Posted to rec.woodworking
k k is offline

Default high school projects?

Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class. We have a budget so pine seems to be the only
wood we can afford. I would appreciate any suggestions to keep the
students motivated even if they aren't wood related.
thanks, Kieran
Posted to rec.woodworking

k wrote:
Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class.

What sort of tools are you prepared to arm them with? Have enough
benchtops and safety glasses to go around?

Perhaps you could show them how to use the Google SketchUp program to
design something?

We have a budget so pine seems to be the only
wood we can afford. I would appreciate any suggestions to keep the
students motivated even if they aren't wood related.
thanks, Kieran

Posted to rec.woodworking

How about more details.

How many students?

Any previous experience?

Maybe you could call me.

I can generally find a couple dollars to help kids. We sell tools and
safety glases. Maybe a donation?

Stilts?
popguns such as Cabela's sells?
Maybe some ideas from Junior Achievement?

I have no idea how schools work. if I suggest something inappropriate
please let me know.

Tom Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.
800 346-8274 (toll free)
www.carbideprocessors.com

On Sep 6, 1:47*pm, k wrote:
Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class. *We have a budget so pine seems to be the only
wood we can afford. *I would appreciate any suggestions to keep the
students motivated even if they aren't wood related.
thanks, Kieran

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 6, 1:47*pm, k wrote:
Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class. *We have a budget so pine seems to be the only
wood we can afford. *I would appreciate any suggestions to keep the
students motivated even if they aren't wood related.
thanks, Kieran

If you want to do some hand tool projects some small boxes with hand
cut dovetails is always fun.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 6, 1:47 pm, wrote:
Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class. We have a budget so pine seems to be the only
wood we can afford. I would appreciate any suggestions to keep the
students motivated even if they aren't wood related.
thanks, Kieran

If you want to do some hand tool projects some small boxes with hand
cut dovetails is always fun.

Local cabinet shops may have scrap maple for free, you could make
cutting boards.

Posted to rec.woodworking
k k is offline

More information

HI, I have 22 grade 10 and 18 grade 11 students.
I have experience in most areas
The shop has wood working equipment and a cnc router and 2 metal
lathes.
I am in Alliston Ontario Canada an hour north of Toronto
I may do a pen project on the metal lathe
cnc router corel draw do a sports name or student name
looking for other ideas
the students are 14-16 years old.
I will look into getting donations of maple as suggested.
thanks, electricity project? not house wiring, pnumatics?,
any ideas help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 13:47:12 -0700, k wrote:

Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and 12
manufacturing class. We have a budget so pine seems to be the only wood
we can afford. I would appreciate any suggestions to keep the students
motivated even if they aren't wood related. thanks, Kieran

There's a book called "Making Mechanical Marvels In Wood". See:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...&searchurl=sts
%3Dt%26tn%3DMaking%2BMechanical%2BMarvels%2Bin%2Bw ood%26x%3D0%26y%3D0

Something in there might do the trick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"k" wrote:

More information

HI, I have 22 grade 10 and 18 grade 11 students.
I have experience in most areas
The shop has wood working equipment and a cnc router and 2 metal
lathes.
I am in Alliston Ontario Canada an hour north of Toronto
I may do a pen project on the metal lathe
cnc router corel draw do a sports name or student name
looking for other ideas
the students are 14-16 years old.
I will look into getting donations of maple as suggested.

-------------------------------------
I took a basic course at Cerritos college here in SoCal.

It was amazing how much you learned making a push block.

It looked deceptively simple, but wasn't.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"k" wrote in message
More information

HI, I have 22 grade 10 and 18 grade 11 students.
I have experience in most areas
The shop has wood working equipment and a cnc router and 2 metal
lathes.
I am in Alliston Ontario Canada an hour north of Toronto
I may do a pen project on the metal lathe
cnc router corel draw do a sports name or student name
looking for other ideas
the students are 14-16 years old.
I will look into getting donations of maple as suggested.
thanks, electricity project? not house wiring, pnumatics?,
any ideas help.

Are there any cabinet making shops nearby that may be willing to
donate their scraps &/or cutoffs?

Projects I recall from HS woodshop:
floor & table/desk lamps (electrical too)
chess board
skate board
water skis
blanket chest
bread box
cutting board
spoons
salad tongs
trivet
candle holder
bowls
table
desk
desk organizer/tray
step stool
bird house
clocks
toys
hall/coat tree

Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 11:26:33 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

On Sep 6, 1:47*pm, k wrote:
Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class. *We have a budget so pine seems to be the only
wood we can afford. *I would appreciate any suggestions to keep the
students motivated even if they aren't wood related.
thanks, Kieran

If you want to do some hand tool projects some small boxes with hand
cut dovetails is always fun.

So, how _is_ Doug Stowe, anyway?

Kieran, search Amazon for Doug's books. http://goo.gl/Vw6su

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King

Posted to rec.woodworking

One thing that Dad built for mom years ago were storage boxes.

Room storage - e.g. put root crops in there as freezing them will
cause them to rot. Onions and potatoes and the like.

5 side box - the front has a U cut leaving some on the side and bottom
front - but round the edges so the had is ok. Make them stack-able.

They are handy in the shop holding rope, string.....

Simple joinery, edging...

Pine - Varnish or paint.

Coat racks - turned pegs into a board that mounts between studs.

Martin

On 9/6/2011 3:47 PM, k wrote:
Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class. We have a budget so pine seems to be the only
wood we can afford. I would appreciate any suggestions to keep the
students motivated even if they aren't wood related.
thanks, Kieran

Posted to rec.woodworking

The wood shop teacher at the high school
where I taught electronics - lucked out - a food/drink place
burned down. It was in heavy oak. Most of it was just
smoke or water streaked on the outside. The teacher
cleaned up the boards and began to look for his project
as well as students. He did a fantastic pool table his last
year before retirement. It was well done.

The students learned a lot and helped making parts after
a lesson. Lots of wood for better versions if needed...

See if there is a fire in the area - houses or businesses.

Martin

On 9/7/2011 5:56 PM, k wrote:
More information

HI, I have 22 grade 10 and 18 grade 11 students.
I have experience in most areas
The shop has wood working equipment and a cnc router and 2 metal
lathes.
I am in Alliston Ontario Canada an hour north of Toronto
I may do a pen project on the metal lathe
cnc router corel draw do a sports name or student name
looking for other ideas
the students are 14-16 years old.
I will look into getting donations of maple as suggested.
thanks, electricity project? not house wiring, pnumatics?,
any ideas help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

Bird house/feeder may allow plenty of creativity? Sounds like you may
as well present the students with a list of several choices. It's much
more fun to make something you would like to make, especially if there
is much sanding involved!

I'd avoid the bird house project... just because it's been such a standard
for so long. I wouldn't have felt deprived if I didn't build one in high
school shop.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in news:32a56da8-f27f-42d1-9a09-
:

Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class. We have a budget so pine seems to be the only
wood we can afford. I would appreciate any suggestions to keep the
students motivated even if they aren't wood related.
thanks, Kieran

To keep students motivated, I think a problem solving approach is the best
method. Present a problem and let them solve it. The trick is finding a
project that's easy to build simply but can be taken to reasonable extremes
as creativity and motivation allows.

A guitar stand could be a good choice for some students. It can be easy to
build, but adding details and other useful parts (like pick storage) can be
fun.

Anything the students can race is a fun project. Race cars (CO2 or
pinewood derby style), boats, and even air planes or rockets (way cool!)
could all be good choices.

Bird house/feeder may allow plenty of creativity? Sounds like you may
as well present the students with a list of several choices. It's much
more fun to make something you would like to make, especially if there
is much sanding involved!

For a variation, how about a bat house?

There's a book, "box by box" that presents a range of small boxes from
dead simple to one with a wooden combination lock and another with all
cuts compound angles. Has enough information to make them and some
guidance on how to go about it but it's not at the "for dummies" level.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/8/2011 1:13 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in
:

Bird house/feeder may allow plenty of creativity? Sounds like you may
as well present the students with a list of several choices. It's much
more fun to make something you would like to make, especially if there
is much sanding involved!

I'd avoid the bird house project... just because it's been such a standard
for so long. I wouldn't have felt deprived if I didn't build one in high
school shop.

Puckdropper

I built a bird feeder in high school too. I believe we were given a
choice. Maybe there's a reason its a standard? Birds aren't too
fussy... For a high school project, time is a firm constraint--so what
are ya gonna do?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:47:12 -0700 (PDT), k
wrote:

Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class.

How about a "pointy stick"? I recall seeing a set of free plans
around.

(Where's JOAT when we need him?)

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class.

How about a "pointy stick"? I recall seeing a set of free plans
around.

Oooh NOOOOOO! Think of the _children_! Much, much too dangerous.

(Where's JOAT when we need him?)

Off painting more old tools titty pink, no doubt.

--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class.

How about a "pointy stick"? I recall seeing a set of free plans
around.

Oooh NOOOOOO! Think of the _children_! Much, much too dangerous.

(Where's JOAT when we need him?)

Off painting more old tools titty pink, no doubt.

I thought that was yellow.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 12:28:25 -0700, "Artemus"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class.

How about a "pointy stick"? I recall seeing a set of free plans
around.

Oooh NOOOOOO! Think of the _children_! Much, much too dangerous.

(Where's JOAT when we need him?)

Off painting more old tools titty pink, no doubt.

I thought that was yellow.
Art

Yellow it was:

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...0udgbdFc9A7uFg
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class.

How about a "pointy stick"? I recall seeing a set of free plans
around.

Oooh NOOOOOO! Think of the _children_! Much, much too dangerous.

(Where's JOAT when we need him?)

Off painting more old tools titty pink, no doubt.

I thought that was yellow.

Nope. It was Charlie B's friend who used pink. JOAT was pondering red
or blue, with yellow ruled out (dewally tools). http://goo.gl/k2mXq

--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.
--Steve Bridges as Obama
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class.

How about a "pointy stick"? I recall seeing a set of free plans
around.

Oooh NOOOOOO! Think of the _children_! Much, much too dangerous.

(Where's JOAT when we need him?)

Off painting more old tools titty pink, no doubt.

I thought that was yellow.
Art

Yellow it was:

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...0udgbdFc9A7uFg

Hard to believe that was going on ten years ago!

Remember the guy who made websites available to any one in the wRec who
wanted one?

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"k" wrote in message
Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and
12 manufacturing class. We have a budget so pine seems to be the only
wood we can afford. I would appreciate any suggestions to keep the
students motivated even if they aren't wood related.
thanks, Kieran

Something useful to their parents. My shop class it was student chosen but
directed by the teacher. I got directed to choose a bookcase and my aged
parents finally parted with it some thirty years later. They had good things
to say about the school and about the shop teacher.

Good luck on keeping your classes going. Great to hear that there are still
classes where things get built!

Posted to rec.woodworking

*I've been on vacation, so I'm now catching up on past threads.

I've made projects for donating to various fund raisers in the
community, mostly school fund raisers. In some cases, local
establishments were happy to donate lumber for the fund raiser
projects. As someone said, your local cabinet shops should have some
scrap lumber available to you. Here are a few project ideas. They're
not as difficult as you may assume and many of the curve details/edges
are simply pared down squared edges:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream

These 2 projects have some cosmetic defect on them, so they were never
donated.... yet.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message

*I've been on vacation, so I'm now catching up on past threads.

I've made projects for donating to various fund raisers in the
community, mostly school fund raisers. In some cases, local
establishments were happy to donate lumber for the fund raiser
projects. As someone said, your local cabinet shops should have some
scrap lumber available to you. Here are a few project ideas. They're
not as difficult as you may assume and many of the curve details/edges
are simply pared down squared edges:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream

These 2 projects have some cosmetic defect on them, so they were never
donated.... yet.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream

Sonny

==============

Some nice crafting on those love seat units. Kudos.

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/25/2011 9:46 AM, Sonny wrote:
*I've been on vacation, so I'm now catching up on past threads.

I've made projects for donating to various fund raisers in the
community, mostly school fund raisers. In some cases, local
establishments were happy to donate lumber for the fund raiser
projects. As someone said, your local cabinet shops should have some
scrap lumber available to you. Here are a few project ideas. They're
not as difficult as you may assume and many of the curve details/edges
are simply pared down squared edges:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream

That is one gorgeous rocker Sonny.

Nice flock of pictures, I enjoyed them all... You bin busy.

Looks like you inherited a lumber yard/mill?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Denmark : Call for Phd Admission in Aarhus Graduate School of Science-Scholarships and Fully Funded Projects Rabia Electronics 0 January 2nd 10 10:46 AM
High School Bob La Londe Metalworking 7 July 10th 08 08:11 PM
Printmking For High School J T Woodworking 0 August 2nd 06 07:54 PM
High School In The 1930's (O.T.) KyMike Metalworking 0 December 10th 05 06:29 AM
need help with high school prom props rudyeb Electronics 1 May 16th 05 07:01 PM