Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rip fence

I have seen so many comments here on rip fences. Most were to buy a better
one than what comes with the table saw.Why?
I have a Jet contractors saw. I can cut veneer strips to 3/64 inch. I think
it is all in the set up of the saw when new. What am I missing? WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

WW wrote:
I have seen so many comments here on rip fences. Most were to buy a better
one than what comes with the table saw.Why?
I have a Jet contractors saw. I can cut veneer strips to 3/64 inch. I think
it is all in the set up of the saw when new. What am I missing? WW

I have the same saw and never had any problem with the original fence
in the past 15 years.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

As of next week, passwords will be
entered in Morse code.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 16:51:23 -0600, "WW"
wrote:

I have seen so many comments here on rip fences. Most were to buy a better
one than what comes with the table saw.Why?
I have a Jet contractors saw. I can cut veneer strips to 3/64 inch. I think
it is all in the set up of the saw when new. What am I missing? WW

Because some OE fences are not so good, or are horrible. For example,
the fence that cmae with my Crafstman 1983 vintage 10" contractors saw
was horrible. My Vega aftermarket made a world of difference.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm not an expert, but I have a Biesemeyer (sp?) fence on my Delta hybrid
saw. It is nice to set the width of cut with the gage and not to have to
measure from blade tooth to fence every time. You probably never had a
really bad rip fence, where you had to measure front and back and
tap-tap-tap for every setup.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

"WW" wrote in message
news
I have seen so many comments here on rip fences. Most were to buy a better
one than what comes with the table saw.Why?
I have a Jet contractors saw. I can cut veneer strips to 3/64 inch. I
think it is all in the set up of the saw when new. What am I missing? WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

"WW" wrote in message
news
I have seen so many comments here on rip fences. Most were to buy a better
one than what comes with the table saw.Why?
I have a Jet contractors saw. I can cut veneer strips to 3/64 inch. I
think it is all in the set up of the saw when new. What am I missing? WW

Don't think that every fence is as good as the one on your saw. Many are
rather crappy, difficult to set accurately, flex, won't hold a setting. My
first saw was a cheap one and the fence was horrid. Of course, the fence on
your saw is probably more costly than the entire setup I had.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 1, 5:51*pm, "WW" wrote:
I have seen so many comments here on rip fences. Most were to buy a better
one than what comes with the table saw.Why?
I have a Jet contractors saw. I can cut veneer strips to 3/64 inch. I think
it is all in the set up of the saw when new. What am I missing? WW

My Delta Contractor saw came with a decent rip fence. Much better
than the Craftsman fence/saw I tried briefly. But the Delta standard
contractor fence only went to 25 inches. Replacement Biesmeyer home
model went to 52 inches. Its a very nice fence. The original Delta
fence would have worked fine and dandy I suspect. But the Biesmeyer
is nicer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 1, 5:51*pm, "WW" wrote:
I have seen so many comments here on rip fences. Most were to buy a better
one than what comes with the table saw.Why?
I have a Jet contractors saw. I can cut veneer strips to 3/64 inch. I think
it is all in the set up of the saw when new. What am I missing? WW

I don't think anyone would suggest you automatically replace your
fence. If you are satisfied, keep it. But there are some "stock"
fences that kinda suck. Sears put quite a few of them on Craftsman
saws. On the other hand, Grizzly installs Shop Fox Classic and the
Aluminum Classic on several of their cabinet and contractor's saws --
good fences for anybody's money.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/11 7:37 PM, RonB wrote:
On Jul 1, 5:51 pm, wrote:
I have seen so many comments here on rip fences. Most were to buy a better
one than what comes with the table saw.Why?
I have a Jet contractors saw. I can cut veneer strips to 3/64 inch. I think
it is all in the set up of the saw when new. What am I missing? WW

I don't think anyone would suggest you automatically replace your
fence. If you are satisfied, keep it. But there are some "stock"
fences that kinda suck. Sears put quite a few of them on Craftsman
saws. On the other hand, Grizzly installs Shop Fox Classic and the
Aluminum Classic on several of their cabinet and contractor's saws --
good fences for anybody's money.

RonB

Good is relative. Sometimes you don't realize the limitations of a tool
until you own a better one. However, I imagine a Jet stock fence would
be a lot better than the average back-of-the-truck 10" contractor table
saw fence.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have seen so many comments here on rip fences. Most were to buy a better one than what comes with the table saw.Why?

Gee, if the OP is honest here, he has already seen the comments and
the answer sought lies therein. Why repeat the thread again with a new
player when there are archives galore?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/3/2011 8:01 AM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
I have seen so many comments here on rip fences. Most were to buy a better one than what comes with the table saw.Why?

Gee, if the OP is honest here, he has already seen the comments and
the answer sought lies therein. Why repeat the thread again with a new
player when there are archives galore?

Because this is a newsgroup, and it is here for the purpose of
discussion, new, repeated or off the wall, simply telling someone to
look stuff up is anti-newsgroup.

--
Jack
Never miss a good chance to shut up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 10:09:13 -0400, Jack Stein wrote:

My vintage 1954 Delta contractors saw, and my vintage 1956 Delta Cabinet
saw both came with horrible fences.

Well, I know it's a subjective opinion, but the fence on my 1948 Delta
contractors saw seems to work fine. The markings on the rail don't work,
but that's my fault for adding blade stabilizers :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 3, 9:09*am, Jack Stein wrote:

My vintage 1954 Delta contractors saw, and my vintage 1956 Delta Cabinet
saw both came with horrible fences.

Apparently they changed the Delta fences between the mid 1950s and
early 1990s. The basic fence on the early 1990s Contractor saw was
OK. It worked. Clamped front and rear tubes. Stayed fairly
parallel. The Biesmeyer is better but the Delta fence was OK.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/3/2011 4:47 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:
On 7/2/2011 4:20 PM, wrote:

My Delta Contractor saw came with a decent rip fence. Much better
than the Craftsman fence/saw I tried briefly. But the Delta standard
contractor fence only went to 25 inches. Replacement Biesmeyer home
model went to 52 inches. Its a very nice fence. The original Delta
fence would have worked fine and dandy I suspect. But the Biesmeyer
is nicer.

My vintage 1954 Delta contractors saw, and my vintage 1956 Delta Cabinet
saw both came with horrible fences. I fought with them for many years
before replacing them with the cheap Delta Biesmeyer knockoff. I KNEW
the old fences sucked, and I know the replacement is tits. Some things
are just... obvious.

How about the Delta Unifence (no longer sold) versus the Delta Biesemeyer which
comes with the saw now: What is the verdict on how these stack up against each
other? I suppose there were various models of the Unifence over the years, huh?

I have the Unifence, and I like it a lot. Others who have the Beisemeyer will
say the same thing. A common comparison made between the two is that the
Unifence is built like a Ferrari and the Beisemeyer is built like a tank.

The Unifence has changed a little bit over the years, but I don't think there
is anything incompatible if you try to mix parts from older and newer models.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 3, 6:44*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:
On 7/3/2011 4:47 PM, Bill wrote:

Jack Stein wrote:
On 7/2/2011 4:20 PM, wrote:

[...]

I have used both UniFence and Biesies (and a General knock-off) and I
like them both.
As already mentioned... it's all in the set-up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:
On 7/3/2011 8:01 AM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
I have seen so many comments here on rip fences. Most were to buy a
better one than what comes with the table saw.Why?

Gee, if the OP is honest here, he has already seen the comments and
the answer sought lies therein. Why repeat the thread again with a
new player when there are archives galore?

Because this is a newsgroup, and it is here for the purpose of
discussion, new, repeated or off the wall, simply telling someone to
look stuff up is anti-newsgroup.

Actually Jack, one of the long standing principles of a newsgroup is that
posters would actually look at archives before posting questions, to make
sure that the question at hand had not already been beaten to death. But -
today people find it easier to just ask a question without doing any kind of
investigation or research on their own. Google would reveal so much...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/3/11 11:17 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:
On 7/3/2011 8:01 AM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
I have seen so many comments here on rip fences. Most were to buy a
better one than what comes with the table saw.Why?

Gee, if the OP is honest here, he has already seen the comments and
the answer sought lies therein. Why repeat the thread again with a
new player when there are archives galore?

Because this is a newsgroup, and it is here for the purpose of
discussion, new, repeated or off the wall, simply telling someone to
look stuff up is anti-newsgroup.

Actually Jack, one of the long standing principles of a newsgroup is that
posters would actually look at archives before posting questions, to make
sure that the question at hand had not already been beaten to death. But -
today people find it easier to just ask a question without doing any kind of
investigation or research on their own. Google would reveal so much...

Google pretty much renders this newsgroup useless for just about any and
all woodworking info/knowledge.

I hang here more for the interaction and sideshows.
The friends I've made here, I converse with on Facebook or email.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:
[...]

Naw... Google won't sell you on the book, "The Soul of a Tree", like
in the book recommendation thread. If you remove the soul from
woodworking you may be left with just a kitchen counter.

I hang here more for the interaction and sideshows.

I hope you liked my comment above... lol.

The friends I've made here, I converse with on Facebook or email.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/4/2011 12:42 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Actually Jack, one of the long standing principles of a newsgroup is that
posters would actually look at archives before posting questions, to make
sure that the question at hand had not already been beaten to death. But -
today people find it easier to just ask a question without doing any kind of
investigation or research on their own. Google would reveal so much...

Google pretty much renders this newsgroup useless for just about any and
all woodworking info/knowledge.

I hang here more for the interaction and sideshows.
The friends I've made here, I converse with on Facebook or email.

Been there, Google I mean, and find that nowadays one can literally
spend days, not hours...days, reading opposing reviews, shortcuts,
detailed instructions based upon sheer lunacy and a variety of unrelated
opinions from absolute idiots. The researcher can walk away more
confused than before he began the "search".

The advantage of posting directly to an interactive focus group is that
if details are incorrect or there exists a better way, reaction from
peers is immediate and can often lead to additional insights not easily
found elsewhere. And, generally speaking, the novice or otherwise can
pose additional questions or ask for clarification in near real time,
without having to give up a lifelong history of personal details to join
this site, or that site, or that other site, or...in order to post a
question on a message board that may never get answered. Limbo is a
really long time.:-)

Finally, again in my opinion, comes the possibility of real inspiration,
mutual support, encouragement and a decent pat on the back upon
completion. All benefits worth far more than whatever is gained from a
long and frustrating Google search. And who knows, perhaps the original
researcher is a real life expert in something that, while not
immediately obvious, may one day prove invaluable to all of us here.

I personally do not take anyone from this group home with me at night
:-), but I do look forward to reading the posts here everyday, always
looking for new ideas, insights and yes, even a negative opinion upon
occasion. If we skip over the ocassional troll and ignore the
belligerent, what survives is a great bunch of decent and imaginative
artists, all.

Just my take on why we should not simply condemn a new or old poster to
the infinite limbo of 50,000+ posts on a subject archived over 10+ years
or more, or condemn someone to Google hell for eternity. In my days of
Military service, we often used the expression "a little knowledge is
just enough to make you stupid and get you killed". Google, IMHO,
promotes stewpid! Google might reveal how to build that boat you've
always wanted, but this group can tell you now, how to get it out of
your basement!

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Google pretty much renders this newsgroup useless for just about any
and all woodworking info/knowledge.

I hang here more for the interaction and sideshows.
The friends I've made here, I converse with on Facebook or email.

I get both from the group - I've seen some great advise here, and I also
hang for the comraderie. As for Facebook... not so much.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Digger wrote:

Just my take on why we should not simply condemn a new or old poster
to the infinite limbo of 50,000+ posts on a subject archived over 10+
years or more, or condemn someone to Google hell for eternity. In my
days of Military service, we often used the expression "a little
knowledge is just enough to make you stupid and get you killed".
Google, IMHO, promotes stewpid! Google might reveal how to build that
boat you've always wanted, but this group can tell you now, how to
get it out of your basement!

I disagree to some extent - but not fully. I find google to be all that you
stated (snipped), and I find it to provide a plethora of useful information.
I assume the responsibility to sort through some of that as a first cut sort
of effort. You are correct in that there are too many sources of
information that are not well informed, to rely exclusively on that effort,
but it does provide a decent basis. One will at least get exposed to the
conflicting ideas that may surround their question, or find the answers to
some of their questions, and even discover new questions.

That all said, google is often not suggested as a resource to find all
things ever stated by anyone, anywhere on a particular topic, but is often
suggested as an archive search for a particular newsgroup.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/4/2011 7:34 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Google pretty much renders this newsgroup useless for just about any
and all woodworking info/knowledge.

I hang here more for the interaction and sideshows.
The friends I've made here, I converse with on Facebook or email.

I get both from the group - I've seen some great advise here, and I also
hang for the comraderie. As for Facebook... not so much.

You can soon have "circles" of "Friends" on Google Plus.

Thought this cartoon was hilarious:

http://dwighttowers.files.wordpress....googleplus.png

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 4, 12:42*am, -MIKE- wrote:

I hang here more for the interaction and sideshows.
The friends I've made here, I converse with on Facebook or email.

Hear hear!!

I enjoy the banter, the friendly needling and the chuckles. In terms
of information, yes a Google search can yield results but knowing who
is sharing certain info is far more valuable.
If some unknown says: "glue B will stain wood A" I am suppose to
believe that? Yet when any of a group of people here tell that "glue B
will stain wood A" I can decide whether or not that info is credible
depending on the source(s) and ya'll know who you are. G

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Google pretty much renders this newsgroup useless for just about any
and all woodworking info/knowledge.

I hang here more for the interaction and sideshows.
The friends I've made here, I converse with on Facebook or email.

I get both from the group - I've seen some great advise here, and I also
hang for the comraderie. *As for Facebook... not so much.

You can soon have "circles" of "Friends" on Google Plus.

Thought this cartoon was hilarious:

http://dwighttowers.files.wordpress....googleplus.png

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Facebook is like getting a bulletin from the church, rec.woodworking
is like walking into a local pub

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/4/2011 8:13 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Facebook is like getting a bulletin from the church, rec.woodworking
is like walking into a local pub

LOL. And with the occasional (virtual) punch in the nose to boot ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 4, 9:19*am, Swingman wrote:
On 7/4/2011 8:13 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Facebook is like getting a bulletin from the church, rec.woodworking
is like walking into a local pub

LOL. And with the occasional (virtual) punch in the nose to boot ...

LOL...isn't that the truth...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Looking at the "archives" as they are sometimes called can be a productive
method of finding an answer. Consider, though, that usenet predates the
web, the internet as we know it today, and even the concept of "usenet
archives." There's nothing wrong IMHO with asking a question.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/3/11 11:59 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Google pretty much renders this newsgroup useless for just about any and
all woodworking info/knowledge.

Naw... Google won't sell you on the book, "The Soul of a Tree", like in
the book recommendation thread. If you remove the soul from woodworking
you may be left with just a kitchen counter.

I hang here more for the interaction and sideshows.

I hope you liked my comment above... lol.

It was the only thing I liked. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/4/11 7:32 AM, Digger wrote:
On 7/4/2011 12:42 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Google pretty much renders this newsgroup useless for just about any and
all woodworking info/knowledge.

I hang here more for the interaction and sideshows.
The friends I've made here, I converse with on Facebook or email.

Been there, Google I mean, and find that nowadays one can literally
spend days, not hours...days, reading opposing reviews, shortcuts,
detailed instructions based upon sheer lunacy and a variety of unrelated
opinions from absolute idiots. The researcher can walk away more
confused than before he began the "search".

I guess mileage varies. It takes a bit of upfront knowledge and a well
developed BS filter to cut down the searching time. There have been
times I have posted a question in this group, then googled it and have
completed the repair/project before getting any decent reply in here.

The advantage of posting directly to an interactive focus group is that
if details are incorrect or there exists a better way, reaction from
peers is immediate and can often lead to additional insights not easily
found elsewhere.

That's one way to put it. Or in other words, as in the case of the
recent washer base cabinet thread of which I've only read several
replies, you get a bunch of people just thinking out loud with poor
advice and the next thing you know, the guy is digging footers for a
block foundation and trenches for a french drain. :-)

There are about 4 guys in here who's advice I'll take seriously and the
rest are the noise in the signal to noise ratio.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Google pretty much renders this newsgroup useless for just about any
and all woodworking info/knowledge.

I hang here more for the interaction and sideshows.
The friends I've made here, I converse with on Facebook or email.

I get both from the group - I've seen some great advise here, and I also
hang for the comraderie. As for Facebook... not so much.

You can soon have "circles" of "Friends" on Google Plus.

Thought this cartoon was hilarious:

http://dwighttowers.files.wordpress....googleplus.png

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Facebook is like getting a bulletin from the church, rec.woodworking
is like walking into a local pub

Facebook is instant when people are online. You can get a chat going
between a dozen people, in the time it takes me to type this, send it,
wait for a single reply, the discussion is over on facebook and I'm back
in the garage. Different strokes.

Like I said, I like newsgroups... or should I say, "newsgroup." This is
the only one left. I'm going to ride it out, but I moved on years ago.
I'm not staying with my horse and buggy while the flying cars are
passing overhead. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/3/2011 11:17 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:
On 7/3/2011 8:01 AM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
I have seen so many comments here on rip fences. Most were to buy a
better one than what comes with the table saw.Why?

Gee, if the OP is honest here, he has already seen the comments and
the answer sought lies therein. Why repeat the thread again with a
new player when there are archives galore?

Because this is a newsgroup, and it is here for the purpose of
discussion, new, repeated or off the wall, simply telling someone to
look stuff up is anti-newsgroup.

Actually Jack, one of the long standing principles of a newsgroup is that
posters would actually look at archives before posting questions, to make
sure that the question at hand had not already been beaten to death. But -
today people find it easier to just ask a question without doing any kind of
investigation or research on their own. Google would reveal so much...

Well, "back in the day" it was considered a waste of bandwidth and storage
space to pollute the newsgroups with 78 variations of the same questions and
answers. Not so much anymore...

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:
[...]

Yeah - Check these guys out.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.o...topics?lnk=srg
Posted to rec.woodworking

Digger wrote:

Finally, again in my opinion, comes the possibility of real inspiration,
mutual support, encouragement and a decent pat on the back upon
completion. All benefits worth far more than whatever is gained from a
long and frustrating Google search.

Definitely. I think many of us wish to be independent of, at least to a
degree, to some of the ideas that are taken for granted by (inflicted
upon?) the popular culture. I recall one thread which really highlighted
the fact that we, as a group, seem to have a preference for Doing rather
than Spectating--even this seems to run contrary to popular (commercial)
culture. There is, absolutely, power in numbers!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:

Well, "back in the day" it was considered a waste of bandwidth and storage
space to pollute the newsgroups with 78 variations of the same questions and
answers. Not so much anymore...

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Yeah - Check these guys out.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.o...topics?lnk=srg

Ha! They must be having fun... : )
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 4, 6:53*pm, Bill wrote:
RonB wrote:
Well, "back in the day" it was considered a waste of bandwidth and storage
space to pollute the newsgroups with 78 variations of the same questions and
answers. *Not so much anymore...

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Yeah - Check these guys out.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.o...topics?lnk=srg

Ha! *They must be having fun... * *: )

Actually it is a good example of what can happen to a formerly good
newsgroup. At any given time 80% of the posts are Off Topic, but only
about half pf them are labeled OT. Much of the banter is political
and mean-spirited.

Let it be a warning to us! ;^}

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:
[...]

"Back in the day" more bandwidth was wasted telling people they were off
topic than the off topic stuff took to begin with. As far as duplicated
issues, that has never changed, there are only so many issues, and most
of them have been discussed many times. It is still possible for
something new to come up even on an issue talked to death.

This means it is possible, although unlikely, that after 10,000 posts on
how to drill a hole for bench dogs in a work bench, some one will
startle you...
--
Jack
You're never too old to learn something stupid.