 6-19-2015. Worked earlier this week as Emerson RASrecall. But now says number is malfunctioning and Ridgid is making effort to correct problem by 22 June. Guess retrofit kits are no longer available. Bummer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 10:28:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I called Sears about the recall and they told me my saw wasn't affected (typical Sears BS) when I knew mine was. Called Emerson at 1-800-511-2628 and had them run the model and serial number. Sure enough, they sent me the retrofit kit which includes the new table parts. If they haven't accounted for all of the saws affected, they have to honor your request. Sears will try and tell you the recall has ended, but it hasn't. Emerson will try and offer you a $100 to send the carriage assembly back to them, but opt for the kit. I called them about a month ago and my retrofit kit got here yesterday and I've already gotten it installed. I have an electronic model and I wasn't about to disable a perfectly good saw. Just some info for all you other woodworkers out there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 10:28:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I called Sears about the recall and they told me my saw wasn't affected (typical Sears BS) when I knew mine was. Called Emerson at 1-800-511-2628 and had them run the model and serial number. Sure enough, they sent me the retrofit kit which includes the new table parts. If they haven't accounted for all of the saws affected, they have to honor your request. Sears will try and tell you the recall has ended, but it hasn't. Emerson will try and offer you a $100 to send the carriage assembly back to them, but opt for the kit. I called them about a month ago and my retrofit kit got here yesterday and I've already gotten it installed. I have an electronic model and I wasn't about to disable a perfectly good saw. Just some info for all you other woodworkers out there.

I have an electronic model also 113190600. Am going to chk on kit. Any advice. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 10:28:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I called Sears about the recall and they told me my saw wasn't affected (typical Sears BS) when I knew mine was. Called Emerson at 1-800-511-2628 and had them run the model and serial number. Sure enough, they sent me the retrofit kit which includes the new table parts. If they haven't accounted for all of the saws affected, they have to honor your request. Sears will try and tell you the recall has ended, but it hasn't. Emerson will try and offer you a $100 to send the carriage assembly back to them, but opt for the kit. I called them about a month ago and my retrofit kit got here yesterday and I've already gotten it installed. I have an electronic model and I wasn't about to disable a perfectly good saw. Just some info for all you other woodworkers out there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 4:26:43 PM UTC-4, kimosabe wrote:
This is old news for some guys. Sears will send you a free upgrade
kit.

the new news is they are no longer sending a kit, instead you make the saw worthless by sending parts to the company and they will send you $100. Then you can buy a new one for $800, in otherwards you have been screwed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 12:45:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 4:26:43 PM UTC-4, kimosabe wrote:
This is old news for some guys. Sears will send you a free upgrade
kit.

the new news is they are no longer sending a kit, instead you make the saw worthless by sending parts to the company and they will send you $100. Then you can buy a new one for $800, in otherwards you have been screwed.

I don't think that is correct...I am pretty sure if your saw has the "T" pivot release lock handle, then it qualifies for the repair kit. It bears investigation I guess...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2016 2:35 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 4:26:43 PM UTC-4, kimosabe wrote:
This is old news for some guys. Sears will send you a free
upgrade kit.

the new news is they are no longer sending a kit, instead you make
the saw worthless by sending parts to the company and they will
send you $100. Then you can buy a new one for $800, in otherwards
you have been screwed.

That was always the case for some models.

That's correct. My particular model was never eligible for the retrofit
kit like the others. In the end though, IF it is true that
Sears/Emerson Electric is no longer sending out the kits, to say one is
screwed is a rather ridiculous statement.

I'm not sure, but I'm reasonably certain that the retrofit offer has
been out there and fairly well published (and discussed) for at least
two decades, probably more. If you didn't take advantage of it, whose
fault is that?

OTOH, even though my RAS model was only ever eligible for the "turn in"
offer of $100, it still runs as well as it did when I bought it in the
early 70's. AFAIAC, it's one of the better Sears RAS that still had
some "beef" and, when properly set up and tuned was and is a great RAS.

The only thing the recall ever addressed was safety guard issues that,
again, are pretty much "non-issues" if you exercise the due care
required when using such tools.

Just my two cents.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om,
says...

[...]

Yep. To say that one is "screwed" is greatly overstating the case.
Getting a new table for free was nice, the new guard was more annoyance
than benefit and has been replaced with the old guard, so about all that
changed is that I saved the price of a half a sheet of MDF.

Posted to rec.woodworking

For what it's worth, I has a 9" Craftsman RAS stored away for possible resurrection in the future. Got it VERY cheap in a yard sale. I just realized it was a candidate for the recall. I sent in the request in May, got the return box in June and the $100 check last week.

So, if your saw is a candidate and you no longer want it, you can still get the $s.

Bill

On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 11:18:21 AM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
In article om,
says...

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 3:26:43 PM UTC-5, kimosabe wrote:
This is old news for some guys. Sears will send you a free upgrade
kit.

Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Recall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7emIOjHC_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgjxwvHf9To

Tried to get a safety kit for my radial arm saw. They said it was no longer available. They wanted me to send parts of my working saw in to disable it and get a $100 rebate. My saw is worth a lot more than that, as it is used often. Would just like it to be safer. 8 87u 8u 8
Posted to rec.woodworking

I call on Friday they said no more retrofit kits are available for my saw I have been using this saw for a long time and have had no issues with it so if they don't want to pay me it's value which to me is 500.00 as it makes me alot of money then it is on them if it does go to hell . Talked to my attorney he said they can't offer to fix just some and not all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to martyn.grogan, william mattert wrote:
I am in the same boat they won't send me a new blade guard where do I find one?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...it-526231-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2017 12:12 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 07:15:03 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 10:40:54 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 09:45:22 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:
This is old news for some guys. Sears will send you a free
upgrade kit.
the new news is they are no longer sending a kit, instead you
make the saw worthless by sending parts to the company and they
will send you $100. Then you can buy a new one for $800, in
otherwards you have been screwed.

I got mine six or eight years ago and it's still in the box.
;-) Some day I'll put the RAS back together.

Do you want to sell it?

I had mine for over ten years and it's still in its box, too, but I
don't think I'd sell it without the RAS.

Hmmmmmmmmm! There was the option of sending in the motor yoke (and
motor?) in a prepaid shipper and getting $100 back IIRC. Might try
going back to the well, so to speak, perhaps with a different name and
see if you can take advantage of Option B.

Then you'd have a kit available to sell.

Face it, RAS popularity is definitely waned. If it's working good, you
could probably get $100 to $125 for it without the modification. If you
modified it you could probably get the same $100 to $125. Sell the kit
for $75 and make some money. Just sayin'

My model was one that they NEVER made a kit for. My only option was to
sell them the yoke for $100 and dispose of the rest of the saw. Screw
that! It was and is a good solid saw that never gave me any problems
once I tuned it up. I can rip a 10' 1x or 2x using a good Freud rip
blade and come away with an edge that appears to have been run through a
jointer.

If you used the anti-kickback devices on the original as intended and
know what you're doing you'll have no problems. This whole thing comes
about with the government and lawyers (as usual) looking to design
safety devices to accommodate morons at the expense of the rest of us.

When I am king!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
This is old news for some guys. Sears will send you a free
upgrade kit.
the new news is they are no longer sending a kit, instead you
make the saw worthless by sending parts to the company and they
will send you $100. Then you can buy a new one for $800, in
otherwards you have been screwed.

I got mine six or eight years ago and it's still in the box.
;-) Some day I'll put the RAS back together.

Do you want to sell it?

I had mine for over ten years and it's still in its box, too, but I
don't think I'd sell it without the RAS.

Hmmmmmmmmm! There was the option of sending in the motor yoke (and
motor?) in a prepaid shipper and getting $100 back IIRC. Might try
going back to the well, so to speak, perhaps with a different name and
see if you can take advantage of Option B.

Fraud? For a hundred bucks? No thanks.

Then you'd have a kit available to sell.

Face it, RAS popularity is definitely waned. If it's working good, you
could probably get $100 to $125 for it without the modification. If you
modified it you could probably get the same $100 to $125. Sell the kit
for $75 and make some money. Just sayin'

It was working well the last time I used it (some time before '93 ;-).

My model was one that they NEVER made a kit for. My only option was to
sell them the yoke for $100 and dispose of the rest of the saw. Screw
that! It was and is a good solid saw that never gave me any problems
once I tuned it up. I can rip a 10' 1x or 2x using a good Freud rip
blade and come away with an edge that appears to have been run through a
jointer.

If you used the anti-kickback devices on the original as intended and
know what you're doing you'll have no problems. This whole thing comes
about with the government and lawyers (as usual) looking to design
safety devices to accommodate morons at the expense of the rest of us.

I launched a spear once, after the cut but the worst was when I had it
come after me when cross-cuting, twice. Didn't much like that. I
feel much safer with the table saw. It does a much better job, too.

When I am king!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 8:43:52 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 17:28:45 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
Face it, RAS popularity is definitely waned. If it's working good, you
could probably get $100 to $125 for it without the modification. If you
modified it you could probably get the same $100 to $125. Sell the kit
for $75 and make some money. Just sayin'

It was working well the last time I used it (some time before '93 ;-).

Your statement does a very good job of illustrating how antiquated, useless, worthless, etc. radial arm saws are now. If you haven't used it in 25 years, its probably not that useful. $75-$100-$125? Once, maybe, that meant something to me. Now, I might whip IT out to put out a fire of a $100 bill. But if it was the middle of winter and cold, I might keep IT warm and let the $100 bill burn up too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 11:12:41 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 8:43:52 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 17:28:45 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
Face it, RAS popularity is definitely waned. If it's working good, you
could probably get $100 to $125 for it without the modification. If you
modified it you could probably get the same $100 to $125. Sell the kit
for $75 and make some money. Just sayin'

It was working well the last time I used it (some time before '93 ;-).

Your statement does a very good job of illustrating how antiquated, useless, worthless, etc. radial arm saws are now. If you haven't used it in 25 years, its probably not that useful. $75-$100-$125? Once, maybe, that meant something to me. Now, I might whip IT out to put out a fire of a $100 bill. But if it was the middle of winter and cold, I might keep IT warm and let the $100 bill burn up too.

Sure, it also says something about how much that additional $100 would
mean to me. There is a far higher chance that I'll use the RAS than
my *&*$ PC biscuit cutter. I haven't sold it either, even though I've
only used it once (and never will again).

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in news

I wouldn't go that far.
I have a table saw with a sled, a really good compound miter saw, and a
radial arm saw.

The RAS is set up on the workbench, ready to use at all times with
dedicated dust collection in the hood and behind the fence. It's my
"go-to" saw for quick, perfectly square, clean cuts on any length stock
up to almost 16" wide and wider with a simply flip of the piece.

I would not want to be without it because of how convenient it is in my
shop, how great it cuts, and how it leaves virtually no saw dust in the
air.

I need to fit some sort of dust collection to my RAS, but other than that
it's a great saw. It took several days to tune up, but it was worth it!
I get square and true cuts with very little effort.

This guide was very helpful:

http://www.johnsonphotographic.com/g..._DeWalt_Radial
_Arm_Saws.pdf

If you don't have a DeWalt, don't despair. You'll likely see the same
concepts expressed differently on other saws. There has to be a way to
set the blade true to the fence and true to the table, the arm parallel
to the table and so on.

Puckdropper

Old Craftsman radial arm saw free - metro Atlanta John Woodworking 2 May 10th 07 04:49 PM
RECALL: Craftsman Circular Saw Greg Home Repair 0 April 6th 07 12:21 AM
RECALL: Craftsman Circular Saw Greg Home Ownership 0 April 6th 07 12:20 AM
Ryobi Radial Arm Saw Recall KENDALL SEYBERT Woodworking 4 July 20th 06 03:33 AM
Radial Arm Saw, Craftsman Booboo Woodworking 0 January 20th 05 08:53 PM