Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fluorescent Lighting for Shop/Garage

Probably all of the regular readers hear are as familiar as they care to
be with my "shop lighting" plans. So I won't belabor them again.
Earlier, I was advised here to seek out "5000K" T8 bulbs. Reviewing my
notes, I saw I wrote that down a few times! : )

Today I headed out into to cruel, understocked world, to pick up a
few items to begin my lighting experiments. Prices were noticeably
better at the BORGs than online. Along with a few fixtures I came home
with the bulbs:

Sylvania ("Spectre Maximal"), T8, 32w, 5000K, 1800 Lumens, CRI-90.

When I got home I noticed that Phillips has a bulb: T8, 32w, 5000K, 2850
Lumens, CRI-85. I believe Home Depot had those in boxes of 25 (only),
which is why I passed them up while I was there.

I came home with a few of the first sort from Menards. It's the
difference in "Lumens output" which has me concerned:

In Sylvania's catalog, their bulbs above (1800 Lumens output) were
suggested for "display, signage and backlighting". This is leading me
to believe that they may be inappropriate. ***Agree???*** Please
advise me whether I should return what I have and get a box of the
Phillips bulbs. Any other comments which will further my education
about this are of course welcome too!

BTW, In Sylvania's cataglog, it says that 850 Lumens ~ 60 Watt
incandescent bulb. I'm not sure if multiples of this relation are
meaningful (probably not). BTW2, I did notice that the Lumens Output
listed is a "nominal measurement" (ha) --one may be doing well to
actually get 80% of it.

I finally got a big binder last night to hold my plans and designs in.
That's got to be better than the approach I was using.

For those of you who remember my broken dishwasher: It washed and
washed at 100 decibels or more for the past few months (I was adhering
to the suggested "if it's not *really* broke, then don't fix it"
principle). About a week ago it tripped the GFCI switch it was on
leaving my poor wife to bail the dishwasher out by hand. I noticed a
10% sale at Lowes last week, and got an additional 5% for getting a
Lowes CC, so I bit the bullet. I pondered how many light fixtures and
wire you can get for the price of a new dishwasher, but as my wife seem
to take pride in pointing out..they don't wash dishes! ; )

Sorry if I've distracted you, my main concern is about those 2
categories of 5000K, T8 bulbs.

Thank you,
Bill

Shop Lighting - Fluorescent bulb with warning sticker won't work [email protected] Woodworking 6 January 6th 08 05:16 AM
fluorescent lighting bad for you?? sparty Home Repair 17 April 11th 06 12:28 AM
Fluorescent lighting Rumble UK diy 0 February 7th 06 05:19 PM
Fluorescent lighting Sponix UK diy 0 February 7th 06 03:27 PM
fluorescent lighting stuart noble UK diy 17 October 15th 04 10:25 PM