Posted to rec.woodworking

Default General Finish stains and dyes - thumbs up

Have started working with these water-based products and so far my
experience has been great. Just did a job for a client who want to
match the stain /colour of a factory-finished ash hardwood floor to
unfinished ash stair treads and risers. It only took me four sample
mixes to get close.

Am doing a solid oak bookcase for another client who wants it to match
their bedroom suite. This time, three tries and nailed it.

The only downside is that I'm working in 35C temps and low humidity, so
it's drying a little too fast on larger surfaces to rub the excess off,
but using a damp cloth instead of a dry one seems to solve the problem.

I have had one can of sanding sealer that was jello rather than liquid,
but I just took it back to LV on my next visit. Customer service reply
from GF was less than 4 hours after I sent a query about the problem.

All in all, very nice products.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 18:40:29 -0600, Dave Balderstone
I have had one can of sanding sealer that was jello rather than liquid,
but I just took it back to LV on my next visit.

Was this a sealer you've had before? As I'm sure you're aware, some
finishing products are Gel finishes which can aid when it comes to
spreading a product.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Dave
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 18:40:29 -0600, Dave Balderstone
I have had one can of sanding sealer that was jello rather than liquid,
but I just took it back to LV on my next visit.

Was this a sealer you've had before? As I'm sure you're aware, some
finishing products are Gel finishes which can aid when it comes to
spreading a product.

Yes, I've used it before. It should be liquid. The tech at GF said I
could add water to thin it but as I had just opened the can I simply
returned it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 310720112103085587%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Dave
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 18:40:29 -0600, Dave Balderstone
I have had one can of sanding sealer that was jello rather than liquid,
but I just took it back to LV on my next visit.

Was this a sealer you've had before? As I'm sure you're aware, some
finishing products are Gel finishes which can aid when it comes to
spreading a product.

Yes, I've used it before. It should be liquid. The tech at GF said I
could add water to thin it but as I had just opened the can I simply
returned it.

I'm pretty sure you've heard of these guys in Saskatoon, but JUST in
case you hadn't, I found them a pleasure to deal with.

http://www.woodessence.com/Default.aspx

(I had a woofer reconing business in my neighbourhood for years and
never knew about it, so just because you're both in Da Toon, don't mean
nuttin.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Robatoy wrote:

In article 310720112103085587%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Dave
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 18:40:29 -0600, Dave Balderstone
I have had one can of sanding sealer that was jello rather than liquid,
but I just took it back to LV on my next visit.

Was this a sealer you've had before? As I'm sure you're aware, some
finishing products are Gel finishes which can aid when it comes to
spreading a product.

Yes, I've used it before. It should be liquid. The tech at GF said I
could add water to thin it but as I had just opened the can I simply
returned it.

I'm pretty sure you've heard of these guys in Saskatoon, but JUST in
case you hadn't, I found them a pleasure to deal with.

http://www.woodessence.com/Default.aspx

(I had a woofer reconing business in my neighbourhood for years and
never knew about it, so just because you're both in Da Toon, don't mean
nuttin.)

sonomabeech! I did not know about them...

I have to head out in a bit to get a new blade for the circ saw, and
will have to stop by.

Looks like they have a great selection of shellac flakes, and will have
to try their dyes and stains.

Tenjewberrymush!

Thumbs up on Aldi Jigsaw George UK diy 6 September 20th 08 01:09 PM
Where to buy stains and dyes? Norm Dresner Woodworking 9 April 4th 06 08:41 PM
Opposable thumbs are good Greg Postma Metalworking 9 August 15th 05 08:17 PM
SPF ..Advice needed for coloring Moldings....staining with water base stains or dyes. Gino Woodworking 2 December 14th 04 01:23 AM