Irwin Schwartz

Default Drilling through glass

I hope this is the appropriate news group; if not, my apologies for inadvertant
spam.

Is there a technique for drilling a hole (1/4" to 1/2") through a pane of
window glass, perhaps using a drill press?

TIA

Regards,
Irwin
http://members.aol.com/midimusic
RickS

Regardless the technique you ultimately find, be sure the glass is not
tempered.
AFAIK, altering a tempered sheet of glass (in any way) will at best weaken
it, and at worst shatter it during the attempt.

/rick.

"Irwin Schwartz" wrote in message
I hope this is the appropriate news group; if not, my apologies for

inadvertant
spam.

Is there a technique for drilling a hole (1/4" to 1/2") through a pane of
window glass, perhaps using a drill press?

TIA

Regards,
Irwin
http://members.aol.com/midimusic

Chipper Wood

A 1/4 inch blunt brass rod or hardwood dowel, oil and grinding compound in a
slow turning drill of any type will quickly make the hole. Use only slight
pressure against the glass and turn the rod slowly, stop often to check for
heating. Make a test hole in a glass bottle first to get some experience. As
stated in another reply, Do not try to scratch or drill tempered glass. It
is under constant stress and will shatter. Most glass doors are tempered
glass as well as all side and rear newer car windows. Tempering is a safety
feature causing the glass to shatter on impact into tiny fragments rather
than to break into dangerous sharp and pointed larger shards . Diamond bits
will make the hole, however if a tapered bit binds or too much pressure is
placed at a point and not supported properly, it will cause cracking or
breakage.
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work

"Irwin Schwartz" wrote in message
I hope this is the appropriate news group; if not, my apologies for

inadvertant
spam.

Is there a technique for drilling a hole (1/4" to 1/2") through a pane of
window glass, perhaps using a drill press?

TIA

Regards,
Irwin
http://members.aol.com/midimusic

Charles Spitzer

diamond core drill, drilled under water. go very slowly. tap the bit on the
glass, don't drill more than a few seconds without lifting the bit.

and drilling tempered glass is a sure way to get explosive decomposition.

you could also sand blast it, which would be faster and less likely to break
the pane of glass.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

"RickS" rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net wrote in message
Regardless the technique you ultimately find, be sure the glass is not
tempered.
AFAIK, altering a tempered sheet of glass (in any way) will at best weaken
it, and at worst shatter it during the attempt.

/rick.

"Irwin Schwartz" wrote in message
I hope this is the appropriate news group; if not, my apologies for

inadvertant
spam.

Is there a technique for drilling a hole (1/4" to 1/2") through a pane

of
window glass, perhaps using a drill press?

TIA

Regards,
Irwin
http://members.aol.com/midimusic

Rick Samuel

Copper or brass tubing, used with lapping compound & light
oil. SLOW speed, & light pressure,
back off frequently.

Irwin Schwartz wrote:
I hope this is the appropriate news group; if not, my apologies for inadvertant
spam.

Is there a technique for drilling a hole (1/4" to 1/2") through a pane of
window glass, perhaps using a drill press?

TIA

Regards,
Irwin
http://members.aol.com/midimusic

Irwin Schwartz

Thank you all for your excellent advice.

Irwin
Richard Cline

In article , "Chipper Wood"
wrote:

Others have offered good suggestions on drilling with metal rod,
abrasive and oil. If you want the hole as large as 1/2" i would suggest
that you use brass tubing rather than rod. The total material removal
is much less. I have made 1" diameter holes through 1'thick glass this
way.

Dick

[...]

John

Get the right DRILL BIT and it is not all that hard. Drill press is
NICE, but not essential. Glass drills I have seen have what looks
like a spear blade on the end, likely CARBIDE or Diamond edged

How about doing a Google Search for "Drill and Glass"

John
On 25 May 2004 20:12:11 GMT, (Irwin Schwartz)
wrote:

I hope this is the appropriate news group; if not, my apologies for inadvertant
spam.

Is there a technique for drilling a hole (1/4" to 1/2") through a pane of
window glass, perhaps using a drill press?

TIA

Regards,
Irwin
http://members.aol.com/midimusic

Rick Nelson

Irwin Schwartz wrote:
I hope this is the appropriate news group; if not, my apologies for inadvertant
spam.

Is there a technique for drilling a hole (1/4" to 1/2") through a pane of
window glass, perhaps using a drill press?

TIA

Regards,
Irwin
http://members.aol.com/midimusic

In addition to what others have said, you could make a ring out of
modeling clay and put it around the hole to act like a little dam to
hold the oil or water in the area of the hole. It beats the mess you'd
get from trying to apply it with a squirt bottle.

-Rick