DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   wood screws (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/325278-wood-screws.html)

Steve Barker[_6_] June 29th 11 06:02 AM

wood screws

Looking for recommendations for general purpose wood screws. i mostly
work with red oak varying from 1 1/8" and thinner. I just want a decent
american made screw i can take in and out (if need be) without tearing
the **** out of the head of the screw. (like the locally purchased ones)

I found rockler and mcfeeleys so far. Do each of them sell decent screws?

thanks!

--
Steve Barker

Steve Barker[_6_] June 29th 11 06:30 AM

wood screws

On 6/29/2011 12:18 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Jamestown Distributors

nver mind. i found them

--
Steve Barker

Leon[_7_] June 29th 11 12:03 PM

wood screws

On 6/29/2011 12:02 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Looking for recommendations for general purpose wood screws. i mostly
work with red oak varying from 1 1/8" and thinner. I just want a decent
american made screw i can take in and out (if need be) without tearing
the **** out of the head of the screw. (like the locally purchased ones)

I found rockler and mcfeeleys so far. Do each of them sell decent screws?

thanks!

Good luck finding an exclusive American made screw. For the better
style screws driver design seems to make the most difference. Look for
at least the square head design and forget about slotted and Phillips.

Mcfeeleys is a good source be does not sell exclusive American. I have
been buying from the for so long that I forget how long, 20+++. They
stand behind their product.

BTY working with hard woods you want to use a fine thread design.

Han June 29th 11 12:35 PM

wood screws

Steve Barker wrote in
:

Looking for recommendations for general purpose wood screws. i mostly
work with red oak varying from 1 1/8" and thinner. I just want a
decent american made screw i can take in and out (if need be) without
tearing the **** out of the head of the screw. (like the locally
purchased ones)

I found rockler and mcfeeleys so far. Do each of them sell decent
screws?

thanks!

I forget why I started to use their screws, but I do like them:
http://screw-products.com/
I have no idea where the screws are fabricated, but the website looks like
this is a US outfit.

--
Best regards
Han

Leon[_7_] June 29th 11 01:01 PM

wood screws

On 6/29/2011 6:52 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
Looking for recommendations for general purpose wood screws. i mostly
work with red oak varying from 1 1/8" and thinner. I just want a
decent american made screw i can take in and out (if need be) without
tearing the **** out of the head of the screw. (like the locally
purchased ones)
I found rockler and mcfeeleys so far. Do each of them sell decent
screws?

McFeeley's does, probably Rockler too.

Since you are using oak, keep in mind that you need to use stainless or
bronze. Brass is OK but easier to break.

Why would you, "I" need to switch to stainless or bronze for oak?
Regular steel has been working out fine for me for the last 30+ years.

I do not have a problem with streaking or staining but then again I do
not use a "bar of soap" as a thread lubricant.

WW[_2_] June 29th 11 01:43 PM

wood screws

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Looking for recommendations for general purpose wood screws. i mostly
work with red oak varying from 1 1/8" and thinner. I just want a decent
american made screw i can take in and out (if need be) without tearing the
**** out of the head of the screw. (like the locally purchased ones)

I found rockler and mcfeeleys so far. Do each of them sell decent screws?

thanks!

--
Steve Barker

I use mostly oak. Use the gold colored and some times the galvinized (dry
wall screws) .. I predrill holes and use bees wax for lube. No problins. WW

Leon[_7_] June 29th 11 01:48 PM

wood screws

On 6/29/2011 7:43 AM, WW wrote:
"Steve wrote in message
Looking for recommendations for general purpose wood screws. i mostly
work with red oak varying from 1 1/8" and thinner. I just want a decent
american made screw i can take in and out (if need be) without tearing the
**** out of the head of the screw. (like the locally purchased ones)

I found rockler and mcfeeleys so far. Do each of them sell decent screws?

thanks!

--
Steve Barker

I use mostly oak. Use the gold colored and some times the galvinized (dry
wall screws) .. I predrill holes and use bees wax for lube. No problins. WW

Sorry, but that is the advice of inexperience. Dry wall screws are good
for drywall.

A normal wood screw with any head design other than straight blade or
Phillips is far superior.

FWIW I used dry wall screws for years until I learned/understood why the
right screw for the job was the better choice. Dry wall screws are
simply too light weight and brittle for working with hard woods.

willshak June 29th 11 02:39 PM

wood screws

Steve Barker wrote the following:
Looking for recommendations for general purpose wood screws. i mostly
work with red oak varying from 1 1/8" and thinner. I just want a
decent american made screw i can take in and out (if need be) without
tearing the **** out of the head of the screw. (like the locally
purchased ones)

I found rockler and mcfeeleys so far. Do each of them sell decent
screws?

thanks!

I use SS screws outdoors or indoors. They don't rust and can be reused.
They come with various head drives like square, star and phillips.The
only drawback is that they are more expensive than regular screws.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Max June 29th 11 03:15 PM

wood screws

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Looking for recommendations for general purpose wood screws. i mostly
work with red oak varying from 1 1/8" and thinner. I just want a decent
american made screw i can take in and out (if need be) without tearing the
**** out of the head of the screw. (like the locally purchased ones)

I found rockler and mcfeeleys so far. Do each of them sell decent screws?

thanks!

--
Steve Barker

These work well for me. (in different sizes as needed)

Max
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0810...ow-Zinc-Screws

Swingman June 29th 11 04:47 PM

wood screws

On 6/29/2011 12:02 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Looking for recommendations for general purpose wood screws. i mostly
work with red oak varying from 1 1/8" and thinner. I just want a decent
american made screw i can take in and out (if need be) without tearing
the **** out of the head of the screw. (like the locally purchased ones)

I found rockler and mcfeeleys so far. Do each of them sell decent screws?

Quit using Rockler's screws for critical applications, like joining Face
Frames ... simply snapped too damn many in the process.

For general purpose, where if one snaps it's not a big deal, they're OK.

I tend to buy bulk whenever I buy them and, for critical applications,
try to get them from a local cabinet supply shop, or tool supplier, as
they seem to have the better quality screws in bulk than most national
chains, like Rockler, WoodCraft, etc.

FWIW & IME, good places in Houston to buy screws are Circle Saw,
CornerStone Hardware and Louis & Co.

That said, in this day and age, that could change tomorrow.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Steve Barker[_6_] June 29th 11 05:20 PM

wood screws

Steve Barker wrote:
Looking for recommendations for general purpose wood screws. i mostly
work with red oak varying from 1 1/8" and thinner. I just want a
decent american made screw i can take in and out (if need be) without
tearing the **** out of the head of the screw. (like the locally
purchased ones)
I found rockler and mcfeeleys so far. Do each of them sell decent
screws?

McFeeley's does, probably Rockler too.

Since you are using oak, keep in mind that you need to use stainless or
bronze. Brass is OK but easier to break.

can you elaborate on the reason to use brass or ss? So far i've been
using some regular steel screws.

thanks,

--
Steve Barker

-MIKE- June 29th 11 07:00 PM

wood screws

On 6/29/11 11:20 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Since you are using oak, keep in mind that you need to use stainless or
bronze. Brass is OK but easier to break.

can you elaborate on the reason to use brass or ss? So far i've been
using some regular steel screws.

thanks,

You don't. It's the return of the dreaded "oak rust" myth.

Pre-drilling oak or any other "hard" hardwood is a good idea.
When considering other typed of screw heads, keep in mind that the
driver is probably more important than the screw head. A poor square
drive head on a driver bit will round over and lose its grip, nullifying
as advantage of the head design. There are Phillips type head/bit combos
that are as strip free as square head or star head, because the head and
tip match perfectly.

When choosing a square head driver, look for the tip to be hardened
steel and not just a die-punched portion of the steel shaft. The ones
that appear to be a separate piece and different kind of metal attached
to the driver shaft have always held their shape and performed much
better for me.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

-MIKE- June 29th 11 07:41 PM

wood screws

Steve Barker wrote:
Looking for recommendations for general purpose wood screws. i
mostly work with red oak varying from 1 1/8" and thinner. I just
want a decent american made screw i can take in and out (if need
be) without tearing the **** out of the head of the screw. (like
the locally purchased ones)
I found rockler and mcfeeleys so far. Do each of them sell decent
screws?

McFeeley's does, probably Rockler too.

Since you are using oak, keep in mind that you need to use stainless
or bronze. Brass is OK but easier to break.

can you elaborate on the reason to use brass or ss? So far i've been
using some regular steel screws.

Oak is acidic. In time, it will streak from corrosion of steel fastenings,
particularly in a damp or humid environment. The same is true of various
other woods, western red cedar beng a common one.

Mr. Myth Man Mike not experiencing it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

BTW, if you ever need to use brass it is a good idea to use a same size
steel screw first to cut the threads, remove it and insert the brass one.
Brass is very weak.

Ok, then here's my question. We're talking about screw heads, right?
What kind of woodworker is leaving screw-heads exposed on his woodwork?
This guy asked about screws he could take in and out, so I assumed it's
not for furniture or cabinets.

Yes, I've seen stains in wood from fasteners and my first thought
wasn't, "Gee, he should have used SS pins or brads." No, my first
thought is, "What kind of hack woodworker leaves exposed fasteners and
doesn't fill his nail holes?"

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

-MIKE- June 29th 11 07:59 PM

wood screws

On 6/29/11 1:54 PM, dadiOH wrote:

One could also ask, what kind of hack woodworker uses nails? Or does not
counterbore for screws and use plugs?

I agree.

In both cases there are times when a nail or screw can be exposed and look
good.

We all have opinions. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Larry W June 30th 11 12:40 AM

wood screws

In article , -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/29/11 1:32 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Ok, then here's my question. We're talking about screw heads, right?
What kind of woodworker is leaving screw-heads exposed on his woodwork?
This guy asked about screws he could take in and out, so I assumed it's
not for furniture or cabinets.

Yes, I've seen stains in wood from fasteners and my first thought
wasn't, "Gee, he should have used SS pins or brads." No, my first
thought is, "What kind of hack woodworker leaves exposed fasteners and
doesn't fill his nail holes?"

I may have missed it, but I've seen nothing in this thread that would
lead me to believe anyone was leaving any screw heads exposed. I've
built lots of pieces with screws used on the back or bottom, and
occasionally on the top of very tall items, that were not visible.

-MIKE- June 30th 11 01:29 AM

wood screws

On 6/29/11 6:40 PM, Larry W wrote:
In , wrote:
On 6/29/11 1:32 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Ok, then here's my question. We're talking about screw heads, right?
What kind of woodworker is leaving screw-heads exposed on his woodwork?
This guy asked about screws he could take in and out, so I assumed it's
not for furniture or cabinets.

Yes, I've seen stains in wood from fasteners and my first thought
wasn't, "Gee, he should have used SS pins or brads." No, my first
thought is, "What kind of hack woodworker leaves exposed fasteners and
doesn't fill his nail holes?"

I may have missed it, but I've seen nothing in this thread that would
lead me to believe anyone was leaving any screw heads exposed. I've
built lots of pieces with screws used on the back or bottom, and
occasionally on the top of very tall items, that were not visible.

It was brought up that they would streak from corrosion.
I'd doubt anyone would care about streaking on the bottom or back of a
piece, even though it would still be lazy not to cover those up, imo.
This leads one to believe if you care about streaking, they can be seen.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Rich June 30th 11 04:45 AM

wood screws

Steve Barker wrote:

Looking for recommendations for general purpose wood screws. i mostly
work with red oak varying from 1 1/8" and thinner. I just want a decent
american made screw i can take in and out (if need be) without tearing
the **** out of the head of the screw. (like the locally purchased ones)

I found rockler and mcfeeleys so far. Do each of them sell decent screws?

thanks!

Don't think screws are made in the US anymore!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb

Steve Barker[_6_] June 30th 11 03:11 PM

wood screws THANKS for all the replies

On 6/29/2011 12:02 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Looking for recommendations for general purpose wood screws. i mostly
work with red oak varying from 1 1/8" and thinner. I just want a decent
american made screw i can take in and out (if need be) without tearing
the **** out of the head of the screw. (like the locally purchased ones)

I found rockler and mcfeeleys so far. Do each of them sell decent screws?

thanks!

I would like to thank everyone for their replies. I realize it's gonna
be hard to find an American made product. I'm mainly interested in
getting something that won't strip out if i have the pilot hole a bit
small or not deep enough. I'm just getting started in this wood working
thing at 53 years old I've got a fairly decent table saw, a million year
old (but tight) radial arm saw and a nice new dewalt planer. I'm
currently working on fixing up a jointer. I have 500+ board feet of red
oak, purchased at a cost of 72 cents (yes, seventy-two cents) per bd ft.
I'm looking forward to making some things for around the house.
Nothing fancy, no ornate furniture and the like. I love red oak and
real lacquer.

--
Steve Barker

Jack Stein June 30th 11 04:02 PM

wood screws

On 6/29/2011 8:48 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/29/2011 7:43 AM, WW wrote:

I use mostly oak. Use the gold colored and some times the galvinized (dry
wall screws) .. I predrill holes and use bees wax for lube. No
problins. WW

Sorry, but that is the advice of inexperience. Dry wall screws are good
for drywall.

I like dry wall screws, particularly the course threaded screws. Dry
wall screws are no good for exterior use, but are fine for indoor use
because they are case hardened so the heads never strip out. They are
also cheap and readily available.

A normal wood screw with any head design other than straight blade or
Phillips is far superior.

I like Phillips because they are the most common screw type and they
work good enough, particularly in drywall screws because the heads never
strip out. I have square head Robinson screws which work fine, but you
end up constantly changing bits. For that reason I like Phillips, and
my Swiss Army knife has Phillips and slotted but no Robertson. I've
fixed everything from pool tables to deck chairs with my knife, but not
when funky screw heads are used...

FWIW I used dry wall screws for years until I learned/understood why the
right screw for the job was the better choice. Dry wall screws are
simply too light weight and brittle for working with hard woods.

I, like you, have used them for years. I don't recall a failure, ever,
other than using them outdoors. They last about a year out doors, and
indoors they simply work fine. Outdoors, SS is the only way to go,
indoors, SS is a waste of money. Drywall screws don't rust in Oak
unless in a wet environment, then everything other than brass and SS
rust, regardless of wood type. Of course, like everything, there are
Drywall screws and then there are drywall screws. They are not all the same.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Jack Stein June 30th 11 04:08 PM

wood screws

On 6/29/2011 8:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I may have missed it, but I've seen nothing in this thread that would
lead me to believe anyone was leaving any screw heads exposed. I've
built lots of pieces with screws used on the back or bottom, and
occasionally on the top of very tall items, that were not visible.

It was brought up that they would streak from corrosion.

I've yet to see any screw streak from corrosion as long as the wood, any
type, remained dry. Indoor wood work generally remains dry, other than
in a steam room or bath.

I'd doubt anyone would care about streaking on the bottom or back of a
piece, even though it would still be lazy not to cover those up, imo.
This leads one to believe if you care about streaking, they can be seen.

If the piece is subject to moisture to the extent it would streak, as in
out doors, then, stainless is the best answer. Otherwise it just
doesn't matter, long as the screws don't break or heads strip out easily.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Leon[_7_] June 30th 11 06:13 PM

wood screws

On 6/30/2011 10:08 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
On 6/29/2011 8:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

[...]

If the "red oak" piece is subject to moisture out doors, streaking is
going to be the least of his worries. Red Oak will last about 4~5 years
out doors and exposed to the elements.

Eric[_15_] July 4th 11 12:36 AM

wood screws

"Jack Stein" wrote in message ...

On 6/29/2011 8:48 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/29/2011 7:43 AM, WW wrote:

[...]

================

Square Head and Robertson are two different heads that people confuse.
Robertson heads have a tapered recess with a Morse taper that self-locks
onto the bit. The Phillips look-a-like square head does not. Robertson has
no numbers, but rather colors, to identify sizes.

--

Eric

Jack Stein July 4th 11 05:37 PM

wood screws

On 7/3/2011 7:36 PM, Eric wrote:

Square Head and Robertson are two different heads that people confuse.
Robertson heads have a tapered recess with a Morse taper that self-locks
onto the bit. The Phillips look-a-like square head does not. Robertson
has no numbers, but rather colors, to identify sizes.

I didn't know that, but regardless, my Swiss army knife doesn't have
that driver type, so when I'm sitting on Susie's deck and one of the
deck chairs a square head guy made her has a loose screw, my Swiss army
knife can't do much about it, so I prefer Phillips screws, but only for
reasons of consistency and commonality and they work good enough for me.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Eric[_15_] July 4th 11 08:21 PM

wood screws

"Jack Stein" wrote in message ...

On 7/3/2011 7:36 PM, Eric wrote:

Square Head and Robertson are two different heads that people confuse.
Robertson heads have a tapered recess with a Morse taper that self-locks
onto the bit. The Phillips look-a-like square head does not. Robertson
has no numbers, but rather colors, to identify sizes.

I didn't know that, but regardless, my Swiss army knife doesn't have
that driver type, so when I'm sitting on Susie's deck and one of the
deck chairs a square head guy made her has a loose screw, my Swiss army
knife can't do much about it, so I prefer Phillips screws, but only for
reasons of consistency and commonality and they work good enough for me.

====================
Philips screw heads were designed to eliminate overtorquing them by ensuring
the tip of the screwdriver ramps out of the slot and effectively stripping
the heads of the screw, as a side effect. They suck and have been replaced
by popular demand by many wanting a better system.

But have a look at this! Just when you thought you had seen it all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

--

Eric

-MIKE- July 4th 11 08:52 PM

wood screws

On 7/4/11 2:21 PM, Eric wrote:
Philips screw heads were designed to eliminate overtorquing them by
ensuring the tip of the screwdriver ramps out of the slot and
effectively stripping the heads of the screw, as a side effect.

--

Eric

Bull****. :-)
I don't believe that for a second.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

[email protected] July 4th 11 09:38 PM

wood screws

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 14:52:37 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 7/4/11 2:21 PM, Eric wrote:
Philips screw heads were designed to eliminate overtorquing them by
ensuring the tip of the screwdriver ramps out of the slot and
effectively stripping the heads of the screw, as a side effect.

--

Eric

Bull****. :-)
I don't believe that for a second.

Don't know if you're pulling legs, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

Phillips Head:
"Created by Henry F. Phillips, the Phillips screw drive was purposely
designed to cam out when the screw stalled, to prevent the fastener
damaging the work or the head, instead damaging the driver. This was
caused by the relative difficulty in building torque limiting into the
early drivers."

If you want to be able to break the head, use a Posidriv (also invented by
Phillips). ;-)

(later)
"Phillips drivers have an intentional angle on the flanks and rounded
corners so they will cam out of the slot before a power tool will twist
off the screw head. The Pozidriv screws and drivers have straight
sided flanks."

-MIKE- July 4th 11 10:16 PM

wood screws

On 7/4/11 3:38 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 14:52:37 -0500, wrote:

On 7/4/11 2:21 PM, Eric wrote:
Philips screw heads were designed to eliminate overtorquing them by
ensuring the tip of the screwdriver ramps out of the slot and
effectively stripping the heads of the screw, as a side effect.

--

Eric

Bull****. :-)
I don't believe that for a second.

Don't know if you're pulling legs, but...

Yes and no... thus the smiley face.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

Phillips Head:
"Created by Henry F. Phillips, the Phillips screw drive was purposely
designed to cam out when the screw stalled, to prevent the fastener
damaging the work or the head, instead damaging the driver. This was
caused by the relative difficulty in building torque limiting into the
early drivers."

If you want to be able to break the head, use a Posidriv (also invented by
Phillips). ;-)

(later)
"Phillips drivers have an intentional angle on the flanks and rounded
corners so they will cam out of the slot before a power tool will twist
off the screw head. The Pozidriv screws and drivers have straight
sided flanks."

1st. Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source in the world. It's
barely a step up from all of us in this newsgroup spouting off our
opinions, old wives tales, and stuff we heard a guy tell us that his
brother-in-laws' buddy's dad told him. (However, for the sake of this
discussion, I will stipulate that this page is 100% accurate.)

2nd. It's the "effectively stripping the heads of the screw, as a side
effect" editorial that clogged my BS filter. An object being designed
to "cam out" is completely different from "stripping the heads."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

dpb July 4th 11 10:27 PM

wood screws

On 7/4/2011 4:16 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

... An object being designed to
"cam out" is completely different from "stripping the heads."

roger that...

[email protected] July 4th 11 11:26 PM

wood screws

On 7/4/11 2:21 PM, Eric wrote:
[...]

True, but if you don't like any information you get here, or the web, exactly
why is it that you waste your time here? If it's 100% accurate, exactly what
is your beef?

2nd. It's the "effectively stripping the heads of the screw, as a side
effect" editorial that clogged my BS filter. An object being designed
to "cam out" is completely different from "stripping the heads."

Well, camming out of a Phillips driver has been pretty effective at stripping
the heads for me. Works when dumb techs try Phillips drivers with Pozidriv
screws, too. ;-)

No Name July 5th 11 02:45 AM

wood screws

wrote:
2nd. It's the "effectively stripping the heads of the screw, as a side
effect" editorial that clogged my BS filter. An object being designed
to "cam out" is completely different from "stripping the heads."

Might bolster your discussion if you present an example where the
camming out of the driver is an integral part of use ~ such as drywall
screws for example where the head of the screw is slightly counter
sunk but not so deep that it has driven itself right through the
drywall.

-MIKE- July 5th 11 02:45 AM

wood screws

On 7/4/11 5:26 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 16:16:26 -0500, wrote:

On 7/4/11 2:21 PM, Eric wrote:
[...]

I explained that in my earlier post. I have some friends in here. I
enjoy the interaction. When I want info from experienced woodworkers, I
know who the 4 or 5 guys are who know what their talking about and who
constitutes the noise.

If it's 100% accurate, exactly what
is your beef?

google: stipulate

2nd. It's the "effectively stripping the heads of the screw, as a side
effect" editorial that clogged my BS filter. An object being designed
to "cam out" is completely different from "stripping the heads."

Well, camming out of a Phillips driver has been pretty effective at stripping
the heads for me. Works when dumb techs try Phillips drivers with Pozidriv
screws, too. ;-)

:-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

-MIKE- July 5th 11 02:47 AM

wood screws

wrote:
2nd. It's the "effectively stripping the heads of the screw, as a side
effect" editorial that clogged my BS filter. An object being designed
to "cam out" is completely different from "stripping the heads."

Might bolster your discussion if you present an example where the
camming out of the driver is an integral part of use ~ such as drywall
screws for example where the head of the screw is slightly counter
sunk but not so deep that it has driven itself right through the
drywall.

I'm not the one who brought it up.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

J. Clarke[_2_] July 5th 11 03:04 AM

wood screws

In article , says...

wrote:
2nd. It's the "effectively stripping the heads of the screw, as a side
effect" editorial that clogged my BS filter. An object being designed
to "cam out" is completely different from "stripping the heads."

Might bolster your discussion if you present an example where the
camming out of the driver is an integral part of use ~ such as drywall
screws for example where the head of the screw is slightly counter
sunk but not so deep that it has driven itself right through the
drywall.

I'm not the one who brought it up.

Regardless of whether stripping the head is intentional, anybody who has
worked with Phillips screws knows that when they cam out the result is a
buggered up head that won't take much torque.

[email protected] July 5th 11 05:24 AM

wood screws

wrote:
2nd. It's the "effectively stripping the heads of the screw, as a side
effect" editorial that clogged my BS filter. An object being designed
to "cam out" is completely different from "stripping the heads."

Might bolster your discussion if you present an example where the
camming out of the driver is an integral part of use ~ such as drywall
screws for example where the head of the screw is slightly counter
sunk but not so deep that it has driven itself right through the
drywall.

How many care if a drywall screw has a buggered head.

Dave[_52_] July 5th 11 11:48 AM

wood screws

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 23:24:07 -0500, "
How many care if a drywall screw has a buggered head?

Many people if it's not inserted properly. A properly constructed
drywall screw cams out very easily when inserted by a professional
installer. Speed of installation and proper screw depth are an
important thing to people who earn their living by installing drywall.

Jack Stein July 5th 11 01:58 PM

wood screws

On 7/4/2011 3:21 PM, Eric wrote:
"Jack Stein" wrote in message ...

On 7/3/2011 7:36 PM, Eric wrote:

Square Head and Robertson are two different heads that people confuse.
Robertson heads have a tapered recess with a Morse taper that self-locks
onto the bit. The Phillips look-a-like square head does not. Robertson
has no numbers, but rather colors, to identify sizes.

I didn't know that, but regardless, my Swiss army knife doesn't have
that driver type, so when I'm sitting on Susie's deck and one of the
deck chairs a square head guy made her has a loose screw, my Swiss army
knife can't do much about it, so I prefer Phillips screws, but only for
reasons of consistency and commonality and they work good enough for me.

====================
Philips screw heads were designed to eliminate overtorquing them by
ensuring the tip of the screwdriver ramps out of the slot and
effectively stripping the heads of the screw, as a side effect.

Well the design fails as I seldom strip out a head, never on a drywall
screw, and have driven screws deep into wood, and have broken high
quality SS deck screws without ramping out of the slot. They may not be
as good as a Robertson, or a number of other designs, but certainly good
enough.

They suck and have been replaced by popular demand by many wanting a better
system.

Not quite yet, at least not in the US. When standard Swiss Army knife
comes with a Robertson driver instead of a Phillips, I'll believe the
Robertson is gaining ground:-)

But have a look at this! Just when you thought you had seen it all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

I've seen all those and used many of them, still prefer Phillips for the
same reason the Swiss Army Knife comes with a Phillips rather than say a
TP3 or even a Robertson...

--
Jack
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;

Jack Stein July 5th 11 02:46 PM

wood screws

On 7/4/2011 10:04 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In , says...

wrote:
2nd. It's the "effectively stripping the heads of the screw, as a side
effect" editorial that clogged my BS filter. An object being designed
to "cam out" is completely different from "stripping the heads."

Might bolster your discussion if you present an example where the
camming out of the driver is an integral part of use ~ such as drywall
screws for example where the head of the screw is slightly counter
sunk but not so deep that it has driven itself right through the
drywall.

I'm not the one who brought it up.

Regardless of whether stripping the head is intentional, anybody who has
worked with Phillips screws knows that when they cam out the result is a
buggered up head that won't take much torque.

Case hardened drywall screws don't end up with a buggered up heads.

With minimum effort, a quality Phillips head screw works just fine for
99% of wood shop needs. The advantages of other types of heads is
mitigated by the fact Swiss army knives come with Phillips head drivers,
and Aunt Bessy has a Phillips head screwdriver in her kitchen junk
drawer, and she has no clue what a hexalobular socket head, or a
Robertson is, let alone have a means to attack it. Since Phillips works
good enough with few problems, it is the screw of choice... In my shop.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Jack Stein July 5th 11 02:49 PM

wood screws

wrote:
2nd. It's the "effectively stripping the heads of the screw, as a side
effect" editorial that clogged my BS filter. An object being designed
to "cam out" is completely different from "stripping the heads."

Might bolster your discussion if you present an example where the
camming out of the driver is an integral part of use ~ such as drywall
screws for example where the head of the screw is slightly counter
sunk but not so deep that it has driven itself right through the
drywall.

How many care if a drywall screw has a buggered head.

The same number of people that use them. That's probably why they
make'm so the heads don't "bugger".

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Leon[_7_] July 5th 11 02:58 PM

wood screws

wrote:
2nd. It's the "effectively stripping the heads of the screw, as a side
effect" editorial that clogged my BS filter. An object being designed
to "cam out" is completely different from "stripping the heads."

Might bolster your discussion if you present an example where the
camming out of the driver is an integral part of use ~ such as drywall
screws for example where the head of the screw is slightly counter
sunk but not so deep that it has driven itself right through the
drywall.

I'm not the one who brought it up.

Regardless of whether stripping the head is intentional, anybody who has
worked with Phillips screws knows that when they cam out the result is a
buggered up head that won't take much torque.

Case hardened drywall screws don't end up with a buggered up heads.

Their heads seldom become none useful, you just hear the click when the
screw shank breaks.