DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   O/T: A Prognostication (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/326839-o-t-prognostication.html)

Han August 3rd 11 12:56 PM

A Prognostication

Doug Winterburn wrote in
eb.com:

On 8/2/2011 8:13 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Doug Winterburn wrote:

The way I'm explaining all this to the kids is:

Your mother and I want to spend about $10,000 per month, but we
only
have $5,800 a month income. So we (your parents generation)have
opened up a $17 trillion (by 2013) credit account in your and your
kids (our grandkids) names so we can spend the extra $4200 per
month.

What a crock of crap.

Nice try, but no cigar.

Fight TWO (2) wars on borrowed money and the sacrifice of less
than 5% of the country.

Create a prescription drug insurance plan on borrowed money.

Cut taxes so that additional debt is created.

Well it's time to start paying the tab, so shut the f**k up and start
paying your bill.

Unless of course you want to be a free loader and let the next
generation pay YOUR bill.

Lew

Glad to see you're so up on the current debt situation and how we got
here, Lew.

Been paying my share and much of others for some time. Getting tired
of your kind of crap - very tired.

Doug, wake up. You can't cut income and increase expenses like Bush did
and expect to NOT increase the deficit. It's obvious from all statistics
that wealth has increased mnuch more for the wealthy than for the not so
wealthy. The only rightful way is to correct that imbalance or prepare
for a revolution.

--
Best regards
Han

Leon[_7_] August 3rd 11 01:40 PM

A Prognostication

On 8/2/2011 8:27 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:34:42 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:
Read that as: "I have a Domino, he does notgloat,gloat!"g
Ackshully ... I have three Festool sanders, a TS75, and a CT22E, all
with tails. For at total of four and 32/32nd tailed Festools (that's
five for you, Leon) ;).

Lets see here,,, I have a Rotex, the rectangle 400 Finish Sander, TS75,
Domino, and CT22. That's 5. I musta been thinking about the ones I was
wishing for. ;~) I sure could have used the fancy Domino drill with
eccentric off-set when crawling around under the islands and installing
slides on my last drawer installment.

I can just see it. Karl moves into Leon's neighbourhood. Every morning
they meet in the middle of the street. Here's the scenario:

Hi Karl, how's it going today? Fine Karl says, how are you doing? Fine
says Leon. Karl says, Leon, can I borrow your Rotex sander? Sure says
Leon, help yourself. BTW Karl, can I borrow that Domino drill of
yours? Sure, says Karl, feel free to go get it. we'll meet again
tomorrow morning and exchange what we borrowed today for something
else. Great says Leon, have a good day. You too Leon, says Karl.

And so goes the Karl/Leon daily swap meet.

Close except Karl is going to build next door with his garage next to
mine. Then we build a connecting hallway between the garages.

That lot is still available, Karl.

Leon[_7_] August 3rd 11 02:00 PM

A Prognostication

Doug wrote in

Doug Winterburn wrote:

[...]

So penalize the wealthy for being wealthy. Not much of an incentive to
try to get ahead. Seems that penalizing the wealthy for being fruitful
would create a lower class that does not want to produce and rather wait
for hand outs.

Han August 3rd 11 02:15 PM

A Prognostication

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Doug Winterburn wrote:

[...]

Nonsense. Right now the codes are penalizing regular wage earners with
much higher taxation then those of us who earn income from capital gains
and dividends. Of course, that was enacted to stimulate investment, and
perhaps rightly so. But the law of unintended (I hope) consequences is
indeed now heaping tax upon tax on wage earners (income tax, SS tax,
medicare tax etc), while unearned income doesn't have that. Hey, I
shouldn't complain, really. I am retired ...

--
Best regards
Han

Han August 3rd 11 02:16 PM

A Prognostication

wrote:
[...]

Too bad that isn't right next to me.
I'd love to have you guys next doors.

--
Best regards
Han

Swingman August 3rd 11 02:22 PM

A Prognostication

On 8/3/2011 6:56 AM, Han wrote:

Doug, wake up. You can't cut income and increase expenses like Bush did
and expect to NOT increase the deficit. It's obvious from all statistics
that wealth has increased mnuch more for the wealthy than for the not so
wealthy. The only rightful way is to correct that imbalance or prepare
for a revolution.

I'm sorta thinking that the root cause of any current "imbalance" is NOT
based on the tax code so, instead of trying to fix it with the tax code,
doesn't it make more sense to get at the root cause?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

HeyBub[_3_] August 3rd 11 03:23 PM

A Prognostication

Lew Hodgett wrote:
What a crock of crap.

Nice try, but no cigar.

Fight TWO (2) wars on borrowed money and the sacrifice of less
than 5% of the country.

Sorry, I don't understand your meaning.

Create a prescription drug insurance plan on borrowed money.

Democratic Congress passed Part D. It's consistent with their beliefs.

Cut taxes so that additional debt is created.

Every time taxes have been cut, revenue has increased. Debt is caused by
spending and nothing else. No spending, no debt. It really is as simple as
that.

Well it's time to start paying the tab, so shut the f**k up and start
paying your bill.

I agree to the extent that the debt has to be paid. But it is almost useless
to pay on the debt without reining in spending.

Unless of course you want to be a free loader and let the next
generation pay YOUR bill.

Um, not exactly. Many parts of the national debt are billed as
"investments," that is, we obligate ourselves for something now to be paid
for later. Here are a couple of examples:

* Infrastructure, i.e., so-called "shovel ready" projects
* Grants and subsidies for so-called "Green Energy" projects

HeyBub[_3_] August 3rd 11 03:26 PM

A Prognostication

Swingman wrote:
On 8/3/2011 6:56 AM, Han wrote:

Doug, wake up. You can't cut income and increase expenses like Bush
did and expect to NOT increase the deficit. It's obvious from all
statistics that wealth has increased mnuch more for the wealthy than
for the not so wealthy. The only rightful way is to correct that
imbalance or prepare for a revolution.

I'm sorta thinking that the root cause of any current "imbalance" is
NOT based on the tax code so, instead of trying to fix it with the
tax code, doesn't it make more sense to get at the root cause?

But you'll run into the maxim that anybody who wants to solve the "root
cause" of any problem needs to be shot. In the head.

Then the body cremated and the ashes scattered.

Take no chances.

Markem[_2_] August 3rd 11 03:32 PM

A Prognostication

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 07:40:57 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Close except Karl is going to build next door with his garage next to
mine. Then we build a connecting hallway between the garages.

That lot is still available, Karl.

Good idea as I have heard this "The weather in Houston is great 78
degrees all the time, now why anyone would want to go outside is with
tht is beyond me."

Swingman August 3rd 11 04:03 PM

A Prognostication

On 8/3/2011 9:32 AM, Markem wrote:

Good idea as I have heard this "The weather in Houston is great 78
degrees all the time, now why anyone would want to go outside is with
tht is beyond me."

Two shop fans, blowing 105 degree, 90% humidity laden air, and the
temptation to come in from the shop the past couple of days is overwhelming.

AKA why I'm wasting time in the office at this time of day ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Han August 3rd 11 04:04 PM

A Prognostication

Swingman wrote in
:

On 8/3/2011 6:56 AM, Han wrote:

Doug, wake up. You can't cut income and increase expenses like Bush
did and expect to NOT increase the deficit. It's obvious from all
statistics that wealth has increased mnuch more for the wealthy than
for the not so wealthy. The only rightful way is to correct that
imbalance or prepare for a revolution.

I'm sorta thinking that the root cause of any current "imbalance" is
NOT based on the tax code so, instead of trying to fix it with the tax
code, doesn't it make more sense to get at the root cause?

The root cause is very simple. Congresscritters want to get reelected,
so they'll do anything to get people and now businesses to give to their
reelection campaign. And with anything, I mean anything. That includes
sending federal money to the brother-in-law's sister's grandfather's
business.

The only real way is to make then congresscritters designate the source
of the money they send out.

--
Best regards
Han

Han August 3rd 11 04:13 PM

A Prognostication

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
What a crock of crap.

Nice try, but no cigar.

Fight TWO (2) wars on borrowed money and the sacrifice of less
than 5% of the country.

Sorry, I don't understand your meaning.

Create a prescription drug insurance plan on borrowed money.

Democratic Congress passed Part D. It's consistent with their beliefs.

Cut taxes so that additional debt is created.

Every time taxes have been cut, revenue has increased. Debt is caused
by spending and nothing else. No spending, no debt. It really is as
simple as that.

Well it's time to start paying the tab, so shut the f**k up and start
paying your bill.

I agree to the extent that the debt has to be paid. But it is almost
useless to pay on the debt without reining in spending.

Or enhancing revenues. Why should big corporations be able to post
enormous profits and pay no income taxes? Etc, etc. For one thing,
hiding moneys overseas should be abolished. I had to pay tax on overseas
moneys, so why shouldn't "they"?

Unless of course you want to be a free loader and let the next
generation pay YOUR bill.

Um, not exactly. Many parts of the national debt are billed as
"investments," that is, we obligate ourselves for something now to be
paid for later. Here are a couple of examples:

* Infrastructure, i.e., so-called "shovel ready" projects
* Grants and subsidies for so-called "Green Energy" projects

Some of that is totally legit, but the source of the funds should be
identified. I have to take out a mortgage or loan, and when I do, I make
sure I can pay for it, i.e. I can tell you which funds I'll use to pay
(but I'm not going to be specific here). Congress should do the same.
Borrowing isn't bad in itself, but there are limits. See, I'm a fiscally
conservative liberal ...

--
Best regards
Han

Jack Stein August 3rd 11 04:18 PM

A Prognostication

On 8/2/2011 11:13 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Cut taxes so that additional debt is created.

Except since at least JFK, cutting taxes has ALWAYS resulted in
increased revenues.

So how is it that increased revenues creates more debt?

--
Jack
You can't Tax your way into Prosperity!

Han August 3rd 11 04:21 PM

A Prognostication

Jack Stein wrote in :

On 8/2/2011 11:13 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Cut taxes so that additional debt is created.

Except since at least JFK, cutting taxes has ALWAYS resulted in
increased revenues.

Fudged statistics, I'm sure. At least it defies logic that by cutting
income you'll get more money in.

So how is it that increased revenues creates more debt?

Only if you spend the same money more than once. A favorite in some state
governments ...

--
Best regards
Han

Jack Stein August 3rd 11 04:35 PM

A Prognostication

On 8/3/2011 9:15 AM, Han wrote:

Right now the codes are penalizing regular wage earners with
much higher taxation then those of us who earn income from capital gains
and dividends. Of course, that was enacted to stimulate investment, and
perhaps rightly so. But the law of unintended (I hope) consequences is
indeed now heaping tax upon tax on wage earners (income tax, SS tax,
medicare tax etc), while unearned income doesn't have that. Hey, I
shouldn't complain, really. I am retired ...

Right now, regular wage earners ain't paying dick, compared to above
regular wage earners: In fact, many of the lower group, like my son,
received income taxes for doing less.

Tax Year 2008

Percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid

Top 1% 38.02%

Top 5% 58.72%

Top 10% 69.94%

Top 25% 86.34%

Top 50% 97.30%

Bottom 50% 2.7%

Personally, I think everyone should pay the exact same rate, with the
exception of those that earn so little it would cost more to process
their taxes than they would pay, say $50 in taxes could be ignored.
Everyone else needs an opportunity to participate.

At any rate, your statement that "regular wage earners" are penalized by
tax codes is not only wrong, but 180° wrong.

--
Jack
You can't legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy

Jack Stein August 3rd 11 04:49 PM

A Prognostication

On 8/3/2011 11:13 AM, Han wrote:

.... Why should big corporations be able to post
enormous profits and pay no income taxes? Etc, etc. For one thing,
hiding moneys overseas should be abolished. I had to pay tax on overseas
moneys, so why shouldn't "they"?

Corporations don't pay taxes, period, unless they have a printing press
in their basement, they get ALL their money from YOU.

You give your money to the corporation and SOME of them pay (GE paid
ZERO, XOM paid $36BILLION, or ZERO % vs 45%)

The problem of course is first, most people are too freaking dumb to
realize business collects ALL it's money to pay taxes from YOU, and
secondly tax codes are so ****ed up some, like GE pay zip, whilst some,
like EXXON-Mobil pay a ton.

--
Jack
Conservatives believe every day is the Fourth of July, Liberals believe

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 3rd 11 05:11 PM

A Prognostication

wrote:
[...]

Yabbut, how will you two be when you both live together, not just work
together?

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Jack Stein August 3rd 11 05:13 PM

A Prognostication

On 8/3/2011 11:21 AM, Han wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Cut taxes so that additional debt is created.

Except since at least JFK, cutting taxes has ALWAYS resulted in
increased revenues.

Fudged statistics, I'm sure.

How are you sure? It's just a dollar amount of taxes collected. How do
you fudge that?

At least it defies logic that by cutting income you'll get more money in.

It defies logic to think otherwise, but, just for you, to quote the
Joint Economic Committee of the US Congress:

*****
High marginal tax rates discourage work effort, saving, and
investment, and promote tax avoidance and tax evasion. A reduction in
high marginal tax rates would boost long term economic growth, and
reduce the attractiveness of tax shelters and other forms of tax
avoidance. The economic benefits of ERTA were summarized by President
Clinton's Council of Economic Advisers in 1994: "It is undeniable that
the sharp reduction in taxes in the early 1980s was a strong impetus to
economic growth."
*****

This was their take on how it happens. That it happens is hard to
contest, but if you got some secrete information besides just being sure
the stats were "fudged" feel free to cite.

So how is it that increased revenues creates more debt?

Only if you spend the same money more than once. A favorite in some state
governments ...

So you agree, increased revenues do not increase debt, but spending
does. Now all you need is to figure out that confiscatory, convoluted,
inequitable, unethical tax laws do not boost economic growth, ergo less
tax revenue.

--
Jack
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong

Leon[_7_] August 3rd 11 05:19 PM

A Prognostication

wrote:

Close except Karl is going to build next door with his garage next to
mine. Then we build a connecting hallway between the garages.

That lot is still available, Karl.

Good idea as I have heard this "The weather in Houston is great 78
degrees all the time, now why anyone would want to go outside is with
tht is beyond me."

78 degrees at least twice a day, all the time.

Doug Miller[_2_] August 3rd 11 05:22 PM

A Prognostication

In article , Han wrote:

Nonsense. Right now the codes are penalizing regular wage earners with
much higher taxation then those of us who earn income from capital gains
and dividends. Of course, that was enacted to stimulate investment, and
perhaps rightly so. But the law of unintended (I hope) consequences is
indeed now heaping tax upon tax on wage earners (income tax, SS tax,
medicare tax etc), while unearned income doesn't have that.

Which is why we should stop taxing income altogether, and tax consumption
instead.

Leon[_7_] August 3rd 11 05:23 PM

A Prognostication

On 8/3/2011 10:03 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/3/2011 9:32 AM, Markem wrote:

Good idea as I have heard this "The weather in Houston is great 78
degrees all the time, now why anyone would want to go outside is with
tht is beyond me."

Two shop fans, blowing 105 degree, 90% humidity laden air, and the
temptation to come in from the shop the past couple of days is
overwhelming.

AKA why I'm wasting time in the office at this time of day ...

LOL, waiting for 3:00 pm to roll around, before heading back out???

You see when you build you house and shop next to mine, facing east,
you get a couple hours of morning sun and right about now the garage is
completely shadowed till tomorrow morning.

Leon[_7_] August 3rd 11 05:24 PM

A Prognostication

wrote:
[...]

We think a lot the same way, I don't think it would be a problem.

Han August 3rd 11 05:34 PM

A Prognostication

Jack Stein wrote in
:

On 8/3/2011 9:15 AM, Han wrote:

[...]

Wait a minute. You're using statistics that divide the taxes paid among
people. That is totally inappropriate for my statement, whether true or
not. US Median income is ~$45K (roughly picked from wikipedia). On that
income you'd pay ~$6900, or ~15% taxes. That's the same as on all
unearned (long-term) income. That means that half the people with earned
income pay more income taxes than those who subsist on unearned income.
Add to that that they also pay SS, medicare taxes and state income taxes,
and it is very clear earned income is taxed more heavily than unearned
income.

Now, as far as a flat tax, that'll never fly, unless a) there are
differnt scales at different income levels, and b) all the exceptions are
taken out of the IRS regulations.

--
Best regards
Han

Jack Stein August 3rd 11 05:36 PM

A Prognostication

On 8/3/2011 12:22 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
In , wrote:

Nonsense. Right now the codes are penalizing regular wage earners with
much higher taxation then those of us who earn income from capital gains
and dividends. Of course, that was enacted to stimulate investment, and
perhaps rightly so. But the law of unintended (I hope) consequences is
indeed now heaping tax upon tax on wage earners (income tax, SS tax,
medicare tax etc), while unearned income doesn't have that.

Which is why we should stop taxing income altogether, and tax consumption
instead.

Sales taxes are good, flat tax would be good. What we have now sucks,
big time.

--
Jack
Mr. Geithner, May I Borrow Your TurboTax?

Han August 3rd 11 05:36 PM

A Prognostication

Jack Stein wrote in
:

On 8/3/2011 11:13 AM, Han wrote:

.... Why should big corporations be able to post
enormous profits and pay no income taxes? Etc, etc. For one thing,
hiding moneys overseas should be abolished. I had to pay tax on
overseas moneys, so why shouldn't "they"?

Corporations don't pay taxes, period, unless they have a printing
press in their basement, they get ALL their money from YOU.

You give your money to the corporation and SOME of them pay (GE paid
ZERO, XOM paid $36BILLION, or ZERO % vs 45%)

The problem of course is first, most people are too freaking dumb to
realize business collects ALL it's money to pay taxes from YOU, and
secondly tax codes are so ****ed up some, like GE pay zip, whilst
some, like EXXON-Mobil pay a ton.

You know which part I agree with. Corporations do pay taxes, whether
extorted from you or me. But when they take my money and DON'T pay
taxes, I should get upset, methinks. That is why I amtotally for tax
simplifications. Let's make it sort of flat rate, no exceptions (well, I
do like my property tax and mortgage deductions).

--
Best regards
Han

Leon[_7_] August 3rd 11 05:38 PM

A Prognostication

Doug Winterburn wrote:

[...]

The only fair taxation would be simply that "everyone" pay the exact
same taxes each year. Every one would pay, no deductions, and every one
would seriously expect much much more out of the elected. No victim,
and no privileged tax payers The elected would also pay the same taxes
and have the same benefits/insurance as every one else. The only
advantage that the elected would have is that they are paid the same as now.
Once there are no special benefits to winning the lottery, uh er uh an
election the unqualified would make room for the more qualified.
Once the elected loose the capability of buying votes the problem goes away.

Basically our elected officials precisely fit the profile of the average
lottery winner. The average lottery winner continues to gamble, and in
approximately 10 years have lost all their winnings and are in debt.
Does that sound like our lottery winner/ uh er uh elected officials?

Han August 3rd 11 05:42 PM

A Prognostication

Jack Stein wrote in :

snipped

Jack, we agree (I think) that confiscatory taxes are a no-no, that tax
simplification and elimination of loopholes and crazy "shelters" woukld be
good, and, moreover, that we should spend as we generate income (as
governments). Now, then we should have a really good set of REALLY wise
men and women sit down and figure out how to get to a zero deficit.

I am sure that will need to include revenue enhancement, since abolishing
Medicare/Aid or the Pentagon is not to the country's best interests.
Agriculture give-aways, perhaps eliminating those would be good, etc, etc.

--
Best regards
Han

Doug Miller[_2_] August 3rd 11 05:43 PM

A Prognostication

In article , Jack Stein wrote:
[...]

At any rate, your statement that "regular wage earners" are penalized by
tax codes is not only wrong, but 180° wrong.

No, it's not. You're ignoring the fact that "regular wage earners" pay social
security taxes on most or all of their income, even if they pay no personal
income tax at all, while those with unearned income (i.e. dividends, capital
gains, and interest) do not. A great many wage earners pay substantially more
in social security tax than they do in personal income tax. I need look no
further than my own tax return for an example: in 2010, we paid $2500 more in
social security tax than we paid in personal income tax. They are *both* taxes
on income, but only one is actually *called* that. And only one is actually
paid by those whose income is entirely, or primarily, from dividends and
capital gains. Those who actually *work* for a living pay *both*. And that's
fundamentally unfair.

All other factors (deductions, exemptions, etc.) being equal, someone with
$100K annual income solely from dividends pays significantly less in *total*
taxes than someone with $100K annual income solely from salary. That's not
right.

Leon[_7_] August 3rd 11 05:45 PM

A Prognostication

wrote:

Nonsense. Right now the codes are penalizing regular wage earners with
much higher taxation then those of us who earn income from capital gains
and dividends. Of course, that was enacted to stimulate investment, and
perhaps rightly so. But the law of unintended (I hope) consequences is
indeed now heaping tax upon tax on wage earners (income tax, SS tax,
medicare tax etc), while unearned income doesn't have that.

Which is why we should stop taxing income altogether, and tax consumption
instead.

Sales taxes are good, flat tax would be good. What we have now sucks,
big time.

I realistically don't think a sales tax would be enough to defend
ourselves. If you have another economic down turn and sales drop we
don't have money for defense. Look at how most police departments suffer
and crime goes up when spending cuts are applied.

Every one should pay exactly the same tax, no income tax, including non
citizens working here.

Han August 3rd 11 05:46 PM

A Prognostication

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , Han
wrote:

Nonsense. Right now the codes are penalizing regular wage earners
with much higher taxation then those of us who earn income from
capital gains and dividends. Of course, that was enacted to stimulate
investment, and perhaps rightly so. But the law of unintended (I
hope) consequences is indeed now heaping tax upon tax on wage earners
(income tax, SS tax, medicare tax etc), while unearned income doesn't
have that.

Which is why we should stop taxing income altogether, and tax
consumption instead.

I was in Holland when they instituted the VAT. A crazy-quilt system of
varying "sales" tax rates so dizzying that instituting it led to an
instant 15% inflation. No businessman would risk losing out if perhaps
the tax he would have to pay was a little more than he anticipated, so up
went his prices. No thanks, there isn't really any difference between
sales tax and VAT, just more administration with the latter.

--
Best regards
Han

Doug Miller[_2_] August 3rd 11 05:48 PM

A Prognostication

In article , Han wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in
om:

I agree to the extent that the debt has to be paid. But it is almost
useless to pay on the debt without reining in spending.

Or enhancing revenues. Why should big corporations be able to post
enormous profits and pay no income taxes? Etc, etc. For one thing,
hiding moneys overseas should be abolished. I had to pay tax on overseas
moneys, so why shouldn't "they"?

Han, what makes you think that corporations pay taxes at all? *No* business
pays taxes -- their *customers* pay the taxes. Corporate income tax is simply
another cost of doing business, just like utilities, wages and salaries, raw
materials, office supplies, or any other business expense, and like those
other business expenses, the tax is passed along to the customer, incorporated
into the price of the goods or services the corporation provides.

Every time you buy anything, a portion of what you pay for it goes to pay the
corporate income taxes of the manufacturer who made it, the retailer who sold
it to you, and the trucking company who moved it from one to the other.

Han August 3rd 11 05:51 PM

A Prognostication

Doug Winterburn wrote:

[...]

If you mean get rid of all the convoluted exceptions etc, than I'm all
for it. I have "grown" with the growth of the complexity of our income
taxes, even though I use a computer program for the calculations now,
rather than paper and pencil as in the '70s. But I couldn't do it if I
had to start anew cold turkey-like.

The elected now are more concerned with re-election than with doing the
"right" thing. At least now we can use FB & twitter to tell them, and
round up help to tell them ...

--
Best regards
Han

Bill[_41_] August 3rd 11 05:54 PM

A Prognostication

Doug Miller wrote:
In , Jack wrote:
[...]

[...]

Good point Doug. I never thought of that. That does not even take into
account that long term capital gains are taxed at a significantly lower
rate.

Bill

Bill[_41_] August 3rd 11 05:55 PM

A Prognostication

wrote:

[...]

That's easy to say if you can afford it, unless you mean the same tax rate.

Han August 3rd 11 05:56 PM

A Prognostication

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , Jack Stein
wrote: [...]

[...]

Thanks, Doug! That was indeed my point but you said it infinitely
better.

--
Best regards
Han

Han August 3rd 11 05:58 PM

A Prognostication

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:l6-
:

Every one should pay exactly the same tax, no income tax, including non
citizens working here.

I was subject to exactly the same tax schedules before I became a citizen
as after. Luckily, the wages went nicely up after, but that was not
because I became a citizen. I just earned it grin.
--
Best regards
Han

Han August 3rd 11 06:02 PM

A Prognostication

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

Han, what makes you think that corporations pay taxes at all? *No*
business pays taxes -- their *customers* pay the taxes. Corporate
income tax is simply another cost of doing business, just like
utilities, wages and salaries, raw materials, office supplies, or any
other business expense, and like those other business expenses, the
tax is passed along to the customer, incorporated into the price of
the goods or services the corporation provides.

Every time you buy anything, a portion of what you pay for it goes to
pay the corporate income taxes of the manufacturer who made it, the
retailer who sold it to you, and the trucking company who moved it
from one to the other.

That's the same for me, Doug. When you paid my salary, a portion went to
income taxes as well as other taxes. I knew beforehand that when I
retired, I would pay income taxes, so I set aside from what you paid me
in salary (hopefully) enough to pay those taxes. And I thank you for
supporting the National Institutes of Health, whose grants we applied for
to pay our salaries. I just hope (and I do believe) that the work I did
justified my salary.

--
Best regards
Han

Leon[_7_] August 3rd 11 06:15 PM

A Prognostication

wrote:

[...]

The same rate, I live here so I pay "x" dollars, same as my neighbor.
It would not happen over night obliviously but there would be no
favoritism votes.

Leon[_7_] August 3rd 11 06:18 PM

A Prognostication

On 8/3/2011 11:51 AM, Han wrote:
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

The elected now are more concerned with re-election than with doing the
"right" thing. At least now we can use FB& twitter to tell them, and
round up help to tell them ...

Correction! The elected are "only" concerned with re-election. There
is no right and wrong in government.