Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Return of the Stanley 271?

While searching, came across this:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....c=Router+Plane

No purchase link unfortunately...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 20:37:15 -0700 (PDT), "William F. Adams
)" wrote:

While searching, came across this:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....c=Router+Plane

No purchase link unfortunately...

Here ya go. Better than new.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...1+router+plane

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....&TYPE=PRODUCT&...

No purchase link unfortunately...

Here ya go. Better than new.http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...1+router+plane

Also a bit more expensive --- found one link which indicates it'd be
$16 or so:

http://www.bosterritter.com/tools/page4.html

(will have to keep that in mind the next time I'm out that way)

The cutter does seem to be available though:

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/12-305-1-02-a-04.html

William
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 06:32:15 -0700 (PDT), "William F. Adams
)" wrote:

)" wrote:
While searching, came across this:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....&TYPE=PRODUCT&...

No purchase link unfortunately...

Here ya go. Better than new.http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...1+router+plane

Also a bit more expensive --- found one link which indicates it'd be
$16 or so:

http://www.bosterritter.com/tools/page4.html

(will have to keep that in mind the next time I'm out that way)

Prices aren't bad at all there, are they?

The cutter does seem to be available though:

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/12-305-1-02-a-04.html

For that price, it's likely a piece of rebar, bent and sharpened.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
While searching, came across this:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....c=Router+Plane

No purchase link unfortunately...

I don't think this ever went away... I've seen them for sale in various
places over the years and I bought mine 6-10 years ago.

They work fine!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 7, 5:07*pm, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
wrote in message

While searching, came across this:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....&TYPE=PRODUCT&...

No purchase link unfortunately...

I don't think this ever went away... I've seen them for sale in various
places over the years and I bought mine 6-10 years ago.

They work fine!

You are shopping at much nicer, much better stocked stores than I am.

Any tips on where to look?

William
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
wrote in message

While searching, came across this:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....&TYPE=PRODUCT&...

No purchase link unfortunately...

I don't think this ever went away... I've seen them for sale in various
places over the years and I bought mine 6-10 years ago.

They work fine!

You are shopping at much nicer, much better stocked stores than I am.

Any tips on where to look?

I see them at my club's woodworking show in Saratoga Springs each year...
but perhaps they are not new ones or are NOS (new old stock)???
http://www.nwawoodworkingshow.org/

Out of curiousity I looked up where and when I got mine. It was from
http://www.mikestools.com in April 2003. I took a look there and didn't find
them and a Google search left me with a bunch of "stuff" to search through.
Perhaps they aren't in current production.

I know Veritas and Lie-Nielson have steel interpretations of the 271 with
the L-N being closer in form to the original. I've seen wooden offerings in
catalogs also.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,41182,48945
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=271

As an aside, this thread may have given me my lecture topic for the 2012
show in Saratoga... I've been puzzled about what to lecture on and routers
may be a good topic. Last year I did scrub planes... Rob Lee from Lee Valley
graciously loaned me some new and some antique scrub planes so I added a
compare and contrast aspect to the presentation.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, in the face of not having time to call Jet during business hours, I
moved the "dial" one number higher... I tested it for a while and it seems
to be working OK. I've got to cut and build 5 more patrol boxes for my sons'
Scout Troop so I'll know soon enough if it's really OK!

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 7, 11:08*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 06:32:15 -0700 (PDT), "William F. Adams

)" wrote:

)" wrote:
While searching, came across this:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....&TYPE=PRODUCT&...

No purchase link unfortunately...

Here ya go. Better than new.http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...1+router+plane

Also a bit more expensive --- found one link which indicates it'd be
$16 or so:

http://www.bosterritter.com/tools/page4.html

(will have to keep that in mind the next time I'm out that way)

Prices aren't bad at all there, are they?

The cutter does seem to be available though:

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/12-305-1-02-a-04.html

For that price, it's likely a piece of rebar, bent and sharpened.

My 40 year old made-in-England 271 holds an edge forever,
decent quality steel. Taking out a heavy shaving gives your
thumbs a workout, not much to grip, but works great if
you only cut a few thou per pass, much easier to sneak
up on a precise depth than a 3 HP plunger. Use an index
card stuck between the workpiece and the base of the router
for a setting gauge.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:31:25 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell
wrote:

On Sep 7, 11:08*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Here ya go. Better than new.http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...1+router+plane

The cutter does seem to be available though:

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/12-305-1-02-a-04.html

For that price, it's likely a piece of rebar, bent and sharpened.

My 40 year old made-in-England 271 holds an edge forever,
decent quality steel.

Yes, back then, they cared. My point was that today, an inexpensive
tool is likely _not_ made of good quality steel and likely isn't
properly hardened and tempered.

Taking out a heavy shaving gives your
thumbs a workout, not much to grip, but works great if

It's also dangerous. The plane accidentally jumps the groove and ends
up on a section you wanted untouched. Now it has nasty gouges in it.
DAMHIKT. BTW, unsharp blades cause the same type of mishap.

you only cut a few thou per pass, much easier to sneak
up on a precise depth than a 3 HP plunger.

I have a dial indicator on my old B&D router, so I -can- change the
depth by a couple thou and -get- it.

Use an index
card stuck between the workpiece and the base of the router
for a setting gauge.

Excellent idea.

--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,

plidoweInformation wanted about Stanley No. 360 miter box and 30" x6"mated Stanley back saw dennis[_2_] Woodworking 0 July 6th 08 05:41 AM
Flow & Return or Return & Flow Centrral Heating Digby UK diy 6 April 23rd 06 03:17 PM
Securing HVAC air-return filters to the return plenum blueman Home Repair 1 October 24th 05 03:46 AM
Stanley 110 AAvK Woodworking 10 January 18th 05 01:03 AM
Stanley 112 and 79 Michael Billings Woodworking 5 November 11th 03 03:11 PM