Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Are big drawers a bad idea?

Well, after a design consult with the bride, I have decided to go with 4 drawers instead of 2. So there will be six altogether. The top holes in the face frame are 4" x 16", the 4 bottom ones will be 9 1/2" x 16".

Anyway, this being said, the next question is slides. I have gotten a lot of links to sites for these but none really tell me how they get installed, at least on the site. I'm sure stuff comes with them. So, at the risk of taking this thread in another direction I need to ask a simple (for you) question.

The distance from the front of the face frame to the back of the carcass is 22 1/2". I want to use undermount soft close heavy duty slides. Blume has 21". How adjustable is the back of these things? Do they adjust at all or do I get exactly 21" and I need to build the back of the carcass out to meet them?

Again WWYD?

Thanks for all the advice,
Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2011 6:33 AM, jtpr wrote:
Well, after a design consult with the bride, I have decided to go with 4 drawers instead of 2. So there will be six altogether. The top holes in the face frame are 4" x 16", the 4 bottom ones will be 9 1/2" x 16".

Anyway, this being said, the next question is slides. I have gotten a lot of links to sites for these but none really tell me how they get installed, at least on the site. I'm sure stuff comes with them. So, at the risk of taking this thread in another direction I need to ask a simple (for you) question.

The distance from the front of the face frame to the back of the carcass is 22 1/2". I want to use undermount soft close heavy duty slides. Blume has 21". How adjustable is the back of these things? Do they adjust at all or do I get exactly 21" and I need to build the back of the carcass out to meet them?

The size of your drawer slides in that space will depend upon whether
you need to use 'rear mounting brackets' that come as accessories to
most slides.

You can download installation instructions on most manufacturer's
website for the particulars.

With face frame cabinets, if you can attach the drawer slides to the
BOTH sides of your DRAWER OPENING using a spacer, you don't need the
"rear mounting brackets", thus the maximum length slide you can use in a
22 1/2" depth cabinet would be a 22" drawer slide.

Here is how to do that:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...rawerSlideJig#

CAVEAT: With most soft close undermount slides you MUST build your
drawer LENGTH to the size of the drawer slide ... IOW, the drawer length
for the a 22" undermount drawer slide would usually be 22".

CAVEAT: with most undermount drawer slides the drawer WIDTH, the drawer
HEIGHT, and the DISTANCE from the drawer bottom to the bottom of the
drawer sides are CRITICAL dimensions and decided by the specs for the
slide you want to use.

With most undermount drawer slides you also need to drill two shallow
holes in the drawer back for the undermount part of the slide to hook
into the back of the drawer.

IOW, with drawer slides, and particularly with undermount drawer slides,
the drawer MUST be build to exacting specs for the type and brand of
drawer slide being used.

Therefore, in this situation it is most important to buy the slides you
want to use BEFORE you start building drawers.

This will insure that you build the drawers to the manufacturer's specs
for that type of slide; and that you actually are in possession of the
slides themselves, as the drawer built for a particular undermount slide
will likely not work with other brands and sizes.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:

[...]

They have very little adjustment in them , usally a slot about 6mm

If you go on to the blum or hafele website you will find all the
infomation you need
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"jtpr" wrote in message
[...]