Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood finish for bathroom?

I'm tossing around an idea in my head for a cubbyhole unit to hold
towels and such in my bathroom. It's a small bathroom (with a shower)
and the unit would be high up, where the wall meets the ceiling.

Every once in a while I build a simple wood project, but my finishing
knowledge is limited. I'd like to find something that looks decent,
provides good protection from moisture and is amenable to my modest
skill level.

Ideas?
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
I'm tossing around an idea in my head for a cubbyhole unit to hold
towels and such in my bathroom. It's a small bathroom (with a shower)
and the unit would be high up, where the wall meets the ceiling.

Every once in a while I build a simple wood project, but my finishing
knowledge is limited. I'd like to find something that looks decent,
provides good protection from moisture and is amenable to my modest
skill level.

Ideas?

Polyurethane. I have a vanity and the window trim of both my bathrooms
finished with poly and they are 33 years old and in good condition.

If you want paint, I'd go with an oil base if you can find it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

" wrote in message
I'm tossing around an idea in my head for a cubbyhole unit to hold
towels and such in my bathroom. It's a small bathroom (with a shower)
and the unit would be high up, where the wall meets the ceiling.

Every once in a while I build a simple wood project, but my finishing
knowledge is limited. I'd like to find something that looks decent,
provides good protection from moisture and is amenable to my modest
skill level.

Ideas?

Polyurethane. I have a vanity and the window trim of both my bathrooms
finished with poly and they are 33 years old and in good condition.

If you want paint, I'd go with an oil base if you can find it.

Benjamin Moore Impervo.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 May 2011 04:40:11 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I'm tossing around an idea in my head for a cubbyhole unit to hold
towels and such in my bathroom. It's a small bathroom (with a shower)
and the unit would be high up, where the wall meets the ceiling.

Every once in a while I build a simple wood project, but my finishing
knowledge is limited. I'd like to find something that looks decent,
provides good protection from moisture and is amenable to my modest
skill level.

Ideas?

Most finishes will work well in a bathroom if:

1) you have (and use) a fan.
and
2) the door isn't left closed all the time.

My favorite finish is Waterlox and it's easy to apply. I prefer
rubbing it on, but it can be brushed or sprayed.

Varnish (brush or can) , lacquer (from a can), or (if you must)
poly could be used. I'd avoid shellac with or without wax because
neither is a good water barrier.

Be sure to seal the cut ends of trim boards before putting them up.
And finish all sides, even those which are hidden, for best
protection.

Question: Why do you want to store towels up where the moisture is the
highest? People who take long, steamy showers could put too much
moisture into them if they didn't use the fan.

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 May 2011 08:57:44 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'd like to find something that looks decent,
provides good protection from moisture and is amenable to my modest
skill level.

Ideas?

Polyurethane. I have a vanity and the window trim of both my bathrooms
finished with poly and they are 33 years old and in good condition.

I'll add that oil based poly is preferable to water based poly in that
environment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 May 2011 23:48:17 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Sun, 29 May 2011 08:57:44 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'd like to find something that looks decent,
provides good protection from moisture and is amenable to my modest
skill level.

Ideas?

Polyurethane. I have a vanity and the window trim of both my bathrooms
finished with poly and they are 33 years old and in good condition.

I'll add that oil based poly is preferable to water based poly in that
environment.

Stain and poly are their own punishment.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 May 2011 02:29:24 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in news:c58b843e-3be5-426f-
:

I'm tossing around an idea in my head for a cubbyhole unit to hold
towels and such in my bathroom. It's a small bathroom (with a shower)
and the unit would be high up, where the wall meets the ceiling.

Every once in a while I build a simple wood project, but my finishing
knowledge is limited. I'd like to find something that looks decent,
provides good protection from moisture and is amenable to my modest
skill level.

Ideas?

I polyurethaned a shelf unit that hangs on the wall over the toilet. Made
of leftover ash. Made a quarter inch depression in 1 shelf for the jar
with cotton balls, to prevent the jar from sliding off and breaking when
landing on the toilet.

Just out of curiosity, Han, may I ask why you keep cotton balls on a
shelf over the terlit?

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 May 2011 01:36:46 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I was inspired by the Impervo thread, don'tcha know?

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
-- Pete Seeger
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all for the advice. Finishing the unseen edges (I'd probably
have forgotten the back edges) sounds like a particularly good tip.

Question: Why do you want to store towels up where the moisture is the
highest?

Small house, mostly. But that is certainly a point to consider.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 May 2011 07:33:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

wrote:
I'm tossing around an idea in my head for a cubbyhole unit to hold
towels and such in my bathroom. It's a small bathroom (with a shower)
and the unit would be high up, where the wall meets the ceiling.

Every once in a while I build a simple wood project, but my finishing
knowledge is limited. I'd like to find something that looks decent,
provides good protection from moisture and is amenable to my modest
skill level.

Ideas?

Most finishes will work well in a bathroom if:

1) Â*you have (and use) a fan.
and
2) the door isn't left closed all the time.

My favorite finish is Waterlox and it's easy to apply. I prefer
rubbing it on, but it can be brushed or sprayed.

Varnish (brush or can) , lacquer (from a can), or (if you must)
poly could be used. I'd avoid shellac with or without wax because
neither is a good water barrier.

Be sure to seal the cut ends of trim boards before putting them up.
And finish all sides, even those which are hidden, for best
protection.

Thanks to all for the advice. Finishing the unseen edges (I'd probably
have forgotten the back edges) sounds like a particularly good tip.

In higher-moisture areas, coating every surface is a good idea.

Question: Why do you want to store towels up where the moisture is the
highest?

Small house, mostly. But that is certainly a point to consider.

Get a good, quiet, high-volume fan and make sure it's used. It
shouldn't be a problem unless you have the chronic steamdweller who
doesn't like fans and does like closed doors.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
-- Pete Seeger
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Get a good, quiet, high-volume fan and make sure it's used. It
shouldn't be a problem unless you have the chronic steamdweller who
doesn't like fans and does like closed doors.

Echo Larry on that. You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a really
good hi volumne, very quiet fan for around $120. Seems like a lot compared
to the cheaper ones, but the cheaper ones sound like a wind tunnel and don't
end up moving much air. Don't take a short cut on a bathroom fan.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/30/11 2:27 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Question: Why do you want to store towels up where the moisture is the
highest?

Small house, mostly. But that is certainly a point to consider.

Get a good, quiet, high-volume fan and make sure it's used. It
shouldn't be a problem unless you have the chronic steamdweller who
doesn't like fans and does like closed doors.

More importantly, make sure the "exhaust" fan actually exhausts the air
to the outside.
I would venture a guess that at least 1/2 of the exhaust fans put in new
construction don't exhaust. All they do is irrigate the mold growing in
the insulation above them.

They should replace those things with a speaker that simply makes a fan
noise, because that's all most of them do, anyway. People like to have
the noise to give the illusion that no one hears them farting away, when
in fact, you can hear that stuff just fine in the living room. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote...
Larry Jaques wrote:

Get a good, quiet, high-volume fan and make sure it's used. It
shouldn't be a problem unless you have the chronic steamdweller who
doesn't like fans and does like closed doors.

Echo Larry on that. You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a
really good hi volumne, very quiet fan for around $120. Seems like a lot
compared to the cheaper ones, but the cheaper ones sound like a wind
tunnel and don't end up moving much air. Don't take a short cut on a
bathroom fan.

I always put the fan on a spring wound timer switch. That way I can be
certain that the moist air gets moved out and turn off afterwards. Also
good for the more noxious odors!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/30/11 4:41 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
I always put the fan on a spring wound timer switch. That way I can be
certain that the moist air gets moved out and turn off afterwards. Also
good for the more noxious odors!

I've been looking for a closeout deal on a timer switch for just the
fan, preferably digital.
I don't like the spring ones, because of that ratcheting sound they make.

Like you, I want to have it run long enough to get rid of what it needs
to get rid of, but not run for an hour.

I always wanted to invent a toilet with built in vacuum exhaust, so the
stink never gets to the room. But alas someone in Japan beat me to it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

wrote:

. ..

:

[...]

Well, to enlighten the un#$@%^&, uhhum, and it does pain me to have to
confess this, it is because the bathroom doesn't have another place for
them to hide in. Unless remodeled to the nth degree, the simple homes
here in Radburn http://radburn.org dating from ~1929 are quite spartan.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/30/2011 4:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I always wanted to invent a toilet with built in vacuum exhaust, so the
stink never gets to the room. But alas someone in Japan beat me to it.

Stink? What stink??

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 May 2011 17:41:30 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote...
Larry Jaques wrote:

Get a good, quiet, high-volume fan and make sure it's used. It
shouldn't be a problem unless you have the chronic steamdweller who
doesn't like fans and does like closed doors.

Echo Larry on that. You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a
really good hi volumne, very quiet fan for around $120. Seems like a lot
compared to the cheaper ones, but the cheaper ones sound like a wind
tunnel and don't end up moving much air. Don't take a short cut on a
bathroom fan.

I always put the fan on a spring wound timer switch. That way I can be
certain that the moist air gets moved out and turn off afterwards. Also
good for the more noxious odors!

Excellent idea, Lee. http://goo.gl/5SiG8 Under $12.

One other thought: for a high-volume fan, you might need to take 1/4"
off the bottom of the bathroom door for easier airflow if the carpet
is up to it in the hallway.

P.S: NuTone is my least favorite brand. Broan and Kohler are great.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
-- Pete Seeger

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 5/30/2011 4:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I always wanted to invent a toilet with built in vacuum exhaust, so the
stink never gets to the room. But alas someone in Japan beat me to it.

Stink? What stink??

I don need no steenking vent fan. My sheet don steenk!

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 May 2011 22:12:29 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

:

[...]

I believe you. Old houses don't have the storage our new ones do.
Clutterbugs like me couldn't live in them.

Here's one help for you, should you decide you like cutting holes in
walls: http://www.architecturaldepot.com/NC...-p-niches.html
http://www.picable.com/Places/Home/Wall-niche.1991 overkill?

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
-- Pete Seeger
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 May 2011 17:48:47 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 5/30/2011 4:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I always wanted to invent a toilet with built in vacuum exhaust, so the
stink never gets to the room. But alas someone in Japan beat me to it.

Stink? What stink??

Uses Festools and his s don't s. Oy vay.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
-- Pete Seeger
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 30 May 2011 22:12:29 GMT, Han wrote:

snip
Well, to enlighten the un#$@%^&, uhhum, and it does pain me to have to
confess this, it is because the bathroom doesn't have another place for
them to hide in. Unless remodeled to the nth degree, the simple homes
here in Radburn http://radburn.org dating from ~1929 are quite
spartan.

I believe you. Old houses don't have the storage our new ones do.
Clutterbugs like me couldn't live in them.

Here's one help for you, should you decide you like cutting holes in
walls: http://www.architecturaldepot.com/NC...-p-niches.html
http://www.picable.com/Places/Home/Wall-niche.1991 overkill?

I've thought about something like that last link. But not before we've
decided on how and whether to remodel the bathroom.

--
Best regards
Han

Water impervious surface finish for bathroom Clive UK diy 12 January 16th 10 12:57 AM
Finish on light wood/sap wood Ted Woodturning 5 April 12th 08 12:40 AM
Cedar finish for bathroom item Chrisgiraffe Woodworking 9 November 2nd 07 03:50 PM
bathroom wall finish tom patton UK diy 0 January 7th 06 01:43 PM
Bathroom Ceiling Finish rakster UK diy 1 July 10th 03 12:04 PM