Posted to rec.woodworking

Default sandpaper requirements estimating

Is there any rule of thumb for estimating how much sandpaper
is needed for say, a 1 sq. yard of surface?

Am refinishing a salvaged/gift table, and it is taking more
than I thought. For one thing the sandpaper gums up with little
clots all the time.

TIA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:21:22 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Is there any rule of thumb for estimating how much sandpaper
is needed for say, a 1 sq. yard of surface?

One cabinetmaker's scraper.

Am refinishing a salvaged/gift table, and it is taking more
than I thought. For one thing the sandpaper gums up with little
clots all the time.

Use stripper, then finish-sand or scrape.

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/27/2011 6:21 AM, Contrarian wrote:
Is there any rule of thumb for estimating how much sandpaper
is needed for say, a 1 sq. yard of surface?

Am refinishing a salvaged/gift table, and it is taking more
than I thought. For one thing the sandpaper gums up with little
clots all the time.

TIA

Like most consumables it can be difficult to determine how much of what
you are going to need.

Given that however it sounds like you may need to do a bit of research
into the different types of sand paper. I would suggest that if your
paper is gumming up that you are probably using the wrong type paper for
what you are trying to accomplish. I would assume that you are trying
to remove the old finish which requires a different type paper to
prevent loading up and or the guming up that you are witnessing.

Several months ago I was doing a lot of sanding to remove glue from
drawer joints which alsp had protruding domino tenons that needed to be
sanded flush. There was basically no way to scrape off the excess glue.
I was having to change my paper for each drawer and I had about 12
drawers to sand. I changed paper after the second drawer and that third
piece of paper very successfully completed the remaining 10 drawers with
no more paper changes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/27/2011 6:55 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Male that, I changed the type of paper on the third drawer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Is there any rule of thumb for estimating how much sandpaper

One cabinetmaker's scraper.

yes!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 9/27/2011 6:21 AM, Contrarian wrote:
Is there any rule of thumb for estimating how much sandpaper
is needed for say, a 1 sq. yard of surface?

Given that however it sounds like you may need to do a bit of research
into the different types of sand paper. I would suggest that if your
paper is gumming up that you are probably using the wrong type paper for
what you are trying to accomplish. I would assume that you are trying
to remove the old finish which requires a different type paper to
prevent loading up and or the guming up that you are witnessing.

there was no visible finish on this, it had been stripped. some patches
were clearly dry plain wood.

Several months ago I was doing a lot of sanding to remove glue from
drawer joints which alsp had protruding domino tenons that needed to be
sanded flush. There was basically no way to scrape off the excess glue.
I was having to change my paper for each drawer and I had about 12
drawers to sand. I changed paper after the second drawer and that third
piece of paper very successfully completed the remaining 10 drawers with
no more paper changes.

Had tried more than one kind, but it's good to hear some last longer
than one drawer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/27/2011 7:46 AM, Contrarian wrote:
[...]

Consider also that a piece of sand paper in a sander can have a
reasonable life expectancy of 5~10 minutes.

Still if you have paper that is guming up that typically is not caused
by sanding dust alone unless you are working on a very oily wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Contrarian typed:
Is there any rule of thumb for estimating how much
sandpaper is needed for say, a 1 sq. yard of surface?

Am refinishing a salvaged/gift table, and it is taking
more than I thought. For one thing the sandpaper gums up
with little clots all the time.

TIA

Depends; there are lots of kinds of sandpaper for different uses. You're
either doing it wrong or using the wrong paper. READ the USES on the ads &
jackets.