Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Homemade feed table for planer

Spotted this idea on Craigslist.

Perhaps old hat to some, but I thought it was a clever idea - and easy to
make. Looks like you sacrifice about 1" in the maximum thickness of the
board you want to plane, but, really, how often do you plane a 17" thick
piece of lumber?

One 2x4' hunk of melamine-covered board from the box store and you're good
to go.

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/2298712220.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 1, 8:33*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Spotted this idea on Craigslist.

Perhaps old hat to some, but I thought it was a clever idea - and easy to
make. Looks like you sacrifice about 1" in the maximum thickness of the
board you want to plane, but, really, how often do you plane a 17" thick
piece of lumber?

One 2x4' hunk of melamine-covered board from the box store and you're good
to go.

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/2298712220.html

Not to jump on your parade, or whatever the saying is. But I built
something like that about 15 years ago. Also have the same Delta
planer. Mine is two sheets of particleboard laminated together.
Piece of melamine glued to the top. Side guides are only where the
planer is, not full length. And guides are only 1/4" thick plywood to
maximize width. Not the 3/4" thick guides used on this one. Mine is
about 4 feet long. Has legs on either end so it sits on the planer
bed in the middle and the legs on either end. Whole thing is mounted
on a big cabinet. It does reduce snipe. Also good for planing short
pieces because they stay on the board instead of falling on the
floor. You can run 3-4 or so short pieces back to back in one
continous line and not have to catch every piece coming out. They
stay on the board. I am pretty sure I got the idea from some magazine
or book. This was before the internet. I doubt I thought it up on my
own. So the idea for this has been around for awhile.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Apr 1, 8:33 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Right. I'm sure this guy - and probably you - were not pioneers.

As we've seen on this group, though, what is old to many is new to a few.