Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need Help - Oh hell, how do I explain this...

Seems to me that at some point over the past couple of months, one of you
fine gentlemen made a post about sentences that surprise you with their
ending. There was a word posted here that describes that type of sentence.
Damned if I can remember what that word is. If this rings any bells with
any of you English sentence gurus out there - sing out.

Thanks,

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Seems to me that at some point over the past couple of months, one of you
fine gentlemen made a post about sentences that surprise you with their
ending. There was a word posted here that describes that type of sentence.
Damned if I can remember what that word is. If this rings any bells with
any of you English sentence gurus out there - sing out.

Thanks,

Is paraprosdokian the word you are looking for?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Norvin Gordon wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Seems to me that at some point over the past couple of months, one
of you fine gentlemen made a post about sentences that surprise you
with their ending. There was a word posted here that describes that
type of sentence. Damned if I can remember what that word is. If
this rings any bells with any of you English sentence gurus out
there - sing out. Thanks,

Is paraprosdokian the word you are looking for?

Mister - I'm gonna buy you a beer if we ever meet up. You hit it. \

Thanks,

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 00:51:36 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Norvin Gordon wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Seems to me that at some point over the past couple of months, one
of you fine gentlemen made a post about sentences that surprise you
with their ending. There was a word posted here that describes that
type of sentence. Damned if I can remember what that word is. If
this rings any bells with any of you English sentence gurus out
there - sing out. Thanks,

Is paraprosdokian the word you are looking for?

Mister - I'm gonna buy you a beer if we ever meet up. You hit it. \

Emo Williams had an interesting (and timely!) sample of this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraprosdokian

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 00:51:36 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

Is paraprosdokian the word you are looking for?

Mister - I'm gonna buy you a beer if we ever meet up. You hit it.

I thought I had a pretty good vocabulary, but that's a new one to me.
Thanks.

Reminds me of "sudorific", a trick word on an IQ test long ago. The
tester explained that if you knew the meaning and were not a medical
student/profesional, it meant you'd had that test before :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 13, 9:41*am, Larry Blanchard wrote:
Reminds me of "sudorific", a trick word on an IQ test long ago. *The
tester explained that if you knew the meaning and were not a medical
student/profesional, it meant you'd had that test before :-).

Actually, if you're a francophone, you would know it as
"antisudorifique" is blared at you from TV commercials quite often.

And if you speak Italian, you know the meaning of "sudore" and its
obvious derivative "sudorifico",

Obviously, speaking French and/or Italian means you have a higher
IQ. :-)

Luigi