Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Inkling. Now THIS excites me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2011 12:14 PM, Robatoy wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

Yeah! Saw that on G+ the other day when all the tech/geek pundits I've
circled were posting it "public".

Very cool ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 10:14:50 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

As all this new technology is appearing, I'm wondering how many old
school real artists we'll lose inthe process? How many painters,
musicians and even woodworkers will vanish?

"Time to build ourselves a new house". "You push the enter key on the
CNC house maker and I'll go get lunch."
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

WACOM has always been innovative. This is great!

--LJ, still fartin' around with an old 6x9" ArtZ.

--
Live Simply. Speak Kindly. Care Deeply. Love Generously.
-- anon
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

WACOM has always been innovative. This is great!

--LJ, still fartin' around with an old 6x9" ArtZ.

--
Live Simply. *Speak Kindly. *Care Deeply. *Love Generously.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- anon

I am on my 3rd Wacom tablet now, always upgrading to
biggerbetterfaster. The current one is the PTK 440. What's exciting
about the Inkling is that it is so small yet gives you an A4 (8.25-
ish x 11-ish) surface, and I hope soon to be bigger as well. Hell, it
almost fits the pocket protector on my shirt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 4, 1:30*pm, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 10:14:50 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

As all this new technology is appearing, I'm wondering how many old
school real artists we'll lose inthe process? How many painters,
musicians and even woodworkers will vanish?

"Time to build ourselves a new house". "You push the enter key on the
CNC house maker and I'll go get lunch."

No threat to the artist, IMNSHO. You still need to have vision and an
ability to put that down on paper. These tools do not conceptualize
for you.
Case in point: a local, and very successful contractor had bought this
exquisite piece of lakefront property near here, and had asked a
couple of his architect friends to give him a basic layout for a good
sized mansion for himself. Nothing 'clicked' and many proposals were
done in ArchiCAD and AutoCAD... Then an architect for whom I had done
some computerized 3D modelling in the past, met me and the contractor
at the site and with a 2B pencil sketched a house on a 11 x 17 piece
of vellum. 30 minutes max.... the contractor fell in love with what he
saw and ordered the plans.
Price? 10% of the total cost of building. When he was sketching, he
was taking advantage of the natural ravine edge and knew there was a
lot of rock base, so in the end, the contractor still came out ahead
in total cost as well.

Moral of the story: the high-tech architects didn't understand the
contractor and didn't have the vision. Now, take an architect that has
vision and communication skills...add high tech gear and you have a
powerful package....assuming they don't get bogged down with
SketchUp.

g.d.&r..told you I was back....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2011 1:19 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Moral of the story: the high-tech architects didn't understand the
contractor and didn't have the vision. Now, take an architect that has
vision and communication skills...add high tech gear and you have a
powerful package....assuming they don't get bogged down with
SketchUp.

And, the architect, in his first effort, would have most often designed
something that had to be "field engineered" to completion, particularly
if is not a square boxlike structure.

The third iteration is generally the one that causes the least trouble
with both build and budget.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 10:55:43 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

WACOM has always been innovative. This is great!

--LJ, still fartin' around with an old 6x9" ArtZ.

--
Live Simply. *Speak Kindly. *Care Deeply. *Love Generously.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- anon

I am on my 3rd Wacom tablet now, always upgrading to
biggerbetterfaster. The current one is the PTK 440. What's exciting
about the Inkling is that it is so small yet gives you an A4 (8.25-
ish x 11-ish) surface, and I hope soon to be bigger as well. Hell, it
almost fits the pocket protector on my shirt.

It fits, with all of Angie's Angry Birds in there already? You have a
large size pocket protector, son.

--
Live Simply. Speak Kindly. Care Deeply. Love Generously.
-- anon
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 4, 6:30*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 10:55:43 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:

wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

WACOM has always been innovative. This is great!

--LJ, still fartin' around with an old 6x9" ArtZ.

--
Live Simply. *Speak Kindly. *Care Deeply. *Love Generously.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- anon

I am on my 3rd Wacom tablet now, always upgrading to
biggerbetterfaster. The current one is the PTK 440. What's exciting
about the Inkling is that it is so small yet gives you an A4 (8.25-
ish *x 11-ish) surface, and I hope soon to be bigger as well. Hell, it
almost fits the pocket protector on my shirt.

It fits, with all of Angie's Angry Birds in there already? *You have a
large size pocket protector, son.

--
Live Simply. *Speak Kindly. *Care Deeply. *Love Generously.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- anon

The Inkling Dimensions 2.8 in. (L) x 1.26 in. (D) x 0.67 in plus the
pen. Easily fits in a pocket protector.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2011 12:14 PM, Robatoy wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

That is pretty cool and for some reason the video appears to be of a new
product. But I bought one of those for my son several years ago for
Christmas. He never really used it much but IIRC the pen stored the
information and it would then down up load to a computer. Back when I
was doing research some of those type pens needed special lined/graphed
paper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-09-04 13:14:50 -0400, Robatoy said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

Dunno -- I'd have to see it hands-on.

Back in the day (20 or so years ago), Adobe had a wonderful little
product called Streamline. Scan in line art, load the scan into
Streamline, set your parameters, let 'er go. You had vector art created
from a raster scan file, ready for further processing in Illustrator or
(gasp!) Freehand. Inkling looks like the same idea, just skipping the
scan. And it uses natural media (er, paper...).You can draw on a
tablet, but it doesn't feel the same.*

Adobe later rolled the Streamline technology into Illustrator, but,
like the standalone 3-D vector generator subsumed into Illustrator, it
was just never as good as the original.

And don't get me started on that Flash crap.

*(Hey, you kids get off my lawn!)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-09-04 13:14:50 -0400, Robatoy said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

Dunno -- I'd have to see it hands-on.

Back in the day (20 or so years ago), Adobe had a wonderful little
product called Streamline. Scan in line art, load the scan into
Streamline, set your parameters, let 'er go. You had vector art created
from a raster scan file, ready for further processing in Illustrator or
(gasp!) Freehand. Inkling looks like the same idea, just skipping the
scan. And it uses natural media (er, paper...).You can draw on a
tablet, but it doesn't feel the same.*

Adobe later rolled the Streamline technology into Illustrator, but,
like the standalone 3-D vector generator subsumed into Illustrator, it
was just never as good as the original.

And don't get me started on that Flash crap.

*(Hey, you kids get off my lawn!)

LOL. I guess I'm a lot like that too. I used Streamline a LOT. It was/
is a great program.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 11:19:48 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
No threat to the artist, IMNSHO. You still need to have vision and an
ability to put that down on paper. These tools do not conceptualize
for you.

Understand what you're saying, just not sure I agree with all of it.
At the young age of 57, I have enough experience behind me to have
developed practical skills that completely predate the digital
revolution. Take writing for example. I now use a computer so much
that I sometimes have difficulty writing things. More often or not,
I'd print. The only real writing experience I get lately is signing my
name on something and I've even screwed that up sometimes.

If that's happening to me, what kind of artistry experience are the
digital age students going to get. Sure, there's always going to be
some that continue the basic skills, but I'm betting they are starting
to thin out.

g.d.&r..told you I was back....

Knew without a doubt you wouldn't be gone for long. This place is a
second home for you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 00:00:16 -0400, Steve

On 2011-09-04 13:14:50 -0400, Robatoy said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

Dunno -- I'd have to see it hands-on.

Back in the day (20 or so years ago), Adobe had a wonderful little
product called Streamline. Scan in line art, load the scan into
Streamline, set your parameters, let 'er go. You had vector art created

I seem to recall a Corel product called Trace, back when I used v3. I
never got it to work all that well for me.

--
Live Simply. Speak Kindly. Care Deeply. Love Generously.
-- anon
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-09-04 13:14:50 -0400, Robatoy said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

Dunno -- I'd have to see it hands-on.

Back in the day (20 or so years ago), Adobe had a wonderful little
product called Streamline. Scan in line art, load the scan into
Streamline, set your parameters, let 'er go. You had vector art
created

I seem to recall a Corel product called Trace, back when I used v3. I
never got it to work all that well for me.

3.1 was very primitive, using X3 now and it works very well

--
PV

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your
Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-09-04 13:14:50 -0400, Robatoy said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

Dunno -- I'd have to see it hands-on.

Back in the day (20 or so years ago), Adobe had a wonderful little
product called Streamline. Scan in line art, load the scan into
Streamline, set your parameters, let 'er go. You had vector art
created

I seem to recall a Corel product called Trace, back when I used v3. I
never got it to work all that well for me.

3.1 was very primitive, using X3 now and it works very well

I picked up X5 (and a 3rd party manual) recently and will be trying it
again. Unfortunately, neither of my scanners works under Win7 and no
new drivers are available for them. sigh