Posted to rec.woodworking

Default WHAT IS IT HELP

I had to buy it. It is a copper tube affair about eight inches long.
It is about half an inch in diameter at the one (open) end and tapers
down to a fine point at the other (end).

I do not know how to submit a picture to this group or even much about
the "What is it" thing I've seen (and ignored, I'm afraid) from time
to time.

So, any help posting a "What is it" entry with picture would be
appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote in message

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
I had to buy it. It is a copper tube affair about eight inches long.
It is about half an inch in diameter at the one (open) end and tapers
down to a fine point at the other (end).

I do not know how to submit a picture to this group or even much about
the "What is it" thing I've seen (and ignored, I'm afraid) from time
to time.

So, any help posting a "What is it" entry with picture would be
appreciated.

Possibly a fid?
Art

If it is only eight inches long, then it must be a half a fid

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George W Frost" wrote in message
ond.com...

"Artemus" wrote in message

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
I had to buy it. It is a copper tube affair about eight inches long.
It is about half an inch in diameter at the one (open) end and tapers
down to a fine point at the other (end).

I do not know how to submit a picture to this group or even much about
the "What is it" thing I've seen (and ignored, I'm afraid) from time
to time.

So, any help posting a "What is it" entry with picture would be
appreciated.

Possibly a fid?
Art

If it is only eight inches long, then it must be a half a fid

Depends on the rope diameter. Could be one and a half fid or even two fid.
Or even One third fid ...

--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote in message

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
I had to buy it. It is a copper tube affair about eight inches long.
It is about half an inch in diameter at the one (open) end and tapers
down to a fine point at the other (end).

I do not know how to submit a picture to this group or even much about
the "What is it" thing I've seen (and ignored, I'm afraid) from time
to time.

So, any help posting a "What is it" entry with picture would be
appreciated.

Possibly a fid?
Art

If it is only eight inches long, then it must be a half a fid

Depends on the rope diameter. Could be one and a half fid or even two fid.
Or even One third fid ...

Well, without a set of wings, it is definitely not a flying fid

"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 01:22:16 -0800, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"George W Frost" wrote in message
pond.com...

"Artemus" wrote in message

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
I had to buy it. It is a copper tube affair about eight inches long.
It is about half an inch in diameter at the one (open) end and tapers
down to a fine point at the other (end).

I do not know how to submit a picture to this group or even much about
the "What is it" thing I've seen (and ignored, I'm afraid) from time
to time.

So, any help posting a "What is it" entry with picture would be
appreciated.

Possibly a fid?

If it is only eight inches long, then it must be a half a fid

Depends on the rope diameter. Could be one and a half fid or even two fid.
Or even One third fid ...

I've only seen wood and bone fids, and metal marlinspikes smaller than
my little finger, generally used with wire rope. Got a pic of a
hollow copper fid, anyone?

Researching it, I see that some splicing tools have a hollow threaded
hole in the end to pull the rope through.
http://ic_spearguns.tripod.com/origi...id_spectra.jpg

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
Hoosierpopi wrote:
So, any help posting a "What is it" entry with picture would be
appreciated.

I think if you email the picture to Rob H., he of the "What is it" fame,
he'll post it for you along withh all the rest.

--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011