DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   rough cut (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/317980-rough-cut.html)

Swingman February 4th 11 08:19 PM

rough cut

On 2/4/2011 11:30 AM, RicodJour wrote:

Deflect as you will, you know that everything I mentioned is true.
Yes, there were some digs in there, but it's all factual based on
those pictures.

You ignore code, you allow and/or do shoddy workmanship (whether it's
your house or built for someone else - that wasn't clear), you
apparently wing all of your construction details and can't or won't
plan ahead.

You said you've spent 60 years hanging around woodshops. You should
have spent more time hanging around construction sites.

Dude! You will want to be a lot more careful with false, libelous
accusations in this day and age. Posting though google groups will not
protect your anonymity and the above meets ALL the requirements for
libel in written, broadcast, or otherwise published words.

I was trying to be lighthearted with you, and not everyone will be as
understanding ... that is no longer the case.

Do not continue as above ... word to the wise.

BTW, the deck in question was built to code and passed all required
inspections. That is documented and provable.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Larry[_7_] February 5th 11 03:35 AM

rough cut

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:10:46 -0800, RicodJour wrote:

More accurate? Elaborate please. Unless, of course,
you're talking about woodworking accuracy beyond a few
thousandths. If you're talking about four decimal places,
then that's a waste of time and not efficient.

I'd suggest that any accuracy beyond 1/64" is wishful
thinking. And for a lot of us that ought to be 1/32". And
neither lasts past the first humidity change :-).

In a lot of cases you are absolutely correct. However, if I
route a 1/4" groove with the intent of inlaying a border for
example, I sure as hell am not going to accept a tolerance of
1/32".

I cannot even come close to listing all of the benefits of the
Incra fence setup that I purchased. I went over to a buddy's
house and helped him on a weekend project about 6 months back.
I actually went the entire day without using a tape measure on
his table saw. Repeatable accuracy of a couple of thousandths
is very easy to obtain. Needless to say I was sold.

Larry

Larry Blanchard February 5th 11 05:45 PM

rough cut

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 03:35:37 +0000, Larry wrote:

Repeatable accuracy of a
couple of thousandths is very easy to obtain. Needless to say I was
sold.

I've got the original IncraJig to which I added a fence. You're right,
repeatable accuracy is excellent. But there's a big difference between
that and absolute accuracy. For example, I could rip 2 different boards
to 3" wide and move and restore the fence between each one using the
Incra. All 3 boards would be very close to the same width - as you say,
a few thousandths. But how close they were to 3" is still dependent on
my original setup -that's where the 1/64" comes in.

OTOH, your 1/4" groove for inlay is only dependent on the diameter of the
router bit and the runout on the router. Measurement doesn't enter into
it.

DGDevin February 5th 11 06:50 PM

rough cut

"Swingman" wrote in message

I'll buy that only when you can show me pictoral proof where either of
these guys has built a complete modern kitchen with their untailed tools,
bow saws and dovetail saws, one containing provisions for all the modern
conveniences and accouterments expected in today's high end kitchens, and
done in a sufficient time and manner to justify the labor costs to make a
living at it ... .

I remember a shop class teacher (in a previous century) who told the class
how he'd finished his basement using nothing but hand tools. Being young
smartasses we asked him why he didn't wire the basement first so he could
use power tools. Wish I'd paid more attention back then.

Swingman February 5th 11 07:09 PM

rough cut

On 2/5/2011 12:50 PM, DGDevin wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message

I'll buy that only when you can show me pictoral proof where either of
these guys has built a complete modern kitchen with their untailed
tools, bow saws and dovetail saws, one containing provisions for all
the modern conveniences and accouterments expected in today's high end
kitchens, and done in a sufficient time and manner to justify the
labor costs to make a living at it ... .

I remember a shop class teacher (in a previous century) who told the
class how he'd finished his basement using nothing but hand tools. Being
young smartasses we asked him why he didn't wire the basement first so
he could use power tools. Wish I'd paid more attention back then.

I helped my grandfather and an uncle build/add on to their houses in the
middle of the last century, with nothing but hand tools. My dad and I
built all our barns, and a duck hunting boat, with nothing but hand
tools in the early 50's ... thank gawd for electricity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Larry[_7_] February 5th 11 07:21 PM

rough cut

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 03:35:37 +0000, Larry wrote:

Repeatable accuracy of a
couple of thousandths is very easy to obtain. Needless to
say I was sold.

I've got the original IncraJig to which I added a fence.
You're right, repeatable accuracy is excellent. But
there's a big difference between that and absolute
accuracy. For example, I could rip 2 different boards to
3" wide and move and restore the fence between each one
using the Incra. All 3 boards would be very close to the
same width - as you say, a few thousandths. But how close
they were to 3" is still dependent on my original setup
-that's where the 1/64" comes in.

Something's broken on your setup. I can move my fence around
all day long and if I set it to cut 3" it will always be +/-
..002. Move the fence in until the blade ticks against it when
turning it by hand, set everything to zero and you're good to
go. The days of having a tape sitting around in the way on the
table saw are gone.

OTOH, your 1/4" groove for inlay is only dependent on the
diameter of the router bit and the runout on the router.
Measurement doesn't enter into it.

Sure it does. If I cut a 1/4" groove using a router with some
runout and the bit isn't exactly 1/4", I simply measure the
existing groove and set the fence to the matching size, less a
few thousanths. The point is *if* the groove was say .260"
with the sloppy router and bit, I *can easily* cut a matching
strip to fit with far more precision than 1/64".

Larry

dpb February 5th 11 11:06 PM

rough cut

"Swingman" wrote in message

[...]

The granary/elevator, house and barn here were all built prior to 1920
and all except the elevator (which was first building on the place
beginning in 1914 and predates the old Delco WindCharger as well) show
signs of power tools. Most was hand work, of course, but tools were in
use besides. The most obvious was in the shaping work in finish work
where obviously there was a shaper in use.

-MIKE- February 5th 11 11:14 PM

rough cut

"Swingman" wrote in message

[...]

A friends of mine built his first house with a chainsaw and hammer.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Swingman February 5th 11 11:24 PM

rough cut

On 2/5/2011 5:06 PM, dpb wrote:
Swingman wrote:

I helped my grandfather and an uncle build/add on to their houses in
the middle of the last century, with nothing but hand tools. My dad
and I built all our barns, and a duck hunting boat, with nothing but
hand tools in the early 50's ... thank gawd for electricity.

The granary/elevator, house and barn here were all built prior to 1920
and all except the elevator (which was first building on the place
beginning in 1914 and predates the old Delco WindCharger as well) show
signs of power tools. Most was hand work, of course, but tools were in
use besides. The most obvious was in the shaping work in finish work
where obviously there was a shaper in use.

My maternal grandfather owned a sawmill and had a shop on his farm,
between Eunice and Basile, LA ... anyone familiar with rural LA in this
time period (mid to late 40's and into the early 50's) will not be
surprised to know that it was routine to see fifty or so teams and
buggy's in front of the church on a Sunday morning. Hell, they were
lucky to have gravel roads, much less electricity, into the late 40's.

My grandfather felled the trees, cut and dried the lumber and built the
farm house, the outbuildings, the shop and all the furniture in the
house from oak and hog pecan on his land. His shop, a place I spent a
considerable amount of time in as a youngster playing, and working doing
minor woodworking chores for him, did not have a single electric tool in
it. I learned to use a hand saw to rip at the age of six ... wrote a
story about that that was posted here a few years back called "A gloat
of magical proportions".

I would give anything to have him come sit in _my_ shop for just ten
minutes and see how much things have changed in that time.

Age based perspective colors a lot of attitudes and opinions about
woodworking, to say the least. :)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

DGDevin February 5th 11 11:30 PM

rough cut

"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...

A friends of mine built his first house with a chainsaw and hammer.

Well we lived in a cardboard box in the middle of the road....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Swingman February 5th 11 11:35 PM

rough cut

On 2/5/2011 5:14 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

A friends of mine built his first house with a chainsaw and hammer.

I'm not surprised in the least (after some of the places I stayed in the
Army) You do what you gotta do ... :)

AAMOF, I once had a "house" built, in Papua New Guinea, for 12 pounds
AUS and a carton of Marlboro cigarettes, and without a nail in it ...
but that's a different story. :)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

dpb February 6th 11 12:19 AM

rough cut

Swingman wrote:
lucky to have gravel roads, much less electricity, into the late 40's.

We didn't get REA power until '48 after WW II. The Delco went in
sometime very early but I don't know exactly when--the first picture I
have of the barn shows the power to it and the house was wired in
preparation when it was built in '15-'16.

I do not know (never thought to ask Dad) how they powered the equipment,
the 32V DC windcharger surely didn't.

The elevator (first overhead grain storage on farm in the county) was
initally powered w/ gasoline engine and jackshafts/flat belts; I presume
they must have set up a shop area somewhere similarly but that's
supposition, not knowledge.

RicodJour February 6th 11 12:35 AM

rough cut

On Feb 4, 3:19 pm, Swingman wrote:
[...]

So let me see if I understand the situation.

You are messing around on the playground, you **** in someone's
lunchbox, and when the other kid ****es back in your lunchbox you
threaten to tell the teacher. That about sum it up, Karl?

There are lots of types on Usenet, but you're a unique one, for sure.
I've spent more time on construction and home repair newsgroups as
those are where I have the most experience. There are people who enjoy
busting my balls, and I enjoy busting their balls, mainly in good fun
(Josepi being an exception that I doubt you'll disagree with), but
you're one of the first seemingly sane people who has a god complex
about their answers. You seem to think you're the Pope of Woodworking
and your answers are infallible. Sorry, but neither you or the guy
with the funny lacrosse stick is infallible. Yep, you have some
chops, and for the most part you do know what you're talking about,
and I respect that, but, well, sometimes you're just a couple of rungs
from the top of the ladder. It's a fooking forum, Karl, not your
house and I'm not your guest. If you're wrong, I'll point it out.
It's as simple as that.

I went back to see when you and I had our first interaction - it's
interesting, check it out:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...97bf140f30a689

Do you find that interesting? I find that interesting. I really got
a kick out of your last post in that thread.
On Mar 24 2007, 12:53 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
Quite sufficient? Really? Using plywood to support stone is
insufficient in any cantilever situation.

Like all blanket statements, both erroneous and demonstrating a basic
misunderstanding of engineering and construction techniques.

I had a good laugh at that one. Please note I did not try to flaunt
my background or anything like that at any time to support my
opinion. We've both met MDs, PEs and Archs that we wouldn't trust as
far as we could throw them. Initials after a name don't do it for
me. Also note that Robatoy, who has more countertop experience than
both of us combined, agreed with me in that post. You took that as
sucking up to him, when it was simply treating each other with
respect. I've had recent differences with him when he goes off on his
WTF-are-you-guys-south-of-the-border-doing?! schtick, and I give him
grief for that, even though I am often wondering the same thing. But
the only time I truly bust somebody's balls is when they're acting
like an a-hole defending something they really shouldn't be defending.

As far as your work and what I wrote - you deserved a spanking. You
challenged me by posting your stuff, and I accepted that challenge.
But you are right on one count - I don't know what particular codes
hold sway in your neck of the woods. I know generally it's the IRC,
but I also know that Texas likes to do things their own way. I won't
be churlish and demand to see documented proof, as we both know that
is ridiculous for any number of reasons.

The bottom line is - you treat me with respect and I will treat you
with respect, even if - excuse me - even when we disagree. If you
don't treat me with respect, I may or may not treat you with respect
depending on my mood at that moment, and I will reserve the right to
bust your balls as I see fit. Your call, I'm okay with either, though
I would prefer the former.

As a little token, and to show you what a stand up guy I am, I'll
offer up something for nothing. Enjoy.
https://txcpa.cpa.state.tx.us/up/Search.jsp
Type in your last name, and a belated Merry Christmas. Buy something
Festool, or some nice handplanes, on me.

-MIKE- February 6th 11 12:52 AM

rough cut

On 2/5/11 5:35 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/5/2011 5:14 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

A friends of mine built his first house with a chainsaw and hammer.

I'm not surprised in the least (after some of the places I stayed in the
Army) You do what you gotta do ... :)

AAMOF, I once had a "house" built, in Papua New Guinea, for 12 pounds
AUS and a carton of Marlboro cigarettes, and without a nail in it ...
but that's a different story. :)

Having recently used a chainsaw for the first time, I'm much less in awe
of those chainsaw sculpture guys at the fair. It didn't take long at all
to get very accurate with the thing.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Swingman February 6th 11 01:37 AM

rough cut

On 2/5/2011 6:35 PM, RicodJour wrote:

snipped hot air, of the most despicable kind, anonymous

don't treat me with respect, I may or may not treat you with respect
depending on my mood at that moment, and I will reserve the right to
bust your balls as I see fit.

I'm more than happy to take your best shots, Bubba ... Fire away.

But it'll take real balls, something anonymity belies.

The question, as it always has been, is whether you have sufficient
chops ... an always doubtful state of affairs for those relying on
anonymity as a shield for falsehoods.

Until you stop hiding, you're the joke.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

RicodJour February 6th 11 04:00 AM

rough cut

On Feb 5, 8:37 pm, Swingman wrote:
On 2/5/2011 6:35 PM, RicodJour wrote:

snipped hot air, of the most despicable kind, anonymous

don't treat me with respect, I may or may not treat you with respect
depending on my mood at that moment, and I will reserve the right to
bust your balls as I see fit.

I'm more than happy to take your best shots, Bubba ... Fire away.

But it'll take real balls, something anonymity belies.

The question, as it always has been, is whether you have sufficient
chops ... an always doubtful state of affairs for those relying on
anonymity as a shield for falsehoods.

Until you stop hiding, you're the joke.

Sigh. My dear, Karl*, as I said earlier, yelling, "Hey! I'm a maroon
impress me!" won't elicit good results.

I promise one day I will show you my work, but it won't be on the
internet. If it means that much to you I don't mind taking a
vacation. We'll go to a bar, listen to some music, and I'll show you
my work in person. You can admit in the anonymity of a bar that
you've been acting childish for years. And you won't have to do it in
front of other people on the internet. You'll be able to save face,
and I also promise that I'll never mention it in any newsgroup at any
time. I'm big like that. I'll buy the first round. Beer only, so
don't go pulling any of that top shelf stuff. I'm quite serious.

I do have one question. Since you reject everything I say, does that
mean you're not going to go after the unclaimed property money I found
for you in that link I posted earlier? I didn't have to do that. If
I wanted to 'hurt' you I could have simply kept my mouth shut, right?
It's quite a bit of money, too. I'm guessing 1950 shares of stock has
to be, what? Twenty or thirty grand? I just paid your mortgage for a
year or two, and I didn't even get a thank you. If you reject my
efforts on your behalf, and you've let your attention to detail lapse
in this matter as well, for 18 years, hell, you obviously don't need
the money, so why don't you donate it? Donating it in my name,
anonymous, would be a gentlemanly and charitable thing to do. I'll
still buy the first round either way.

* Assuming that Karl is your real name. I've never met you, I've
never seen you, I don't know anyone that knows you, and I've never
seen your birth certificate. For all I know you were born in Kenya.
Post your notarized birth certificate forthwith! ;)

Bill[_37_] February 6th 11 04:14 AM

rough cut

RicodJour wrote:
On Feb 5, 8:37 pm, wrote:
[...]

Gosh, do you carve tie-clasps? Folks with great chops often seem to be
more modest. Even James Krenov was more modest.

You can admit in the anonymity of a bar that
you've been acting childish for years. And you won't have to do it in
front of other people on the internet. You'll be able to save face,
and I also promise that I'll never mention it in any newsgroup at any
time. I'm big like that. I'll buy the first round. Beer only, so
don't go pulling any of that top shelf stuff.

I'm quite serious.

I'm sure. Do you have any publications?

Mike Marlow[_2_] February 6th 11 01:50 PM

rough cut

-MIKE- wrote:

Having recently used a chainsaw for the first time, I'm much less in
awe of those chainsaw sculpture guys at the fair. It didn't take
long at all to get very accurate with the thing.

If you can do that kind of thing (even after a little practice), I'm going
to be in awe of you! My son is one of those guys that can do that kind of
thing, and I have no idea where he gets that from. Some people have it and
the rest of us don't. I just can't figure out how some people can look at a
log or a block of ice, and see something inside it, and then just cut away
everything else. Hell too me, it's just a hunk of wood or ice.

--

-Mike-

-MIKE- February 6th 11 06:10 PM

rough cut

On 2/6/11 7:50 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Having recently used a chainsaw for the first time, I'm much less in
awe of those chainsaw sculpture guys at the fair. It didn't take
long at all to get very accurate with the thing.

If you can do that kind of thing (even after a little practice), I'm going
to be in awe of you! My son is one of those guys that can do that kind of
thing, and I have no idea where he gets that from. Some people have it and
the rest of us don't. I just can't figure out how some people can look at a
log or a block of ice, and see something inside it, and then just cut away
everything else. Hell too me, it's just a hunk of wood or ice.

I'm not talking about the creative side of it. About all I could ever
make from play-dough was a multi-colored turd. I'm just talking about
the dexterity and accuracy one attains, fairly quickly, with a chain saw.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

RicodJour February 6th 11 06:32 PM

rough cut

On Feb 6, 1:10*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

I'm not talking about the creative side of it. *About all I could ever
make from play-dough was a multi-colored turd. *I'm just talking about
the dexterity and accuracy one attains, fairly quickly, with a chain saw.

What size/weight chainsaw were you playing around with when you were
trying it out?

-MIKE- February 6th 11 06:41 PM

rough cut

On 2/6/11 12:32 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Feb 6, 1:10 pm, wrote:

I'm not talking about the creative side of it. About all I could ever
make from play-dough was a multi-colored turd. I'm just talking about
the dexterity and accuracy one attains, fairly quickly, with a chain saw.

What size/weight chainsaw were you playing around with when you were
trying it out?

Tiny.... I think it was a 15 Husqvarna.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

RicodJour February 6th 11 07:13 PM

rough cut

On Feb 6, 1:10 pm, *wrote:

I'm not talking about the creative side of it. *About all I could ever
make from play-dough was a multi-colored turd. *I'm just talking about
the dexterity and accuracy one attains, fairly quickly, with a chain saw.

What size/weight chainsaw were you playing around with when you were
trying it out?

Tiny.... I think it was a 15 Husqvarna.

Okay, thanks. The reason I was asking is that the owner had a tree
cut down on one project I was working on, and I had them leave a 3.5'
stump with the idea that at some point I'd chainsaw carve it. I have
a buddy who goes through collecting phases, and currently he's
collecting chainsaws - go figure. So, maybe it's about time.

-MIKE- February 6th 11 07:34 PM

rough cut

On Feb 6, 1:10 pm, wrote:

I'm not talking about the creative side of it. About all I could ever
make from play-dough was a multi-colored turd. I'm just talking about
the dexterity and accuracy one attains, fairly quickly, with a chain saw.

What size/weight chainsaw were you playing around with when you were
trying it out?

Tiny.... I think it was a 15 Husqvarna.

Okay, thanks. The reason I was asking is that the owner had a tree
cut down on one project I was working on, and I had them leave a 3.5'
stump with the idea that at some point I'd chainsaw carve it. I have
a buddy who goes through collecting phases, and currently he's
collecting chainsaws - go figure. So, maybe it's about time.

The college I went to was a tech school..... 13th & 14th grade, really. :-)
They taught forestry which included chainsaw training. They used
everything from little toy-looking saws to the ones so long they had to
go diagonal in the bed of a pickup.

Each year they had a big festival with all kinds of competitions like
those timber sports events you see on espn... in fact espn started
covering this one. Anyway, they had dozens of guys doing chainsaw
art/carvings from wood and ice. IIRC, they all used the smaller, lighter
chainsaws to do that work.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Robatoy[_2_] February 6th 11 07:45 PM

rough cut

On Feb 6, 1:10 pm, * *wrote:

[...]

I worked a summer job for a surveyor company and we had to blaze
trails to set up monument systems for the Bruce Nuclear development.
I got to appreciate smaller, powerful chainsaws, Husqies my preferred
ones over the others. That was late 60's, nothing fancy like automatic
anything...Oh and I sure got to appreciate the protective legs covers
first hand.

Martin Eastburn February 7th 11 03:13 AM

rough cut

Sounds like a 15 inch bar on a Husky.

I have been using my Husqvarna 50 with a 20" bar for
well over 20 years. Mine is from Sweden. Current models
are from Husqvarna USA.

I also have a nice arbor saw from STHL. A 6 pound wonder.

Currently have three trees down in the front yard and
several dozen (guess) in the wood lot. Heavy storm takes
out trees easily. Ike took out 2 acres of my trees.

Martin

RicodJour February 7th 11 03:18 AM

rough cut

On Feb 6, 10:13*pm, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Currently have three trees down in the front yard and
several dozen (guess) in the wood lot. *Heavy storm takes
out trees easily. *Ike took out 2 acres of my trees.

You lost two acres of trees...? I guess you're set for firewood for a
while.

Martin Eastburn February 7th 11 03:24 AM

rough cut

I knew some loggers that had two man chain saws. The tip
of the bar had a handle on it - so two could drive it through
a big tree or large buttress.

The odd saw was a Bow Chain saw. The chain is a big loop.
I never understood the real need but it was used standing and
pushing down. - the front was a long flat of a triangular bar.
The center was all open. I think it was a limb cutter for down
lumber - and there isn't a tip to catch.

Martin

Martin Eastburn February 7th 11 03:31 AM

rough cut

Yes - The trees were stacked trunk across trunk on one side
and it was taller than the house. I checked this fall and the limbs
cracked or were driven into the ground. All trunks are now as a wall.

They cross a small creek - so there is some danger and tricks to be done.

I'll pare back the limbs and work top down from one end. Wish I
had a friend with a bucket truck - I'd make a trail in summer and
have better access.

The horse farm behind us cleared a large field of all tree and put up
a fence. The storm swept from the open field and hit my trees
broadside. Normally with others in between the wind would vary and
ride over.

Oh well.
Martin - wood. Now where is the money for a Bandsaw sawmill!

RicodJour February 7th 11 03:49 AM

rough cut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0NKcQtAz7s

[email protected] February 7th 11 10:40 AM

rough cut

On Feb 5, 10:00*pm, RicodJour wrote:

* Assuming that Karl is your real name. *I've never met you, I've
never seen you, I don't know anyone that knows you,

For crying out loud, do you have to keep this endless stream of
pedantic, stilted horse**** going on to make sure you get the last
word? Is being thought of as “right” that important to you?

Are you thinking Karl might be a 16 year old girl? A Martian? Lee
Harvey Oswald? What does that even mean? Did you stick your tongue
out and wiggle your fingers behind your ears when you wrote that?

I know Karl. And his wife Linda. I have met one of his children, a
charming young lady. I sat in chairs he built, and ate a table me
made and finished himself. I have seen *many* pieces of fine
furniture he designed built, all of which were top craftsman quality.
I have even seen production cabinets that were in process, all
impressive examples of custom quality.

I stayed in the man’s house and was privileged to his hospitality,
including his home. He lives in a house he restored and renovated, a
large old house (20's, maybe?) that is a lovely, warm place to be.
With his wife as his decorator and design partner, they also restored
another house I also visited. His expertise and practical experience
in building is evident at every turn with just those two houses as
they not only restored the houses to the convoluted codes of their
area of Houston, but also kept them within the demands of their
historical committee. He has the pictures and slide show made up to
showing several of the other homes he has built.

He’s real alright. And he can back up what he says.

Karl doesn’t need me to take his part. He is perfectly capable of his
own verbal defense, but ****, this is really getting annoying. You
taunt, insult, and worse than a nagging wife, insist on that last,
walking away snipe.

WTF was this if it wasn’t a taunt?

a little token, and to show you what a stand up guy I am, I'll
offer up something for nothing. Enjoy.

“Here bitch, let me throw your dumbass a bone from my magnanimous
self”. It meant nothing to you of course, cost you nothing, but you
want to play the big man and give him a lead on his own money? You
could just feel the sarcasm.

If you were more full of horse**** it would blast out of you like
Yellowstone’s geyser. YOU were snooping around, looking for some kind
of **** on Karl, and that’s how you found that lead. YOU were the one
looking for some kind of crap to post here, Googling away in the
sewers of the internet to find something you could you use to
embarrass him. I wouldn’t believe for one moment that you were simply
looking around the net and happened on the Texas Unclaimed Property
site, and out of the blue your old pal Karl’s name came up as if by
magic.

No sir. You were **** digging. And to prove it even further, you
know his name, as well as his last name, something none of us know
about you. So since you actually do know his name as witnessed by
your intense search results to find his personal information, I’ll
have to pull one from the guys that work for me.

Say the name, bitch. You know it.

Yup.... it’s Karl.

Robert

Swingman February 7th 11 11:57 AM

rough cut

On 2/5/2011 6:35 PM, RicodJour wrote:

As a little token, and to show you what a stand up guy I am, I'll
offer up something for nothing. Enjoy.
https://txcpa.cpa.state.tx.us/up/Search.jsp
Type in your last name, and a belated Merry Christmas. Buy something
Festool, or some nice handplanes, on me.

Take this to heart: Be aware that you've clearly demonstrated some
disturbing patterns in this thread: your anonymity; false and very
specific libelous allegations and accusations; and now your clear
attempts to gather personal information, are a series of actions
symptomatic of a serious and troubling behavior.

You're skating on thin ice and would do well to cease and desist.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

RicodJour February 7th 11 04:57 PM

rough cut

On Feb 7, 5:40*am, "
wrote:
[...]

Feel better?

I got it, you like the guy. I appreciate that you feel you are
sticking up for your buddy. As far as I'm concerned it's like I said
earlier. He ****es on my shoes, I **** on his. Not sure why you feel
the need to get involved, but, whatever. Please do me the favor of
going back to the post you quoted at the start, the one where you
quoted the one line, and read the one or two sentences I wrote after
that - including the smiley. It was an Obama birth certificate
tempest in a teapot reference. Not sure why you'd edit out the last
two sentences that made that clear.

As far as the unclaimed funds thing - I do that for everybody I meet.
I started doing it for friends and family when I first ran across the
stuff online, and found that there is almost always unclaimed money
out there that people don't know about. So I find it, and point them
to it. What I get out of it is a feeling of satisfaction. They get
money. Everybody wins.*

Karl's got a boatload of money sitting there. The only thing he
couldn't like about that was that I'm the one that pointed it out. I
thought about it long and hard, and frankly, well, I didn't know how
_not_ to tell him and still feel good about myself. Whether he acts
like a dick to me, and I in return act like a dick to him, doesn't
mean that I will just ignore basic principles.

Let me ask you a question - what do you think I should have done?
Should I have kept my mouth shut about the money? Would you have?

* If anyone is interested http://www.unclaimed.org/ allows you to
search for unclaimed property/funds from a number of states from one
web site. Not all states are covered. If your state is not, just
DAGS the name of your state and unclaimed property and the first hit
should be the right place.

RicodJour February 7th 11 05:55 PM

rough cut

On Feb 7, 5:40*am, "
wrote:
On Feb 5, 10:00*pm, RicodJour wrote:

* Assuming that Karl is your real name. *I've never met you, I've
never seen you, I don't know anyone that knows you,

For crying out loud, do you have to keep this endless stream of
pedantic, stilted horse**** going on to make sure you get the last
word? *Is being thought of as “right” that important to you?

I was involved in a 'discussion' with someone else and was viewing the
whole thing subjectively. You are of course right, and it is being
inflicted on the newsgroup. I made my point and have nothing else to
say on the matter. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Robatoy[_2_] February 7th 11 06:02 PM

rough cut

On Feb 7, 11:57*am, RicodJour wrote:

Karl's got a boatload of money sitting there. *The only thing he
couldn't like about that was that I'm the one that pointed it out. *I
thought about it long and hard, and frankly, well, I didn't know how
_not_ to tell him and still feel good about myself. *Whether he acts
like a dick to me, and I in return act like a dick to him, doesn't
mean that I will just ignore basic principles.

Why didn't you e-mail Karl with that information if your intent was
honourable?
There was no need to hang this out in a public newsgroup.
And what other reason would there be for you to point out differences
in code/construction unless you wanted to show off how superior YOU
are? And if it was to be helpful, why not via an e-mail?

Karl needs neither me, nor Robert (nailster) or anybody else to 'stick
up for him', he's perfectly capable of taking care of himself.

With all due respect, I did feel you were being mean-spirited about
the whole thing.

Now.. when are we going to see some of your work? I can't wait.

[email protected] February 8th 11 06:37 AM

rough cut

On Feb 7, 10:57 am, RicodJour wrote:
As far as the unclaimed funds thing - I do that for everybody I meet.
I started doing it for friends and family when I first ran across the
stuff online, and found that there is almost always unclaimed money
out there that people don't know about. So I find it, and point them
to it. What I get out of it is a feeling of satisfaction. They get
money. Everybody wins.*

This has gone from completely ridiculous to sheer absurdity. I almost
fell out of my chair.... you do that for everyone you meet? What
would possess you to do that? Friends, family, associates, internet
contacts you are digging up dirt on? Really?

WTF is next? Will you next declare you research the automobiles of
“everybody” you meet (????) for recall notices? It would take a lot
less effort you know, but hell, at least you could tell people you
were saving lives.

Do you make sure “everyone you meet” gets the best rate on their CDs?
(You know, while you are fooling around in their financial affairs...)

Come on. There is really lame, and then there is completely
unbelievable.

Want proof? Really?

To how many others here on this newsgroup have you provided this
altruistic, selfless expenditure of your efforts? How many others
have you so thoughtlessly given away your time to making sure they
have no unclaimed property available to them?

Are you kidding? There are plenty here that have posted their first
and last names, and some even use them in their posting name. Yet
this is the first time I have ever heard of anyone (including you)
looking into the Unclaimed Property Registry as a favor to the people
they meet here. Incredible you would even make that claim.

In fact, around here Karl seems to be the only one you have extended
this fantastically thoughtful gesture to in keeping with your
description of “everybody”.

Karl's got a boatload of money sitting there. The only thing he
couldn't like about that was that I'm the one that pointed it out. I
thought about it long and hard, and frankly, well, I didn't know how
_not_ to tell him and still feel good about myself. Whether he acts
like a dick to me, and I in return act like a dick to him, doesn't
mean that I will just ignore basic principles.

Well, a couple of thoughts crossed my mind after digging out of the
baloney. 1st - maybe Karl insn’t interested in your help. Hard to
believe he would turn down a generous benefactor like yourself that is
simply interested in helping others, but that could indeed be the
case. And 2nd, you seem to feel pretty good about yourself; anyone
that could spin out these yarns for all to see with confidence
probably doesn’t have a self esteem problem. ( No... don’t post all
your credentials again. I saw them all.) If I were you, I wouldn’t
worry to much about how badly I felt if I was minding my own business.

As far as you taking the high road and opting not to ignore basic
principles that is a bit high minded for someone that posts personal
financial information on an international platform. I don’t know; I
was guessing you meant basic principles of personal decorum, but after
reading your post I realize you don’t observe those.

Let me ask you a question - what do you think I should have done?
Should I have kept my mouth shut about the money? Would you have?

Sorry.... no deflection allowed here. A bad attempt to turn the
tables and make yourself look like you are being called out for just
trying to be a great guy. A thoughtful man that helps everyone he
meets.

Horse****. You were digging for dirt and didn’t think it through
before you posted. For a man that claims to be so smart, you sure
didn’t think how it would look for you to be snooping around in his
affairs. You didn’t find that money, nor bring it up here because you
are just a great guy providing the same service to Karl you provide to
“everyone”. You just wanted to look like a big man to the boys.

I would never have to face the burning, ethically challenging, moral
question of

Let me ask you a question - what do you think I should have done?
Should I have kept my mouth shut about the money? Would you have?

because I wouldn’t have been snooping into anyone’s private affairs in
that depth. Certainly not over having my feelings hurt in a petty
internet dust up.

Let me ask you a question - what do you think I should have done?
Should I have kept my mouth shut about the money? Would you have?

A bad straw man argument indeed. A deflection tactic brought to
argumentative fruition by the introduction of a self created moral
dilemma.

Time to man up. You were caught being a chicken****. Better to let
it go than to keep heaping on more asinine baloney.

Robert

Upscale February 8th 11 08:21 AM

rough cut

wrote in message
Time to man up. You were caught being a chicken****. Better to let
it go than to keep heaping on more asinine baloney.

I have to agree with your entire assessment. It occurs to me that if he's so
capable of finding all this money for people, then it sounds like an ideal
model for a business. Advertising that he can find lost money for a
percentage of the money found would certainly bring out the clients. No
money found, no charge. When authorized to look for that lost money by a
client and then finding it would make him look good and the clients happy.
Seems to me like he's lost or ignored an excellent opportunity.

RicodJour February 8th 11 01:50 PM

rough cut

On Feb 8, 3:21*am, "Upscale" wrote:
wrote in message
Time to man up. *You were caught being a chicken****. *Better to let
it go than to keep heaping on more asinine baloney.

I have to agree with your entire assessment. It occurs to me that if he's so
capable of finding all this money for people, then it sounds like an ideal
model for a business. Advertising that he can find lost money for a
percentage of the money found would certainly bring out the clients. No
money found, no charge. When authorized to look for that lost money by a
client and then finding it would make him look good and the clients happy..
Seems to me like he's lost or ignored an excellent opportunity.

There are already lots of businesses that do exactly that.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...608ddb53883967
Some states regulate the fees, others prohibit charging a fee once
it's on the state list.