Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pretty wood

There have been several L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd
start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant,
discuss, etc. at great length

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?
___________

MY THOUGHTS

A lot of you seem to favor cherry but it leaves me cold. Nothing wrong with
it, just doesn't grab me.

Neither does maple except for curly or birdseye.

Oak - white oak - is one of my favorites...hard, strong, works easily but I
would never call it pretty. Not even with a flake figure.

Hickory is nice, rather like it.

Birch isn't in the running, neither is beech.

Walnut is a different story...works nicely, nice color, interesting grain
but not much figure. It would be my nomination for domestic wood.
_____________

I haven't used a lot of imports...mahogany, khaya, makore, utile, nogal,
Phillipine mahogany, maybe 2-3 more.

Nogal (Peruvian walnut) isn't as attractive as black walnut and is softer
but it can be very dark, almost black. Handy sometimes.

I wouldn't characterize either makore or utile - especially utile - as very
attractive but they aren't bad looking.

I think Phillipine mahogany is way under rated. Some of them are very nice.
Even rotary cut luan ply is useful...very plain grain which I prefer in
large expanses to things like Brazilian rosewood. Not too many years ago
there were acres and acres of Brazilian rosewood ply covering lobbies, board
rooms, elevators and meeting rooms. Used to make my head spin.

Both mahogany and khaya are nice, among my favorites (sapele too) but my
pick for prettiest wood is koa.

Wonderful and varied color, looks like mahogany on steroids. Used to be that
it was easy to get highly figured boards too but nowadays they are all
picked over by large shops before the boards ever see the light of retail
day. Biggest problem with koa is the price...now $45+- per board foot. I
used to get it for $0.50 sigh when walnut and teak were in the $1.25 -
1.35 range.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
There have been several L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd
start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant,
discuss, etc. at great length

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?
___________

snip

Heart sweetgum (domestic) is hard to beat and easy to turn.
--
Gerald Ross

If the shoe fits, put it in your mouth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2011 1:12 PM, dadiOH wrote:
There have been several L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd
start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant,
discuss, etc. at great length

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?
___________

MY THOUGHTS

For domestic, USA, Mesquite, wish I could afford the big pieces.
Followed by Walnut, White Oak.

Favorite import,

Zircote,

http://www.rosewoodarchery.com/images/200zircote.jpg

Bocote,

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-...dwoods/bocote/

Wenge

http://www.pawbrandflooring.com/Afri...open-grain.asp

Zebra,

http://www.nitsugamangore.com/zebraw...ar-guitar.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:12:49 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

There have been several L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd
start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant,
discuss, etc. at great length

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?

Cocobolo is one of my favorites.

http://www.advantagelumber.com/cocobolo.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2011 1:12 PM, dadiOH wrote:
There have been several L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd
start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant,
discuss, etc. at great length

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?

My favorite wood (regardless of imported vs. domestic) is Mesquite. Beautiful
color, beautiful figure, strong, stable, hard (but not too hard), and a joy to
work with tools, both hand and power. The only downside (IMO) is that the
trees are so scraggly it's hard to find good clear lumber in usable sizes at a
decent price.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2011 4:16 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

My favorite wood (regardless of imported vs. domestic) is Mesquite.
Beautiful color, beautiful figure, strong, stable, hard (but not too
hard), and a joy to work with tools, both hand and power. The only
downside (IMO) is that the trees are so scraggly it's hard to find good
clear lumber in usable sizes at a decent price.

.... and you can't beat the scraps for cooking a steak.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

If we're allowed to get a little crazy here ... I built a dash for an AC
Cobra, and used Etimoe ... it looks GREAT !!!

--
"If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you're not a racist you'll
have to vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not stupid!"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:11:06 -0400, Gerald Ross
wrote:

dadiOH wrote:
There have been several L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd
start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant,
discuss, etc. at great length

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?
___________

snip

Heart sweetgum (domestic) is hard to beat and easy to turn.

If you have insurance and want to take it. I have a large sweetgum in
my Grants Pass, OR front yard and would like it removed. Free to
insured party. Must take all. (Roots, too!) Want the maple and the
redwood and a doug fir, too? Take 'em!

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2011 4:16 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 8/16/2011 1:12 PM, dadiOH wrote:
There have been several L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd
start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant,
discuss, etc. at great length

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?

My favorite wood (regardless of imported vs. domestic) is Mesquite.
Beautiful color, beautiful figure, strong, stable, hard (but not too
hard), and a joy to work with tools, both hand and power. The only
downside (IMO) is that the trees are so scraggly it's hard to find good
clear lumber in usable sizes at a decent price.

My grandmother, aunts and uncles lived about 50 miles south of San
Antonio back when I was a kid. The highway between SA and Charlotte Tx
was littered with huge Mesquite trees. I remember the trunks being 2-3
feet in diameter and 20-25 feet tall. My uncle raised cattle and
obviously had a lot of pasture covered with mesquite trees. We would
cut them down and use the limbs for fire wood and or to BBQ. I have a
chunk of Mesquite that is about 18" long x3x3 that I salvaged out of one
of the limbs, 25-30 years ago. Still waiting for the perfect
project.... Maybe I'll cut it into veneers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "dadiOH" wrote:
There have been several L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd
start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant,
discuss, etc. at great length

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?

I don't think I could narrow it down to just one... for domestic woods, my top
favorites, in no particular order, are curly cherry, curly maple, quartersawn
sycamore, and quartersawn beech.

I've not used enough imported woods to have much of an opinion there, but I
sure do like the look of true mahogany.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
[...]

I like Poplar. Stains nice. Easy to work. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Quarter sawn White Oak, Hondouras Mahogany and quality teak.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/16/2011 1:12 PM, dadiOH wrote:
There have been several L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd
start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant,
discuss, etc. at great length

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?

I think I have to make the choice dependent on the use--some just are
"the cat's meow" for one item but totally wrong for another...

To the question as asked as to "pretty", I'd probably have to go to the
rosewoods as most striking w/ the Honduran mahogany as the ideal cabinet
wood for the non-domestics.

For US domestics, that's a little more difficult altho it's hard to beat
butternut on one hand but old salvage chestnut is another outstanding
choice...the other of my favorites would be the Claro walnut followed by
black walnut...

In it's place, white oak is so striking...there, we're back to what the
use is matters...

Like someone else already said, don't think I can have just one...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-08-16 14:12:49 -0400, "dadiOH" said:

Walnut is a different story...works nicely, nice color, interesting
grain but not much figure. It would be my nomination for domestic wood.

Personally, walnut is my favorite, too.

Except when I'm working with Cherry. Then that's my favorite.

Except when I'm working with Maple. Then that's my favorite.

Except when I'm working with Oak. Then that's, oh, wait a minute! I
really don't care much for Oak.

Seriously, I do love walnut. (http://tinyurl.com/4ygdgy2) And cherry,
and maple...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

dadiOH wrote:
There have been several L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd
start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant,
discuss, etc. at great length

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?
___________

snip

Heart sweetgum (domestic) is hard to beat and easy to turn.

If you have insurance and want to take it. I have a large sweetgum in
my Grants Pass, OR front yard and would like it removed. Free to
insured party. Must take all. (Roots, too!) Want the maple and the
redwood and a doug fir, too? Take 'em!

Thanks! But I get all that I can use from the local tree cutters.
Either cut to length and loaded on my truck or delivered next to my shop.
--
Gerald Ross

If the shoe fits, put it in your mouth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 16, 2:12*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
[...]

Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

If there had to be just one? Cherry.
I like Purple Heart and Padouk.

But the most incredible wood I have ever seen was the back of a 1957
Gibson where the birds eye maple looked like pearls floating in liquid
diamonds. I will never forget that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
[...]

For turning I find it hard to beat California Manzanita, outstanding
colors and grain, not very large in size.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2011 4:38 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/16/2011 4:16 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

My favorite wood (regardless of imported vs. domestic) is Mesquite.
Beautiful color, beautiful figure, strong, stable, hard (but not too
hard), and a joy to work with tools, both hand and power. The only
downside (IMO) is that the trees are so scraggly it's hard to find good
clear lumber in usable sizes at a decent price.

... and you can't beat the scraps for cooking a steak.

And there's that too!

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 20:14:50 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 8/16/2011 1:12 PM, dadiOH wrote:
There have been several L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd
start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant,
discuss, etc. at great length

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?

I think I have to make the choice dependent on the use--some just are
"the cat's meow" for one item but totally wrong for another...

To the question as asked as to "pretty", I'd probably have to go to the
rosewoods as most striking

Yes, I love dark woods like rosewood, walnut, jarrah, and bokote. I
put down a little entryway in Jatoba and like it a lot, too.

w/ the Honduran mahogany as the ideal cabinet
wood for the non-domestics.

Agreed, and Honduran mahogany carves nicely, too.

For US domestics, that's a little more difficult altho it's hard to beat
butternut on one hand but old salvage chestnut is another outstanding
choice...the other of my favorites would be the Claro walnut followed by
black walnut...

I haven't seen any claro walnut in local wood yards. What's so special
about it as opposed to black walnut? Juglans hindsii and nigra look
awfully similar in these pics. Same shade, similar figure.

http://www.gilmerwood.com/search_res...s=black+walnut
http://www.gilmerwood.com/search_res...eywords=walnut

In it's place, white oak is so striking...there, we're back to what the
use is matters...

Absolutely! QSWO is a dream.

Like someone else already said, don't think I can have just one...

What really irks me is to see someone mix quilted maple, birdseye
maple, and some other extremely figured wood so there is no mellow
place on the piece. Everything fights for your eye. It's overkill and
it's downright UGLY! I prefer a basic box with a really nicely
figured top, or even a figured inset in a plain top. Classy.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2011 7:22 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I know the feeling. I have some pieces that have been lying around here for
probably 10 years that I'm still trying to figure how to best use them. Sounds
like veneers would be a good choice for yours. Fire up the Laguna!

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:35:32 -0400, Steve

On 2011-08-16 14:12:49 -0400, "dadiOH" said:

Walnut is a different story...works nicely, nice color, interesting
grain but not much figure. It would be my nomination for domestic wood.

Personally, walnut is my favorite, too.

Except when I'm working with Cherry. Then that's my favorite.

Except when I'm working with Maple. Then that's my favorite.

Except when I'm working with Oak. Then that's, oh, wait a minute! I
really don't care much for Oak.

Seriously, I do love walnut. (http://tinyurl.com/4ygdgy2) And cherry,
and maple...

g Um, couldn't you have made those bowties a BIT more gaudy?
Saaay, is that balsa?

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/16/2011 10:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I haven't seen any claro walnut in local wood yards. What's so special
about it as opposed to black walnut? Juglans hindsii and nigra look
awfully similar in these pics. Same shade, similar figure.

In pictures, often does look almost indistinguishable...in hand, not so
much.

"Claro" is fairly recent moniker; the CA genus that is not a hybrid w/
eastern black is generally somewhat lighter and has a clarity of grain
that is just, somehow, different altho I don't know any way to verbalize
it--you just have to see it in person to appreciate the difference I think.

Note there's nothing at all "wrong" w/ Eastern black walnut nor any
intent to imply same; they're just subtly different.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-08-16 14:12:49 -0400, "dadiOH" said:

Walnut is a different story...works nicely, nice color, interesting
grain but not much figure. It would be my nomination for domestic wood.

Personally, walnut is my favorite, too.

Except when I'm working with Cherry. Then that's my favorite.

Except when I'm working with Maple. Then that's my favorite.

Except when I'm working with Oak. Then that's, oh, wait a minute! I
really don't care much for Oak.

Seriously, I do love walnut. (http://tinyurl.com/4ygdgy2) And cherry,
and maple...

Ever work with MDF? LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2011 9:27 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 16, 2:12 pm, wrote:
[...]

LP/cassette and tips& tricks on this and that.
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

If there had to be just one? Cherry.
I like Purple Heart and Padouk.

But the most incredible wood I have ever seen was the back of a 1957
Gibson where the birds eye maple looked like pearls floating in liquid
diamonds. I will never forget that.

Good trip? It was the druuugs... , mon

Posted to rec.woodworking

I haven't seen any claro walnut in local wood yards. What's so special
about it as opposed to black walnut? *Juglans hindsii and nigra look
awfully similar in these pics. *Same shade, similar figure.

This might help. Page down to Claro Walnut:
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...al.htm#letterC

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 17, 7:29*am, Sonny wrote:
I haven't seen any claro walnut in local wood yards. What's so special
about it as opposed to black walnut? *Juglans hindsii and nigra look
awfully similar in these pics. *Same shade, similar figure.

This might help. Page down to Claro Walnut:http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...al.htm#letterC

Sonny

Click onto the pic for more pics

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/17/2011 7:29 AM, Sonny wrote:

I haven't seen any claro walnut in local wood yards. What's so special
about it as opposed to black walnut? Juglans hindsii and nigra look
awfully similar in these pics. Same shade, similar figure.

This might help. Page down to Claro Walnut:
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...al.htm#letterC

Sonny

Page down to Walnut, Claro
Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

On 8/16/2011 1:12 PM, dadiOH wrote:
There have been several L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd
start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant,
discuss, etc. at great length

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?
___________

Both mahogany and khaya are nice, among my favorites (sapele too) but my
pick for prettiest wood is koa.

Wonderful and varied color, looks like mahogany on steroids. Used to be that
it was easy to get highly figured boards too but nowadays they are all
picked over by large shops before the boards ever see the light of retail
day. Biggest problem with koa is the price...now $45+- per board foot. I
used to get it for $0.50sigh when walnut and teak were in the $1.25 -
1.35 range.

I have no idea what sort of wood Tamarack is and to be honest I really
don't care. It is the favorite firewood of most around here, kind of a
shame. I got over a thousand board feet of it from a nearby sawmill
for fifty cents a board foot. It's not easy to work with but the
finished product is worth the trouble.

This is a Murphy bed finished in clear urethane

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/Murphy1.jpg

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/Murphy2.jpg

Cupboards stained and clear urethane

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/cupboards3.jpg

I used the Tamarack for wainscoting throughout the house. It's
finished like the Murphy bed.

LdB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/17/2011 10:07 AM, LdB wrote:
[...]

it's a larch. looks a lot like hickory though
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 16, 2:12*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?

Figured North American maple, dyed with Transtint, your
choice of color. Looks like marble more than wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

There have been several *L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd
start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant,
discuss, etc. at great length *

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?

Cocobolo is one of my favorites.

http://www.advantagelumber.com/cocobolo.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I'm with Nova on this one. Although I saw a lot of other drool-worthy
woods in my Central American travels.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

There have been several L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd
start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant,
discuss, etc. at great length

What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported?

Cocobolo is one of my favorites.

http://www.advantagelumber.com/cocobolo.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I'm with Nova on this one. Although I saw a lot of other drool-worthy
woods in my Central American travels.

Luigi

About 25 years ago I built a cocobolo and padauk coffee table. A couple
of years ago I dismantled it and resurface the top. The link is to the
freshly drum sanded top.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...in/photostream

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

About 25 years ago I built a cocobolo and padauk coffee table. A
couple of years ago I dismantled it and resurface the top. The link
is to the freshly drum sanded top.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...in/photostream

Gotta love those drum sanders

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have some veneer Etimoe, I have been waiting for the right project.
That dash must be beautiful. It is so wild, and tame at the same time.
I love the chatoyance .... AWESOME.... I was trying to think what my
favorite would be, when you reminded me how much I am enamored of this
grain.

On 8/16/2011 6:49 PM, "__ Bøb __" wrote:

If we're allowed to get a little crazy here ... I built a dash for an AC
Cobra, and used Etimoe ... it looks GREAT !!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

snip
About 25 years ago I built a cocobolo and padauk coffee table. A couple
of years ago I dismantled it and resurface the top. The link is to the
freshly drum sanded top.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...in/photostream

Oooh, pretty, pretty!