Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stabilizing wood blocks

I bought another block of Paduk at Rocklers today, and it just had the ends
covered in wax. Just wondering how long to let it just sit to slowly dry out
and stabilize? Can't remember if I asked this question before, so apologize
if this is a repeat. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/2/2011 2:33 AM, Paul wrote:
I bought another block of Paduk at Rocklers today, and it just had the
ends covered in wax. Just wondering how long to let it just sit to
slowly dry out and stabilize? Can't remember if I asked this question
before, so apologize if this is a repeat. Thanks.

Rule of thumb, 1 year per inch of thickness.
Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul O.
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 8/2/2011 2:33 AM, Paul wrote:
I bought another block of Paduk at Rocklers today, and it just had the
ends covered in wax. Just wondering how long to let it just sit to
slowly dry out and stabilize? Can't remember if I asked this question
before, so apologize if this is a repeat. Thanks.

Rule of thumb, 1 year per inch of thickness.

Wow! That's two years, that ain't gonna work. I don't know how well an
applied finish seals wood, but what's the chances of the block developing
cracks after a finish is applied? If I make something from a block, and sell
it, I certainaly don't want it developing cracks at some point.

Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/2/2011 2:33 AM, Paul wrote:
I bought another block of Paduk at Rocklers today, and it just had the ends
covered in wax. Just wondering how long to let it just sit to slowly dry out
and stabilize? Can't remember if I asked this question before, so apologize if
this is a repeat. Thanks.

Why wouldn't a block of wood purchased at Rockler's already have been kiln
dried? It was purposely sold as unseasoned wood? Quite possible I guess if it
was specifically for turning; I'm not much of a turner (despite my name) but I
know that turning green wood is pretty common. But if you need it to be dry
you probably should have bought it that way; I see from your other post that
air drying it will take two years... :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

If it is still wet, turn it roughly to size.
let it dry in a bed of saw dust, then finish turning it.
It should be fine, and not check.
The saw dust sucks out the moisture but also prevents checking since it
equalizes the outer wood. When air drying the outer dries to fast..
if it's a vase make sure you stuff saw dust inside, and change it weekly
and rotate it. a couple of weeks and you can finish turn it.

On 8/2/2011 3:33 AM, Paul wrote:
I bought another block of Paduk at Rocklers today, and it just had the
ends covered in wax. Just wondering how long to let it just sit to
slowly dry out and stabilize? Can't remember if I asked this question
before, so apologize if this is a repeat. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/2/2011 2:33 AM, Paul wrote:
I bought another block of Paduk at Rocklers today, and it just had the
ends covered in wax. Just wondering how long to let it just sit to
slowly dry out and stabilize? Can't remember if I asked this question
before, so apologize if this is a repeat. Thanks.

Rule of thumb, 1 year per inch of thickness.

Wow! That's two years, that ain't gonna work. I don't know how well an
applied finish seals wood, but what's the chances of the block
developing cracks after a finish is applied? If I make something from a
block, and sell it, I certainaly don't want it developing cracks at some
point.

Paul O.

To tell you the truth, I have never had a problem with removing the wax
and turning it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul O.
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
On 8/2/2011 2:33 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

I wish I knew where to get blocks that are dried.

Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul O.

On 8/2/2011 3:33 AM, Paul wrote:
I bought another block of Paduk at Rocklers today, and it just had the
ends covered in wax. Just wondering how long to let it just sit to
slowly dry out and stabilize? Can't remember if I asked this question
before, so apologize if this is a repeat. Thanks.

I don't use these blocks for turning, but for making other items, but I
guess that process would be the same for my purposes.

Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul wrote:

What size blocks, and would another kind of wood work?

--
Gerald Ross

Tis better to light a flame thrower
than to curse the darkness.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul O.
"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
Paul wrote:

What size blocks, and would another kind of wood work?

--
Gerald Ross

Tis better to light a flame thrower
than to curse the darkness.

About 4" sq. X 2" thick. Making desk organizers for various objects.

Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 19:10:07 -0700, "Paul" wrote:
About 4" sq. X 2" thick. Making desk organizers for various objects.

Not very big. Perhaps you might build yourself a small kiln and
greatly reduce the drying time?

http://www.handspiral.com/kiln_vent.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 07:16:50 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
m...
On 8/2/2011 2:33 AM, Paul wrote:
I bought another block of Paduk at Rocklers today, and it just had the
ends covered in wax. Just wondering how long to let it just sit to
slowly dry out and stabilize? Can't remember if I asked this question
before, so apologize if this is a repeat. Thanks.

Rule of thumb, 1 year per inch of thickness.

Wow! That's two years, that ain't gonna work. I don't know how well an
applied finish seals wood, but what's the chances of the block developing
cracks after a finish is applied? If I make something from a block, and sell
it, I certainaly don't want it developing cracks at some point.

Ask your local dealer how dry those particular blocks are.

BTW, what are you doing with these?

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai
Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought another block of Paduk at Rocklers today, and it just had the
ends covered in wax. Just wondering how long to let it just sit to
slowly dry out and stabilize? Can't remember if I asked this question
before, so apologize if this is a repeat. Thanks.

Rule of thumb, 1 year per inch of thickness.

Have drying it in the microwave?
That would speed things up considerably.
Maybe 30 seconds on high, then 10 minutes or longer outside.
Maybe others here have tried it and can give better advice.

Source for wood blocks Paul[_20_] Woodworking 2 August 5th 11 12:29 AM
INSPIRATION - Toy Wood Blocks J T Woodworking 0 October 19th 07 05:22 AM
Wood for kids blocks Al Woodworking 25 December 25th 05 06:16 AM
wood stabilizing using acrylic resin ?? Sam Woodworking 2 November 1st 05 01:08 PM
stabilizing wood Kevin Cleary Woodturning 3 March 15th 05 05:45 PM