Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Labeling Shop Cabinets?

I have quite a few cabinets in my garage shop, and have recently been
adding more (all made of wood). While I love the organization and keeping
dust out of things, it is often difficult to remember what is stored in
every cabinet and drawer in my shop. Especially if my wife needs to go get
something in the shop and has to look through every cabinet to find it.

So, I am looking at options for adding labels to the cabinets and drawers
so I can identify the contents. Obviously, I need an option that I can
change easily as I reorganize from time to time. I also want to be able to
print the labels on my laser printer, as my penmanship is horrible.

I could always go with the traditional screw on metal holders that you slip
the name cards into. But, they're fairly expensive when you need a lot of
them.

I have also seen plastic adhesive label holders at office supply stores.
You stick them to the cabinet, then slip the label into the holder. Not too
bad on cost, but not necessarily attractive either.

Another option I have used elsewhere in my shop are adhesive backed
magnetic business cards. I print my labels on the laser printer, then
stick them to the business card magnets. I usually make the label slightly
smaller than the business cards and cut them to size with scissors.
Obviously, these stick directly to metal tool cabinets. For non-metallic
boxes I simply use two magnets. I stick one blank magnet to the box, then
my magnetic label sticks to that magnet. I can easily move or change
labels when needed.

Barring any better solution, I will probably go with my magnetic business
card method, as it has worked well for me. But I thought I would see what
options others are using.

Thanks,

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 16, 11:01*am, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

Blue painter's tape and a black Sharpie. It's even easier to change.
Cut the pieces with a scissors - then it'll look professional.

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"RicodJour" wrote in message
[...]

I use a Brother P-Touch label maker for many uses including the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 11:36:06 -0400, "EXT" wrote:

"RicodJour" wrote in message
[...]

That's what I was thinking (I have the equivalent Dymo). The plastic tape
comes off easily and cleanly. Paper would likely turn into a mess after some
time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:01:09 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

[...]

That'll work. Or try inlaying pieces of whiteboard so you can mark
your bins and easily erase it. I like your magnetic idea, though.

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote in
:

On Sep 16, 11:01*am, HerHusband wrote:

*trim*
Barring any better solution, I will probably go with my magnetic
business card method, as it has worked well for me. But I thought I
would see what options others are using.

Blue painter's tape and a black Sharpie. It's even easier to change.
Cut the pieces with a scissors - then it'll look professional.

If you use those crafty scissors that do patterns, it'll look like it has
a "woman's touch." ;-)

I'm a tape and sharpie guy myself. The magnet idea does sound neat, and
you can use anything iron or steel to attach the magnet to instead of
another magnet. Screw heads, washers, or even sheet steel cut to size
should work.

If you want to get fancy, recess the steel and then cover the drawer with
a thin veneer. As long as the magnet's strong enough, it'll look like
it's stuck to the wood.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/16/2011 10:01 AM, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

A picture is worth a thousand words/labels. Take a picture of the
contents, print it, and hang it on the door.

Also helps "her" remember exactly where thing go when she is done. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:
[...]

If you are into magnetism, you can buy a pack of "magnetic printer
paper" at the office supply place. This stuff is about as thick as a
business card or maybe a little thicker. It was apparently designed
to print pictures on to have an instant refrigerator picture. My son
sent me some and my wife loves it. But you would have to use an inkjet
of some sort instead of a laser-jet.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Let X = 42

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've actually used tape-and-Sharpie a lot (the frosty
tape is easiest to remove), but for a visible label
it's hard to beat laserprinted black on white paper,
then stick it up with double-sticky tape.
Or cover with a strip of clear packaging tape (beware
this may harm paint and age badly).

If you can laser-print onto card stock, so much the better.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Label each cabinet with letter or number or give the cabinet a name.

Then create a text document on your computer with an appropriately sizes
font.

Then list the contents of the cabinet, one page per cabinet.
To get real fancy, create a table with a row for each shelf in the
cabinet and list the contents of this shelf. As someone else suggested
take a photo of the interior and include on the page.

Print the page and tape it to the door of the cabinet.

Then when you move things around it will be a simple matter to edit
the appropriate pages with the changes.

Marty

On 9/16/2011 11:01 AM, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

Thanksbr

Marty Kovacsbr
br
br
"The US seems to be trying to stop thebr
last event after it has already happened."br
br
Arthur Hulnick, Former Intelligence Officerbr

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/16/11 3:13 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:
If you are into magnetism, you can buy a pack of "magnetic printer
paper" at the office supply place. This stuff is about as thick as a
business card or maybe a little thicker. It was apparently designed to
print pictures on to have an instant refrigerator picture. My son sent
me some and my wife loves it. But you would have to use an inkjet of
some sort instead of a laser-jet.

Ooooo, off to OfficeMax.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:
[...]

Address labels (33 to a sheet) with removable adhesive. These are often used
as price labels for books and the like (that may be given as a gift).

You'll probably have to order them. Staples et al have the same labels with
permanent adhesive, but your best bet is the removable type. You CAN remove
permanent labels if you know the secret: Heat gun or Rubber Cement Thinner
(shhh! don't tell anyone)

We do have uses for the permanent labels. Our bookkeeper has about 150 file
folders for each year. Once put into MS Word, all I have to do is a global
replace on the date (2011 = 2012) and she has a new set.

Posted to rec.woodworking

So, I am looking at options for adding labels to the cabinets and
drawers so I can identify the contents. Obviously, I need an option
that I can change easily as I reorganize from time to time. I also
want to be able to print the labels on my laser printer, as my
penmanship is horrible.

Address labels (33 to a sheet) with removable adhesive. These are
often used as price labels for books and the like (that may be given
as a gift).

Hmm... That might be an idea worth looking into.

I do wonder how well they would hold up over time though (would the
adhesive become "permanent" after a few years stuck to the cabinet?).

Thanks for the suggestion!

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
HerHusband typed:
[...]

I use my color laser printer and whatever label size looks decent for the
application. Easy to read from a distance too. I don't care for magnetics
because I tend to "bounce" things too hard and a lot of them aren't metal
drawers, slides, etc..

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to rec.woodworking

So, I am looking at options for adding labels to the cabinets and
drawers so I can identify the contents. Obviously, I need an option
that I can change easily as I reorganize from time to time. I also
want to be able to print the labels on my laser printer, as my
penmanship is horrible.

If you are into magnetism, you can buy a pack of "magnetic printer
paper" at the office supply place. This stuff is about as thick as a
business card or maybe a little thicker. It was apparently designed
to print pictures on to have an instant refrigerator picture. My son
sent me some and my wife loves it. But you would have to use an inkjet
of some sort instead of a laser-jet.

The business card magnets are basically the same stuff, just cut to the
size of business cards with adhesive on one side. I print my label on a
sheet of paper (laser or inkjet works fine), then peel the strip off the
magnet and stick my paper to it. Cut to size and I have a perfectly sized
magnetic label.

I prefer printing with the laser as the inkjet labels tend to run if my
fingers are wet (I ditched the inkjet a few years ago anyway).

Thanks,

Anthony

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 00:15:18 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:
I do wonder how well they would hold up over time though (would the
adhesive become "permanent" after a few years stuck to the cabinet?).

They work well enough and they're cheap. I use them on my small parts
cabinets. If you're just writing on them with a pen, then it fades
over a few years. I'd suggest printing on them with bolded text and
use a labelling program from one of the popular word processors.
Either that or a marker of some type.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Twayne" wrote in message
In ,
HerHusband typed:
[...]

I use a Brother P touch labeler. It never leaves the shop.
http://tinyurl.com/3gbgzvs

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HerHusband" wrote in message
[...]

Google magnetic paint.. I found some at Home Depot. Mask a spot on the
drawers and use the paint. Then your magnetic card will stick to it. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote in
:

[...]

You may be able to make your own removable card holders without too much
difficulty. There will be 3 pieces, each with a small rabbet in one
corner. There will be two side pieces and one bottom piece, which will
allow you to make the rabbet in one go at the TS or jointer.

Glue to the draw front and add a couple brads until the glue dries.

Were I doing this, I would make the rabbet first then cut and plane the
pieces to size and finally cut to length. If you want to get fancy, you
can miter the corners or do some other interesting corner treatment.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
[...]

I'd forego the tape. By the time he wants to reorganize it will be time to
paint again anyway.

That's assuming he is like me and opens cabinets when fingers are icky with
glue/paint/epoxy/etc

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Another option I have used elsewhere in my shop are
adhesive backed magnetic business cards. I print my
labels on the laser printer, then stick them to the
business card magnets. I usually make the label slightly
smaller than the business cards and cut them to size with
scissors. Obviously, these stick directly to metal tool
cabinets. For non-metallic boxes I simply use two
magnets. I stick one blank magnet to the box, then my
magnetic label sticks to that magnet. I can easily move
or change labels when needed.

I use my color laser printer and whatever label size looks decent for
the application. Easy to read from a distance too. I don't care for
magnetics because I tend to "bounce" things too hard and a lot of them
aren't metal drawers, slides, etc..

I have a color laser also, but regular black text on white labels seems to
be the most readable.

As for the magnetic business cards, they have an adhesive on one side. I
can use that to stick the magnet to anything non-metallic, then my magnetic
label sticks to that magnet. I use this method on parts boxes that get
tossed in the back of the car, slid and bumped around, etc. I have never
had one of the magnetic labels fall off or shift, and yet I can easily take
it off if needed.

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 16, 11:01*am, HerHusband wrote:
I have quite a few cabinets in my garage shop, and have recently been

Not tat tis is a great solution for you, but one I tried and liked for
boxes that hold individual tools.

I build the box, place the tool inside, ten take a picture of it all
nice and nestled where I want it. Then, I print the picture out and
glue it to the outside of the box - coat with sealer. Never have to
guess what's in it then!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 17, 1:38*pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Sep 16, 11:01*am, HerHusband wrote:

I have quite a few cabinets in my garage shop, and have recently been

Not tat tis is a great solution for you, but one I tried and liked for
boxes that hold individual tools.

I build the box, place the tool inside, ten take a picture of it all
nice and nestled where I want it. Then, I print the picture out and
glue it to the outside of the box - coat with sealer. Never have to
guess what's in it then!

That would take me, oh, about two months to do. :/ Building the
boxes...another four.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:
So, I am looking at options for adding labels to the cabinets and
drawers so I can identify the contents. Obviously, I need an option
that I can change easily as I reorganize from time to time. I also
want to be able to print the labels on my laser printer, as my
penmanship is horrible.

Address labels (33 to a sheet) with removable adhesive. These are
often used as price labels for books and the like (that may be given
as a gift).

Hmm... That might be an idea worth looking into.

I do wonder how well they would hold up over time though (would the
adhesive become "permanent" after a few years stuck to the cabinet?).

Thanks for the suggestion!

If the label gets too aggressive, slap another label atop it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote the following:
On Sep 16, 11:01 am, HerHusband wrote:
I have quite a few cabinets in my garage shop, and have recently been

Not tat tis is a great solution for you, but one I tried and liked for
boxes that hold individual tools.

I build the box, place the tool inside, ten take a picture of it all
nice and nestled where I want it. Then, I print the picture out and
glue it to the outside of the box - coat with sealer. Never have to
guess what's in it then!

Most of the fun of finding a tool is pulling out each drawer to see
what's inside.
One of the mysteries of life is looking for a tool unsuccessfully one
time, then when looking for another tool another time, finding the one
you couldn't find the last time.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , willshak@
00hvc.rr.com says...

Hoosierpopi wrote the following:
On Sep 16, 11:01 am, HerHusband wrote:
I have quite a few cabinets in my garage shop, and have recently been

Not tat tis is a great solution for you, but one I tried and liked for
boxes that hold individual tools.

I build the box, place the tool inside, ten take a picture of it all
nice and nestled where I want it. Then, I print the picture out and
glue it to the outside of the box - coat with sealer. Never have to
guess what's in it then!

Most of the fun of finding a tool is pulling out each drawer to see
what's inside.
One of the mysteries of life is looking for a tool unsuccessfully one
time, then when looking for another tool another time, finding the one
you couldn't find the last time.

There's an alternate universe into which such things disappear and from
which they reappear. It's a vagary of quantum fluctuation which
physicists have never been able to characterize.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in
in.local:

In article , willshak@
00hvc.rr.com says...

Most of the fun of finding a tool is pulling out each drawer to see
what's inside.
One of the mysteries of life is looking for a tool unsuccessfully one
time, then when looking for another tool another time, finding the one
you couldn't find the last time.

There's an alternate universe into which such things disappear and from
which they reappear. It's a vagary of quantum fluctuation which
physicists have never been able to characterize.

They're also working on invisibility, but haven't quite got it focused
right. That's why you don't see a tool you're looking right at.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article m,
Puckdropper says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in
in.local:

In article , willshak@
00hvc.rr.com says...

Most of the fun of finding a tool is pulling out each drawer to see
what's inside.
One of the mysteries of life is looking for a tool unsuccessfully one
time, then when looking for another tool another time, finding the one
you couldn't find the last time.

There's an alternate universe into which such things disappear and from
which they reappear. It's a vagary of quantum fluctuation which
physicists have never been able to characterize.

They're also working on invisibility, but haven't quite got it focused
right. That's why you don't see a tool you're looking right at.

Yup.

Cats can sense this--that's why you see them staring at blank walls with
their ears moving back and forth.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in news:4e7581a8$0$3925
:

That's why you don't see a tool you're looking right at.

An ever increasing source of amusement between spouses. DAMHIKT.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
HerHusband wrote:

Barring any better solution, I will probably go with my magnetic
business card method, as it has worked well for me. But I thought I
would see what options others are using.

I'm a tape and sharpie guy myself. The magnet idea does sound neat, and
you can use anything iron or steel to attach the magnet to instead of
another magnet. Screw heads, washers, or even sheet steel cut to size
should work.

If you want to get fancy, recess the steel and then cover the drawer with
a thin veneer. As long as the magnet's strong enough, it'll look like
it's stuck to the wood.

This place looks promising:

http://www.magnatag.com/

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:34:10 -0400, Jack Stein
wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
HerHusband wrote:

Barring any better solution, I will probably go with my magnetic
business card method, as it has worked well for me. But I thought I
would see what options others are using.

I'm a tape and sharpie guy myself. The magnet idea does sound neat, and
you can use anything iron or steel to attach the magnet to instead of
another magnet. Screw heads, washers, or even sheet steel cut to size
should work.

If you want to get fancy, recess the steel and then cover the drawer with
a thin veneer. As long as the magnet's strong enough, it'll look like
it's stuck to the wood.

This place looks promising:

http://www.magnatag.com/

"ONLY" $800 for a giant weekly calendar. thud
After that, I didn't have the heart to search for magnetic tags.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 17, 8:46*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , willshak@
00hvc.rr.com says...

[...]

Ah. So that's why I found socks in the chisel drawer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 16, 11:01*am, HerHusband wrote:

So, I am looking at options for adding labels to the cabinets and drawers
so I can identify the contents. Obviously, I need an option that I can
change easily as I reorganize from time to time. *I also want to be able to
print the labels on my laser printer, as my penmanship is horrible.

Superglue a sample of the contents to the front. The "label" will be
permanent until you need to change it. A smack with a light hammer
will undo the bond.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques has brought this to us :
wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
HerHusband wrote:

Barring any better solution, I will probably go with my magnetic
business card method, as it has worked well for me. But I thought I
would see what options others are using.
I'm a tape and sharpie guy myself. The magnet idea does sound neat, and
you can use anything iron or steel to attach the magnet to instead of
another magnet. Screw heads, washers, or even sheet steel cut to size
should work.

If you want to get fancy, recess the steel and then cover the drawer with
a thin veneer. As long as the magnet's strong enough, it'll look like
it's stuck to the wood.

This place looks promising:

http://www.magnatag.com/

"ONLY" $800 for a giant weekly calendar. thud
After that, I didn't have the heart to search for magnetic tags.

While I accept I am ouside their target market(Australia). Any business
that requires a LogIn for just a look see is not really wanting any
customers.

--
John G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

This place looks promising:

http://www.magnatag.com/

"ONLY" $800 for a giant weekly calendar.thud
After that, I didn't have the heart to search for magnetic tags.

I didn't look at prices, but he was looking for magnetic write on tags,
not a giant calendar. Now you made me spend 10 seconds and go back and
look, and Magnetic write on tags he would be interested in are around 50
cents each.

You could buy 1600 of them for $800.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
This place looks promising:

http://www.magnatag.com/

"ONLY" $800 for a giant weekly calendar. thud
After that, I didn't have the heart to search for magnetic tags.

While I accept I am ouside their target market(Australia). Any business
that requires a LogIn for just a look see is not really wanting any
customers.

I didn't log on and I got a "look see" and a price of around 50 cents a
label. I didn't realize they were in Australia however, but then I
don't have a clue where the guy asking lives either. They could be
neighbors:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

This place looks promising:

http://www.magnatag.com/

"ONLY" $800 for a giant weekly calendar.thud
After that, I didn't have the heart to search for magnetic tags.

I didn't look at prices, but he was looking for magnetic write on tags,
not a giant calendar. Now you made me spend 10 seconds and go back and
look, and Magnetic write on tags he would be interested in are around 50
cents each.

You could buy 1600 of them for $800.

Your GoogleFu is strong on that site. I couldn't find those at all.
The sticker shock couldn't have helped, though.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.