Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

Default Hardwood "ragging" through thicknesser

Hi, I hope you are all well

We use Sapele (2") to make doors but are experiencing this problem
when feeding it through the thicknesser.

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3604.jpg

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3600.jpg

As can be seen from the photos, it's not across the whole piece (5"),
or the whole length - it's just in patches.

This happens regardless of:
the state of the blades
the feed speed.
the amount we take off at each pass

We recently tried Utile but had the same result.

Any ideas please?
Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

"MikeG" wrote in message
Hi, I hope you are all well

We use Sapele (2") to make doors but are experiencing this problem
when feeding it through the thicknesser.

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3604.jpg

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3600.jpg

As can be seen from the photos, it's not across the whole piece (5"),
or the whole length - it's just in patches.

This happens regardless of:
the state of the blades
the feed speed.
the amount we take off at each pass

We recently tried Utile but had the same result.

Any ideas please?

I would be inclined to feed it in the other direction and see what happens
there

Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

"MikeG" wrote in message
Hi, I hope you are all well

We use Sapele (2") to make doors but are experiencing this problem
when feeding it through the thicknesser.

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3604.jpg

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3600.jpg

As can be seen from the photos, it's not across the whole piece (5"),
or the whole length - it's just in patches.

This happens regardless of:
the state of the blades
the feed speed.
the amount we take off at each pass

We recently tried Utile but had the same result.

Any ideas please?

That's because it's sapele. Not much help to you, I know. The interlocking
grain is a feature of the timber - that's what gives it the attractive
stripe - caused by the growth in a helix instead of straight up the trunk,
first clockwise, then anti-clockwise so that it is very hard to machine it
without tearing. Whichever way you plane it it is always against some of the
grain.

If you can't get an acceptable result by very sharp blades and very slight
cuts which you have already tried then you are left with sawing, scraping
and sanding or using another timber. A good finisher can sometimes do
something to fill the grain. Good luck.

Tim W

Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

On Mar 12, 1:49*am, MikeG wrote:
Hi, I hope you are all well

We use Sapele (2") to make doors but are experiencing this problem
when feeding it through the thicknesser.

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3604.jpg

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3600.jpg

As can be seen from the photos, it's not across the whole piece (5"),
or the whole length - it's just in patches.

This happens regardless of:
* * * * the state of the blades
* * * * the feed speed.
* * * * the amount we take off at each pass

We recently tried Utile but had the same result.

Any ideas please?

I get that with figured walnut or maple on occasion. As George
suggested running in opposite direction might help. you might also
try dampening the area (lightly) with water on a damp rag before
feeding. You will end up with a little sanding but it might lessen
tearing the problem.

RonB
Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

In article , MikeG wrote:
Hi, I hope you are all well

We use Sapele (2") to make doors but are experiencing this problem
when feeding it through the thicknesser.

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3604.jpg

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3600.jpg

As can be seen from the photos, it's not across the whole piece (5"),
or the whole length - it's just in patches.

This happens regardless of:
the state of the blades
the feed speed.
the amount we take off at each pass

We recently tried Utile but had the same result.

Any ideas please?

Well, as Tim said, that's a characteristic of the wood, caused by interlocking
grain. You might try any or all of the following:
- make sure your cutting knives are razor-sharp (DAGS for "Scary Sharp")
- take *very* light cuts ( 0.005" at a time )
- skew the boards so the cuts are not perpendicular to the long axis
- failing the above, use a thickness sander instead of a thickness planer

Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

"MikeG" wrote in message
Hi, I hope you are all well

We use Sapele (2") to make doors but are experiencing this problem
when feeding it through the thicknesser.

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3604.jpg

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3600.jpg

As can be seen from the photos, it's not across the whole piece (5"),
or the whole length - it's just in patches.

This happens regardless of:
the state of the blades
the feed speed.
the amount we take off at each pass

We recently tried Utile but had the same result.

Any ideas please?

Try spraying a mist of water on the surface before sending it to the planer,
soften the wood fibers.

Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/12/2011 1:49 AM, MikeG wrote:
Hi, I hope you are all well

We use Sapele (2") to make doors but are experiencing this problem
when feeding it through the thicknesser.

....[tearout seemingly random]...

Any ideas please?

In addition to Tim and Doug a planer w/ helical knives cutter head may
help although the thicknessing sander is undoubtedly the most practical
solution for production work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 07:49:48 +0000, MikeG
wrote:

Hi, I hope you are all well

We use Sapele (2") to make doors but are experiencing this problem
when feeding it through the thicknesser.

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3604.jpg

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3600.jpg

As can be seen from the photos, it's not across the whole piece (5"),
or the whole length - it's just in patches.

This happens regardless of:
the state of the blades
the feed speed.
the amount we take off at each pass

We recently tried Utile but had the same result.

Any ideas please?

Sorry if it sounds pedantic, but in IMG_3600.jpg, it truly appears
that you planed against the grain. If so, do it the other way next
time, with the grain.

Otherwise, with woods where grain crosses and reverses, plane to
coarse thickness and sand to exact thickness. Scraper planes and
cabinet scrapers (freehand style) are also a possibility.

--
Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is
absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Or a quick wipe with a Rotex...* * * * * * * * * *

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:22:57 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:
Hi, I hope you are all well

We use Sapele (2") to make doors but are experiencing this problem
when feeding it through the thicknesser.

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3604.jpg

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3600.jpg

As can be seen from the photos, it's not across the whole piece (5"),
or the whole length - it's just in patches.

This happens regardless of:
Â* Â*the state of the blades
Â* Â*the feed speed.
Â* Â*the amount we take off at each pass

We recently tried Utile but had the same result.

Any ideas please?

Sorry if it sounds pedantic, but in IMG_3600.jpg, it truly appears
that you planed against the grain. If so, do it the other way next
time, with the grain. Â*

Otherwise, with woods where grain crosses and reverses, plane to
coarse thickness and sand to exact thickness. Scraper planes and
cabinet scrapers (freehand style) are also a possibility.

Or a quick wipe with a Rotex...Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*

Hah! Only for the richy-rich Normites. REAL men scrape their wood.

--
Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is
absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you
realize that the entire system is very easily controlled,
one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you
will not have to be told how periods of inflation and
depression originate. --James Garfield

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03/12/2011 05:50 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:22:57 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Or a quick wipe with a Rotex...

Hah! Only for the richy-rich Normites. REAL men scrape their wood.

Sounds painful!
Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

"MikeG" wrote in message ...

Hi, I hope you are all well

We use Sapele (2") to make doors but are experiencing this problem
when feeding it through the thicknesser.

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3604.jpg

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/IMG_3600.jpg

As can be seen from the photos, it's not across the whole piece (5"),
or the whole length - it's just in patches.

This happens regardless of:
the state of the blades
the feed speed.
the amount we take off at each pass

We recently tried Utile but had the same result.

Any ideas please?

Mike,

1. Inexpensive way: Dampen the surface with water so the whole surface is
damp (no need for it to be soaking wet) and let it rest for a minute before
running thru the planer.

2. Not so inexpensive way: Get a drum sander
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...&category=7316

I have the 16/32 and it is the way to go when you're working with squirrely
grain. Leave about 1/16" on each side when you come off the planer and then
run it thru the drum sander for finishing.

Bob S.