Posted to rec.woodworking

Default WWII Footlocker refinishing

This weekend I received my father's foot locker that he used in WWII.
It is in good condition, with some cosmetic problems.

I am looking for ideas from people who have restored one of these old
foot lockers.

First there are a couple of area on the outside that seems to be "De
laminating" It seems the surfaces is torn loose. Any ideas the best
way to fix this?

There are stains on the fabric used for the inside limning. Any ideas
on how to clean it.

Finally the outside looks "dusty"? Is there any way to restore it as it
was when new.

While Dad did not get the opportunity to do any fighting, he and the
footlocker went all over the US, and after the bomb, immediately became
part of the occupying forces in Japan. When Dad returned, the locker
was stored in the attic of my parents home for old receipts and similar
papers, It was used for this purpose until about 10 years ago when Dad
died and Mom moved to an apartment.

My idea is to use it for old pictures and papers. ( I am into genealogy
and some are recent copies but there are others that may date from the
1820's, Any comments on the appropriateness for this purpose.
Posted to rec.woodworking

k-nuttle wrote the following:
[...]

Leave it as is.
It'll probably be worth more in the future than if you messed with it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

"k-nuttle" wrote in message
This weekend I received my father's foot locker that he used in WWII. It
is in good condition, with some cosmetic problems.

I am looking for ideas from people who have restored one of these old foot
lockers.

First there are a couple of area on the outside that seems to be "De
laminating" It seems the surfaces is torn loose. Any ideas the best way
to fix this?

There are stains on the fabric used for the inside limning. Any ideas on
how to clean it.

Finally the outside looks "dusty"? Is there any way to restore it as it
was when new.

If it was anything like my footlocker, it came that way ...