MN Guy

Default Veritas 32 Cabinetmaking System

Was looking through the Lee Valley catalog for a system to drill holes
for cabinet shelves.

The Veritas 32 system looks pretty slick - and spendy. Any other
alternatives I should be considering? Seems like the ultimate shelve
hole jig.

MN Guy

Morris Dovey

MN Guy wrote:

Was looking through the Lee Valley catalog for a system to
drill holes for cabinet shelves.

The Veritas 32 system looks pretty slick - and spendy. Any
other alternatives I should be considering? Seems like the
ultimate shelve hole jig.

Assuming that you're building euro-cabinets, the answer depends
on how many units you're going to build. If it's fewer than a
dozen kitchens, the Veritas 32 isn't a bad way to go. If you're
going for more kitchens than that, you might consider a CNC
capable to working with entire sheets of plywood/MDF at a time.
If you find yourself making really large quantities, then you'll
want to consider line-boring machines with enough spindles to
drill all holes simultaneously (and for which a complete set of
bits will cost more than the Veritas 32 /and/ any hand drill you
might ever want to use with it).

If you aren't building euro-cabinets, you might consider using
the Veritas shelf drilling jig (I have one and like it) in
combination with some shop-built jigs.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

James Cubby Culbertson

A strip of peg board. Works fine.

Brian.

Ditto. May have to replace occasionally but otherwise, works great.
MN Guy

Thanks for the input. The few dozen route is the one I'm on. Looking
for something a little more accurate and stable than pegboard. I'll
check out the shelf drilling jig a bit more - less expensive too.

Thanks agin,
MN Guy

Assuming that you're building euro-cabinets, the answer depends
on how many units you're going to build. If it's fewer than a
dozen kitchens, the Veritas 32 isn't a bad way to go. If you're
going for more kitchens than that, you might consider a CNC
capable to working with entire sheets of plywood/MDF at a time.
If you find yourself making really large quantities, then you'll
want to consider line-boring machines with enough spindles to
drill all holes simultaneously (and for which a complete set of
bits will cost more than the Veritas 32 /and/ any hand drill you
might ever want to use with it).

If you aren't building euro-cabinets, you might consider using
the Veritas shelf drilling jig (I have one and like it) in
combination with some shop-built jigs.

Mike Marlow

MN Guy wrote:
Thanks for the input. The few dozen route is the one I'm on. Looking
for something a little more accurate and stable than pegboard. I'll
check out the shelf drilling jig a bit more - less expensive too.

Thanks agin,
MN Guy

Don't sell short the accuracy and stability of pegboard as a drilling
template. For a one time shot at doing a kitchen it's a hard solution to
beat. There's more than one way to use the pegboard as a template. You can
tape it to the material you're using for your cabinet sides and drill
through the holes - and that will work just fine.

Or, if you're using a drill press, you can tape a piece of pegboard down on
the table and insert a dowel in one of the holes such that the bit is
positioned where you want to drill the first hole. Lay your material on top
of the pegboard so that it butts up to the dowl and drill. Move the dowel
to the next hole, increment the material up to the dowel and drill again...
until you're done. Works fine.

--

-Mike-

Charley

Here's an alternative that has a lot of versatility. I've been quite happy
with mine.

http://www.woodtechnology.com/online...ts/gizmo32.htm

--
Charley