DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Free Books (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/321370-free-books.html)

Larry Jaques[_3_] April 8th 11 12:39 AM

Free Books

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:39:35 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
m...
On 4/6/2011 3:01 PM, Han wrote:

I'm talking about the iPad replacing my laptop. Can it run Word, Excel,
Quicken, Photoshop, or their equivalents?

Bluetooth a keyboard to it and the iPad quite comfortably creates and
edits most Office products - Word, Excel, Powerpoint.

Quicken, Photoshop, CAD ... the tablet OS is still a bit immature for
fullblown apps of this type at this point, but, and it's a big BUT ....

I suspect that very few people ever use the full potential of full blown
apps.

Perhaps not, but the apps themselves tax the hell out of operating
systems and the attached hardware. Adobe is notorious for it.

John Gage of Sun was prescient when he uttered the phrase "... the network
is the computer ..." With the advent of cloud computing, the "net" is
indeed quickly "becoming the computer" and it won't be long before you
won't need local copies of programs like Photoshop ... as above, you don't
need most Office Suite software as we speak, which can be accessed on the
cloud via any device that can run an http client.

As long as you are in range of a satellite, at the very least, and are
willing to pay the connect charges.

And willing to accept the horrible latency delays of sat
transmissions. When I had Starband sat Internet, I found that for
small files, I could use a 21kbs dialup connection and get a faster
upload than I could with the sat. Blew me away, it did. It had
screaming fast downloads, though. Another problem is a penchance for
uppity conections during even the slightest rainstorm and complete
outages in any kind of snowstorm. I'm much happier with DSL.

And for largescale dataswapping, wireless is still not ready for
primetime, IMnsHO.

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Lobby Dosser[_3_] April 8th 11 06:19 AM

Free Books

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:01:45 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
om...
On 4/6/2011 7:44 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in

For a contractor, one of the best tools around for day to day
operations.

I was kidding of course!
I believe it from what I've heard about it. It's NOT a deductible
expense
for a retiree like me, although it is an option when this laptop dies.

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any similar
tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these days. ;)

I have a tablet that runs the Android OS. Google makes Android. Google
makes
SketchUp.

Rassssberrry! :o)

What are you guys paying for voice/data packages per month?

Mine is Frontier (formerly Verizon). Pay $99 for phone/net/tv with unlimited
domestic long distance. Was worried about Frontier taking over but so far -
knock wood - everything's been OK. From my perspective, Verizon Service was
terrific and Frontier inherited the people. Had the internet and got the tv
as soon as they had the line. Comcast SUCKED.

Swingman April 8th 11 12:15 PM

Free Books

On 4/7/2011 6:38 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

What are you guys paying for voice/data packages per month?

My business DroidX smartphone, unlimited data/1300 voice, with all the
taxes and gotcha's, is consistently +/- $123/month (which includes the
mandatory $20/month unlimited data plan).

My iPad2 (actually assigned a 10 digit phone number by Verizon for 3G
cellular data) is $20/month for 1 GB data; no contract, can be turned
off or on at will and you can pony up for more in advance as needed (an
extra $15/month gets you 3GB data, etc.)

With the iPad, I keep the Cellular turned off 98% of the time. I average
about 200MB of 3G cellular data through the device each month, well
below the 1GB max. (there is a cellular data usage monitor built-into
the iPad). Use the iPad with WiFi whenever possible, either my own at
home/office, or a clients location, and 3G only as needed when no WiFi
is available (in a large urban area some type of WiFi is available
almost everywhere you go these days ... hell, my phone sees available
networks when stopped at red lights/traffic.)

uVerse high speed internet for home/home office is $65/month for
unlimited/18GB download speed, with built-in wireless router in the RG.

Wife and daughter use their "WiFi only" iPads at home and work ... they
are both big NetFlix fans and watch movies/videos on their iPads almost
nightly over the uVerse WiFi at home at no extra data cost ... so far).

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Swingman April 8th 11 12:36 PM

Free Books

On 4/7/2011 6:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

And for largescale dataswapping, wireless is still not ready for
primetime, IMnsHO.

Terminology? ... "wireless" is used for "largescale" data streaming all
the time ... streaming HD video over wireless is a large scale data
stream by most any measure. It's why devices like SlingBox and Apple TV
are becoming increasingly popular.

Granted, it depends upon where you live. With an 18GB uVerse connection
at home, I consistently get 16GB+ download speeds sitting in my recliner
streaming HD video and movies to my iPad with no problems ... and that's
"wireless", Bubba! g

Apple's "Home Sharing" streams music and videos, via uVerse's built-in
wireless router and iTunes on my old Dell laptop, to my iPad anywhere in
the house or yard with no hiccups.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Larry Jaques[_3_] April 8th 11 09:33 PM

Free Books

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 22:19:15 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
news:75adnZ1cqMxI_wHQnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d@giganews. com...
On 4/6/2011 7:44 AM, Han wrote:
[...]

Do you have limited local phone hours, or Internet?

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Larry Jaques[_3_] April 8th 11 09:58 PM

Free Books

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 06:15:49 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 4/7/2011 6:38 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

What are you guys paying for voice/data packages per month?

My business DroidX smartphone, unlimited data/1300 voice, with all the
taxes and gotcha's, is consistently +/- $123/month (which includes the
mandatory $20/month unlimited data plan).

OUCH!

My iPad2 (actually assigned a 10 digit phone number by Verizon for 3G
cellular data) is $20/month for 1 GB data; no contract, can be turned
off or on at will and you can pony up for more in advance as needed (an
extra $15/month gets you 3GB data, etc.)

Is this an add-on to the Droid account?

With the iPad, I keep the Cellular turned off 98% of the time. I average
about 200MB of 3G cellular data through the device each month, well
below the 1GB max. (there is a cellular data usage monitor built-into
the iPad). Use the iPad with WiFi whenever possible, either my own at
home/office, or a clients location, and 3G only as needed when no WiFi
is available (in a large urban area some type of WiFi is available
almost everywhere you go these days ... hell, my phone sees available
networks when stopped at red lights/traffic.)

There are -very- few WiFi spots here, and the closest are in downtown
Grass Pants. That's one price I pay for a serene rural setting.

uVerse high speed internet for home/home office is $65/month for
unlimited/18GB download speed, with built-in wireless router in the RG.

18Mbps, not GB. But my query was primarily for smart phone packages.

Wife and daughter use their "WiFi only" iPads at home and work ... they
are both big NetFlix fans and watch movies/videos on their iPads almost
nightly over the uVerse WiFi at home at no extra data cost ... so far).

Oh, a wireless DSL router?

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Swingman April 8th 11 10:25 PM

Free Books

On 4/8/2011 3:58 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 06:15:49 -0500, wrote:

On 4/7/2011 6:38 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

What are you guys paying for voice/data packages per month?

My business DroidX smartphone, unlimited data/1300 voice, with all the
taxes and gotcha's, is consistently +/- $123/month (which includes the
mandatory $20/month unlimited data plan).

OUCH!

Not bad for a business account. Our internet company phone bill for two
was in the range of $800/mo about ten years ago.

My iPad2 (actually assigned a 10 digit phone number by Verizon for 3G
cellular data) is $20/month for 1 GB data; no contract, can be turned
off or on at will and you can pony up for more in advance as needed (an
extra $15/month gets you 3GB data, etc.)

Is this an add-on to the Droid account?

Nope, separate account ... and managed from the device itself only.

uVerse high speed internet for home/home office is $65/month for
unlimited/18GB download speed, with built-in wireless router in the RG.

18Mbps, not GB. But my query was primarily for smart phone packages.

Tip of the slung ... too many typing "3G".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Larry Jaques[_3_] April 9th 11 02:17 AM

Free Books

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 16:25:22 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 4/8/2011 3:58 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 06:15:49 -0500, wrote:

On 4/7/2011 6:38 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

What are you guys paying for voice/data packages per month?

My business DroidX smartphone, unlimited data/1300 voice, with all the
taxes and gotcha's, is consistently +/- $123/month (which includes the
mandatory $20/month unlimited data plan).

OUCH!

Not bad for a business account. Our internet company phone bill for two
was in the range of $800/mo about ten years ago.

Yeah, that is a definite improvement.

My iPad2 (actually assigned a 10 digit phone number by Verizon for 3G
cellular data) is $20/month for 1 GB data; no contract, can be turned
off or on at will and you can pony up for more in advance as needed (an
extra $15/month gets you 3GB data, etc.)

Is this an add-on to the Droid account?

Nope, separate account ... and managed from the device itself only.

Hmm, nice!

uVerse high speed internet for home/home office is $65/month for
unlimited/18GB download speed, with built-in wireless router in the RG.

18Mbps, not GB. But my query was primarily for smart phone packages.

Tip of the slung ... too many typing "3G".

Thot so.

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Larry Jaques[_3_] April 9th 11 02:28 AM

Free Books

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 06:36:50 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 4/7/2011 6:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

And for largescale dataswapping, wireless is still not ready for
primetime, IMnsHO.

Terminology? ... "wireless" is used for "largescale" data streaming all
the time ... streaming HD video over wireless is a large scale data
stream by most any measure. It's why devices like SlingBox and Apple TV
are becoming increasingly popular.

I shoulda used "cellular" instead of "wireless." Hell, they can't
even guarantee that I'll hear all the words the cell user is speaking
or that they'll hear what I'm saying, or that the line won't be
dropped as my sister drives around in the Bay area. I don't think
I've ever heard every word spoken during any given cell conversation.
It just sucks! The fadeouts of old tech are replaced by garbling or
muting of new tech. I guess the data integrity schemes in cellular
are massive to keep up with the damned dropouts, unless the DACs are
the guilty party in cell tech. Digital may be clean where the DACs
flub the analog conversion so voice sucks?

Granted, it depends upon where you live. With an 18GB uVerse connection
at home, I consistently get 16GB+ download speeds sitting in my recliner
streaming HD video and movies to my iPad with no problems ... and that's
"wireless", Bubba! g

Plan Comparison
For the
Optimal
Experience: Pro Elite Max Max Plus Max Turbo
Pro
Starting at $35* Elite
Starting at $40* Max
Starting at $45* Max Plus
Starting at $55* Max Turbo
Starting at $65*
Upstream speeds up to Up to 1 Mbps Up to 1 Mbps Up to 1.5 Mbps
Up to 1.5 Mbps Up to 3 Mbps
Downstream Speed(s) Up to 3 Mbps Up to 6 Mbps Up to 12 Mbps
Up to 18 Mbps Up to 24 Mbps

Not GB, Swingy.

Apple's "Home Sharing" streams music and videos, via uVerse's built-in
wireless router and iTunes on my old Dell laptop, to my iPad anywhere in
the house or yard with no hiccups.

Cool.

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Lobby Dosser[_3_] April 9th 11 04:21 AM

Free Books

wrote:

. ..

On 4/6/2011 7:44 AM, Han wrote:
[...]

Nothing is limited.

Lobby Dosser[_3_] April 9th 11 04:22 AM

Free Books

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

Except for the NetFlix ...

Swingman April 9th 11 02:55 PM

Free Books

On 4/8/2011 10:22 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

uVerse high speed internet for home/home office is $65/month for
unlimited/18GB download speed, with built-in wireless router in the RG.

Wife and daughter use their "WiFi only" iPads at home and work ...
they are both big NetFlix fans and watch movies/videos on their iPads
almost nightly over the uVerse WiFi at home at no extra data cost ...
so far).

Except for the NetFlix ...

No exceptions, yet ....for "data" which is the basis of the discussion.

However, that could be short lived as ATT kicks in their tiered data
plans. Corporate greed, or looking forward to FTTP infrastructure?

With their current profits, at present there is NO justification for
doing so with FTTN VDSL except to condition a gullible public to pay more.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

scatter April 12th 11 12:51 PM

Free Books

Han wrote:

Does it do usenet? I have an app for my iPhone, newstap, but I don't
really like it.

I think that newstap is the only iDevice usenet reader. I really wish that
it also used taps for navigation (like most ebook readers).

It also needs to be able to filter on any header (not just the summary
ones), with full regexs. That'd allow us to filter crossposts, no-archive
tagged posts, paths for name changers etc.

I've suggested these things to the author but seriously doubt that anything
will happen.

Swingman April 12th 11 12:54 PM

Free Books

On 4/12/2011 6:51 AM, scatter wrote:
wrote:

Does it do usenet? I have an app for my iPhone, newstap, but I don't
really like it.

I think that newstap is the only iDevice usenet reader. I really wish that
it also used taps for navigation (like most ebook readers).

It also needs to be able to filter on any header (not just the summary
ones), with full regexs. That'd allow us to filter crossposts, no-archive
tagged posts, paths for name changers etc.

I've suggested these things to the author but seriously doubt that anything
will happen.

IMO, there is yet no such thing as a suitable usenet reader for a tablet
or smartphone.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010