DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Doonesbury (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/318822-re-doonesbury.html)

Doug Miller February 15th 11 03:20 AM

Doonesbury

In article , "DGDevin" wrote:
[...]
so perhaps a really good way to reduce the number of deaths by gunshot would
be to take away the profit motive from sellers of illegal drugs.

On top of that, I think there's a moral argument to be made for legalizing at
least some drugs: the whole reason we have laws, and jails, in the first place
is to protect society by removing from our midst for a time those whose
actions cause harm to others. Since recreational drug use does not cause
demonstrable harm to society at large, what moral justification is there for
jailing recreational drug users?

Lobby Dosser[_3_] February 15th 11 05:00 AM

Doonesbury

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "DGDevin"
wrote:
[...]
so perhaps a really good way to reduce the number of deaths by gunshot
would
be to take away the profit motive from sellers of illegal drugs.

On top of that, I think there's a moral argument to be made for legalizing
at
least some drugs: the whole reason we have laws, and jails, in the first
place
is to protect society by removing from our midst for a time those whose
actions cause harm to others. Since recreational drug use does not cause
demonstrable harm to society at large, what moral justification is there
for
jailing recreational drug users?

Many become addicted and cannot pay for the recreation of choice and then
Rob others. Meth, for example.

Many of the recreations of choice cause otherwise nice folks to lose control
and then do harm to others. Meth, for example.

--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Just Wondering February 15th 11 10:00 AM

Doonesbury

On 2/14/2011 8:20 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
In articleY5SdnerjCbFO48TQnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@earthlink .com, wrote:
[...]
so perhaps a really good way to reduce the number of deaths by gunshot would
be to take away the profit motive from sellers of illegal drugs.

On top of that, I think there's a moral argument to be made for legalizing at
least some drugs: the whole reason we have laws, and jails, in the first place
is to protect society by removing from our midst for a time those whose
actions cause harm to others. Since recreational drug use does not cause
demonstrable harm to society at large, what moral justification is there for
jailing recreational drug users?

Recreational drug use alone should be decriminalized if for no other
reason that it makes no sense to use our limited tax dollars to house,
feed and cloth people whose only offense is against themselves. It's
when drug use impairs a person's judgment and physical abilities that we
should be concerned. Think the equivalent of DUI laws for drug users.
There is a potential middle ground between legalization and
criminalization. Make the conduct to be deterred a civil violation and
impose a civil fine. Give a person injured by a drug user a civil claim.

J. Clarke[_2_] February 15th 11 11:42 AM

Doonesbury

In article ,
says...

[...]

Further, tax and regulate the drugs so that they are of a standard
concentration and purity and revenue is being _derived_ from their sale
rather than _expended_ trying to prevent it. If someone as the result
of being in an impaired state injures someone else, make _that_ a
criminal offence. And provide some _real_ drug education in the schools
and not the obvious propagandizing that goes on now.

Doug Miller February 15th 11 12:16 PM

Doonesbury

In article , "Lobby Dosser" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "DGDevin"
wrote:
[...]
so perhaps a really good way to reduce the number of deaths by gunshot
would
be to take away the profit motive from sellers of illegal drugs.

On top of that, I think there's a moral argument to be made for legalizing at
least some drugs: the whole reason we have laws, and jails, in the first place
is to protect society by removing from our midst for a time those whose
actions cause harm to others. Since recreational drug use does not cause
demonstrable harm to society at large, what moral justification is there for
jailing recreational drug users?

Many become addicted and cannot pay for the recreation of choice and then
Rob others. Meth, for example.

But the main reason that illegal drugs are expensive is that they're illegal.

Many of the recreations of choice cause otherwise nice folks to lose control
and then do harm to others. Meth, for example.

And many don't. The ones who steal and rob need to go to jail, because theft
and robbery cause harm to others. The ones who get quietly stoned at home
should be left alone.

Markem[_2_] February 15th 11 01:24 PM

Doonesbury

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:16:28 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
In article , "Lobby Dosser" wrote:

Many become addicted and cannot pay for the recreation of choice and then
Rob others. Meth, for example.

But the main reason that illegal drugs are expensive is that they're illegal.

Many of the recreations of choice cause otherwise nice folks to lose control
and then do harm to others. Meth, for example.

And many don't. The ones who steal and rob need to go to jail, because theft
and robbery cause harm to others. The ones who get quietly stoned at home
should be left alone.

Doug making meth is not extremely expensive, dangerous but not
expensive at all.

Mark

J. Clarke[_2_] February 15th 11 03:24 PM

Doonesbury

In article , markem618
@hotmail.com says...

wrote:
In article , "Lobby Dosser" wrote:

Many become addicted and cannot pay for the recreation of choice and then
Rob others. Meth, for example.

But the main reason that illegal drugs are expensive is that they're illegal.

Many of the recreations of choice cause otherwise nice folks to lose control
and then do harm to others. Meth, for example.

And many don't. The ones who steal and rob need to go to jail, because theft
and robbery cause harm to others. The ones who get quietly stoned at home
should be left alone.

Doug making meth is not extremely expensive, dangerous but not
expensive at all.

Another argument for legalization. Legal, licensed, inspected meth labs
are less likely to burn, when they do burn they are less likely to burn
down the neighborhood, and the operators will have insurance to pay for
the damage to others caused by the fire, not to mention workmen's comp
for the injured workers.

DGDevin February 15th 11 07:33 PM

Doonesbury

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

so perhaps a really good way to reduce the number of deaths by gunshot
would
be to take away the profit motive from sellers of illegal drugs.

On top of that, I think there's a moral argument to be made for legalizing
at
least some drugs: the whole reason we have laws, and jails, in the first
place
is to protect society by removing from our midst for a time those whose
actions cause harm to others. Since recreational drug use does not cause
demonstrable harm to society at large, what moral justification is there
for
jailing recreational drug users?

I think recreational drug use can and does cause harm to society, there are
no harmless recreational drugs including the one that has been legal and
massively destructive almost forever--alcohol. However I think we all have
the right poison ourselves provided we aren't harming others in the process.
So if a person wants to drive home sober and then drink himself senseless
every night, he has the right to do that. It's different if he's beating
the wife and kids or something like that, then society is entitled to
intervene. But aside from things like that I think people have the right to
smoke or drink or whatever those substances they choose to consume, it is
not the job of government to save us from ourselves unless there is a
compelling public interest in doing so.

DGDevin February 15th 11 07:40 PM

Doonesbury

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Many become addicted and cannot pay for the recreation of choice and then
Rob others. Meth, for example.

That's true, but the reason they need to steal to pay for their drug of
choice is that the drug is illegal. The worst street bum you can imagine
can cash in empties at the recycle center or panhandle enough money to buy a
jug of cheap wine, he doesn't need to commit armed robbery to raise a few
dollars. It's illegal drugs that inspire robberies.

Many of the recreations of choice cause otherwise nice folks to lose
control and then do harm to others. Meth, for example.

Also true, but it seems like the people who want to use meth can get their
hands on it despite it being highly illegal, so I have to wonder why we're
spending billions trying to suppress a drug that almost any moron can make
in his garage.

DGDevin February 15th 11 07:45 PM

Doonesbury

"Just Wondering" wrote in message

Recreational drug use alone should be decriminalized if for no other
reason that it makes no sense to use our limited tax dollars to house,
feed and cloth people whose only offense is against themselves. It's when
drug use impairs a person's judgment and physical abilities that we should
be concerned. Think the equivalent of DUI laws for drug users.
There is a potential middle ground between legalization and
criminalization. Make the conduct to be deterred a civil violation and
impose a civil fine. Give a person injured by a drug user a civil claim.

Well said. To that I would add that rehab is way, way cheaper than prison.
I'd rather pay for an addict to go to rehab (even more than once) than to
put him in prison for years at enormous expense.

DGDevin February 15th 11 07:49 PM

Doonesbury

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...

Further, tax and regulate the drugs so that they are of a standard
concentration and purity and revenue is being _derived_ from their sale
rather than _expended_ trying to prevent it. If someone as the result
of being in an impaired state injures someone else, make _that_ a
criminal offence. And provide some _real_ drug education in the schools
and not the obvious propagandizing that goes on now.

One of the motives for repealing Prohibition was that all levels of
government realized the huge tax revenues they'd lost by making booze
illegal. I don't smoke anything, so the idea of people who choose to smoke
cannabis paying taxes rather than me having to pay to fix potholes is highly
attractive to me.

Upscale February 15th 11 07:57 PM

Doonesbury

"DGDevin"
massively destructive almost forever--alcohol. However I think we all
have the right poison ourselves provided we aren't harming others in the
process. So if a person wants to drive home sober and then drink himself
senseless every night, he has the right to do that. It's different if
he's beating the wife and kids or something like that, then society is
entitled to intervene. But aside from things like that I think people
have the right to smoke or drink or whatever those substances they choose
to consume, it is not the job of government to save us from ourselves
unless there is a compelling public interest in doing so.

And, there is a compelling public interest in doing so.You're scenario talks
about what happens in a perfect world. The fact is, that perfect world
doesn't exist and never will. You're not just poisoning yourself. You've
having an effect on all those around you whether it be family, at work or
just in everyday living.

Prohibition was repealed. Alcohol then became easier to obtain and people
felt at home again having a drink now and then. But, you're ignoring the
downside. How many families have been and are destroyed by alcoholism? How
many deaths and injuries can be attributed to drinking and driving? You
might shrug that off, but if you're so ready to do so, then you haven't been
a member of one of those families so afflicted.

Please understand, I'm not advocating the removal of alcohol. I too like the
occasional drink just as much as anybody. But habit forming drugs have a
downside to them that pales in comparison to the downsides of excessive
drinking. The proposed scenario of government legalizing, marketing and
benefitting monetarily from the incorporation of such an action have the
very real possibility (and I'd suggest liklihood) of repercussions without
exception.

Markem[_2_] February 15th 11 08:15 PM

Doonesbury

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:24:24 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , markem618
says...

wrote:
[...]

And maybe just maybe I can get my Pseudoephedrine back damn meth
heads. Benedryl sucks!!!!

Mark

Upscale February 15th 11 08:21 PM

Doonesbury

"DGDevin" wrote in message
criminalization. Make the conduct to be deterred a civil violation and
impose a civil fine. Give a person injured by a drug user a civil claim.

Civil litigitation. RIGHT! There's a solution. The US is one of, if not
actually being the most litigious country this world has ever seen. Add onto
that the fact that the drug user might not have any money to sue him for.
Pile on that the fact that some of these claims fail, take years to complete
and don't really pay fully for all the expenses that someone so injured will
experience.

Well said. To that I would add that rehab is way, way cheaper than
prison. I'd rather pay for an addict to go to rehab (even more than once)
than to put him in prison for years at enormous expense.

NOT WELL SAID. Shortsighted and really ignorant at the very best. Many, many
injuries requiring rehab are a LIFE LONG condition. Fewer that you imagine
get back to being as healthy or as fully fit as they were. And most
definitely, yes, I have extensive experience in this area.

For woodworkers who I'd say were generally considered to be creative,
inventive and innovative, an awful lot of you are apparently delusional and
shortsighted to the extreme. But hell, why should I be surprised? It's just
par for the course when it comes to humanity.

HeyBub[_3_] February 15th 11 10:12 PM

Doonesbury

Doug Miller wrote:

Many of the recreations of choice cause otherwise nice folks to lose
control and then do harm to others. Meth, for example.

And many don't. The ones who steal and rob need to go to jail,
because theft
and robbery cause harm to others. The ones who get quietly stoned at
home
should be left alone.

Nope. In those countries where our illicit drugs are legal, and even handed
out by the government, there has been no discernable drop in the number of
folks who obtain their drugs illegally. The only result of legal drugs is an
increased number of addicts.

How much do illegal drugs cost society?

A Heroin addict will "shoot" one "paper" of Horse per day (if he can get
it). A "paper" is 1 gram of 5% Heroin and costs about $100 on the street.

Assuming the addict is not a female (who can earn the $100 by tricking) and
assuming the addict does not have a job that leaves $100 per day in
discretionary spending, your addict has to steal. Armed robbers don't last
long, so, in the main, the thief is a burglar or car thief.

In order to net the $100, the thief has to steal something worth about four
times that amount, or $400 (hey, fences have to feed their families too!).
So, then, $400/day x 365 days per year is $146,000 taken out of the economy
for each Heroin addict in the wild.

How many Heroin addicts in your town? In mine, I'd guess about 50,000 (out
of six million). That's over $7 billion in loss or increased insurance rates
just for Heroin. Then there's crack, Marijuana, Cocaine, speed, meth, and
Red Bull.

The good news is, however, there's no such thing as a long-term Heroin
addict. Three years is the normal life expectancy.

Doug Miller February 15th 11 10:15 PM

Doonesbury

In article , "Upscale" wrote:

"DGDevin"
[...]

That depends on the extent of the use. Occasional recreational use of
marijuana (or most other drugs) is not noticeably damaging to family,
colleagues, or the fabric of society. The larger point is, should abuse be a
*crime*, or regarded as a public health problem? I argue for the latter.

Prohibition was repealed. Alcohol then became easier to obtain and people
felt at home again having a drink now and then. But, you're ignoring the
downside. How many families have been and are destroyed by alcoholism?

But should that be a crime?
If so, then since adultery also destroys families, should it also be a crime?
If not, then why should similar [ab]use of marijuana or cocaine be a crime?

How many deaths and injuries can be attributed to drinking and driving?

What is (or should be) the crime here, getting drunk, or driving while drunk?
The problem isn't the alcohol, the problem isn't the drinker getting drunk --
the problem is the drinker getting drunk and then driving. If you get drunk at
home, or get drunk at a bar and take a cab home, it's no business of mine, or
society's -- you're not endangering anyone else. Why should getting stoned be
treated any differently?

You
might shrug that off, but if you're so ready to do so, then you haven't been
a member of one of those families so afflicted.

I've seen what alcoholism has done to several co-workers. But IMO it should be
treated as a medical problem, and not as a crime. Why should abuse of any
other drug be regarded any differently?

Please understand, I'm not advocating the removal of alcohol. I too like the
occasional drink just as much as anybody. But habit forming drugs have a
downside to them that pales in comparison to the downsides of excessive
drinking.

I think that's debatable; excessive drinking is responsible for many tens
of thousands of deaths each year in the U.S. And much of the downside of the
use of habit-forming drugs -- the crimes that accompany their use -- is the
result of the use itself being a crime. *Exactly the same* problems occurred
during the American experiment with prohibition of alcohol in the early part
of the 20th century. Repeal of Prohibition ended most of the crime associated
with alcohol use.

The proposed scenario of government legalizing, marketing and
benefitting monetarily from the incorporation of such an action have the
very real possibility (and I'd suggest liklihood) of repercussions without
exception.

Perhaps so. But what we're doing now isn't working any better than it worked
90 years ago when we tried to do the same thing with alcohol. ISTM that it's
time to try something different.

HeyBub[_3_] February 15th 11 10:15 PM

Doonesbury

Just Wondering wrote:

Recreational drug use alone should be decriminalized if for no other
reason that it makes no sense to use our limited tax dollars to house,
feed and cloth people whose only offense is against themselves. It's
when drug use impairs a person's judgment and physical abilities that
we should be concerned. Think the equivalent of DUI laws for drug
users. There is a potential middle ground between legalization and
criminalization. Make the conduct to be deterred a civil violation
and impose a civil fine. Give a person injured by a drug user a
civil claim.

In another post I showed the computation for Heroin use to be about $138,000
taken out of the economy in thefts and insurance rates caused by one addict.

In my state, it costs about $36,000 to house a prisoner per year. Locking up
the addicts, then, saves the community over $100,000 per incarcerated
addict.

We need to lock MORE of them up, not find ways to reduce the prison
population.

Doug Miller February 15th 11 10:18 PM

Doonesbury

In article , "DGDevin" wrote:

[...]

And therein lies a large part of the problem. Prohibition didn't work, in
part, because any fool can make alcohol, too -- and since the basic
ingredients needed (water, sugar, and yeast) are also essential to making
bread, it's not possible to restrict their sale. Likewise, any fool can grow
marijuana -- it's called "weed" for a reason.

Robatoy[_2_] February 15th 11 10:27 PM

Doonesbury

On Feb 15, 5:12*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Then there's crack, Marijuana, Cocaine, speed, meth, and
Red Bull.

:-)

The good news is, however, there's no such thing as a long-term Heroin
addict. Three years is the normal life expectancy.

Dunno where you got that info, but life expectancy is far longer than
that, sometimes 40 years.
That is at 1 gram at 3-5% per day.
Still not a good life choice.

Upscale February 15th 11 10:35 PM

Doonesbury

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Perhaps so. But what we're doing now isn't working any better than it
worked
90 years ago when we tried to do the same thing with alcohol. ISTM that
it's
time to try something different.

Quite possibly. The only flaw in your argument is that legalizing and
controlling all drugs as has been suggested is not the answer. Suggest
something else. What you are suggesting is just the last recourse of
grasping at straws for a solution.

There's a marked difference between a crazed methamphetamine user and an
angry drunk. Any day of the year, I'd face a mean angry drunk over an angry
speed user. Many might equate the two as similar problems and apply similar
solutions, but I'm not one of them. They're at the opposite ends of the
spectrum when it comes to addictions as far as I'm concerned.

Upscale February 15th 11 10:39 PM

Doonesbury

"HeyBub" wrote in message
We need to lock MORE of them up, not find ways to reduce the prison
population.

Not a solution I'd want to support because prison has it's own heavy tolls
on society and the economy, but it would certainly be one of my choices far
above that of decriminalizing drugs.

J. Clarke[_2_] February 15th 11 11:14 PM

Doonesbury

In article ,
says...

Doug Miller wrote:

Many of the recreations of choice cause otherwise nice folks to lose
control and then do harm to others. Meth, for example.

And many don't. The ones who steal and rob need to go to jail,
because theft
and robbery cause harm to others. The ones who get quietly stoned at
home
should be left alone.

Nope. In those countries where our illicit drugs are legal, and even handed
out by the government, there has been no discernable drop in the number of
folks who obtain their drugs illegally. The only result of legal drugs is an
increased number of addicts.

In which countries can one obtain drugs legally and in which countries
are they "handed out by the government"?

How much do illegal drugs cost society?

A Heroin addict will "shoot" one "paper" of Horse per day (if he can get
it). A "paper" is 1 gram of 5% Heroin and costs about $100 on the street.

What does it cost at a pharamcy with a prescription? That's the price
that they would be paying if it was legal you know.

Assuming the addict is not a female (who can earn the $100 by

tricking) and
assuming the addict does not have a job that leaves $100 per day in
discretionary spending, your addict has to steal. Armed robbers don't last
long, so, in the main, the thief is a burglar or car thief.

In order to net the $100, the thief has to steal something worth about four
times that amount, or $400 (hey, fences have to feed their families too!).
So, then, $400/day x 365 days per year is $146,000 taken out of the economy
for each Heroin addict in the wild.

How many Heroin addicts in your town? In mine, I'd guess about 50,000 (out
of six million).

On what information do you base this guess?

That's over $7 billion in loss or increased insurance rates
just for Heroin. Then there's crack, Marijuana, Cocaine, speed, meth, and
Red Bull.

And would all this crime still need to take place if the stuff was sold
at the prescription price rather than the drug dealer price?

The good news is, however, there's no such thing as a long-term Heroin
addict. Three years is the normal life expectancy.

So it's a self-limiting problem.

DGDevin February 15th 11 11:16 PM

Doonesbury

"HeyBub" wrote in message

And many don't. The ones who steal and rob need to go to jail,
because theft
and robbery cause harm to others. The ones who get quietly stoned at
home
should be left alone.

Nope. In those countries where our illicit drugs are legal, and even
handed out by the government, there has been no discernable drop in the
number of folks who obtain their drugs illegally. The only result of legal
drugs is an increased number of addicts.

This is where you post links to credible sources that make us all say by
golly Heybub is right, for once.

How many Heroin addicts in your town? In mine, I'd guess about 50,000 (out
of six million). That's over $7 billion in loss or increased insurance
rates just for Heroin. Then there's crack, Marijuana, Cocaine, speed,
meth, and Red Bull.

So what would it cost to supply those addicts with legal heroin, eliminating
the need for them to steal to support their addiction? Seven billion a
year, or a tiny fraction of that?

J. Clarke[_2_] February 15th 11 11:20 PM

Doonesbury

In article ,
says...

Just Wondering wrote:

Recreational drug use alone should be decriminalized if for no other
reason that it makes no sense to use our limited tax dollars to house,
feed and cloth people whose only offense is against themselves. It's
when drug use impairs a person's judgment and physical abilities that
we should be concerned. Think the equivalent of DUI laws for drug
users. There is a potential middle ground between legalization and
criminalization. Make the conduct to be deterred a civil violation
and impose a civil fine. Give a person injured by a drug user a
civil claim.

In another post I showed the computation for Heroin use to be about $138,000
taken out of the economy in thefts and insurance rates caused by one addict.

Nobody has proposed that theft be made legal. If a drug user steals,
arrest him and put him in jail for stealing.

In my state, it costs about $36,000 to house a prisoner per year. Locking up
the addicts, then, saves the community over $100,000 per incarcerated
addict.

Now let's see, a gram of 5 percent heroin would be then 50 mg of 100
percent heroin? 100 mg of Morphine at a pharamcy is under 5 bucks.
Heroin should be about the same. So if he could get the Heroin legally
it would reduce that cost to under $1000.

We need to lock MORE of them up, not find ways to reduce the prison
population.

If they steal and get caught, sure.

DGDevin February 15th 11 11:21 PM

Doonesbury

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

And therein lies a large part of the problem. Prohibition didn't work, in
part, because any fool can make alcohol, too -- and since the basic
ingredients needed (water, sugar, and yeast) are also essential to making
bread, it's not possible to restrict their sale. Likewise, any fool can
grow
marijuana -- it's called "weed" for a reason.

The govt. had a chance to cut off meth at the knees, but drug industry
lobbyists kept the products used to make meth over-the-counter, where any
moron could buy or steal them.

Doug Winterburn February 15th 11 11:22 PM

Doonesbury

On 02/15/2011 04:16 PM, DGDevin wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

Here's a good one, Arizona just passed a "medical marijuana" bill. The
tax they propose isn't going to deter any illegal activity:

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/arizona-lawmakers-want-300-medical-marijuana-tax

DGDevin February 15th 11 11:25 PM

Doonesbury

"Upscale" wrote in message

"DGDevin" wrote in message
criminalization. Make the conduct to be deterred a civil violation and
impose a civil fine. Give a person injured by a drug user a civil claim.

Civil litigitation. RIGHT! There's a solution.

You have combined my name with someone else's words. Kindly properly
attribute the post you're answering to the person who actually wrote it.

For woodworkers who I'd say were generally considered to be creative,
inventive and innovative, an awful lot of you are apparently delusional
and shortsighted to the extreme. But hell, why should I be surprised? It's
just par for the course when it comes to humanity.

You appear to believe that people who disagree with you are therefore by
definition stupid--until you correct this basic error you'll have a problem.

Upscale February 15th 11 11:32 PM

Doonesbury

"DGDevin" wrote in message
So what would it cost to supply those addicts with legal heroin,
eliminating the need for them to steal to support their addiction? Seven
billion a year, or a tiny fraction of that?

Want to compare this to alcohol? Imagine what would happen if alcohol was
given freely to those to asked for it. Do you have any idea how quickly that
would become an unsistainable act and what it would cost? Think about it.
Any possible scenario you might propose for alcohol would be compounded many
times when compared to habit forming drugs.

DGDevin February 15th 11 11:47 PM

Doonesbury

"Upscale" wrote in message

And, there is a compelling public interest in doing so.You're scenario
talks about what happens in a perfect world. The fact is, that perfect
world doesn't exist and never will. You're not just poisoning yourself.
You've having an effect on all those around you whether it be family, at
work or just in everyday living.

Obesity costs us countless billions in healthcare costs, so that must mean
there is a compelling public interest in mandatory dieting and exercise with
jail time for those who refuse to lose enough weight. And of course there
is tobacco, clearly prison time for those who refuse to quit smoking is
justifiable. Lots of risky sports out there, something should be done about
those. And so on, it's for your own good and that of society....

Prohibition was repealed. Alcohol then became easier to obtain and people
felt at home again having a drink now and then.

So, organized crime became rich selling bootleg booze because hardly anyone
was drinking during Prohibition?

But, you're ignoring the downside.

Actually that would be you, in your refusal to consider the impact of
pouring billions of dollars into the hands of organized crime who supply the
demand for illegal drugs.

How many families have been and are destroyed by alcoholism? How many
deaths and injuries can be attributed to drinking and driving? You might
shrug that off, but if you're so ready to do so, then you haven't been a
member of one of those families so afflicted.

I take drunk driving very seriously, so how about you don't make up
positions I haven't expressed, okay?

Please understand, I'm not advocating the removal of alcohol. I too like
the occasional drink just as much as anybody. But habit forming drugs have
a downside to them that pales in comparison to the downsides of excessive
drinking. The proposed scenario of government legalizing, marketing and
benefitting monetarily from the incorporation of such an action have the
very real possibility (and I'd suggest liklihood) of repercussions without
exception.

There are illegal drugs in every school in your town, in most workplaces, in
many of the homes you drive past every day. The huge profits in selling
such drugs guarantees that somebody will fill that demand, you cannot stop
it. The War On Drugs is a failure, we couldn't have made drugs much more
widely available if we'd tried. We've distorted our laws trying to suppress
drugs, we've spent countless billions of dollars, we stuffed the prisons
with millions of people and the drugs are still there, and they'll be there
tomorrow. IT HAS NOT WORKED. And it won't work, not ever. You're acting
as if there is this big wall keeping illegal drugs out of our community and
if we tear it down all these drugs will flood in, but the reality is the
drugs are already here. You're in favor of locking the barn door after the
horse is already long gone, it just doesn't make sense. So if one
definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over
while always expecting a different result that never actually occurs, then
the War On Drugs is insane.

Upscale February 16th 11 12:02 AM

Doonesbury

"DGDevin" wrote in message
You appear to believe that people who disagree with you are therefore by
definition stupid--until you correct this basic error you'll have a
problem.

And just possibly, my opinions on this matter are correct. By definition,
that would make you pretty stupid, wouldn't it? You see, it works both ways.
:)

Upscale February 16th 11 12:23 AM

Doonesbury

"DGDevin" wrote in message
Obesity costs us countless billions in healthcare costs, so that must mean
there is a compelling public interest in mandatory dieting and exercise
with jail time for those who refuse to lose enough weight.

Good point. I'll remember that the next time some fat person tries to mug
me or breaks into my home looking for food money. In actuality, it's a
pretty feeble attempt at making obesity comparable to drug addiction. The
entire planet population needs food to survive. They don't need cocaine or
heroine.

is tobacco, clearly prison time for those who refuse to quit smoking is
justifiable.

Tobacco was an industy in production long before governments became directly
involved in people activities. And their powerful lobbying still has force.
Despite that, there has been a concerted effort to reduce smoking by many
governments for some years now. Increased taxation on tobacco is an example
of that. But no, you wouldn't see that because it's not in your nature. You
see, every little niggling or ridiculous comparison you throw at me, I can
easily shoot down for the farce that it is.

I take drunk driving very seriously, so how about you don't make up
positions I haven't expressed, okay?

Such as ridiculous comparisons of drug addiction use to obesity or tobacco
use? Uhh, sure, I won't make anything up. I don't have to. Your absolutely
feeble arguments make it simple to dispose of any inane reasoning you choose
to spew.

Larry Jaques[_3_] February 16th 11 02:17 AM

Doonesbury

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:15:35 -0600, Markem
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:24:24 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , markem618
says...

wrote:
[...]

Ditto here. I miss the hay fever meds which had pseudoephedrine in
them. The new stuff doesn't work worth a damn.

damn meth heads. Benedryl sucks!!!!

Doubly. I bought some and tried 1 Benedryl one time and got so
depressed I considered suicide. Scared the **** out of me. 24 hours
later I was peachy, and angry with the discovery of how that med hit
me.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

CW[_6_] February 16th 11 02:45 AM

Doonesbury

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Doubly. I bought some and tried 1 Benedryl one time and got so

depressed I considered suicide. Scared the **** out of me. 24 hours
later I was peachy, and angry with the discovery of how that med hit
me.

Some of the drugs out there have really bad side effects. Specially some of
the prescriptions. Never noticed the warnings about Lunesta until after
having it's most notorious side effect. Took a couple one night. Went to
sleep. Woke up the next afternoon handcuffed to a hospital bed. Don't
remember a thing.

Doug Miller February 16th 11 03:33 AM

Doonesbury

In article , "Upscale" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Perhaps so. But what we're doing now isn't working any better than it worked
90 years ago when we tried to do the same thing with alcohol. ISTM that it's
time to try something different.

Quite possibly. The only flaw in your argument is that legalizing and
controlling all drugs as has been suggested is not the answer. Suggest
something else. What you are suggesting is just the last recourse of
grasping at straws for a solution.

Agreed. I don't know that I'd support full legalization of everything; there
seems to be substantial reason to restrict some of the more dangerous
substances. OTOH, I'm not aware of any scientific evidence that supports
regulating marijuana more stringently than we do alcohol. Quite the contrary,
in fact: alcohol seems much the more dangerous of the two.

There's a marked difference between a crazed methamphetamine user and an
angry drunk. Any day of the year, I'd face a mean angry drunk over an angry
speed user. Many might equate the two as similar problems and apply similar
solutions, but I'm not one of them. They're at the opposite ends of the
spectrum when it comes to addictions as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps, but IMO abuse of either one should be treated as a medical issue, and
widespread use regarded as a public health issue -- not as a crime.

Doug Miller February 16th 11 03:37 AM

Doonesbury

In article , "Upscale" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
We need to lock MORE of them up, not find ways to reduce the prison
population.

Not a solution I'd want to support because prison has it's own heavy tolls
on society and the economy, but it would certainly be one of my choices far
above that of decriminalizing drugs.

But why lock up the *users*? In many cases, they're victims, too. Lock up the
*dealers*.

A fellow I used to carpool with had an innovative solution: Get rid of all the
drug laws. All of them. Except for this one: make a list of banned drugs; if
you're caught with anything on the list, whatever you have, you eat.

Possession of small amounts for personal use would be effectively
decriminalized; after all, the guy was planning to eat it anyway. And
narcotics dealing would carry an instantaneous capital sentence.

Doug Miller February 16th 11 03:46 AM

Doonesbury

In article , "DGDevin" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

And therein lies a large part of the problem. Prohibition didn't work, in
part, because any fool can make alcohol, too -- and since the basic
ingredients needed (water, sugar, and yeast) are also essential to making
bread, it's not possible to restrict their sale. Likewise, any fool can grow
marijuana -- it's called "weed" for a reason.

The govt. had a chance to cut off meth at the knees, but drug industry
lobbyists kept the products used to make meth over-the-counter, where any
moron could buy or steal them.

I live in Indianapolis; there's a bill being debated in the Indiana
legislature right now that would require a prescription to buy pseudoephedrine
in Indiana. There is considerable opposition to that bill, and it's not coming
from "drug industry lobbyists". It's coming from everyday Hoosiers who suffer
from seasonal allergies and don't want the additional delays and expenses of
having to see a physician in order to buy decongestants that actually work.

HeyBub[_3_] February 16th 11 03:57 AM

Doonesbury

Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 15, 5:12 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Then there's crack, Marijuana, Cocaine, speed, meth, and
Red Bull.

:-)

The good news is, however, there's no such thing as a long-term
Heroin addict. Three years is the normal life expectancy.

Dunno where you got that info, but life expectancy is far longer than
that, sometimes 40 years.
That is at 1 gram at 3-5% per day.
Still not a good life choice.

I grant some may keep going for 40 years. These few are offset, however, by
those who die during their first use. I guess it all averages out to three
years.

I got the information from a week-long class for law enforcement officers
conducted by the (then) Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs.

Markem[_2_] February 16th 11 04:07 AM

Doonesbury

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:45:35 -0800, "CW"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
Doubly. I bought some and tried 1 Benedryl one time and got so

depressed I considered suicide. Scared the **** out of me. 24 hours
later I was peachy, and angry with the discovery of how that med hit
me.

Some of the drugs out there have really bad side effects. Specially some of
the prescriptions. Never noticed the warnings about Lunesta until after
having it's most notorious side effect. Took a couple one night. Went to
sleep. Woke up the next afternoon handcuffed to a hospital bed. Don't
remember a thing.

The current allergy med's like Clartin ect. put me into the beginning
of anaphylactic shock. Now that just not what an allergy medince
should do, but if you read the side effects that information is in
there.

Mark

Just Wondering February 16th 11 08:33 AM

Doonesbury

On 2/15/2011 1:21 PM, Upscale wrote:
wrote in message
criminalization. Make the conduct to be deterred a civil violation and
impose a civil fine. Give a person injured by a drug user a civil claim.

Civil litigitation. RIGHT! There's a solution. The US is one of, if not
actually being the most litigious country this world has ever seen. Add onto
that the fact that the drug user might not have any money to sue him for.
Pile on that the fact that some of these claims fail, take years to complete
and don't really pay fully for all the expenses that someone so injured will
experience.

Your comments are out of context. The alternatives are keeping the
status quo of criminalization and imprisonment at taxpayer expense, or
outright legalization with NO civil remedy. Please explain why you
think using civil law is inferior to both the criminal law and no
restrictions at all.

Well said. To that I would add that rehab is way, way cheaper than
prison. I'd rather pay for an addict to go to rehab (even more than once)
than to put him in prison for years at enormous expense.

NOT WELL SAID. Shortsighted and really ignorant at the very best. Many, many
injuries requiring rehab are a LIFE LONG condition. Fewer that you imagine
get back to being as healthy or as fully fit as they were. And most
definitely, yes, I have extensive experience in this area.

For woodworkers who I'd say were generally considered to be creative,
inventive and innovative, an awful lot of you are apparently delusional and
shortsighted to the extreme. But hell, why should I be surprised? It's just
par for the course when it comes to humanity.

So you think people whose point of view differs from you are
shortsighted, ignorant and delusional? That says not so much about
them, but a whole lot about you.

Just Wondering February 16th 11 08:37 AM

Doonesbury

On 2/15/2011 12:57 PM, Upscale wrote:

[...]

Undoubtedly there would be repercussions. But there are already
repercussions from the existing illegal drug trade. The question is,
which set of repercussions is worse?