Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anvil (found)

A 100# anvil with "England" and "JB" cast on it will be auctioned
locally at an estate auction house tomorrow. My online "research"
indicates the JB stands for John Brooks and that it made before WW-II. I
think it is in "good" condition. I assume an anvil worth shipping from
England is probably a decent anvil...

I'll report the selling price tomorrow (for the sake of anyone who is
interested)! Any hints on what a fair bid would be? I'd enjoy getting
it for less than a fair bid! : )

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 May 2011 01:57:58 -0400, Bill wrote:

A 100# anvil with "England" and "JB" cast on it will be auctioned
locally at an estate auction house tomorrow. My online "research"
indicates the JB stands for John Brooks and that it made before WW-II. I
think it is in "good" condition. I assume an anvil worth shipping from
England is probably a decent anvil...

I'll report the selling price tomorrow (for the sake of anyone who is
interested)! Any hints on what a fair bid would be? I'd enjoy getting
it for less than a fair bid! : )

Bill

If it is in good condition, $5.00 to $7.00 a pound.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2011 01:57:58 -0400, Bill wrote:

A 100# anvil with "England" and "JB" cast on it will be auctioned
locally at an estate auction house tomorrow. My online "research"
indicates the JB stands for John Brooks and that it made before WW-II. I
think it is in "good" condition. I assume an anvil worth shipping from
England is probably a decent anvil...

I'll report the selling price tomorrow (for the sake of anyone who is
interested)! Any hints on what a fair bid would be? I'd enjoy getting
it for less than a fair bid! : )

Bill

If it is in good condition, $5.00 to $7.00 a pound.

basilisk

By good, I meant in between fair and very good. So to me your price
sounds pretty steep--but I'm off to go find out. Thanks,

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 May 2011 08:18:39 -0400, Bill wrote:

basilisk wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2011 01:57:58 -0400, Bill wrote:

A 100# anvil with "England" and "JB" cast on it will be auctioned
locally at an estate auction house tomorrow. My online "research"
indicates the JB stands for John Brooks and that it made before WW-II. I
think it is in "good" condition. I assume an anvil worth shipping from
England is probably a decent anvil...

I'll report the selling price tomorrow (for the sake of anyone who is
interested)! Any hints on what a fair bid would be? I'd enjoy getting
it for less than a fair bid! : )

Bill

If it is in good condition, $5.00 to $7.00 a pound.

basilisk

By good, I meant in between fair and very good. So to me your price
sounds pretty steep--but I'm off to go find out. Thanks,

Bill

no argument from me, it is steep, but consider that there
hasn't been a proper anvil made in the US for over 50
years and never will be again.

Depending on who shows up at the sale you may get it for
next to nothing, all the better.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

A 100# anvil with "England" and "JB" cast on it will be auctioned
locally at an estate auction house tomorrow. My online "research"
indicates the JB stands for John Brooks and that it made before WW-II. I
think it is in "good" condition. I assume an anvil worth shipping from
England is probably a decent anvil...
Bill

Here's some anvil info from my other half who studies blacksmithing...

"... http://anvils.co.uk/products/list/12 these guys own Brooks name
anvils, a decent anvil more common in UK (since they are made there)
but a few are in the hands of blacksmiths here as well. seem to be a
good anvil from the reviews I have read..."

At least that might give you a cost comparison.

`Casper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/18/2011 7:42 AM, basilisk wrote:

no argument from me, it is steep, but consider that there
hasn't been a proper anvil made in the US for over 50
years and never will be again.

I have a farrier's anvil I bought new in 1972 that has always done
exactly what it was intended for. What would make it more proper?

Not arguing, just wondering ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:09:45 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 5/18/2011 7:42 AM, basilisk wrote:

no argument from me, it is steep, but consider that there
hasn't been a proper anvil made in the US for over 50
years and never will be again.

I have a farrier's anvil I bought new in 1972 that has always done
exactly what it was intended for. What would make it more proper?

Not arguing, just wondering ...

A good anvil will have a cast semi steel base and a slab of
high carbon tool steel forge welded to the top.

That combination will provide good rebound and make for a long life
anvil that will survive even heavy work.

Rebound is essential to keep from wearing the smith out.

A cheap cast anvil will cover most of what people need to do
these days but someone making forged knives or handmade
wrought iron work in volume would need better equipment.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:
[...]

basilisk, thank you for providing an anvil link--I bookmarked it.

The two 100# anvils, one marked "JB" and one marked "Brooks" went for
$190 and $175 (that's about double what I wanted to spend based upon my
current actual anvil needs).

I did pick up a Stanley Bailey #7 (jointer plane)for $40, and a "double
lifetime-supply" of Stanley plane irons and some other parts for $35. I
intend that the blades should be ir'n enough to help me practice
sharpening and to use in wooden planes I may build some day.
Given that the auctions lasts 3-4 hours, one feels the need to buy
something to recoup some of the value of the time invested!

The 2nd half of this action is next week (and I suspect they'll have a
couple more anvils like brethren of the ones they had today...). And
more boxes and boxes of Stanley "5 1/4" planes..all remnants of the
(long?) defunct Indianapolis high school woodworking program. There were
no large power tools/machinery. My understanding is that the school
district was just "cleaning house".

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:09:45 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 5/18/2011 7:42 AM, basilisk wrote:

no argument from me, it is steep, but consider that there
hasn't been a proper anvil made in the US for over 50
years and never will be again.

I have a farrier's anvil I bought new in 1972 that has always done
exactly what it was intended for. What would make it more proper?

Not arguing, just wondering ...

A good anvil will have a cast semi steel base and a slab of
high carbon tool steel forge welded to the top.

If such an anvil were not painted, would this division be visible
(if so, it may be a helpful way for those of us who are novices to
discriminate between anvils)?

Bill

That combination will provide good rebound and make for a long life
anvil that will survive even heavy work.

Rebound is essential to keep from wearing the smith out.

A cheap cast anvil will cover most of what people need to do
these days but someone making forged knives or handmade
wrought iron work in volume would need better equipment.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
Swingman writes:
On 5/18/2011 7:42 AM, basilisk wrote:

no argument from me, it is steep, but consider that there
hasn't been a proper anvil made in the US for over 50
years and never will be again.

I have a farrier's anvil I bought new in 1972 that has always done
exactly what it was intended for.

Ever drop it on a coyote?

--
Drew Lawson | What is an "Oprah"?
| -- Teal'c

Posted to rec.woodworking

Drew Lawson wrote the following:
In article
Swingman writes:

On 5/18/2011 7:42 AM, basilisk wrote:

no argument from me, it is steep, but consider that there
hasn't been a proper anvil made in the US for over 50
years and never will be again.

I have a farrier's anvil I bought new in 1972 that has always done
exactly what it was intended for.

Ever drop it on a coyote?

????
A farrier's anvil is used to make horseshoes.
I don't get the connection.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman writes:

On 5/18/2011 7:42 AM, basilisk wrote:

no argument from me, it is steep, but consider that there
hasn't been a proper anvil made in the US for over 50
years and never will be again.

I have a farrier's anvil I bought new in 1972 that has always done
exactly what it was intended for.

Ever drop it on a coyote?

????
A farrier's anvil is used to make horseshoes.
I don't get the connection.

he means will e coyote

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
The 2nd half of this action is next week (and I suspect they'll have a
couple more anvils like brethren of the ones they had today...). And more
boxes and boxes of Stanley "5 1/4" planes..all remnants of the (long?)
defunct Indianapolis high school woodworking program. There were no large
power tools/machinery. My understanding is that the school district was
just "cleaning house".

Bill

The best anvils are one piece. The second best is cast steel with a tool
steel slab welded to it. Quality goes down from there. Something yoiu
might want to read:

http://www.beautifuliron.com/gs_anvils.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman writes:

On 5/18/2011 7:42 AM, basilisk wrote:

no argument from me, it is steep, but consider that there
hasn't been a proper anvil made in the US for over 50
years and never will be again.

I have a farrier's anvil I bought new in 1972 that has always done
exactly what it was intended for.

Ever drop it on a coyote?

????
A farrier's anvil is used to make horseshoes.
I don't get the connection.

You never watched the Road Runner?

Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:
[...]

snip

I didn't, I believe that was Casper.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:

The best anvils are one piece. The second best is cast steel with a tool
steel slab welded to it. Quality goes down from there. Something yoiu
might want to read:

http://www.beautifuliron.com/gs_anvils.htm

Thanks CW, Interesting site. I read most and will revisit.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman writes:

On 5/18/2011 7:42 AM, basilisk wrote:

no argument from me, it is steep, but consider that there
hasn't been a proper anvil made in the US for over 50
years and never will be again.

I have a farrier's anvil I bought new in 1972 that has always done
exactly what it was intended for.

Ever drop it on a coyote?

????
A farrier's anvil is used to make horseshoes.
I don't get the connection.

Silly joke. As others have noted, the character Wile E. Coyote
attempted to catch the Road Runner with Rube Goldberg setups,
implimented with the help of Acme Equipment(TM).

Many attempts involved mis-engineered methods of dropping an anvil
from a cliff to smash the bird. Of course, these ended up smashing
him.

(This used to be childhood entertainment.)

--
Drew Lawson | It's not enough to be alive
| when your future's been deferred
Posted to rec.woodworking

"willshak" wrote in message ...
Drew Lawson wrote the following:

Ever drop it on a coyote?

????
A farrier's anvil is used to make horseshoes.
I don't get the connection.

Ahhh..., you must be cartoon challenged. Or perhaps that particular cartoon
is dated now. Do a search on roadrunner cartoon. Anvils are featured
prominently in these cartoons.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman writes:

On 5/18/2011 7:42 AM, basilisk wrote:

no argument from me, it is steep, but consider that there
hasn't been a proper anvil made in the US for over 50
years and never will be again.

I have a farrier's anvil I bought new in 1972 that has always done
exactly what it was intended for.

Ever drop it on a coyote?

????
A farrier's anvil is used to make horseshoes.
I don't get the connection.

he means will e coyote

Wile E. Coyote.

Never shot into the air, either?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhQ4dE_RGnQ SINNERS!

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctively native American criminal class except Congress.
Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:09:45 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 5/18/2011 7:42 AM, basilisk wrote:

no argument from me, it is steep, but consider that there
hasn't been a proper anvil made in the US for over 50
years and never will be again.

I have a farrier's anvil I bought new in 1972 that has always done
exactly what it was intended for. What would make it more proper?

Not arguing, just wondering ...

A good anvil will have a cast semi steel base and a slab of
high carbon tool steel forge welded to the top.

That combination will provide good rebound and make for a long life
anvil that will survive even heavy work.

Rebound is essential to keep from wearing the smith out.

A cheap cast anvil will cover most of what people need to do
these days but someone making forged knives or handmade
wrought iron work in volume would need better equipment.

I bought it from a farrier supply in OK when I attended Bud Beaston's
Oklahoma Farriers College after getting out of the service in 1972, and
used it to shoe horses full time for the next six years, and well after
that for our own horses. I pounded lots of hot iron during that time doing
gaited horses and later found it easier to use than my paternal, blacksmith
grandfather's anvil from the turn of the century. Had a chance to change
but liked the feel of the newer one better ( and of course it was a
different shape), it weighs about 85lb, about 20 lbs lighter. I suspect it
is a good anvil (it was their top of the line at the time, not cheap ...
The Festool of it's class, IIRC. :) ) Dad still has it and uses it on
occasion but I haven't laid eyes on it, or thought about it, for a good
twenty five years. Next time I go up, I'm going to check it out.

Thanks for the impetus, and memories ...

--
www.ewoodshop.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman writes:

On 5/18/2011 7:42 AM, basilisk wrote:

no argument from me, it is steep, but consider that there
hasn't been a proper anvil made in the US for over 50
years and never will be again.

I have a farrier's anvil I bought new in 1972 that has always done
exactly what it was intended for.

Ever drop it on a coyote?

????
A farrier's anvil is used to make horseshoes.
I don't get the connection.

he means will e coyote

Oh, OK. If he had mentioned Wile E Coyote, I would have gotten the joke.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 18, 2:05*pm, basilisk wrote:
[...]

As a kid, I was a blacksmith's helper. I am talking about 7-8 yrs old.
The blacksmith in question was a client of my dad's firm and he always
got a kick out of my curiosity. Most of the 'work' was wire-brushing
grates out of coal-burning space heaters and sweeping. On a lucky day,
I would get to watch him putting new shoes on a horse and if I was
really lucky, one of those horses would be huge and would be wearing
socks (or so I was told). In retrospect those must have been Belgians.
I would always cringe and worry about the hot shoes hitting the
hooves...and that smell.. I will never forget that smell.
The shop was old school back then. Bellows and a huge anvil. He'd
start 'smithing' by bouncing the hammer on the anvil then hit the work
piece and then bouncing on the anvil again, to keep it going. (I
thought he was missing all the time...)
Definitely one of my better memories.
One horse, called Vesuvius, had an ass so big, it almost completely
darkened the shed's door.... and when it took a ****, you better stand
waaaay back.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/18/2011 4:16 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In articlem5KdnehyxtjPYE7QnZ2dnUVZ_rudnZ2d@giganews. com
writes:

On 5/18/2011 7:42 AM, basilisk wrote:

no argument from me, it is steep, but consider that there
hasn't been a proper anvil made in the US for over 50
years and never will be again.

I have a farrier's anvil I bought new in 1972 that has always done
exactly what it was intended for.

Ever drop it on a coyote?

????
A farrier's anvil is used to make horseshoes.
I don't get the connection.

Silly joke. As others have noted, the character Wile E. Coyote
attempted to catch the Road Runner with Rube Goldberg setups,
implimented with the help of Acme Equipment(TM).

Many attempts involved mis-engineered methods of dropping an anvil
from a cliff to smash the bird. Of course, these ended up smashing
him.

(This used to be childhood entertainment.)

It was better that a dumb cartoon about a car that changes in to a man.
Posted to rec.woodworking

writes:

[...]

.... or the TV series called, "My Mother the Car"
I never saw it, but I heard it featured the voice of one of my favorite
actresses, Anne Sothern.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
The Festool of it's class, IIRC. :) ) Dad still has it and uses it on
occasion but I haven't laid eyes on it, or thought about it, for a good
twenty five years. Next time I go up, I'm going to check it out.

Thanks for the impetus, and memories ...

That reminds me of the "anvil" I inherited from my father. It was a foot
long piece of railroad track. I still use it on occasion when I need an
unwielding surface to hammer on.

It also does dual duty at Christmas time. Several times I've put it in the
same box with some small Christmas present. It's always good for a laugh
watching someone trying to pick the box up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 May 2011 15:38:03 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

On May 18, 2:05Â*pm, basilisk wrote:
[...]

My Grandfathers brother was a blacksmith and mechanic, he was uptown
with a hand crank blower for the forge, powering the blower and
the hand crank drill press were my duties.

There was no such thing as scrap iron in his hands, everything could
become something useful.

I wish that he had remained healthy enough and lived long enough
for me to have learned more of the craft and its finer points.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 18, 8:22*pm, basilisk wrote:
[...]

I did learn from this guy. His favourite saying was: (and I translate
loosely) "When it needs to be done and I have done it, I'm done."
Simple, really.
Posted to rec.woodworking

This thread brings back memories of an old skit I saw on the Carol
Burnett show long ago... It was a take-off on "Death of a Salesman."
Mickey Rooney played the long suffering Willie Loman, and complained
of how his job as a door-to-door saleman was wearing him down, and how
his cases seemed heavier year after year. The biggest laugh of the
skit came when Rooney said, "I guess the world just doesn't need
anvils anymore."

Anvil for sale Cross-Slide Metalworking 0 March 31st 11 09:30 PM
anvil question kc[_3_] Metalworking 23 December 30th 08 04:19 PM
Anvil resurface Stupendous Man Metalworking 13 September 26th 08 01:09 AM
03/17/07 Reuters: Two bodies found in Mosul: The bodies of two men and two women were found in various districts of Mosul on Friday. Two infants were found alive beside the two dead women, police said. BGKM Woodworking 0 March 17th 07 08:14 PM
anvil John G UK diy 12 February 9th 05 09:31 PM